Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Keith Richards Review from the 02
Posted by: BustedButton ()
Date: November 27, 2012 09:55

PhilipStaniforth
I thought Keith was a lot better than 2007 last night but he did make a couple of howlers.

If you listen to the clips of Gimme Shelter he misses a cue at the start of the first solo. There is then a few bars of nothing followed by a few bars in the wrong key. It's about 30 secs in on the clip below.

[www.youtube.com]

The other mistake was the Honky Tonk intro, already mentioned, which was slightly fluffed.

Having said that he was on form for both his own numbers and played very well on Tumblin' Dice and JJF.

The other thing I noticed was he wasn't as animated as previous tours and didn't command and lead the band so much as he used to.[/quote

I'll have a few drinks before the next show and he'll be perfect again.

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:37

Better video of Happy. Go Keith!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:48

Keith has clearly put some time in to getting some of his chops back. No, he his not the rhythmic juggernaught of the distant past, but he's found a better level and better place than what we saw and heard in 2007 etc.

thumbs up

Date: November 27, 2012 10:54

There was a problem on Gimme Shelter, but I think it was Mary J. Blige that made a mistake or something. Keith and Ronnie had to wait a few bars before kicking in as usual, as I remember it.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:17

yeah yeah, and the Mick got some of the lyrics wrong on some of the numbers and and and ...
and it's rock & roll, people! The whole band was in great form and the show was brilliant

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:18

with sssoul
yeah yeah, and the Mick got some of the lyrics wrong on some of the numbers and and and ...
and it's rock & roll, people! The whole band was in great form and the show was brilliant

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:19

His Majesty
Keith has clearly put some time in to getting some of his chops back. No, he his not the rhythmic juggernaught of the distant past, but he's found a better level and better place than what we saw and heard in 2007 etc.

thumbs up

+1 thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:19

Keith has nearly always fluffed some stuff (even when he was in tune).

It's real.

He rarely plays it the same twice.

Thank goodness they have never been technicians.

I've heard most of the gig now and I am officially impressed with the way the guy has turned himself around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 11:20 by GravityBoy.

Date: November 27, 2012 11:38

Before They Make Me Run was one of the best songs. That says it all - Keith was back! thumbs up

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 27, 2012 12:26

Great to see Keith back in form again, and with that wonderful, raw sound on JJF...
Tonight I will raise a pint for another hero, Jimi Hendrix, who would have been 70 today.

Date: November 27, 2012 12:58

with sssoul

You got that right! thumbs up Were you at the Pilot Inn, with sssoul?

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:23

We were watching from the balcony to the side and rear of the stage and my girlfriend who is really into her pilates and yoga commented that Keith looked as though he struggles with his mobility and didn't move around very well. Having said that I was just glad he was there and to my mind played a blinder.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:37

paulywaul
His Majesty

thumbs up

+1 thumbs up

+2 thumbs up

This time around, Keith is not trusting to luck and "winging it" any more - he's concentrating on his real job - so fewer rockstar moves and posing, and better guitar. And when he did step up to the mike for his own two numbers, lo and behold, he can play and sing at the same time again. The flash is gone - the competence is back instead.

I think he was having more difficulties at the end of the last tour than he admitted to - and it's probably taken some time to adjust to the consequences of the fall and the medication and so on: but now he has, and the results are there to see.

Go Keith!

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:58

After the last tour, he went months, maybe years, and rarely played guitar, if at all.

That's why he didn't sound great when he was filmed playing without adequate practice, or with a long strap and out of tune guitar that wasn't his, ala the chuck berry gig.

He played sober Sunday, when's the last time that happened?

He looked and sounded good, and will keep getting better with more playing, which we'll hopefully see in 2013.

I was happy with what I saw.

Never doubted him for a minute.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 27, 2012 21:10

with sssoul
Right. It's not a symphony orchestra. It's rock-n-effin roll!smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: November 27, 2012 21:22

sweetcharmedlife
with sssoul
Right. It's not a symphony orchestra. It's rock-n-effin roll!smiling bouncing smiley

(Though fans of symphony orchestras also argue endlessly on their message boards about whether it's better to be at the exciting warts-and-all live performance or listen to recorded perfection in comfort at home.)

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 27, 2012 21:42

Keith was great and there. His work was on GS,YCAGWYW,HTW,JJf was outsanding. And that bloody hell Keith'sound. Who wouldn't more of this. His 2 songs were perfect. His solo on Sympathy surpasss the one of Beck. It's another dimension. Few notes, but the right ones. That guy is a genius.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 27, 2012 22:31

I'm thinking/hoping that his head injury has healed or that the right meds have been found. The YouTube stuff looks great. Wish I was there.

Posted by: GrandToad ()
Date: November 28, 2012 04:45

Before They Make Me Run and Happy were so good to watch on Youtube. To see Keith playing and singing at the same time was great. His voice hasn't sounded that good since the Wino days.

He concentrated on the music instead of the show, and it was good.

Date: November 28, 2012 11:10

GrandToad
Before They Make Me Run and Happy were so good to watch on Youtube. To see Keith playing and singing at the same time was great. His voice hasn't sounded that good since the Wino days.

He did! And when he felt everything was rolling, we got a few kicks and poses - but only short ones winking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 28, 2012 11:22

DandelionPowderman
GrandToad

He did! And when he felt everything was rolling, we got a few kicks and poses - but only short ones winking smiley

As if we wouldn't love his kicks and poses winking smiley

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: November 28, 2012 11:29

Doubt he can stretch down in that pose today...winking smiley

PS. From Stockholm Stadium 2003 if I remember correct?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 28, 2012 11:32

Thommie
Doubt he can stretch down in that pose today...winking smiley

PS. From Stockholm Stadium 2003 if I remember correct?

You never know with Keith, better known as 'The Rubber-Man'...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 28, 2012 13:03

As a lifelong Keith fan I was very apprehensive about his abilities . The Keith of the last tour was often a complete disaster, especially in 2007.

Sunday night saw a return to form that I still am having trouble taking in.
He started off rather nervously and stuck to concentrating on the chords which were delivered perfectly. His confidence grew as the night went on , delivering razor sharp intros and rhythm to All down the line,SMU,TD, JJF and many others.His lead guitar playing was also a revelation compared to anything since No Security. He's stopped noddling !

For me the acid test was his solo set. 2 fast numbers and no fu*king crooning . I was close and watched his hands. He played constantly and did all the chord changes whilst singing.Check out Little T&A from SAL for comparison................incredible improvement.

THE HUMAN RIFF IS BACK. WE NEED A FULL TOUR NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After 30 years and about 30 shows, Sunday night could easily be my favourite .Can't wait for tomorrow.

sc uk

Date: November 28, 2012 18:14

The soundwise best video of "Before They Make Me Run" I found on You Tube so far. Keith sounds so great (favourite part of his singing is the way he delivers the first "only a crowd" ). And he really plays and sings at the same time! The picture of the video isn't good though, there are better ones around. I want another solo album with him singing and playing that strongly and expressively!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-28 20:34 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Date: November 28, 2012 21:58

I've just been watching Sympathy again - Keith is having a lovely time here (and doing the WOO WOOs on guitar, too, even before he gets to the solo).

Posted by: jbgoode ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:09

chelskeith
Well, I've been supporting Keith on this board for the past couple years; through his injuries, through his self imposed rehab, and throught the rumors of his demise and how he "can't pay the guitar" any longer.

I'm looking forward to know from those who were there if my posts we're in vain, or if my gut, and some info I'd been passed from those watching him play in the past year, was accurate?

He obviously is playing straight, so I'm interested in the effect of that for the first time since the mid 60s.

His fingers looked pretty messed up, so I'm interested in how he sounded technically.

He had brain surgery, and while everyone says he is completely recovered, how was his timing?

He's almost 70, does his playing seem on par compared to otehrs as they've aged?

His relationship with Mick has been strained at best, so how did that play out on stage?

Looking for someone who was there to spill the beans...

You know this board:
Keith is the best guitarist ever!
The Rolling Stones are the best band ever!
The O2 concert was the best concert ever!
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:31

Eh, are we talking about the same concert? He was ok at best. Not out of it like in 2007 but ok. Same Vegas stuff as always wasnt it?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:41

Redhotcarpet
Eh, are we talking about the same concert? He was ok at best. Not out of it like in 2007 but ok. Same Vegas stuff as always wasnt it?

sshhhhh! we're not ready for that yet. the post-concert glow hasn't worn off yet. please come back and try again in a few days....

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 28, 2012 22:48

Redhotcarpet

Because you were expecting him to somehow teleport through time and suddenly become younger for Sunday's show? The guy is approaching 70 and will never regain the fire he had when he was 30...so you should probably wake up to reality.

Considering the disaster that was 2007...he has not gotten worse but actually gotten significantly better since then. He played about 10 times more rhythm throughout the entire show since maybe B2B...and that is worth noting during and after the "post-concert" glow.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home