Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Have the Stones diminuished their legacy by carrying on so long?
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 4, 2012 05:57

No, because in carrying on for so long they keep resetting the bar for how long groups can go on playing rock music without embarrassment, which begins to define something of a legacy in itself.

Date: December 4, 2012 06:04

stonesnow
No, because in carrying on for so long they keep resetting the bar for how long groups can go on playing rock music without embarrassment, which begins to define something of a legacy in itself.

So what do you call the A BIGGER BANG tour?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 4, 2012 06:05

Bigger Bang before Keith hit his head was fine

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 4, 2012 06:07

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow

Very successful. I didn't see any of the shows in person, but the DVDs show they were in good form. Anyway, I'm thinking of the 2 shows last month, fantastic sounding stuff.

Date: December 4, 2012 06:19

stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow

Very successful. I didn't see any of the shows in person, but the DVDs show they were in good form. Anyway, I'm thinking of the 2 shows last month, fantastic sounding stuff.

Overdubs by your guitar techs can do that. But really, even that is poor. It's OK, you know, to admit that the BANG tour was not their best - except financially, of course.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 4, 2012 08:26

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow

Overdubs by your guitar techs can do that. But really, even that is poor. It's OK, you know, to admit that the BANG tour was not their best - except financially, of course.

Saitama from March 2006 is unedited Japan TV footage (as any boot collector knows). They are in extremely good form.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 4, 2012 08:39

They might have damaged their present-day critical standing with some people. Who cares? Their legacy, once that sad day comes, will be just fine (and may that day be a long time coming). Meanwhile, there's music still to be made and played, thank God.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 4, 2012 08:59

salty
drbryant
salty
drbryant
. . . . .So, it would seem very strange to suggest that the group's legacy has been damaged by not stopping in 1972, when all of their most popular albums were released after that.

. . . . So I don't believe record sales necessarily have any correlation with legacy or legendary status.

I see. Well, how about reviews and awards? For many years, Rolling Stone Magazine had both a critics poll and a readers poll for album and single of the year. In addition to being the two best selling Stones albums, Some Girls and Tattoo You were named best album of the year by both fans and critics.

1978 - Best Album - Some Girls (critics)
1978 - Best Album - Some Girls (readers)
1978 - Best Single - Miss You (readers)

1981 - Best Album - Tattoo You (critics)
1981 - Best Album - Tattoo You (readers)
1981 - Best Single - Start Me Up (critics)
1981 - Best Single - Start Me Up (readers)

Their last studio album, A Bigger Bang, was runner-up in the Best Album of the Year for 2005.

Incidentally, the Stones' only Grammy Award was won in 1994 - Best Rock Album for Voodoo Lounge.

In greatest albums of all time lists, my observation is that the albums of the Stones which tend to feature most prominently are Beggars, Let It Bleed, Fingers and Exile.

For instance, in the Rolling Stone greatest albums of all time Exile is the highest ranked Stones album at no 7.

Let It Bleed is no 32. Beggars is no 58. Fingers is no 64. Aftermath is no 109. The Rolling Stones Now! is no 180.

This is all early stuff.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Voodoo Lounge, Bigger Bang etc are good records, but I believe most would say that it is not as good as the earlier stuff.

Even if you believe that "Some Girls" or "Tattoo You" is their best work, nonetheless those records are over 30 years old, so that is old stuff too really.

What have the Stones done in the last 30 years to match "Satisfaction" "Get Off Of My Cloud" "Wild Horses" "You Cant Always Get What You Want" "Jumpin Jack Flash" "Lets Spend The Night Together" "Brown Sugar" "Loving Cup" "Rocks Off" "Ruby Tuesday" etc?

Can you honestly say hand on heart that "Dirty Work" is as good as "Sticky Fingers" or that the songs on "Babylon" are as good as those on "Let It Bleed"?

At this point, you're just rewriting the question. The original question was whether the Stones diminished their legacy by carrying on past Exile. I pointed out that their most popular albums (in terms of sales) came after 72, you say "sales don't mean anything". I pointed out that in addition to selling more than any other Stones albums, Tattoo You and Some Girls were also voted by fans and critics as the best albums of 81 and 78, respectively, and that can only help one's legacy, and this is the response?

No one said that "Dirty Work" is better than "Sticky Fingers". But, let me tell you something. In 1981, other 60's classic rock legends were dead in the water; the older fans had moved on, and among the younger listeners, there was a backlash against older artists. Anyone remember the Who's Face Dances? Dylan's Shot of Love? McCartney II? How about Re.Ac.Tor? Keeping the Summer Alive? Every other 60's icon was out there struggling to make passable music and hurting their legacies - The Stones alone took Tattoo You and Start Me Up to the top of every chart in the world, and embarked on a massive stadium tour that broke all existing records - all supported by old fans and by a new generation of fans. That was a great achievement, and if you think that doesn't add to the legacy, then perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word. Seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-04 09:01 by drbryant.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2012 09:02

salty
It strikes me as a bit like a prize fighter whose been at it too long. When he was young, Sugar Ray Robinson was virtually unbeatable - when he got older he was still good, but the aura of invincibility was gone and, although you could still see the magic in flashes, he ended up becoming a bit of a caricature of what he once was and lost to fighters he would have demolished in his prime.

The recent albums seem to me to be good in many ways but they are not as groundbreaking as the early stuff and do not have the cultural significance of the early stuff and are simply not as compelling. Also the later stuff tends to sound a bit too slick for my taste at times.

Also, there does seem to be some writers block. 3 albums of new songs in the last 20 years. Hardly prolific.

wow...wealthy 70 year olds not making ground breaking vital music. a shocker.

Date: December 4, 2012 09:04

drbryant
salty
drbryant
salty
drbryant
. . . . .So, it would seem very strange to suggest that the group's legacy has been damaged by not stopping in 1972, when all of their most popular albums were released after that.

. . . . So I don't believe record sales necessarily have any correlation with legacy or legendary status.

I see. Well, how about reviews and awards? For many years, Rolling Stone Magazine had both a critics poll and a readers poll for album and single of the year. In addition to being the two best selling Stones albums, Some Girls and Tattoo You were named best album of the year by both fans and critics.

1978 - Best Album - Some Girls (critics)
1978 - Best Album - Some Girls (readers)
1978 - Best Single - Miss You (readers)

1981 - Best Album - Tattoo You (critics)
1981 - Best Album - Tattoo You (readers)
1981 - Best Single - Start Me Up (critics)
1981 - Best Single - Start Me Up (readers)

Their last studio album, A Bigger Bang, was runner-up in the Best Album of the Year for 2005.

Incidentally, the Stones' only Grammy Award was won in 1994 - Best Rock Album for Voodoo Lounge.

In greatest albums of all time lists, my observation is that the albums of the Stones which tend to feature most prominently are Beggars, Let It Bleed, Fingers and Exile.

For instance, in the Rolling Stone greatest albums of all time Exile is the highest ranked Stones album at no 7.

Let It Bleed is no 32. Beggars is no 58. Fingers is no 64. Aftermath is no 109. The Rolling Stones Now! is no 180.

This is all early stuff.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Voodoo Lounge, Bigger Bang etc are good records, but I believe most would say that it is not as good as the earlier stuff.

Even if you believe that "Some Girls" or "Tattoo You" is their best work, nonetheless those records are over 30 years old, so that is old stuff too really.

What have the Stones done in the last 30 years to match "Satisfaction" "Get Off Of My Cloud" "Wild Horses" "You Cant Always Get What You Want" "Jumpin Jack Flash" "Lets Spend The Night Together" "Brown Sugar" "Loving Cup" "Rocks Off" "Ruby Tuesday" etc?

Can you honestly say hand on heart that "Dirty Work" is as good as "Sticky Fingers" or that the songs on "Babylon" are as good as those on "Let It Bleed"?

At this point, you're just rewriting the question. The original question was whether the Stones diminished their legacy by carrying on past Exile. I pointed out that their most popular albums (in terms of sales) came after 72, you say "sales don't mean anything". I pointed out that in addition to selling more than any other Stones albums, Tattoo You and Some Girls were also voted by fans and critics as the best albums of 81 and 78, respectively, and that can only help one's legacy, and this is the response?

No one said that "Dirty Work" is better than "Sticky Fingers". But, let me tell you something. In 1981, other 60's classic rock legends were dead in the water; the older fans had moved on, and among the younger listeners, there was a backlash against older artists. Anyone remember the Who's Face Dances? Dylan's Shot of Love? McCartney II? How about Re.Ac.Tor? Keeping the Summer Alive? Every other 60's icon was out there struggling to make passable music and hurting their legacies - The Stones alone took Tattoo You and Start Me Up to the top of every chart in the world, and embarked on a massive stadium tour that broke all existing records - all supported by old fans and by a new generation of fans. That was a great achievement, and if you think that doesn't add to the legacy, then perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word. Seriously.

thumbs up

Posted by: edithgrove ()
Date: December 4, 2012 09:34

What tarnished their legacy was Primitive Cool and its first single. It was hard for fans to believe Jagger would release a song as crappy and corny as Let's Work. Recording a second solo album instead of working on a new Stones album was a spiteful move on Mick's part, which damaged their creative output since. There was hope for Steel Wheels, but this rushed album just continued the downward spiral. Ever since radio airplay for new material has been minimal. Jagger broke the mythical image that the Stones projected. They never recovered from this point on. So the first 25 years was solid. The second 25 years rests on the legacy build on the first half of their career. But I'm still happy to see they made it to their 50 Year Celebration.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: December 4, 2012 09:51

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas
I would give them up until the 81/82 tour, including the albums. 20 years of being that good is nothing to sneeze at. The mid-80s are an unimportant blur, and they've been Vegas since then.

these last two shows haven't been all-out vegas. the new stones are more tahoe or reno....

I just don't get this vegas thing, vegas or no Vegas it's still The Stones.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: December 4, 2012 12:00

someone said it before in this topic:

Longevity is part of legacy.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:10

treaclefingers
StonesTod
death has historically been a fabulous career move. it does have certain drawbacks that should be carefully considered, however.

you certainly save on groceries.

i hadn't considered that. but the drawbacks are often overlooked - like you have a smaller pool of potential opening acts at your next tour. and ppl won't take you seriously when a comeback album & tour are announced. little things like that.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:13

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
death has historically been a fabulous career move. it does have certain drawbacks that should be carefully considered, however.

i hadn't considered that. but the drawbacks are often overlooked - like you have a smaller pool of potential opening acts at your next tour. and ppl won't take you seriously when a comeback album & tour are announced. little things like that.

all good points. The 'dead' seem to be grateful though.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:16

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

sure, but they started out that way, so they had to be taken seriously. the "live dead" album did confound some critics, though. then when band members started actually dying, it was like "well, duh..."

Date: December 4, 2012 17:24

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

sure, but they started out that way, so they had to be taken seriously. the "live dead" album did confound some critics, though. then when band members started actually dying, it was like "well, duh..."

it certainly shows commitment on the band's part. You have to appreciate the sense of dedication...or something.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:30

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod

it certainly shows commitment on the band's part. You have to appreciate the sense of dedication...or something.

yep...for our band here, it will taken eons for their bodies to become petrified and then start tumbling down hills and stuff. a very poor choice for a name in hindsight...

Date: December 4, 2012 17:32

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow

I call it one of the best tours in History...

Date: December 4, 2012 17:35

steel driving hammer
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow

i think you were influenced by the title. if it had been called the "out with a wimper tour" your attitude might be different.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:37

StonesTod
steel driving hammer
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
stonesnow

i think you were influenced by the title. if it had been called the "out with a wimper tour" your attitude might be different.

Yeah they wen't out w/ wimper only because Keith became tired...the band was still on fire though.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:39

i do not acknowledge posts that include the terms "on fire" or "weave"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:40

Holy crap, I think my weave's on fire....

Date: December 4, 2012 17:41

StonesTod
i do not acknowledge posts that include the terms "on fire" or "weave"

I'm sorry.

But still they were...

Date: December 4, 2012 17:42

Hang on....I'm ok. It was nothing.

Date: December 4, 2012 17:49

Munichhilton

dang...I just got the fire extinguisher from the kitchen

Date: December 4, 2012 17:50

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

dang...I just got the fire extinguisher from the kitchen

Its appreciated but it turns out I have no weave.
It was my cat.

Date: December 4, 2012 18:08

why can't it be that when a band is playing well...we just say that they are playing well? ...or perhaps if they are playing very we say that they are playing very well. why must there be flames?

Date: December 4, 2012 18:16

StonesTod
why can't it be that when a band is playing well...we just say that they are playing well? ...or perhaps if they are playing very we say that they are playing very well. why must there be flames?

For roasting marshmallows...

Keith was definitely sparking both nights!
Good job Keith

Date: December 4, 2012 18:20

Munichhilton
StonesTod

For roasting marshmallows...

Keith was definitely sparking both nights!
Good job Keith

keith was playing competently for an old man. let's try to avoid the hyperbole and use plain language.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home