Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the fold-up practice kit on Street Fighting Man
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:27

this site is great for so many reasons..among them is a lot of rare photos get posted here of the stones...

has anyone posted any pics of Charlie playing that kit he has that he used on SFM?

or...any drummers among us that have one...I believe his was from the 30's or 40's if I remember Keith's comments about it rightly..

curious to see this kit that they got such a cool sound on for one of my favorite Stones songs

thanks in advance

Re: the fold-up practice kit on Street Fighting Man
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:32

The drums on SFM are not just the sound of that small trap kit.

Date: November 19, 2012 17:40

His Majesty
The drums on SFM are not just the sound of that small trap kit.

OK...just wondering if anyone's seen pics of this kit, or Charlie playing it...

Street Fighting Man was recorded on Keith's cassette with a 1930s toy drum kit called a London Jazz Kit Set, which I bought in an antiques shop, and which I've still got at home. It came in a little suitcase, and there were wire brackets you put the drums in; they were like small tambourines with no jangles. The whole kit packs away, the drums go inside each other, the little drum goes inside the snare drum into a box with the cymbal. The snare drum was fantastic because it had a really thin skin with a snare right underneath, but only two strands of gut... Keith would be sitting on a cushion playing a guitar and the tiny kit was a way of getting close to him. The drums were really loud compared to the acoustic guitar and the pitch of them would go right through the sound. You'd always have a great backbeat.

- Charlie Watts, 2003

Posted by: tattooyou ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:45

There is photo of the kit in the GRRR! super deluxe box book. I'm sorry I don't have it to hand.

Date: November 19, 2012 17:47

It was used for basic philips tape machine track, but additional drums were most certainly overdubbed. The trap kit is not the big sounding drums.

No pics known of him using the small kit.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:47

tattooyou
There is photo of the kit in the GRRR! super deluxe box book. I'm sorry I don't have it to hand.

Crap...now I may have to unseal the box.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: November 19, 2012 17:48

It's amazing how analogue they could be in the 60's and how they could make such great things with so little. Beggars Banquet in general is a great example, stripped productions but amazing songs, playing and feel. That's why it's one of their greatest albums in my opinion.

Date: November 19, 2012 17:49

gotta get the GRRR deluxe box just for that

grinning smiley

Date: November 19, 2012 17:50

treaclefingers
tattooyou

Crap...now I may have to unseal the box.

Yes please! thumbs up

Date: November 19, 2012 18:24

His Majesty
It was used for basic philips tape machine track, but additional drums were most certainly overdubbed. The trap kit is not the big sounding drums.

No pics known of him using the small kit.

charlie's and Keith's comments over the years about this would leave the impression that the little kit is what you hear on the single...

I'm sure they fleshed the drum sound out too..lots of overdubs on that song...

Date: November 19, 2012 18:42

No doubt we hear it, but the drums on the track are spread about the stereo mix, thus meaning there were drum overdubs.

Dave Mason has said he played a bass drum during the initial basic backing track recording.

Maybe the kit is bigger than I expect and it was used for more than just the basic tape machine take, but also the drums which are heard seperated and more clear.

smileys with beer

Date: November 19, 2012 18:53

From the looks of the photo in the book, it is a very similar type of thing to this:

[www.ebay.com]

Date: November 19, 2012 18:55

grinning smiley

If that's the case, then they definitely used his proper drum kit for the big sounding drums.

Date: November 19, 2012 18:56

Certainly sounds it!

You only see a couple of drums and a cymbal in an old case, so I am only guessing this is what it may look like when set up. Pretty big drum sound to come from a tiny kit, if true!

Date: November 19, 2012 18:59

tattooyou
Certainly sounds it!

You only see a couple of drums and a cymbal in an old case, so I am only guessing this is what it may look like when set up. Pretty big drum sound to come from a tiny kit, if true!

We know it isn't just that trap set though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home