Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: What was the last truly great Stones studio album?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:36

StonesTod
Silver Dagger
Some Girls is great but the last truly stupendous one to rank up there in the pantheon of all time greats is Exile On Main Street.

well, sure but when did this thread require pantheonic consideration??? i think a new pantheonic thread should be required for that discussion

Good idea boss. I'll get to work on that right away. smileys with beer

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:48

Well, "truly great" has to be one of the real great ones. And the last all-around great album has to be Exile.

They did very good albums after that, but not those 100% keepers like with Beggars, Bleed, Fingers and Exile.Some girls came nearest cause its a very complete album. Others like GoatsH.S. IORR or B.& Blue were like half-80% great. Some just had a few very nice songs.

Their last good album to me was Bridges to Babylon, which had quite a few good tunes and good playin as well.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 4, 2012 19:09

Some Girls

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 4, 2012 19:12

please stop responding to this idiot

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 4, 2012 20:52

Undercover and the Some girls Bonus disc!

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:18

Tattoo You easily. I think all the albums up to then are great in their own way, except Emotional Rescue.

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:52

Steel Wheels - and fully agree with the above opinion on Emotional R.

Date: February 14, 2013 10:55

Last great one: Undercover. Steel Wheels was good, but too uneven to be classified as great, imo.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:56

Of course they've made great songs after this,
but I think I have to say Tattoo you.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:03

Exile was their last great studio album followed by years and years of uninspired waffle with occasional flashes of brilliance.

The first 10 or so years as a great, creative band, then 40 or so years of them just trying to keep it going for the cash.

Date: February 14, 2013 11:06

His Majesty
Exile was their last great studio album followed by years and years of uninspired waffle with occasional flashes of brilliance.

The first 10 or so years as a great, creative band, then 40 or so years of them just trying to keep it going for the cash.

What's wrong with Tattoo You??

Date: February 14, 2013 11:19

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

A hodge podge of mostly crap songs, Jagger parodying Jagger, some horrible guitar sounds.

Date: February 14, 2013 11:25

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

A hodge podge of mostly crap songs, Jagger parodying Jagger, some horrible guitar sounds.

LOL! Even you would treasure soulful tunes like No Use In Crying and Waiting On A Friend. The guitar sounds on some of the tracks should be right up your alley as well (not the Mesa Boogie-tracks)?

Date: February 14, 2013 11:30

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

LOL! Even you would treasure soulful tunes like No Use In Crying and Waiting On A Friend. The guitar sounds on some of the tracks should be right up your alley as well (not the Mesa Boogie-tracks)?

Bought the record years ago, listened to it, gave it away.

Date: February 14, 2013 11:52

Bridges to Babylon

As usual they shine under pressure. We read that the sessions were all over the place. The band was also pretty lubed from much touring.
And it is also an album they took on the road; where the new songs anchored the new live set.
"Flip the Switch",
"Anybody seen my Baby"
"Out of Control"
"Saint of Me"
"Thief in the Night"
"You Don't have to mean it"
and also ran: "Already Over me", "Lowdown", "Might as well get Juiced", "How Can I Stop?"

Posted by: McQwerty ()
Date: February 14, 2013 12:20

Voodoo Lounge, I think!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: February 14, 2013 12:28

Bridges To Babylon.

ABB is just good, but not great. They were not powering on all cylinders for that one and the mastering job has all that digital sizzling.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 14, 2013 13:26

kowalski
Some Girls Bonus CD.
AMEN TO THAT EXCEPT LAST TRACK !

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 14, 2013 14:13

all the albums and the next one too.
BIGGER BANG

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 14, 2013 14:18

Truly great? Exile, as a studio album. Brussels'73 as a live album. After that the Stones are basically a money making machine and inferior guitar playing after B&B.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: February 14, 2013 14:28

for me it is SG. not only musically, but also considering the impact of the album in the public. TY and Undercover have many good songs on them, but too many fillers, but at least with undercover for the last time they made a real "contemorary" album. i like all other stones records afterwards, but i think nobody can seriously consider them as "great" or "classic", being in the same league as the big 4.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 14, 2013 14:45

Voodoo lounge. Don't know why do you all bash this album, to me is one of their best

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2013 15:20

kowalski
Some Girls Bonus CD.

Yep ;^)

One of my favourite "albums" full stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-14 15:21 by Spud.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2013 15:37

as for last albums, I really liked Voodoo Lounge. ABB and BTB dont do it for me, not all the time.

Hope they will release new songs, or outtakes this summer.

jeroen

Posted by: Nats ()
Date: February 14, 2013 15:52

Exile there are many great songs on the albums that came after that but Exile is the last great album as a whole for me.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 14, 2013 16:26

The Some girls bonus cd and Exile bonus cd i play in its entire context quite a lot in the car lately.

jeroen

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 14, 2013 18:53

Tattoo You = their last great album. There's only one not-exactly-stellar song on it (Neighbours). For me it's better than It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls and (obviously) Emotional Rescue.

Undercover is good, not "great". Dirty Work has a couple of decent songs, the rest is unlistenable. Steel Wheels is dull, too slick, safe (aka boring). Voodoo Lounge is too contrived with some real stinkers. Bridges to Babylon has some 'good' songs, lots of filler. A Bigger Bang is a weak effort.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home