Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: DARTFORD - Pictures of Mick and Keith's childhood
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:51

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing benstones.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 2, 2012 23:38

Can someone tell me what "A & E" stands for ?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 2, 2012 23:41

Accident & Emergency

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 2, 2012 23:42

paulywaul
Accident & Emergency

thumbs up

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:51

paulywaul
hbwriter
my sister lives in Richmond!

Well perhaps she'd like to join Green Lady and I in "proposing" to English Heritage that the building in question gets a plaque, what used to be the old Station Hotel in Richmond .... ?

[www.english-heritage.org.uk]

will show her this

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 3, 2012 01:37

Edith Grove
Can someone tell me what "A & E" stands for ?

The reason for the sign is because the nearby Darenth Valley Hospital now provides Accident and Emergency. Livingstone Hospital is hanging on by a thread.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:25

Great pics...Thanx for posting...

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:27

It's really weird seeing pictures of my home town on here.

I live a short walk away from the Mick Jagger Centre and seen some good gigs in there over the years. I was also there when Mick came down with Jerry Hall and the kids to officially open it.

Chris Jagger usually plays the MJC once a year and there is usually a good turnout from the Jagger family to support him.

Dartford station is undergoing a major renovation at the moment and there has been talk of putting a plaque up and even a statue of Mick & Keith in the new station building to commemorate their famous meeting.

When I was growing up the town didn't really do anything to acknowledge it's link with the Stones but now there is a different attitude. There is a road named Jagger Close, the local paper often runs Stones stories & has Stones gig reviews and when the local football team opened their new stadium they had a Stones tribute band as part of the entertainment.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: December 3, 2012 03:11

Thanks for the great pictures.

If I had the extra money I would love to someday take a "Stones tour" of England.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:42

Palace Revolution 2000
HBWriter needs to see this thread. Kind of ties in w/ what he puts together in US.

There are already several books on the topic (not Stones specific, just London rock 'n roll landmarks in general). Maybe HBWriter could do a Stones travel guide to Britain! There is one on Led Zeppelin that is excellent.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:54

DartfordRenegade
the local football team opened their new stadium they had a Stones tribute band as part of the entertainment.

And aren't The Darts doing well? Princess Park is a nest little ground, too. I lived in Dartford on-and-off for a few years, myself. Now back in my hometown of Gillingham, but Toronto, Ontario beckons next year.

I still finds self on Dartford most Sunday evenings for the Sunday Quiz at the Ivy Leaf.

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: December 3, 2012 18:58

Don't thank me for that! I'm happy to share those pictures. 

I also wanted to take pictures of Stones Avenue, Satisfaction Street, Angie Mews and Ruby Tuesday Drive1 but I didn't find them and didn't have the time (I had to go back to my house in Oxford, it's not that closed to Dartford). 

By the way, when I remember Dartford, I don't think this city is THAT ugly, like everybody says. Every English people told me it was the ugliest city in England but I disagree. I don't know what but England in general has something more than other countries. Like a charm that no other country has. I leaved in many place in the world but England (Oxford first which is an amazing city, then Manchester, Newcastle, London, etc.) is the country I was the happiest guy. I can leave in Dartford without problem!!! I prefer to live in this city than Montreal, Paris or Mexico (I leaved there too). 

I can create a topic on this subject grinning smiley but really, England is an amazing place to live. 

Benjamin.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 19:50

benstones
Last year, I was in London for a few months and I decided to visit Dartford. It's not really beautiful but I was very happy to see the universe of Mick and Keith when they were children. I took a lot of picture, I'm sharing now.

I also went to Mick's house in France. I took pictures too. But the problem is that a bodyguard kick me out of the property (I was not inside the house but in the gardenn anyway, it was normal he kick me out). I don't know if I can share the pictures... He told me that he doesn't want to see any picture of that.

Train Station of Dartford, Platform 2 - THE BIRTH OF THE ROLLING STONES

Mick Jagger - Childhood's house. now for sale if a fan is interested grinning smiley

Keith Richards - Childhood's appartment

Me, with a guitar signed by Keith, front of his house. The owner lent me the guitar and took the picture. Very nice because he had work (he's florist)

The Owners - with Keith

Dartford Grammar School, Mick Jagger's Grammar school - Wonderful.

Wentworth Primary School - Mick and Keith's school.

Livingstone Hospital - Hospital where Mick and Keith were born

The Mick Jagger Center

The train station building there isn´t more. It was destroyed!

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: December 3, 2012 22:38

nice post man

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 4, 2012 01:04

My mum and uncle went to Dartford grammar school. My mum was in the same year as Mick but the boy and girl schools were separated. My uncle was a couple of years above but has a school photo with him and Mick in it.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 4, 2012 17:30

benstones

I also wanted to take pictures of Stones Avenue, Satisfaction Street, Angie Mews and Ruby Tuesday Drive1 but I didn't find them and didn't have the time (I had to go back to my house in Oxford, it's not that closed to Dartford). 

By the way, when I remember Dartford, I don't think this city is THAT ugly, like everybody says. Every English people told me it was the ugliest city in England but I disagree. I don't know what but England in general has something more than other countries. Like a charm that no other country has. I leaved in many place in the world but England (Oxford first which is an amazing city, then Manchester, Newcastle, London, etc.) is the country I was the happiest guy. I can leave in Dartford without problem!!! I prefer to live in this city than Montreal, Paris or Mexico (I leaved there too). 

I can create a topic on this subject grinning smiley but really, England is an amazing place to live. 

Great pictures benstones! Did you happen to find the spot Mick was selling ice cream outside the Library?

From timeisonourside:

Mick and Keith first met when they were toddlers, somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6, circa 1947-49, because they lived in the same neighbourhood in Dartford, England, and attended together Wentworth County Primary School.

Keith Quote in 1989:

Yes, that's how long we've known each other. He also lived around the corner from me, so we'd see each other on our tricycles and hang around here and there. Later, we started going to different schools, but I'd still run into him now and again. I once saw Mick outside Dartford Library selling ice creams from a refrigerated trolley-summer job.

Date: December 4, 2012 18:08

2000 LYFH
benstones

Great pictures benstones! Did you happen to find the spot Mick was selling ice cream outside the Library?

From timeisonourside:

Mick and Keith first met when they were toddlers, somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6, circa 1947-49, because they lived in the same neighbourhood in Dartford, England, and attended together Wentworth County Primary School.

Keith Quote in 1989:

Yes, that's how long we've known each other. He also lived around the corner from me, so we'd see each other on our tricycles and hang around here and there. Later, we started going to different schools, but I'd still run into him now and again. I once saw Mick outside Dartford Library selling ice creams from a refrigerated trolley-summer job.

Wow! No I didn't know that!! Where is the Dartford Library?

Benjamin.

Date: December 4, 2012 18:41

benstones
Where is the Dartford Library?

[maps.google.com]

[www.librarytechnology.org]

Date: December 4, 2012 19:06

Edith Grove
benstones
Where is the Dartford Library?

[maps.google.com]

[www.librarytechnology.org]

Ohh it's near the train station. I could go!! BTW thanks for the information.

Benjamin.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: December 4, 2012 23:57

Big Al
DartfordRenegade
the local football team opened their new stadium they had a Stones tribute band as part of the entertainment.

And aren't The Darts doing well? Princess Park is a nest little ground, too. I lived in Dartford on-and-off for a few years, myself. Now back in my hometown of Gillingham, but Toronto, Ontario beckons next year.

I still finds self on Dartford most Sunday evenings for the Sunday Quiz at the Ivy Leaf.

Hi Big Al,

Yes the Darts are doing amazingly well. After all their struggles it's great to have our football team back and playing successful football in a great little stadium.

I know the Ivy Leaf well used to drink in there a lot back in the day. I can usually be found on a Thursday evening in the Paper Moon these days. I will be one of the old gits propping up the bar talking about the Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Punk etc.

Toronto sounds an exciting prospect Al. Plenty of Stones links with that City best of luck with your move over there. Certainly will be different from Dartford & Gillingham.

Posted by: SILBE64 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 02:22

paulywaul
Green Lady
Or maybe just reinstate the old wording over the door (destroyed when it ceased to be the Bull & Bush):

Yes indeed. I was wondering where that had gone to. Now I know ... "destroyed" in the name of progress ! How sad ! sad smiley

YES Green Lady and Paulywaul, it would be worth to try and get something like that old signage back there. A nice project once the concerts are over...living at the KT2 / TW10 border I pass sites with Stones history almost every day and had the same feeling as Green Lady when stepping out of Richond Station after the O2 concerts. The Richmond/Kingston area has so many Stones related places which makes daily errands like school run, way to work and shopping more fun. Great is the running route along the river, passing Eel Pie Island, ascending to R'mond Hill and heading for R'mond Park past Mick's former house (he used to share with Jerry Hall) which is followed by The Wick, (once belonged to Ronnie with Keith moving in for a while) and, after entering the park and turning left, running clockwise around the park which leads along the back garden of Ronnie's former property Holmwood House...a great area to live in with many more Stones links.
Thanks for sharing your Dartfort pictures and experience, benstones!

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: December 5, 2012 05:39

Great thread, fantastic pics and music, thank you.

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: December 6, 2012 01:05

Mmmm... I don't recognise the Bricklayers Arms pictured in the first post of this thread. The Bricklayers was/is in Broadwick St, Soho - on the corner of Duck Lane.

Pictured here - [www.musicpilgrimages.com]

The pub they rehearsed in round the corner from Edith Grove, was - The Wetherby Arms pub. We also occassionally drank in the Man In The Moon further up the road. Lager & lime for Mick back then..))

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 6, 2012 01:19

Thanks for sharing your pictures. They're beautiful.
Too bad you met the bodyguard in Mick's garden! Did he asked you to erase your photos? And how did you get in by the way?

Date: December 6, 2012 01:35

kowalski
Thanks for sharing your pictures. They're beautiful.
Too bad you met the bodyguard in Mick's garden! Did he asked you to erase your photos? And how did you get in by the way?

The big front door was open. Just near this door, there is a little house, the house of the Cleaning lady. She was inside and I asked her if I could go inside the amazing property. Of course, she said no. But a few minutes after, she left. So I decided to go inside. I walked in a way (approx. 500 meters), I was in his garden of Mick (!!!!!) with a little lake, a lot of trees and flowers and I found myself front another big door open. I was just front of his "castle", wonderful. But a car ran into me, the guy was very angry and I asked me to go. He told me that if Mick Jagger was here, he would explose my camera (CANON, 1000 euros). So I left. I know it was bad but now I can say that I was in the property of Mick Jagger grinning smiley

Benjamin.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 6, 2012 02:00

Fun story but a bit dangerous. I guess they could have called the police as well...

Date: December 6, 2012 02:59

kowalski
Fun story but a bit dangerous. I guess they could have called the police as well...

Yes, true, I was lucky!!

Benjamin.

Posted by: ChezMick ()
Date: March 11, 2013 00:55

Hi Benstones and the rest of you,

Even though i'm not a fan (yet), I really enjoyed your post and the links you posted.
You see, late last year I bought a house in Denver Road and just before moving in I was informed that it was Mick Jagger's childhood house! Strangely, nobody mentioned it before or during the sale and I was really surprised when I found out.
Now I'm trying to find out a bit more about my new home but there's very little information around and that's how I got here!
Can you guys tell me more? Are there any pictures, stories, etc.? It's a long shot but I'd love to have some information about the interior as I'm redecorating and modernising the house right now!
Thank you
Andrea
PS: last Sunday (3 March), I was preparing the walls in the front bedroom (Mr and Mrs Jagger's bedroom I guess) and on the other side of the road I saw two Japanese guys quietly taking pictures of the house. I waved at them and they waved back and crossed the road to come and take a closer look. Five minutes later they were still there so I opened the front door and asked them if they wanted to come in. The look on their faces was priceless. They had come a long way to look at my house and I thought that's the least I could do.
This week I'm making a Guest Book to record future visitors.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 11, 2013 01:47

Cool

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 11, 2013 02:40

ChezMick

This week I'm making a Guest Book to record future visitors.

I was in London in November to see the Stones concerts with two friends of mine and we went to Dartford, too. It's a pity the house was closed, as it was not sold yet. Next time, I will knock on your door. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home