Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 54
Re: London O2 Arena Nov. 25 show updates
Posted by: Pie1 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:15

dandelion1967
DOOM AND GLOOM!!!

video: [[]]

More from the same user :
Tumbling Dice

Bit of Goin' Down with Jeff Beck, who evidently made no effort to tone it down

Bit of One More Shot

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:19

dandelion1967
DOOM AND GLOOM!!!

thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:22

Thanks for posting the videos, guys. On first listen, I kinda think One More Shot worked better live than Doom and Gloom.

Posted by: pleased2meetme ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:27

Why must Chuck count in every single song...loudly,I might add...soon he will even count in Brown Sugar...GRRR indeed.

Date: November 26, 2012 04:27

What our esteeemed leader has to say... with pix ... here>> [www.iorr.org]

The set list

I Wanna Be Your Man
Get Off Of My Cloud
It's All Over Now
Paint It Black
Gimme Shelter (with Mary J. Blige)
Wild Horses
All Down The Line
Going Down (with Jeff Beck)
Out Of Control
One More Shot
Doom And Gloom
It's Only Rock'n Roll (with Bill Wyman)
Honky Tonk Women (with Bill Wyman)
--- Band presentations
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Miss You
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil
--- Band off stage
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Jumping Jack Flash

Show start : 8:27pm
Show finish : 11:00pm

Report by Bjørnulf Vik
It has been a long wait, and now as the show is over, I am exhauted! There were so many great moments tonight. Like when Mick said from his heart, and not reading from any scripts, how much he thanked us, the fans, for coming back, listening to their music, and buying their records. For fifty years. Or when Keith took the center stage to give us yet another great Sympathy For The Devil guitar lead, sort of made me forget all the other great guitar players that took stage tonight. Because after all Keith is next to nothing when he takes the lead on his guitar. No compromises. Or when Mick Taylor forgot about the Stones and started improvisations on "Midnight Rambler". Then he was good old guitar hero Mick Taylor. Or Bill, thankfully on two songs, and I could see his smile, he was happy!

They gave us two and a half hours. I am not sure if I will sleep tonight. But the good news are I am so lucky I will see them again on Thursday in the same house!

It all started at 8:27pm. They ran a video of fans talking about their feelings about the Stones. There was Elton John. And there was Johhny Depp. And there were us. The fans. I did recognize some familiar faces. The collage was done nicely, running quickly with bits from fans in Europe, USA and Japan, telling about their love for the band. It was a 5 minutes video, nice! And as you might know, we all helped in a bit in making this video. Real fans!

Then it was on to some stomp sort of rhythms a la Sympathy For The Devil, heating up the beat and the crowd for what is soon to come. The drums are growing stronger and stronger and then, right around 8:35pm, they hit the same stage they left 5 years ago. "I Wanna Be Your Man". So fast. So good. Kick start!

"Gimme Shelter" with Mary J Blige was perfect. Sorry Lisa, I have seen many guest artists but this one is probably one of the best. Please keep Mary J Blige in the set for all the shows! She wasn't shy at all. And she rocked! I think she was all over the stage, with Keith, With Ronnie, with Mick a lot, and her voice and interpretetion was so great for Gimme Shelter.

I could have written all night, but I need some sleep.... I just wanted to mention the stage. Fantastic. No B-stage. No technicalities with moving band members or moving stages. Mick had a monkey sort of coat for Sympathy For The Devil, it looked strange, and he got rid of it fast anyway.

Wild Horses had some difficulties. It sort of lost the flow. Don't know why. They have done better versions. But who am I to complain, I just noticed it was not following the flow, may be it was me, or the sound. Did not bother me much.

May be it was planned that way, or may be it was a bonus. I don't know. But when they started "Miss You", Mick had some problems with his headset. So he told Darryl to do a bass solo. Keith and Ronnie was big smiles as Darryl played and played, how often do you get an extended bass solo with the Stones? The crew worked like crazy with Mick's headset and then he was back on a strong version of Miss You!

Then the Choir on "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - in fact two Choirs, one on either side. They were great. Big big smiles on the all the young girls' faces, while the boys looked very serious for some reason.

It will be three long days until I will se them again on Thursday. Thank you Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie - and Bill and Mick T. Thank you for your music. You have been - and you are - a major part of my life!

I took some pictures during the show. Security was great, nice, and allowed all our little cameras and mobile phones, so that we could bring our private little pictures back to our family, children and grandchildren, to show them what is still in fact the greatest rock'n'roll band on this planet!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:31

Just finished writing a few words. It was a great show. They are still a bit rusty, after all it's been five years, but this was unforgettable. Best stage ever. Satisfaction was listed as the 3rd encore but it got too busy. Lady Jane was also planned for but not played. Two hours to sleep now before I am off back home for a while. More tomorrow.

Bjornulf

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:35

Sounds great!! Looking forward to Brooklyn!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:36

Get some well deserved rest BV, thanks for everything!

Date: November 26, 2012 04:38

bv
Just finished writing a few words. It was a great show. They are still a bit rusty, after all it's been five years, but this was unforgettable. Best stage ever. Satisfaction was listed as the 3rd encore but it got too busy. Lady Jane was also planned for but not played. Two hours to sleep now before I am off back home for a while. More tomorrow.

Thank you for knowing people want to read your words and for taking your time to posting them so quickly.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:39

rocker1
Are you sure you are not caught up even a little in the passion of the moment?

Passion of the moment? Maybe. But because of what he paid, probably not. I just listened to the three tracks posted (Doom and Gloom, One More Shot and I'm Goin' Down). Blistering enough for me and better than I expected.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:39

rocker1
paulywaul

So the bottom line is: they're BACK, they're on BLISTERING FORM, and get yer arse in gear and go see 'em, cos' you'll bloody regret it if you don't !!

Blistering form??? Blistering form???

Oh, wow, now more than ever I eagerly await the recording that reinforces the accuracy of this assessment. I really do hope that your quick summary here isn't in any way distorted by a need to rationalize however much you dropped for a ticket to this event. Are you sure you are not caught up even a little in the passion of the moment?

Rocker1, I think that's what is supposed to happen at a live show? Anyway, happy dissecting when the videos appear.

Show finished 11.05. Caught Tube out of North Woolwich, got out at Green Park - missed last Piccadilly Line of the night and din't get in till 1.30 after roundabout journey home involving the night bus and a taxi back to pick up my car...

Show as seen and heard from Block 113 was a blast - very loud and bassy, my ears are still ringing. Interesting that some people loved Mary J Blige - from where we were in 113 she was either horrible or inaudible - we thought there had been a trainwreck and she forgot the words! Maybe it was the sound system, not her. Only down point of the show for me.

Midnight rambler with MT - amazing. IORR and HTW with Bill - swung very nicely. Nobody sitting down in 113 except me for about 5 minutes during Miss You.

Keith is doing less posing and more concentrating on rhythm, and it sounds good. Noticed one or two fluffs, but certainly better than 2007. Taking a bit more of a back seat on some numbers - but all those numbers sound great with him driving from the back seat! I thought Ronnie took one of the two solos in Sympathy - whoever it was, it sounded good. And fun to hear Ronnie's take on Brian's solo on I Wanna Be Your Man!

Too tired to concentrate tonight, what with complicated journey home and I've got to get up for work tomorrow. Couldn't make it to the Pilot today but will probably be there Thursday.

Y-A-W-NNNNN

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Date: November 26, 2012 04:45

Green Lady
Show finished 11.05. Caught Tube out of North Woolwich, got out at Green Park - missed last Piccadilly Line of the night and din't get in till 1.30 after roundabout journey home involving the night bus and a taxi back to pick up my car...

Show as seen and heard from Block 113 was a blast - very loud and bassy, my ears are still ringing. Interesting that some people loved Mary J Blige - from where we were in 113 she was either horrible or inaudible - we thought there had been a trainwreck and she forgot the words! Maybe it was the sound system, not her. Only down point of the show for me.

Midnight rambler with MT - amazing. IORR and HTW with Bill - swung very nicely. Nobody sitting down in 113 except me for about 5 minutes during Miss You.

Keith is doing less posing and more concentrating on rhythm, and it sounds good. Noticed one or two fluffs, but certainly better than 2007. Taking a bit more of a back seat on some numbers - but all those numbers sound great with him driving from the back seat! I thought Ronnie took one of the two solos in Sympathy - whoever it was, it sounded good. And fun to hear Ronnie's take on Brian's solo on I Wanna Be Your Man!

Too tired to concentrate tonight, what with complicated journey home and I've got to get up for work tomorrow. Couldn't make it to the Pilot today but will probably be there Thursday.

Y-A-W-NNNNN

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Thanks GL... you R O C K ! ! !

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:56

Please post the video of Gimme Shelter if you have it!!!

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 26, 2012 04:58

The setlist with Lady Jane and Satisfaction.

[sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net]

Benjamin.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:07

Many thanks Paulywaul,

As some of you have read, probably too many times, I saw the Stones for the first time at Royal Albert Hall, in September 1966. I was still in school but I will never forget the wild enthusiasm...to put it mildly.

I understood immediately that the entire world of the young had changed forever.

SO audiences matter to me. And I expect this first night at the O2 mattered a great deal to The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:09

What a wonderful report from BV. I am working and can't watch those videos, but am wondering - did anyone other than Mick make use of the ramp along the edge of the pit? Plan to jam my work out for the next 48 hours and then get on the plane and sleep until London. Pretty excited.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()

Any chance this could be the next Archive Series show?
T@3

Posted by: paulywaul ()

rocker1
paulywaul

So the bottom line is: they're BACK, they're on BLISTERING FORM, and get yer arse in gear and go see 'em, cos' you'll bloody regret it if you don't !!

Oh, wow, now more than ever I eagerly await the recording that reinforces the accuracy of this assessment. I really do hope that your quick summary here isn't in any way distorted by a need to rationalize however much you dropped for a ticket to this event. Are you sure you are not caught up even a little in the passion of the moment?

Yeah why don't you do just that, sit in your comfy armchair and review this gig from afar, all with the benefit of course of the truly amazing audio/visual quality that a mobile phone clip posted on youtube affords you ? Mmm yes, I similarly "o so eagerly" await your very own take on it .... hurry up now, get on with it. Must be plenty of clips out there by now that await your in-depth scrutiny ! I'm sure that after we've all digested your forthcoming views on this performance, we'll each and every one of us re-evaluate, apologise profusely, and slink off into the night with our tails between our legs - muttering words of apology for having so grossly deceived those that weren't there !!

Don't make me laugh !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:11

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:23

Wow, that's really awesome, thanks for uploading that! I've never really listened to Jeff Beck, but he certainly makes a great contribution here, what a "wizard"! His energy also lifts the band right up. I'm the first to criticise Ronaldo and Keith for being lazy and uncaring, but their playing / interaction here is just great. And I think Keith's portion definitely shows that he's got plenty of fire and skill left in him. Wish I had been there to see it in person!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:42

Justin

That clip sounds pretty damn good.thumbs up

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:42

all sounds real good and happy for everyone who attended , looks like it was a real treat, prices are still ridiculous though IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-26 05:57 by melillo.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:51

Somebody has to have MIDNIGHT RAMBLER with Taylor on video....

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:52

I'm curious what happened at the end of the show where everyone comes to the front of the stage and takes a bow. Did that even happen, and if so, was Taylor and Wyman there?? Sure would make a great pic.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:54

Many thanks to all of those who posted pics, reports, photos, videos etc.........VERY COOL!
They still have the magic.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:55

rocker1
paulywaul

Don't take MY word for it, heavens above. I was there, I enjoyed myself - hence evidently completely incapable of expressing an impartial view on the matter of their first performance in five years !!

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Keith Richards has said that the beauty of rock n roll is that every night a different band might be the world's greatest. Well, last night at the O2 Arena, it was the turn of the Rolling stones themselves to lay claim to the title they invented. And they did it with some style and panache.

"Its been an amazing journey" Mick Jagger said of the Stones career. "Fifty years to get from Dartford to Greenwich". The joke being, of course, that this is but a 15 minute bus ride to the rest of us. But its fair to say the Stones have taken a bit of a roundabout route on their journey from raw blues obsessives to veteran superstars.

An expansive two and a half hour set opened with a trio of early Beat boom hits, featuring Mick in a trilby, mincing and posturing in almost pastiche style as he pleaded "Ah wanna be your luuuuuveah babee" over Richards' juicy resonant chords, Charlie Watts driving it simply and effectively with a bouncing beat. In this age of tribute bands, it was a bit like the Stones paying tribute to themselves.

But it darkened with a riffing Paint It Black and then started really storming with Gimme Shelter. Two backing vocalists added richness and R'n'B superstar Mary J Blige came on to layer gospelly flair over Jagger's still ripping, harsh yet sweet vocals. Behind Jagger's energetic, camp performance, Richards and Ronnie Wood look like a pair of cadaverous buzzards, perhaps waiting for their hyperactive frontman to keel over. Standing side by side, Richards kept peaking over to see what Wood was playing, those guitars weaving together in mesmerising fashion, Woods flashier and faster, Richards sensitive and deft, while Watts pounded out the groove.

It is at this intersection of showbiz flashiness and wild rock that The Stones enter a realm of their own. Sympathy For The Devil was phenomenal, Tumbling Dice a rip roaring treat, Jumping Jack Flash a rocking blast.

Alongside a flashy turn from Jeff Beck, there were guest appearances by two old Stones, bassist Bill Wyman welcomed with nostalgic warmth but guitarist Mick Taylor greeted like a returning God, albeit a rather rotund one.

There must be something about being in the Stones that keeps weight off. Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood remain whippet thin and surprisingly healthy while Wyman and Taylor look like they have spent their decades out of the band eating all the pies. But Taylor can still play like a silver streak and the time-shifting blues jam of Midnight Rambler was incredible to behold, with Jagger as harp blowing blues conductor and three guitars tripping in and out of each other's space to hypnotic effect.

When looking for the secret of the stones, it is perhaps that they actually listen to each other while they play, and almost lose themselves in it, while their brilliant frontman keeps it all together. Encores included a gospelly You Can't Always Get What You Want. Well, maybe sometimes, for the right ticket price, you actually can.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: November 26, 2012 05:57

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: November 26, 2012 06:01

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 26, 2012 06:03

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: November 26, 2012 06:09

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 54

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home