Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Brian Jones area - concerts without Jones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 1, 2008 18:10

behroez
And let's face it Brian playing the mellotron on Let's Spend the Night Together during the '67 European tour was absolutly brilliant, the best Let's Spend the Night I've ever heard!

This gets repeated, but yet noone has shown in anyway that he did play melltron live, can you prove it?

The studio version features Brian on Hammond organ, live during the 67 tour he played his Vox Continental, no mellotron on any of the available bootlegs from that tour.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 1, 2008 18:56

neptune
scottkeef
Wha........? Around & Around, Carol, Roll Over Beethoven, Route 66, Talkin About You,Down The Road Apiece, Memphis?!! I dont think so. They could have done a more blusier set but the Berry songs w/o Keith's ripping leads? NO WAY!

Brian's rhythm was just as important as Keith's leads in their live renditions of Berry covers. Just listen to the live footage from that era on youtube. Brian's guitar was very important to the Stones' sound back then and their live shows must have suffered whenever Brian was MIA. In addition, Bill said that the greatest shows of the 1964 US tour were in Chicago, when Brian returned from his illness and subsequently gave the band a huge boost.
No one said Brians rythms were not important to the Stones sound AND they would be missed on the live shows but no Berry riffs on Berry songs equals NO CHUCK BERRY SONGS! You're just being silly.(for whatever reason) And I dont have to check out the live footage with Brian on youtube, I already have it all on several dvds and enjoy it very much,thank you.

Date: October 1, 2008 19:05

His Majesty, I dont know what he played on the 67 tour but I wondered if you would listen to the Olympia 4-11-67 bcast(from the complete version)specifically Satisfaction(last song) and tell me if you know what that weird sounding instrument is? It sounds like maybe an organ but not exactly! I've never been able to figure it out.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: October 1, 2008 19:40

You know, from 63-66 if I had went to see the the Stones and Brian wasn't there I would of noticed and then been angry. Let's face it, he was the Stones at that time before Jagger/Richards moved to the front.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 1, 2008 19:48

scottkeef
His Majesty, I dont know what he played on the 67 tour but I wondered if you would listen to the Olympia 4-11-67 bcast(from the complete version)specifically Satisfaction(last song) and tell me if you know what that weird sounding instrument is? It sounds like maybe an organ but not exactly! I've never been able to figure it out.

I asked the same question a while back, & people came to the (probably correct) conclusion that he's simply using feedback on his guitar.

Date: October 1, 2008 22:28

ok,makes as much sense as any I guess but it sure does sound weird!!

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: October 1, 2008 23:37

jjflash73
You know, from 63-66 if I had went to see the the Stones and Brian wasn't there I would of noticed and then been angry. Let's face it, he was the Stones at that time before Jagger/Richards moved to the front.

Yes, exactly. Back then, the two most popular Stones were Mick and Brian. Keith really didn't become popular until the 1970's, after Brian's death.

Date: October 1, 2008 23:42

with sssoul
>> Keith himself has said that the shows without Brian were awfully hard on him, and his performance suffered as a result <<

when/where did he say his "performance suffered", please and thank you?
that he had to work harder is pretty obvious ...

I don't remember exactly, ssoul. It might have been According to the RS or Christopher Samford's bio of Keith. Basically, Keith remembered the 64' tour and complained about Brian not being there, mentioning that it was hard to play two guitar parts in one-something to that affect.

Date: October 1, 2008 23:50

scottkeef
neptune
scottkeef
Wha........? Around & Around, Carol, Roll Over Beethoven, Route 66, Talkin About You,Down The Road Apiece, Memphis?!! I dont think so. They could have done a more blusier set but the Berry songs w/o Keith's ripping leads? NO WAY!

Brian's rhythm was just as important as Keith's leads in their live renditions of Berry covers. Just listen to the live footage from that era on youtube. Brian's guitar was very important to the Stones' sound back then and their live shows must have suffered whenever Brian was MIA. In addition, Bill said that the greatest shows of the 1964 US tour were in Chicago, when Brian returned from his illness and subsequently gave the band a huge boost.
No one said Brians rythms were not important to the Stones sound AND they would be missed on the live shows but no Berry riffs on Berry songs equals NO CHUCK BERRY SONGS! You're just being silly.(for whatever reason) And I dont have to check out the live footage with Brian on youtube, I already have it all on several dvds and enjoy it very much,thank you.

Check out the 1965 NME Pollwiners concert in Wembley Stadium. The Stones played Around and Around and all you can hear is Brian's guitar (Keith's amp wasn't working too well). It's the best live version of Around I've ever heard. Thus, no Brian Jones playing Chuck Berry rhythm (back in 1964) equals NO CHUCK BERRY SONGS!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 2, 2008 00:03

Slightly off-topic, but I've just watched the performance of 'Around & Around' from Knebworth '76, & Ronnie plays ALL the lead guitar work! This surprised me.

Date: October 2, 2008 00:35

Check out the 1965 NME Pollwiners concert in Wembley Stadium. The Stones played Around and Around and all you can hear is Brian's guitar (Keith's amp wasn't working too well). It's the best live version of Around I've ever heard. Thus, no Brian Jones playing Chuck Berry rhythm (back in 1964) equals NO CHUCK BERRY SONGS![/quote

I didnt think you could make a sillier statement than before I believe you've accomplished it!

Date: October 2, 2008 03:55

scottkeef
Check out the 1965 NME Pollwiners concert in Wembley Stadium. The Stones played Around and Around and all you can hear is Brian's guitar (Keith's amp wasn't working too well). It's the best live version of Around I've ever heard. Thus, no Brian Jones playing Chuck Berry rhythm (back in 1964) equals NO CHUCK BERRY SONGS![/quote

I didnt think you could make a sillier statement than before I believe you've accomplished it!

Aw c'mon, it's not so silly. Look at the footage of that show again. Brian shines on guitar and kicks ass. Admit it.

Date: October 2, 2008 05:39

Off course he does but that doesnt change anything!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 2, 2008 07:38

Zack
Which begs the question, could the Stones have done the show with Brian but not Keith? Don't think so.

[begthequestion.info]

Re: Brian Jones era - concerts without Jones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 2, 2008 10:35

>> Keith remembered the '64 tour and complained about Brian not being there,
mentioning that it was hard to play two guitar parts in one - something to that effect. <<

thanks neptune. that isn't remotely like "Keith [saying] his performance suffered",
so i'm glad you've clarified that. and sure, obviously it's not easy for one guitarist
to cover two guitarists' parts on stage, for a lead singer to play harp at the same time, etc.

>> Let's face it, he was the Stones at that time <<

let's face it: the Stones were the Stones at that time, just like later and all down the line

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home