Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

BB King and the Rolling Stones...
Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: January 5, 2005 17:43

As part of our cable we get about thirty music channels, like radio on tv, not like music video channels, just music. Anyway, last night I turned to the blues channel and it was playing a song called Paying the Cost to be the Boss from the album Deuces Wild. It said the song was by B.B. King/The Rolling Stones and it was released in 1968. I don't ever remember reading of this anywhere. Can anyone help on this subject?

Re: BB King and the Rolling Stones...
Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 5, 2005 18:51

The song was first recorded decades ago (ROCKMAN. orig version date?) - the Rolling Stones recorded it w/BB on the 'Deuces Wild' album, released aound December 1997 (or Jan 1998). (the album is one of those all star duet deals, but the RS track, & a few others are very good)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-05 18:52 by john r.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 5, 2005 19:04

The song was recorded in March or April 1997.
Line-up: MJ/KR/RW/CW/B.B. King/Darryl Jones + horns

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2005 21:08

BB original version comes from 1968 and version with Stones 1997.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 5, 2005 21:42

Its a cracking album, too. Highly recommended.

Date: January 5, 2005 22:58

Yes, & inexpensive too last time I saw it in a store. Which I noticed because it is the latest item that is MISSING from my cd library - I had this friend stayed w/ me from around 2001-02 (with an off & on drug habit) & after 6 mos or so moved out. Then I started noticing that sometimes when I looked for a cd to play, it would be missing. At first I figured I'd loaned it & forgot, or misfiled it. Then made a quick a - z scan. Noticed around 30 right off, but since then - you know, sometimes you dont look for something or play it for 1, 3, 5 years - noticed at least 30 more. Naturally he took the stuff that was hardest to find again, or out of print. The Japanese Miles Davis collection in orig cardboard sleeves had thinned out considerably, & similar ltd edition Japanese cardboard cover imports on Savoy, Blue Note, Verve, & several DCC or Mobile Fidelity gold discs, & even some box-sets, like "The Jazz Scene" (Verve repro of the 1949 v.a. album, w/b&w photo book.) This is around the same time Bobby Keys' kid gutted my Stones boot collection - 'borrowed' several, then disappeared. Someone must have written 'SUCKER' on the back of my jacket that year...I know this is no general interest, but sometimes I just feel the itch to bitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-01-05 23:14 by john r.

Date: January 5, 2005 23:15

H. Keys if you see this, contact me right away - still the same phone number!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2005 23:25

Bobby Keys' kid gutted my Stones boot collection .... were you a freind or counselling him, can you tell us more John?

ROCKMAN

Date: January 6, 2005 00:50

met him at the record store I worked at (he had 1 of those xpensive RS jackets on), he told me who he was after we chatted, & then we met several times - he made copies of several live boots & sold them to me (fairly cheap, but he was always really broke), & also after I pestered him made copies of photos of himself backstage w/ various stones, dad, & other celebs during 90s tours. He asked me to loan him about a dozen boots I owned so he could burn them. Kept telling me he'd get them back but never did. I assume he sold the 'originals' after burning them for others. The other part of knowing him you seem to already infer, but I shouldnt discuss on this forum. As a father, Bobby is a great rock & roll saxophone player. H. clearly had it difficult growing up (and my family was poor-to-working class, dysfunctional, etc) as his dad & mom both had 'issues' aplenty - Bobby's addictions are public knowledge. H. described long pattern of 'parenting the parent' from an early age, usually long distance, BK had some sort of medical crisis around 2000-01 - inc. major surgery - related to years of substance abuse. H. was surprised he passed the physical spring 2002 for the tour. I actually like H. despite what happened, & didnt mean the 'call me' to sound merely angry - he is a very loyal Stones fan so he may be aware of this site.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 6, 2005 00:56

Oh yeah. I remember you telling that story.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 12, 2013 16:56

Gazza
Its a cracking album, too. Highly recommended.

thumbs up +1

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 12, 2013 18:05

Both 1968 and 1997 versions are absolute corkers.

BB King's amazing. I can listen to BB all the time nearly. I cannot abide his Love Me Tender album, though.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 12, 2013 20:53

I don't like BB King. Never did.

Mathijs

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 12, 2013 22:41

Mathijs

Mathijs

That's strange, to my ears and knowledge countless great 6-tees 7- tees 8-tees blues rock guitarists liked, were influenced and quoted BB's licks, be it with a bit more technique and overdrive. You cannot avoid him. Do remember he was born in 1925.

You don't have to be a BB King fan, but reading your messages I get the impression there's something seriously wrong with your ears.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:18

BB is a real jazzman and loves to tell old stories. We were making an edit to fix an error in a recording of Stormy Monday produced by Sting. I had the band play the turnaround ending and we sliced it right in where the hiccup occurred, he was pleased and we got this story. Howlin' Wolf was recording an album with Hubert Sumlin his usual guitarist and each time they played one particular song Sumlin would make the same mistake and the band would have to start over again from the top. Finally after the 6 or 7th foul up Wolf walked over to Sumlin and punched him out. It took a while for him to come to but on the next take he got it right....During my session his BB King guitar started acting up, I volunteered to look at it as he had a date at The Apollo. To my horror there were about a hundred wires and a harness that all fell out when I opened the back. I tried to stuff it back in using a little screwdriver and I heard snap!!!!.... So now the guitar doesn't work at all. I was nauseous and went to BB like going to the principal and explained. He chuckled and ordered his people to call Mannys as they had Lucilles there strung and ready to his specs. It was Saturday evening and the store may have been closed but soon a spanking new guitar arrived. I didn't have the guts to ask him what he's doing with the old one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-12 23:19 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:25

Mathijs

Mathijs

You can't even say that the thrill is gone, if the thrill was never even there to begin with. But at least you can say that you've never been downhearted, and you never have to ask yourself how blue you can get.

What do you think of Eric Clapton?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:33

There's a story that, according to Stanley Booth, BB got drunk after giving a bad show, or what he perceived to be one, on the 1969 Stones tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 13, 2013 05:55

DoomandGloom
BB is a real jazzman and loves to tell old stories. We were making an edit to fix an error in a recording of Stormy Monday produced by Sting. I had the band play the turnaround ending and we sliced it right in where the hiccup occurred, he was pleased and we got this story. Howlin' Wolf was recording an album with Hubert Sumlin his usual guitarist and each time they played one particular song Sumlin would make the same mistake and the band would have to start over again from the top. Finally after the 6 or 7th foul up Wolf walked over to Sumlin and punched him out. It took a while for him to come to but on the next take he got it right....During my session his BB King guitar started acting up, I volunteered to look at it as he had a date at The Apollo. To my horror there were about a hundred wires and a harness that all fell out when I opened the back. I tried to stuff it back in using a little screwdriver and I heard snap!!!!.... So now the guitar doesn't work at all. I was nauseous and went to BB like going to the principal and explained. He chuckled and ordered his people to call Mannys as they had Lucilles there strung and ready to his specs. It was Saturday evening and the store may have been closed but soon a spanking new guitar arrived. I didn't have the guts to ask him what he's doing with the old one.

You've got some great stories D&G...feel free to keep sharing & thx!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 13, 2013 11:14

treaclefingers
DoomandGloom

You've got some great stories D&G...feel free to keep sharing & thx!

To think I once mistook you for DoomNGloom of infamous memory! Sincere apologies, and thanks for restoring the reputation of a fine iorr username - I love all the stories.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:17

Don't feel too bad. Bob Dylan alledgedly stole records from the people good enough to let him sleep on their couches like Pete Seger and others, before he made it so your not the first to get scammed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home