Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344Next
Current Page: 42 of 44
Re: Show number 2: London O2 Arena Nov. 29 show updates
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:15

Anyone else think Chuck is pressing the "Pain - Ronnie" button?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:18

Great pics, what camera is it ?

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:15

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:16

A couple of things for the knowledgeable musicians:

1. Can anyone explain the amp and speaker setup behind Ronnie. Why are the mics pointed directly at the speakers? Would that not create a lot of feedback?

2. What about the different colored boxes in front of the amp?

3. What about the speaker in front of Keith, what are they called and purpose?

4. Obviously HTW is the song, Chuck is whacking the cowbell, was that not Charlies part at one time?

Date: December 2, 2012 01:22

1. Can anyone explain the amp and speaker setup behind Ronnie. Why are the mics pointed directly at the speakers? Would that not create a lot of feedback?

That's one of several ways of how you mic a speaker. Not sure why you think it would create feedback. If you point them away from the speakers you'd barely get anything.

Stomp boxes aka guitar pedals.

Wedge, it's a monitor so he can hear whatever he needs to hear.

4. Obviously HTW is the song, Chuck is whacking the cowbell, was that not Charlies part at one time?

To my knowledge Charlie has NEVER played the cowbell.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:36

I thought Jimmy Miller played the cowbell on hit record...is that right?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:41

Thanks Blues,

A couple more things:

1. Explain where is speaker is mic-d to.

2. Describe a player's "stack" such as Keith's or Ronnie's.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:41

Despite a few rough spots, I loved the show on the 29th, especially the guest spots. The only weak points for me were:

1. "Get Off My Cloud" as the opener. No Keith riff, and it has always more of a throwaway than a Stones classic. They compensated for this by playing "The Last Time" which would have been a perfect opener. Oh well.

2. Pacing felt a little off because the guest spots (Florence, Clapton, Mick T) were just so strong. It seemed that the show peaked a little too early (after an amazing Midnight Rambler). I felt they could have ended with Midnight Rambler and that would have left everyone satisfied.

3. It was too damn cold in London that day - I couldn't bear the thought of standing in the cold waiting for the tube, so I ditched the show before the final bows and missed Mick T taking the bow with the band.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: December 2, 2012 01:45

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

That's one of several ways of how you mic a speaker. Not sure why you think it would create feedback. If you point them away from the speakers you'd barely get anything.

Stomp boxes aka guitar pedals.

Wedge, it's a monitor so he can hear whatever he needs to hear.

To my knowledge Charlie has NEVER played the cowbell.

The cowbell on the single was done by producer Jimmy Miller.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 2, 2012 03:41

I think blondie did the cowbell on recent tours.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:31

More cowbell!

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:51

Turd On The Run
I've spent the last several hours or so flying through these posts and watching the videos. Thank you to everyone for being so generous with your words, pictures, and videos. What a rush to hear Keith once again locked into his guitar! And Ronnie's playing is also so terrific. Jagger is really singing again!!! The nasal twine is almost gone and his strong, supple voice is once again in evidence. This is NOT the band I last saw in 2007. Having first seen them in 1972 as a (very) young guy, and then through all their tours since, I have to admit that -- to my ears -- this is the very best they have sounded in decades. I like this mature, committed, self-assured version of the band far more than other recent iterations.

God dammit...I guess I'll have to rob some poor bastard in some back alley to get the cash for their New York shows...

Don't rob me I will have my Glock model 19 9mm with hollow points.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 2, 2012 09:16

It's just fantastic to see these videos and photos and read the reviews and comments. It makes me so happy to see such brilliant performances from Mick, Keith and MICK TAYLOR, and to see Mick T and Bill onstage with the Stones again. Huge thanks to all those who posted the photos and videos.

And Camdenrambler, reading your story again, I am really just in awe of your kindness. You had no way of knowing if you'd get a ticket for the second show, the first show really could have been your last opportunity to ever see them again, and knowing Bill and Mick Taylor were going to be there, which is really a miracle....you gave the ticket to a stranger.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: December 2, 2012 10:15

Gotta laugh about the scalpers.
Block 41x was 150.- at the tube.
Got a bit worried inside early.
Looked empty in several 1xx blocks.
Then 10 minutes later I will say
the place was packed. A seat or two
here and there as with any concerts.

But would be great if anyone finds out
how ticketbastards do this game.

THANKS to Paulywaul for a month of
reading, typing in those fre&/(G
letters at ticketbastards.

Got the pit for both nights in NJ,
don't dare to ask the she-boss about
the the 8th one.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 2, 2012 14:02

TE
Gotta laugh about the scalpers.
Block 41x was 150.- at the tube.
Got a bit worried inside early.
Looked empty in several 1xx blocks.
Then 10 minutes later I will say
the place was packed. A seat or two
here and there as with any concerts.

But would be great if anyone finds out
how ticketbastards do this game.

THANKS to Paulywaul for a month of
reading, typing in those fre&/(G
letters at ticketbastards.

Got the pit for both nights in NJ,
don't dare to ask the she-boss about
the the 8th one.

TE
Oslo

I'm hoping to get one of those, there's plenty about - just waiting for prices to go <$1000 and I'm there !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: December 2, 2012 16:16

My "Lady Jane" version - from sideview (section 118 row Q)

[www.youtube.com]

All the Best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 18:41 by Heart for Stones.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 2, 2012 17:56

GravityBoy

I like it! grinning smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 2, 2012 18:53

The Sicilian

I can answer this one.

They are mouse traps.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:42

I'm new, but already read last.
I come from the Netherlands, a small village named Ovezande, in the province of Zeeland. This is a translation via Google, my English is very bad.
I hope you understand.
My name is Bert Strijk (Strijk is pronounced Strike). I am 65 years old and Rolling Stones fan off 1963.
I enjoyed all the articles and comments and videos.
Thank you for that.
Greetings Bert.

[sawoduwhi.blogspot.nl]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2012 00:59

Yes we understand it Bert welcome on board..........

65....did you saw the Stones live?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 3, 2012 01:26

Welkom Bert

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 04:51

I don't think Ronnie looks that healthy. Lisa looks to have gained some lbs. as well. Was he playing Monkey Man with the slide? Do we know if they plan on a tour of Americas in 2013? I hope so.

Date: December 3, 2012 06:41

The Sicilian
Thanks Blues,

A couple more things:

1. It eventually ends up at the mixing board! It then goes out to the front of house speakers (the big ones the audience hear) as well as side fills on stage, whatever wedges/monitors, ear monitors and Charlie's monitor - whoever wants/needs to hear it.

2. Not sure what you mean. In regard to what you might mean, they plug in to one, using that as the master (EQ, clean or dirty sound, etc) and then slave it to the next one or to others, for sound reinforment or volume, feel or, well, a bigger area to hear.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 09:01

clapton71,u knew here or from another dimension.

Posted by: Chaz50 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 10:49

Lee
That was me who doubled up with you. I have not posted on here before but I have been a regular reader since 2002 when I was preparing for my once in a lifetime trip to New York to see the Stones at MSG and the Giants Stadium. That was a 40th birthday present from my wife and for the past year whenever asked what I wanted for my 50th the answer was always “a ticket to the Stones”. I didn’t think it was going to happen this year so was delighted when they announced these 2 shows in September. Like you Lee my excitement was somewhat tempered by the ticket prices and I vowed that I would not pay (or rather the missus would not pay) £400 for a nosebleed.

I went to Sunday’s show having purchased a face value ticket from TM on Saturday when some decent options started to drop. I ended up in a suite which was a decent view and beer on tap – still much too expensive really but it was a fantastic show and the sheer anticipation of them playing with Mick Taylor was almost unbearable. Of the 2 nights my own view is that Sunday had the slight edge although I preferred the guests on Thursday. Sunday just gets the nod for me because there was all the speculation about whether they could still cut it and they were on fire. It was a relief and thrilling at the same time.

On to last night and like you I went down ticketless as I live about 90 minutes away by train so easy enough for me to get there. I was also prepared to walk away unless the price was below £200 so that last minute opportunity was more than welcome. We really had a stroke of luck with the price because as you say the deal was for £209 each then by the time she served us it had dropped to £276 for the pair. I did wonder if she had meant £276 each and had charged my card for £552 but I have the receipt that was emailed to me and it was indeed £276 for the pair.

Good point you made about the comparable cost against 2007 which at the time I thought were ridiculously priced at £150 – we are now looking back at that as a golden age in ticket pricing.

I know what you mean on the work front as I have mates who are in the same boat as you with lay-offs, 4 day weeks and uncertainty about the future. In that context the ticket prices were obscene and by way of comparison a decent ticket for the Black Keys in a couple of weeks is available for £40 on Seatwave – this values the Stones as worth 10 times the Black Keys. Are they worth that? I’m not talking about musical legacy here just in terms of a concert experience – basically a night out. The Stones will always be number one for me and if they are playing I’ll be there but if this is a sign of things to come I’ll be there without a ticket trying to score one at the last minute without even having had the chance of a beer beforehand!!

It’s only rock n roll but I used to like it a lot more in the old days.

Anyway good to meet you and I’m pleased you had a good night for less than you bargained for.

Chas

Posted by: jjf1965 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 11:02

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Sicilian
Thanks Blues,

A couple more things:

1. It eventually ends up at the mixing board! It then goes out to the front of house speakers (the big ones the audience hear) as well as side fills on stage, whatever wedges/monitors, ear monitors and Charlie's monitor - whoever wants/needs to hear it.

2. Not sure what you mean. In regard to what you might mean, they plug in to one, using that as the master (EQ, clean or dirty sound, etc) and then slave it to the next one or to others, for sound reinforment or volume, feel or, well, a bigger area to hear.

Were was the mixing board anyway? This was the first concert I have attended were there was no mixing board front of stage?

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: December 3, 2012 11:45

My recording of Midnight Rambler with Mick Taylor at O2 Arena, London 29th November 2012.
Filmed from section 118 row Q.

Quite good, but the sound can be a little "overloaded" in the bass at some parts.

Don't understand why or how, but the files I've uploaded for this and Lady Jane have been 720x576 - on YouTube they ends up as 640x360 ???

All the Best!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 11:49

I am not no Florence W fan.....but shit THAT is the best Gimme Shelter I have heard for many a long decade BECAUSE of her - AND KEITH being so bloody stunning himself!

The BAND just smoked THAT outta the park!

Rod

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 3, 2012 14:04

GravityBoy

LOL, very funny

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: December 3, 2012 15:24

Suggestive Shadows on Lisasmiling smiley

[youtube]

[/youtube]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344Next
Current Page: 42 of 44

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home