Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

TAMI appreciation
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 3, 2012 03:36

there are days when this is the greatest thing i have ever seen in my life - like today

Re: TAMI appreciation
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 3, 2012 03:52

I agree. Certainly the best Brian-era performance and, more often than not, in my top 3 Stones performances of all time.

Not a dry seat in the house.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 04:05

Yes, it is a touchstone performance. Like listening to "Ya-Ya's" or BB I find it reassuring to experience. That moment when the camera swirls behind the band during It's All Over Now is delicious. A brief taste of every fan's fantasy to be on stage with the band.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 04:42

Amazing performance that shows how important The Rolling Stones were as "new" cutting edge performers. The electricity practically jumps from the screen to your legs and forces you to groove. Massive charisma, grit and guts. ONe of the best DVD's of a Stones performance.

Date: December 3, 2012 04:44

i was in that building recently, right there where that stage was, and my mind just sort of drifted - then 9 years later - ziggy was standing there smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 3, 2012 04:45

My parents wouldn't let me go to Santa Monica Civc so I've had to make up for it watching public television re=runs for years.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 3, 2012 05:48

That is a watershed performance. They were completely DIFFERENT than all of the other bands out there in 1964. Mick was especially good. These guys have always been ROCK stars and NOT pop stars. I don't get some of the posts here latley that they were a pop band. I'm sorry but The Last Time, Satisfaction and Paint It Black are not pop songs they are rock and roll!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 05:57

hbwriter
i was in that building recently, right there where that stage was, and my mind just sort of drifted - then 9 years later - ziggy was standing there smiling smiley

Do not know how to describe the architecture of that building...mid century modern something or other (?). It is So southern California. When we moved from Chicago to LA (yes, we took Route 66) in late 1960, it was like moving to another planet. Stuff like that was wonderous. The Oscars were once held there as I recall.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 06:10

slew
That is a watershed performance. They were completely DIFFERENT than all of the other bands out there in 1964. Mick was especially good. These guys have always been ROCK stars and NOT pop stars. I don't get some of the posts here latley that they were a pop band. I'm sorry but The Last Time, Satisfaction and Paint It Black are not pop songs they are rock and roll!

It is how the word is used. Pop was used in the 60's to describe popular music with teens. Even Mick in interviews referred to the stones as a pop band.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 3, 2012 06:25

whitem8 - I'll defer to you saying that I was not born when the TAMI show was on TV so I missed the whole seen. I have heard Mick and Brian call themsleves popstars I just have never thought of the Rolling Stones as a pop band. To me they were the first real rock stars.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 3, 2012 06:35

hbwriter
there are days when this is the greatest thing i have ever seen in my life - like today

Absolutely!

Date: December 3, 2012 07:55

a friend of mine, dean torrence, emceed this show with jan berry, his singing partner.i was bugging him recently (he's super quiet) for a story or two - he says "well, those guys showed up acting like maybe they thought they were better then everybody else - kind of distant, keeping to themselves. that's what a lot of the other acts were telling me there. but then they got up to play and they kinda WERE better than anyone else" smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 3, 2012 08:24

slew
whitem8 - I'll defer to you saying that I was not born when the TAMI show was on TV so I missed the whole seen. I have heard Mick and Brian call themsleves popstars I just have never thought of the Rolling Stones as a pop band. To me they were the first real rock stars.

At the time of the TAMI show the term didn't exist. Older acts (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis) were rock & roll, but all the next generation described themselves as "pop groups" for some years. If they'd had their way, I think the Stones would have liked to be a "rhythm and blues band". All these genres are just words, anyway.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 17:16

I've never actually seen the entire film, but I've seen the Stones bits online. I think I'm about to buy it though, it's only $9.99 on Amazon.

On an OT side note (and because I always like to spend $25 so I can get free shipping) has anybody seen this? I've never seen it, but it was under the recommendations for people who were interested in TAMI, and it looks awesome, plus it holds a 5 star rating on Amazon.

Stax/Volt Revue

Stax/Volt Revue - Live in Norway 1967 marks the first-ever official release of this historic concert. Considered by soul music fans to be one of the greatest lineups of artists ever to grace the concert stage, this DVD features stunning performances by Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, Arthur Conley, The Mar-Keys and the legendary Booker T. & The MGs.

This DVD captures the April 7, 1967 concert in Oslo, Norway near the end of the three-week tour, when all the artists were at their very peak.

The 75-minute concert was restored from the original master tapes and includes 20 minutes of recently discovered performances lost in the vaults for 40 years.

Booker T and the MGs
1. Red Beans And Rice
2. Green Onions

The Mar-Keys
3.Philly Dog
4.Grab This Thing
5.Last Night

Arthur Conley
6.In The Midnight Hour
7.Sweet Soul Music

Eddie Floyd
8. Raise Your Hand

Sam and Dave
9. You Don't Know Like I Know
10. Soothe Me
11. When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
12. Hold On! I'm Comin'

Otis Redding
13.Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
14. My Girl
15. Shake
16. Satisfaction
17. Try A Little Tenderness

Bonus features:
Booker T.& The MGs - Green Onions (Version #2)

Full-length commentary track with Steve Cropper, Wayne Jackson and Rob Bowman

A look back at the tour with Sam Moore, Jim Stewart, Wayne Jackson and Steve Cropper.

24-page booklet with an essay By GRAMMY®-winning writer and Stax historian Rob Bowman

INTERVIEWS SUBTITLED IN - ENGLISH, FRENCH, GERMAN, SPANISH, AND PORTUGUESE.

Date: December 3, 2012 17:19

NoCode0680
I've never actually seen the entire film, but I've seen the Stones bits online. I think I'm about to buy it though, it's only $9.99 on Amazon.

On an OT side note (and because I always like to spend $25 so I can get free shipping) has anybody seen this? I've never seen it, but it was under the recommendations for people who were interested in TAMI, and it looks awesome, plus it holds a 5 star rating on Amazon.

Stax/Volt Revue

Stax/Volt Revue - Live in Norway 1967 marks the first-ever official release of this historic concert. Considered by soul music fans to be one of the greatest lineups of artists ever to grace the concert stage, this DVD features stunning performances by Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, Arthur Conley, The Mar-Keys and the legendary Booker T. & The MGs.

This DVD captures the April 7, 1967 concert in Oslo, Norway near the end of the three-week tour, when all the artists were at their very peak.

The 75-minute concert was restored from the original master tapes and includes 20 minutes of recently discovered performances lost in the vaults for 40 years.

Booker T and the MGs
1. Red Beans And Rice
2. Green Onions

The Mar-Keys
3.Philly Dog
4.Grab This Thing
5.Last Night

Arthur Conley
6.In The Midnight Hour
7.Sweet Soul Music

Eddie Floyd
8. Raise Your Hand

Sam and Dave
9. You Don't Know Like I Know
10. Soothe Me
11. When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
12. Hold On! I'm Comin'

Otis Redding
13.Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
14. My Girl
15. Shake
16. Satisfaction
17. Try A Little Tenderness

Bonus features:
Booker T.& The MGs - Green Onions (Version #2)

Full-length commentary track with Steve Cropper, Wayne Jackson and Rob Bowman

A look back at the tour with Sam Moore, Jim Stewart, Wayne Jackson and Steve Cropper.

24-page booklet with an essay By GRAMMY®-winning writer and Stax historian Rob Bowman

INTERVIEWS SUBTITLED IN - ENGLISH, FRENCH, GERMAN, SPANISH, AND PORTUGUESE.

That Norway-show is nothing but fantastic, get it! thumbs up

The T.A.M.I.-show, too, of course!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 3, 2012 17:21

But is this available also in European format?

C

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 17:22

Cool, thanks Dandelion. I figured for the price ($13.99), if it was half as good as the reviews were saying I'd get my money's worth.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 3, 2012 17:59

TAMI Great Performance

Some of the TAMI tracks are on the Gimme Shelter bootleg vinyl.
"Summer Reruns" double vinyl bootleg got some great early RS live songs as well

Cheers

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:03

Tight dresses and TAMI!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:31

Terri Garr doing the Frug - yeah!

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: December 4, 2012 12:12

One of the most fascinating gigs ever.

Now we know them for 50 years, but this is the baby-version of our band: they are popular for maybe 18 months.

And the “baby-version“ is capable to pull off a show like this!!

They don´t know anything about their future...

In 1964 there are no

monster hit singles (Satisfaction, GOOMC etc)

drug busts

“Big Four“

Altamont

Open G

heavy drugs

Flatbat Truck

femme fatales à la Bianca, Anita etc.

big stadium shows

Vegas years

O2 Arena

When they entered the stage in Santa Monica, all these experiences are not in their minds. But they play and sing like hell. Even watching the show, you can sense the electric field between band and audience!!

50 years later, they do it again with ease...

Priest

Date: December 5, 2012 04:07

Virgin Priest
One of the most fascinating gigs ever.

Now we know them for 50 years, but this is the baby-version of our band: they are popular for maybe 18 months.

And the “baby-version“ is capable to pull off a show like this!!

They don´t know anything about their future...

In 1964 there are no

monster hit singles (Satisfaction, GOOMC etc)

drug busts

“Big Four“

Altamont

Open G

heavy drugs

Flatbat Truck

femme fatales à la Bianca, Anita etc.

big stadium shows

Vegas years

O2 Arena

When they entered the stage in Santa Monica, all these experiences are not in their minds. But they play and sing like hell. Even watching the show, you can sense the electric field between band and audience!!

50 years later, they do it again with ease...

Priest
what a great comment - way to go Priest!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 5, 2012 05:44

Yes, the Stax-Volt DVD is truly fabulous. SO alive.
Thanks Dandelion.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 5, 2012 06:26

great stuff. The baby Stones were a force to be reckoned with!

Posted by: diane d ()
Date: December 5, 2012 06:44

it's like this wonderful time capsule of music in 1964 - where it came from, what was happening then, and the future. james brown's performance is one of the top five (at least!) live performances of all time. and the stones weren't too shabby either! ;-)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2012 07:23

It's also in pristine 'Electrovision' or some such. It just looks like really well restored videotape. The Stones are great, but don't forget that you also get a historic James Brown performance. People think there's a lot of James Brown out there at his peak as a dancer, but there isn't. A really good live Beach Boys performance, Chuck Berry, Gerry & The Pacemakers at their apex, and the fascinatingly hair sprayed, and in retrospect, quite talented Leslie Gore, whose pop hits were produced by Quincy Jones. Just get the damn thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home