Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: O2 Second Night - Gimme Shelter with Florence Welch Appreciation Thread.
Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:17

Agree. Best version ever, far better than the version with Florence.Not only Lisa's performance is fantastic but also the guitars are great and the somewhat slower tempo fits and reminds me more of the studio version.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:23

firebird
It seems like I am the only one who does not like it. Lisa is a way better singer technically, she has the better voice, a wider range and shows more musicality. She is singing harmonics where Florence Welch is just doubling Micks notes.

Look at this version

This is at least ten times better than what Florence Welch did

so as rolling stones fans we should judge music and performances from the standpoint of virtuosism...

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:30

maumau

so as rolling stones fans we should judge music and performances from the standpoint of virtuosism...

No, of cause you can judge it from any standpoint you prefer. Im just trying to explain why i personally don't like the version with florence Welch

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:49

firebird
maumau

No, of cause you can judge it from any standpoint you prefer. Im just trying to explain why i personally don't like the version with florence Welch

i like how she gave it a twist both vocally and visually

vocally of course she did not even try to compete with marsha hunt, while lisa try to play the same game as the original female vocal (and i think she's great at that), she gave it an hysterical, punkish twist

and that pefectly matched the performance visually, as mentioned above she did not play the "female duet" game with mick, beginnin with that retro suffragette outfit something you can imagine virginia woolf dressed with ;-D, she was taller and make use of that, she was aggressive

and mick liked it and fully accepted her challenge to the point he mimed whipping her in the end

a whole different way to sex the performance compared to the cliched ways lisa, aguilera or sheyl crow or tina turner have done in the past

and the powerful and dark groove of the guitars matched perfectly

they rose to another level, gave a different twist and yet remain truthful to the spirit of the song

this is why i liked it so much

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: December 2, 2012 02:06

Keith from 3:54 to about 4:09 The tone is just insane, it's pretty dam close to the original for a live performance that's about as close as your going to get. Look at Woody's face he's even blown away like how are you getting that tone and sounding like that.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 02:13

I like how she was dressed as Austin Powers.

Date: December 2, 2012 02:38

maumau
firebird
It seems like I am the only one who does not like it. Lisa is a way better singer technically, she has the better voice, a wider range and shows more musicality. She is singing harmonics where Florence Welch is just doubling Micks notes.

Look at this version

Never seen this one before,F%$#$%# unbelievable! Bring back Lisa 98'ST.Louis is a really good one too. I think Lisa will be taking the lead anyways in Brooklyn it's her hometown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 07:12 by stonesfrkk.

Posted by: Fullerblindboy69 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 02:40

While she does deliver alot of emotion, she is singing flat on many of the notes. And the Stones themselves look and sound uninspired, there is no real musical tension in a song that demands it.

Date: December 2, 2012 04:39

Fullerblindboy69
While she does deliver alot of emotion, she is singing flat on many of the notes. And the Stones themselves look and sound uninspired, there is no real musical tension in a song that demands it.
Sure that's why Keith is totally blown away after hearing it through the monitors like at his grin at the end of it.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:25

stonesfrkk
Fullerblindboy69
Sure that's why Keith is totally blown away after hearing it through the monitors like at his grin at the end of it.

exactly -- just because many of us appreciate this remarkable performance, doesn't mean:
- we don't think the Let it Bleed version is spectacular -- it's one of the best tracks ever
- we don't think the 1995 live version is one for the ages -- it's amazing
- we don't see and hear the rough edges in this performance -- we do, but the Rolling Stones without rough edges wouldn't be the Rolling Stones
- we expect everyone to love it -- beauty is in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder

but these guys (and Lisa Fisher) do not look uninspired to me

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:49

florence rocked and by the look on keith's face and the way mick was moving, they approved. wow!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:53

Florence was great, did a great vocal. Not better than Lisa's.

More exciting to watch, yes, the performance was excellent. If you were just listening to the audio though, no way, Lisa is better.

Great to be at and would have loved to have seen Florence...hope by some miracle she's invited at some dates if they tour.

Date: December 2, 2012 07:06

Sorry i meant Twickinham 2003 unreal!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 2, 2012 10:57

maumau
firebird

Look at this version

Yes.. like an X-Factor competition or something.

Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 18:58

Everyone was so positive in the aftermath of the show I convinced myself I liked this. Having rewatched it, I think it's quite poor. She doesn't have much of a voice and sings pretty flat and soulless.
Oh, and is Lisa's revenge getting to sing all over Mick's verses ? Did she do that on previous tours ?
Keith nails the solo though.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 3, 2012 01:07

I keep going back to the May J. Blige rendition. The soulful wailing... an ass you could fu*k all night long spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2012 01:40

This one is the best................

Date: December 3, 2012 02:12

It was very nice to hear new blood. I'm sure that's why everybody that has scene multible show's enjoyed it. That said Lisa takes the cake!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 3, 2012 02:36

...I say let Lisa Fischer loose with the 2 sober and re invigorated guitarists and call me in the morning....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 5, 2012 15:54

The song is about danger and threat and she brought that element out better than anyone since Merry Clayton. Florence was dangerous live, she took the game to Mick and you can tell he wasn't sure how far she was going to go with it.

This was true art, unfolding under our very eyes. It wasn't about slick, Vegas-style showbiz with every move choreographed to boring perfection. It was rock'n'roll at its finest.

And to round off an incredible performance she humbled herself at the end by graciously kissing all 4 Stones and in doing so endeared herself to thousands of Stones fan. God bless her for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-05 16:24 by Silver Dagger.

Date: December 5, 2012 16:01

Silver Dagger
The song is about danger and threat and she brought that element out better than anyone since Merry Clayton. Florence was dangerous live, she took the game to Mick and you can tell he wasn't sure how far she was going to go with it.

This was true art, unfolding under our very eyes. It wasn't about slick, Vegas-style showbiz with every move choreographed to boring perfection. Rock'n'roll at its finest.

And to round off an incredible performance she humbled herself at the end by graciously kissing all 4 Stones and in doing so endeared herself to thousands of Stones fan. God bless her for that.

You got it, mate thumbs up

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: December 5, 2012 16:06

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger

This was true art, unfolding under our very eyes. It wasn't about slick, Vegas-style showbiz with every move choreographed to boring perfection. Rock'n'roll at its finest.

You got it, mate thumbs up

Well said Silver Dagger.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: December 6, 2012 14:48

I saw Bettye Lavette last night in Paris. This singer is incredible and the concert was fantastic. If Lisa doesn't want to sing Gimme Shelter, Bettye is the perfect guest for this tune.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1542
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home