Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Ronnie's playing with the Faces
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 28, 2018 12:23

R
His playing had character then. He's just been Keith's foil since 1975.

And worse still - he covers for Keith totally now. Keith coasts while Ronnie does the hard work.

I don't think in the Stones Ronnie was ever allowed to play an influential guitar riff/lick like let's say That's All You Need, Too Bad, Stay With Me, Around The Plynth or even the beautiful pedal steel on Mandolin Wind.
He's never been given the same freedom that Mick Taylor had and the band's creativity has suffered for it.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 28, 2018 14:04

Silver Dagger
R

And worse still - he covers for Keith totally now. Keith coasts while Ronnie does the hard work.

I don't think in the Stones Ronnie was ever allowed to play an influential guitar riff/lick like let's say That's All You Need, Too Bad, Stay With Me, Around The Plynth or even the beautiful pedal steel on Mandolin Wind.
He's never been given the same freedom that Mick Taylor had and the band's creativity has suffered for it.

I keep reading statements like this and two things come to mind.

I don't see how Ronnie can possibly cover for Keith when Keith has different guitar parts throughout the shows they perform.
Its like saying when Ronnie is off Keith can cover for him on the solo to Start Me Up, it can't happen just as Ronnie can't cover a messed up Solo on SFTD from Keith .
All those years Ronnie was terrible through drink Keith played his best to try to give a half decent show, but all those shows for all those years were spoiled by Ronnie's lack luster playing.
Now in recent years Ronnie gets his shit together and Keith is struggling with age related problems he can't really help.

Keith has his problems with arthritis, Ronnie doesn't ok.
Keith does his best whereas Ronnie just squandered all those years, and he didn't only let himself down he let the paying audience members down.

All Keith and Ronnie can do for each other when the other is off is try to keep it together by having to try harder on their own guitar playing, but they can't cover anyone's mistakes , miss-ques, botched solo's or lazy playing.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 28, 2018 15:59

Silver Dagger
R

WOW! I posted the line about Ronnie being Keith's foil - IN 2005! At the time it was true and continued to be so through the end of the ABB tour in 2007. Since 2012, however, Ronnie has stepped up his game considerably. Apparently finally taking his health seriously, counting his blessings AND realizing Keith needs more help than we'd like to admit has brought him new focus and inspiration. He and Keith no longer get into each other's faces and goad each to higher heights like '78 and '81 but Ronnie more than pulls his weight these days.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 28, 2018 16:41

Yes, recent;y, Ronnie's playing has been very good.

Still love that Faces stuff though.

Date: March 28, 2018 18:27

rbk
Silver Dagger
R

WOW! I posted the line about Ronnie being Keith's foil - IN 2005! At the time it was true and continued to be so through the end of the ABB tour in 2007. Since 2012, however, Ronnie has stepped up his game considerably. Apparently finally taking his health seriously, counting his blessings AND realizing Keith needs more help than we'd like to admit has brought him new focus and inspiration. He and Keith no longer get into each other's faces and goad each to higher heights like '78 and '81 but Ronnie more than pulls his weight these days.

That beggars the question just what was Ronnie doing between 78' and 2012' ??

I know he he had his moments in some shows but 34 years of playing well beneath his capability is unforgivable.

I mean Keith drank and did coke and played brilliantly most of the time, well up to 2005'. I'm just thinking why didn't the drink and coke do anything for Ronnie's playing, and surely he did the drink and coke with the Faces and when he started playing with the Stones.
I think its a bit more than just oh Ronnie was drunk for 34 years so he played shit. I don't think he could be bothered to be honest.
There must have been nights when he was able to physically play better than he did through those tours.
Ronnie has got away with murder as far as Mick and Keith's patience and loyalty are concerned, Mick can't be that ruthless to let Ronnie hang on all those years.
Mick must be a saint actually to put up with Ronnie's crap.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 28, 2018 18:27

I don't know if it's fair to say Ronnie "lost his chops." He's played very well with the Stones, although sometimes better or worse...I think it's more accurate to say his style changed when he joined the Stones. Maybe he felt his Faces style was not what was warranted, but who knows? On the 1975 tour there were some glimpses of his Faces style, but he quickly evolved towards a markedly different approach. Having said that, I agree with those who feel his very best playing was with the Faces. And the odd thing is, I think that style would have worked very well with the Stones.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 28, 2018 19:20

Years ago Lester Bangs said something to the effect that when Ronnie joined the Stones he "took a civil service job."

As a Stone, the fame, the money, the drugs were a lot better. And since the Glimmers didn't want to share songwriting, he didn't have to work as hard for his success.

He became a "sideman." But I think a part of him died when he ceased to be the creative force that he clearly could be.

I'm a Faces fan, and there's no question that he did his best work before he became a Stone.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:17

Well, Ronnies creative peak concerning his guitar work was defnitely with The Faces. He did all the work by his own. There was no second player on stage like his son at reunion gigs with MH.
During his time with the Stones he struggled more than once on his serveral addictions. Last time I can remember was Cologne 2006. He was totally off, and Keith filled into Ronnies parts. It was fabulöse what the Glimmer Twins are still able to deliver.
But nowdays Ronnie seems to be stable in his playing. Can‘t remember a No Filter gig where he was off.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 28, 2018 20:51

Some kind soul has uploaded the Faces San Bernardino 1975 gig over on Hot Stuff. Although I preferred the Faces when Ronnie Lane was in the band even a cursory listen to this recording will show you that Ronnie was absolutely smoking on this tour. How Warner Brothers then managed to release such a wretched official live LP from the tour beggars belief - be reassured SB is a much more enjoyable experience than Overture and Beginners, plus it features Take A Look At The Guy and I Can Geel The Fire...

Date: March 28, 2018 21:04

johnnythunders
Some kind soul has uploaded the Faces San Bernardino 1975 gig over on Hot Stuff. Although I preferred the Faces when Ronnie Lane was in the band even a cursory listen to this recording will show you that Ronnie was absolutely smoking on this tour. How Warner Brothers then managed to release such a wretched official live LP from the tour beggars belief - be reassured SB is a much more enjoyable experience than Overture and Beginners, plus it features Take A Look At The Guy and I Can Geel The Fire...

Cool. I gotta get this

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 28, 2018 21:40

id like to get that too..

there's some Face stuff on Hot Stuff here but I dont see that one...

smiling smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 28, 2018 22:25

In my opinion Ronnie Wood played great in 89/90 and in 94/95, that was his best playing. Listen to the Stripped and Stripped Companion recordings. The Faces were okay, but rather amateurish, as Wood once pointed out. Ronnie Lane was a charming man, but during many performances he was totally drunk.
Gangster-of-Love, I was in Cologne in 2006 as well, and yes, I remember that Ronnie Wood was completely out of his brain. In an interview a year later he said, that he reached a low point that night.

Date: March 28, 2018 22:48

Can send San Bernardino via WeTransfer - email me at simon@onlyrockandroll.london

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 28, 2018 22:50

how about a link to Hot Stuff please.

Some of Woody's best Faces stuff is on the John Peel shows. some of that is just mind blowing strong. You're My Girl is a big fav of mine.

Date: March 29, 2018 00:26

windmelody
In my opinion Ronnie Wood played great in 89/90 and in 94/95, that was his best playing. Listen to the Stripped and Stripped Companion recordings. The Faces were okay, but rather amateurish, as Wood once pointed out. Ronnie Lane was a charming man, but during many performances he was totally drunk.
Gangster-of-Love, I was in Cologne in 2006 as well, and yes, I remember that Ronnie Wood was completely out of his brain. In an interview a year later he said, that he reached a low point that night.

I find it hard to believe Ronnie was at his best during those years on the evidence available and on the strength of the shows i attended.

Its all subjective, i just read the iorr reviews of the Cologne show you mentioned in 2006, some of the reviewers said Ronnie seemed out of it , others said he was great.

I agree with you though, Ronnie has his moments and he was great on Stripped.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: March 29, 2018 00:35

dadrob
how about a link to Hot Stuff please.

San Bernadino WeTransfer link in Hot Stuff now expired, hence my offer to send to anyone who needs it

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 29, 2018 00:38

I thought he sounded great at the New Jersey PPV in 2012 when he was up against other guitarists. Other than Eric Clapton, he's the best thing on Blue and Lonesome. I can't listen to those old Faces songs without thinking of the Stones, who they were often trying to ape. No matter how good Ronnie is, he doesn't have a distinctive sound, like Brian on slide, or Mick Taylor. His sound was based on Keith so he's never going to be terribly idiosyncratic. If is was an unknown song and you asked me to name the guitarist, I would not be able to pick out that it was Ronnie.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: March 29, 2018 01:03

keithsman
windmelody

I find it hard to believe Ronnie was at his best during those years on the evidence available and on the strength of the shows i attended.

Its all subjective, i just read the iorr reviews of the Cologne show you mentioned in 2006, some of the reviewers said Ronnie seemed out of it , others said he was great.

[www.iorr.org]

Sir, some things are not subjective - in Cologne 2006 Ron Wood could not play anymore; yet he looked great. In the mentioned interview he said: "After the concertin Cologne, I just wanted - to die."

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 29, 2018 05:56

i think its difficult to be RW and survive the Glimmers...he did....bravo....and rock on!!....his guitar work on B & L is amazing....thank you RW!!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 29, 2018 14:55

Reading these pages for the first time I have the impression that it is worth considering their 'living' together.

There were Jagger/Richards living together in the 60s, always together as they were constantly touring. Then they both moved to Cheyne Walk.

But who left when and what was the effect of that for the Rolling Stones?

At least, then Keith and Ronnie practically "weave" together with Keith even moving into Ronnie's garden house.

But Keith practically 'became an American' by the early 80s and the knot of the weavery was torn.

Date: March 29, 2018 18:14

windmelody
keithsman
windmelody

[www.iorr.org]

Sir, some things are not subjective - in Cologne 2006 Ron Wood could not play anymore; yet he looked great. In the mentioned interview he said: "After the concertin Cologne, I just wanted - to die."

thumbs up was looking for some youtube footage of that show but can't find any.

Ronnie seemed to have this never ending party life for the best part of his adult life, pity he puts that lifestyle down at every opportunity now, i mean he had a good run but got too old to drink, it happens, just don't see why he says stuff like "that was my lowest point" etc. You never catch Keith say that sort of thing, hell man i wake up after a skim-full every Sunday morning and think inwardly "i want to die" lol.
But give it a few days and the grog seems like a good idea again winking smiley

You never see Ronnie falling down drunk and his face and body are not the look of a drinker, he must have handled it well to even play the guitar while drunk, i know i couldn't.
I just wish he said , yeah the drinking was great, i had a blast but now i take more care of myself, rather than belly aching about the drink all the time.

Keith has the best line. "Rehab is for quitters" smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-29 18:18 by keithsman.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 30, 2018 03:03

Well, you have a two guitar punch with those 1975 Faces shows, right? (at least the US ones?) Jesse Ed Davis played those shows I believe..

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 30, 2018 06:00

scottkeef
Well, you have a two guitar punch with those 1975 Faces shows, right? (at least the US ones?) Jesse Ed Davis played those shows I believe..

Jesse played during the late summer '75 U.S.tour but not the earlier one that year.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 30, 2018 06:19

i saw Faces Fillmore East circa '71 when "nod" and "long player" both came out; and were EXCELLENT BEYOND SOULFUL FUNKY BARRELHOUSE ROCK AND ROLL belief;
sure loved them; think they were drinkin' a bit the night i saw them but however wobbling; they never went down; except Rod for a perfect slide on his knees across the stage floor; a polished white....
fancy ass drunk fashionistas drinking laughing; Ron was excellent as the only
guitarist; there was NOT a hole in the sound in any way.
No wonder the Stones great renassance, one of them, came after snatching
two Faces for a tour....
....ron was as i described in an earlier post on this thread;
really tops; great melodies; distinct origninal sound; a wonderful
presence; he really shone in every way.

then i saw his 13th show as a Stone in 75 while Faces were actually still
touring; ron was on double-duty there for awhile.
the 75 show at msg was something i anticipated with relish even tho
i'm a huge Mick Taylor admirer as a brilliant, classic foundational Rolling Stone; cause I'd seen him blow me away twice live in '72; including that last show of the NA tour which was pretty wild...
BUT
five years prior at the Fillmore
with Mac, Ronnie Lane, Kenny and Rodney.....
had captured my heart and rocked my world very seriously and completely
with a WHOLE lot of soul.....
but that opening Stones MSG night in ny 75 for me was fun but not very really good...in my personal opinion; still a fun night in lots of ways tho.

i never blamed ron for any of that tho;
the band had changed a LOT, aside from Mick Taylor's departure...
the behind the scenes dynamics i would not have a clue about for many years
were in play...
it was jet set and lotus stage; a very differenrt sort of relationship dynamic we did not know about at the time, between the principal front performers and writers and etc...
good stuff.
Ron was great in '78. I have affection and respect for him;
but in Faces; and imo on those excellent first three or so Rod solo albums
that were contemporaneous w Faces and also had Ron Wood all over them,
showed a guitarist with tremendousw taste, soul, ability, power and charm.
back then.

Also, imo, and I realize it's not a popular one; I've NEVER heard anyone really critique or admire it very much. but i think his work as a bass player
on Truth and Beck Ola (the latter with Nicky Hopkins as well) is enormously
'right' in an incredibly original ground-breaking seminal genius band,
that started a thousand other good bands, including, imo, one Led of Zeppeliness.

Ron was a hero to me because of Beck and Faces...
i had expected and hoped that he'd contribute a voke once in a blue moon;
and would be encouraged to add more writing and stuff, but he was always
a junior member according to the glims; thus the quarter century money-saving
intern-ship on salary....
....like no other Stones was really a 'junior' member...
im a way...
when they let him work like iorr, he did wonderfully well.
they kept him in the shadows; he plays the same stuff over and over..
he respectfully has so much good heart and sweetness he does a nice
job, and has from the start, on replicating some of Taylors most signature
original foundational parts....and talking respectfully and affectionately
about taylor always...so i love ronnie; but i think his skills have deteoriated, perhaps commensurate with his actual real-world usage
as a creative element in the band.

But he's left his mark for sure.
There are a couple of Stones tracks WAY up the tippy top PEAK
of what they do and Ron's all over it.
so this isn't a black and white issue for me.
I heard those two smackin' Fenders in '80; even "Summer Romance" was one
of my favorites for years...they were going in great directions...
it wasn't the end of the world with Mick T's retirement even tho
Mick T earned; literally blasted his band into a level in the stratosphere
no other band, possibly including them, has ever quite reached again...

I'll always be a fan with special place in my heart for him;
and he's all over some of my most favorite music i listen to ALL
the time, prior to his Stones career, as well as during it...
i'll STILL go to a Faces track in a dead hurry for some soul-saving heat.
he had this dirty crunchy warm guitar sound like I had never quite heard
before; it was just tremendously impactful and moving...ronnie really had it all as a rock and roll guitarist with a lot of taste and soul.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-30 06:41 by hopkins.

Date: March 30, 2018 12:12

I have to scratch my head at all this Ronnie praise, he's just an average player who got very lucky.

There are a thousand like him, he doesn't really have any distinction as a player, don't get me wrong i love he and Keith's weaving and on occasion he pulls off some surprisingly good solo's, but someone like Waddy is far better in my opinion and gets more out of Keith too.

I wouldn't want to change anything , i'm happy Ronnie kept the band going all these years, as a personality he is irreplaceable, and he was great with the faces, that fun personality was perfect, but he is limited as a player, i think after Taylor left Keith didn't want the challenge anymore, he wanted a foil so he could look great without competition. It works and the boys are still playing, but honestly he's not really that good, he just plays in fits and starts, he fills in here and there but he's not a great player in his own right. Just a very lucky guy.

Date: March 30, 2018 12:33

IMO Loog Droog summed it up when he wrote
"I think part of him died when he joined the Stones". yes - heavy words, but to me it tells the tale.

Date: March 30, 2018 16:52

keithsman
I have to scratch my head at all this Ronnie praise, he's just an average player who got very lucky.

There are a thousand like him, he doesn't really have any distinction as a player, don't get me wrong i love he and Keith's weaving and on occasion he pulls off some surprisingly good solo's, but someone like Waddy is far better in my opinion and gets more out of Keith too.

I wouldn't want to change anything , i'm happy Ronnie kept the band going all these years, as a personality he is irreplaceable, and he was great with the faces, that fun personality was perfect, but he is limited as a player, i think after Taylor left Keith didn't want the challenge anymore, he wanted a foil so he could look great without competition. It works and the boys are still playing, but honestly he's not really that good, he just plays in fits and starts, he fills in here and there but he's not a great player in his own right. Just a very lucky guy.

IMHO, it's not Ronnie's technical skill, but his groove/feel etc. - same as with Keith.

Yes, he's the luckiest guy this side of Ringo (both of which had great personalities), but was a damn fine (and fun) player in Faces.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 30, 2018 17:08

Wow...well done hopkins and thanks for that above ^^^^

At the risk of disappointing myself for chiming in on a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD thread, I will only add this...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ronnie Wood SAVED The Rolling Stones.
He is playing WONDERFULLY well today and I feel extremely lucky to still be a fan of his work.

The man has PEDIGREE.

A true Rock N' Roll Survivor.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 30, 2018 18:28

Kurt
Wow...well done hopkins and thanks for that above ^^^^

At the risk of disappointing myself for chiming in on a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD thread, I will only add this...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ronnie Wood SAVED The Rolling Stones.
He is playing WONDERFULLY well today and I feel extremely lucky to still be a fan of his work.

The man has PEDIGREE.

A true Rock N' Roll Survivor.

Ron Wood’s a stud.

(drop mic)

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 30, 2018 18:34

I like Woody. I like the Faces.

And yeah, perhaps Woody saved the Stones. But not with his playing.

Did you guys see the old Faces live?
Really, I loved their gigs - but Ronnie played live as many bum notes then as in later years.

I remember standing 3 m.from him at a Frankfurt Rock Festival and thinking "this guy playes technically so bad but it's still really great"!
He had charisma. Lots of it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home