Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13
Re: Mick Taylor On Midnight Rambler: Who has the video/audio?
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:45

I am happy for Taylor. Perhaps these shows will give him some closure on this aspect of his life and career and give him some well deserved kudos and (from some people) some love for his extraordinary contributions to this band at a significant time in its history. I am listening MR (thank you!), but cannot help thinking that this was an opportunity missed. Why MR? Although I admire what Taylor played on the song post-’69, I very often did not like it. There were a number of better options. I would have loved to hear him play on WH. Why not Keith on acoustic, Ronnie on pedal steel? If you are going to have the beautiful sound of that choir, why not have a guitarist with a sense of tone and elegance to match that sound? Which brings me to how I feel about the whole tour. It seems to me that this is a way to make some money and make the biggest splash with the least amount of risk or effort. After so many years two new songs, some old ones and a choir is not a substitute for courage or creativity. Perhaps that explains MR. Throw three guitars at that song is a fairly easy and safe bet be it good or bad. In ’73 it was chaotic enough for me with two. The appearances of Wyman and Taylor were just that…appearances. Taking the time to mesh them into something more than a mere appearance seems to be…too much work. Going into the studio and creating something? Too risky.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:46

Thank You
Thank You
Thank You

Mick Taylor onstage with the Stones doing Midnight Rambler in 2012.

Keith applauding Mick’s performance and hugging him at the end.

Unbelievable!

Can’t wait to see them in NJ. Hope Taylor & Wyman make the trip.

God Bless the Rolling Stones!

Posted by: hbwriter ()

pmk251
I am happy for Taylor. Perhaps these shows will give him some closure on this aspect of his life and career and give him some well deserved kudos and (from some people) some love for his extraordinary contributions to this band at a significant time in its history. I am listening MR (thank you!), but cannot help thinking that this was an opportunity missed. Why MR? Although I admire what Taylor played on the song post-’69, I very often did not like it. There were a number of better options. I would have loved to hear him play on WH. Why not Keith on acoustic, Ronnie on pedal steel? If you are going to have the beautiful sound of that choir, why not have a guitarist with a sense of tone and elegance to match that sound? Which brings me to how I feel about the whole tour. It seems to me that this is a way to make some money and make the biggest splash with the least amount of risk or effort. After so many years two new songs, some old ones and a choir is not a substitute for courage or creativity. Perhaps that explains MR. Throw three guitars at that song is a fairly easy and safe bet be it good or bad. In ’73 it was chaotic enough for me with two. The appearances of Wyman and Taylor were just that…appearances. Taking the time to mesh them into something more than a mere appearance seems to be…too much work. Going into the studio and creating something? Too risky.
solid take

G R E A T !! Thank you.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:48

Thanks so much for posting this performance. It gave me the chills. It was historic and sounded great to me, taking everything into consideration (so many years gone by, everyone's age, etc.). MJ: how can he still move like he does at his age?? Unreal.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:49

thanks toomuchforme. You did a great job.

Times have changed of course. It's nice to see them together for a few minutes.

Guess I'm kinda sad, melancholy if you will.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:49

That wasn't bad at all!!
Imagine just how good Mick Taylor would be after a few more gigs.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:50

RS twitt liked that one...

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:52

Thanks, toomuchforme!

Shaky performance at times, but also quite groovin' for a while. Touching to see 'em together, and they sure let Mick play a lot of leads. If it's actually true that he will play with them in New York, there will probably be some good jams to look forward to.

Posted by: Barnestormer ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:53

I can't believe what I just saw.
Was it the REAL MT?????
I've seen him countless times with the Stones and on his own.NEVER saw him moving around the front of the stage more than last night's 12 minutes on Midnight Rambler.Unbelievable to see him having so much fun I think.
Don't get me wrong,I saw him playing better many times,but "jumping around in the front with Mick J." was so unreal.Ronnie and Keith in the back...Seems they all had fun,so I really hope this wasn't THE LAST TIME.
Had I ever considered buying a ticket...those 12 minutes would've been worth it.

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:53

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Nice. Glad to see it!

Glad to see anything!

Posted by: roby ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:55

toomuchforme
here is my shot

Ha, thanks so much smiling smiley I'm so happy too see Mick Taylor again. Back to the Stones gold era !

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:56

LieB
Thanks, toomuchforme!

Shaky performance at times, but also quite groovin' for a while. Touching to see 'em together, and they sure let Mick play a lot of leads. If it's actually true that he will play with them in New York, there will probably be some good jams to look forward to.

Indeed a little soft in the middle. Not sure how many times they rehearsed the song with Taylor but I hope they run through it a few more times before the PPV. It's hard to tell on the video but Taylor is definitely taking over the entire sound which is good obviously but it' hard to hear the Charlie/Keith groove that actually still works in this song. Hopefully Mick can balance out the lead with some rhythm and ground the song a little bit.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:56

What did you record that on, may I ask please, toomuch?

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 22:59

Thanks for your shot, it's a pleasure for me to see Mick Taylor with
the Stones. Mick T, Back home...

Date: November 26, 2012 23:00

More specific observations, all IMO:

Taylor is bright eyed and bushy tailed. I'm guessing his dental health issues have been cured.

Keith is uncomfortable having MT in the spotlight.

Too many cooks in the kitchen...

We need more Taylor time, to develop something. Can't expect miracles in 12 minutes. I'm guessing if he were a more permanent fixture, the stage hopping would settle into pure musicianship. Last night, he was having fun in one (possibly) last moment with the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 23:01 by paulm.

Date: November 26, 2012 23:04

Merveilleux, aérien, rock'n roll.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:06

paulm
Keith is uncomfortable having MT in the spotlight.

Too many cooks in the kitchen...

We need more Taylor time, to develop something. Can't expect miracles in 12 minutes. I'm guessing if he were a more permanent fixture, the stage hopping would settle into pure musicianship. Last night, he was having fun in one (possibly) last moment with the band.

Keith is uncomfortable when there's ANY other guitar player taking the spotlight. He's always been like that. But the two share a couple warm moments with embraces so there isn't any bad feelings there.

The problem here is that this is Taylor's only spot in the show so he's literally cramming all that he's got into this 12 minute window. It's hard for him to apply some restraint when this is his only shot. Have him on a few more songs and we can get a very controlled and balanced "Rambler." At the moment, it's all Taylor. That's not necessarily a bad thing but there is no balance.

Date: November 26, 2012 23:11

Points taken, Justin. You're right about the hugs, and that MT is cramming so much into 12 minutes. That's why I said we need more Taylor time. Let things evolve.

Date: November 26, 2012 23:14

At 3', fantastic Mick Taylor, Rory Gallagher and John Lee Hooker blues trip... And Ronnie face... smiling smiley

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:17

toomuchforme
here is my shot

Thank you so much for posting, heartwarming!
Finally the band rocks like the good old days, God knows why.cool smiley

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:21

Thanks to Mick Taylor, for the best Stones performance since 1973. The Gorilla has roared!!

Date: November 26, 2012 23:21

Yeah, God knows why... smiling smiley Mick Jagger too...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:22

Thanks a lot toomuchforme it brings back great memories of the times i did see the Stones perform in 1973 with Mick Taylor.

cheers

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:27

Beautiful. Thank you, toomuchforme.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:29

roby
toomuchforme
here is my shot

Ha, thanks so much smiling smiley I'm so happy too see Mick Taylor again. Back to the Stones gold era !

Pure joy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:31

paulm
MT is cramming so much into 12 minutes.

Yeah, about 35 years' worth...

Posted by: Cineplexed ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:32

As a big MT fan, Its a dream to hear and see him on stage with them. But to be fair , he's rusty at best, as one might expect. Wish his played more regularly with them, he'd be a monster.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: November 26, 2012 23:34

Sorry,but I don't like very much this version. Keith is so unconfortable and, yes, there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

Date: November 26, 2012 23:34

Seems like we über-MT fans agree that with more time, he would once again take the band somewhere higher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 23:35 by paulm.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home