Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones news from Bill German
Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: January 9, 2005 18:31

[www.beggarsbanquetonline.com]

(January, 2005) -- All indications point to a strong and healthy year for the Stones. If they follow their time-tested agenda (which they are on track to do), they'll begin rehearsing this summer for a tour that'd launch around Labor Day. By now, you know the drill: Start in America and then, in 2006, move Down Under and to the Far East and to Europe, yada yada yada.

The U.S. tour would coincide with the release of a brand new Stones disc, for which initial recording has already begun. Mick, Keith, and Charlie gathered at Mick's house in France for two weeks in November and it bore fruit. (Woody wasn't there, but he's since popped in for a listen.) The whole band will regroup soon to continue the sessions, and the final mixing could take place on one of the American coasts.

Obviously, nothing's etched in stone when it comes to the Stones, but things are looking good for a busy year or two. In the meantime, if you're jonesing for a Stones fix, there's plenty to keep your eyes and ears occupied.

This month, you'll finally get to hear Keith's collaboration with legendary blues guitarist, Hubert Sumlin. Back in the day, Hubert played behind Howlin' Wolf. But now it's Keith backing Hubert on the Muddy Waters classic, "Still A Fool." (Actually, Keith and Hubert share lead vocals.) Keith's also on Hubert's original composition, "Little Girl, This Is The End." Keith and Hubert recorded these tracks a few years ago, but they'll finally see the light of day January 25, on a disc titled, "About Them Shoes."

Keith's contribution to last year's Gram Parsons tribute concert, dubbed "Return To Sin City," has been making the rounds on Pay-Per-View TV. Check your local listings. Keith is shown performing "Love Hurts" (a duet with Norah Jones), "Hickory Wind," and "Wild Horses" (backed by an all-star line-up). Keith summed up the show by lamenting, "Another goodbye to another good friend." You can catch it on DVD at the end of March.

Also look for Keith, Ronnie, and Bill Wyman to appear on an upcoming CD and DVD tribute to Scotty Moore. In addition to being Elvis's guitarist, Scotty is probably Keith's favorite guitarist of all time.

A new DVD, titled "One Night Only," captures Ronnie onstage at London's Royal Albert Hall with his old mate, Rod Stewart. It's from Rod the Mod's October concert at the venerable venue, and shows Ronnie guesting on "Stay With Me," as well as a medley of "Maggie May/Gasoline Alley."

Mick, Keith, and Ronnie have conspired with The Killer for his new CD. Jerry Lee Lewis had intended to release his "Old Glory" CD last year, but it never happened. Instead, he swears on a stack of bibles he's gonna get it out this year, possibly in March, and possibly under the new title, "The Pilgrim." Either way, it'll contain his cover of the Mick Jagger composition, "Evening Gown," with help from the aforementioned Stones.

On the subject of piano men, check out "Between Rock And A Home Place," the new book by Chuck Leavell. In it, Chuck reflects on his varied and illustrious career, including his 23 years as the Stones' keyboardist. Signed copies are available through www.chuckleavell.com

So what have the Stones been up to lately?

Mick spent New Year's (as he always does) on the island of Mustique. Keith is getting ready to shoot his scenes for the "Pirates Of The Caribbean" sequel (portraying Johnny Depp's dad). Charlie's feeling fine. And Woody played a gig last month (December 8) at Shepherds Bush Empire, backed by the Charlatans. They ran through Faces classics like "Ooh La La," "Flying," "Cindy Incidentally," and "Stay With Me," as well as the Stones' "Dance, Part 1." (The show will most likely air on British telly later this year.)

Also in London last month (December 13), Mick hooked up with Ronnie at the latter's art exhibition at the Theatre Royal. They vowed to hook up a lot more in the coming year. Stay tuned.

Re: Stones news from Bill German
Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 9, 2005 18:37

That's fairly encouraging. Interesting the Stones dont like to tour in the summer (in US) anymore. I assume this means like 2002-03 more varied venues.

Posted by: Han ()
Date: January 9, 2005 18:38

"Also look for Keith, Ronnie, and Bill Wyman to appear on an upcoming CD and DVD tribute to Scotty Moore. In addition to being Elvis's guitarist, Scotty is probably Keith's favorite guitarist of all time."

Well, that's wrong for a start - Keith never showed up.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 9, 2005 18:47

What is this project? A live thing (I recall K not showing at Rhythm Kings gig despite rumours), studio project? KR & RW were on the 1998 or '99 "All the Kings Men" cd by Scotty & DJ Fontana...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 9, 2005 21:50

I wonder how strong Bill German's connection to the inner Stones circle really is today. He used to be part of it but that's a long time ago. Does anybody know this guy personally? Does he still live in NYC? Would be interesting to know more about him.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 10, 2005 00:09

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Lorenz. This is awesome. My day is now made..................and the whole month too.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 10, 2005 08:57

German was still in NEW YORK a couple years ago. You can try to email him, he'll write you back.

Posted by: Gunnar ()
Date: January 10, 2005 15:39

Hi!
I just wanted to post a picture from Ronnie Wood´s art exhibition whics Bill German refers to.

[hellomagazine.com]

Cheers,
Gunnar

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home