Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

B - stage on next tour?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 26, 2004 13:57

Will they walk down to the b-stage again on the (possible) next tour?
I think they maybe should stay on one stage, I mean they done the b-stage for the two last tours, if they have to do something out of the ordinary come up with something new!

Re: B - stage on next tour?
Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: December 26, 2004 14:10

How about if they performed "in the round"...then every seat would be great...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2004 03:20

They'll never do an "in the round" show because Mick doesnt like them. He likes to be able to see what's in front of him, as he feels a bit exposed when out in the middle of an arena/stadium

He said he doesnt mind the b-stage for a few songs, but he wouldnt like to do a full show like that.

I'm glad thats the case, because while the b-stage concept is exciting - particularly for those in that area, the sound for most people in the venue during those songs is always worse than the main stage and very often poor. And at the Stones' prices, the least you can expect is to be able to hear them properly.

To answer the original question, yeah I would think the concept of mini-stages is here to stay for large scale Stones shows.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 27, 2004 04:59

I like the b-stage a lot, but i would be great if they come up with something different. The only problem is, what else is there to come up with apart from the "in the round" concept?!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 27, 2004 09:31

On Shidoobee they are talking about the "in the round" thing being a real possibility on an arena and samll theater tour only of the USA, follwed in the summer of 2006 with a Stadium only tour of Europe.

It does not sound right to me. While I could see them do another all arena tour, I doubt they will want to skip the money of the US stadium all together. I aslo have trouble believing that they would do only stadiums in Europe and nothing else.

Lastly, I agree with Gazza, I do not think the "theater in the round" is going to fly. Can you imagine Charlie having to rotate slowly all night on a riser?

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 27, 2004 13:13

I am afraid that if they don't limit the performances, the days of filling stadia in the U.S. might be over for the Stones. The Stones clearly like doing the club shows, so unless they are losing money on them, why would they abandon them in Europe?

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: December 27, 2004 14:24

I think they will continue with the B-stage concept for one important(?) reason: It allows them to sell tickets in the middle of the arena/stadium as premium seats.

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Date: December 28, 2004 00:31

When I had golden tickets for the front section at the licks tour in europe, I remember I hated the b-stage. The sound was worse, and I could hardly see them on the stage. Actually I felt the music was pushed away, walking to the b-stage takes so much attentention - it's so much fuss. But when I attended one of the wembley shows, I had my seat on the side, with the b-stage right below me. And the set they played on the b-stage was almost the greatest moment on the concert.

So I think how you like the b-stage depends where you are seated.

Date: December 28, 2004 00:51

kahoosier Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On Shidoobee they are talking about the "in the
> round" thing being a real possibility on an arena
> and samll theater tour only of the USA, follwed in
> the summer of 2006 with a Stadium only tour of
> Europe.

you're kiddin' me, right? Is this wishful thinking by some people or what!!
>
> It does not sound right to me. While I could see
> them do another all arena tour, I doubt they will
> want to skip the money of the US stadium all
> together. I aslo have trouble believing that they
> would do only stadiums in Europe and nothing
> else.

exactly. There's no way they'd do a tour of their main financial market and limit the shows to about 3,000 people per night when they can easily fill arenas and several stadiums in the same cities, charging the same prices....and absolutely no chance of them playing stadiums exclusively in Europe and none at all elsewhere.

The lack of logic by some Stones fans beggars belief sometimes.

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: December 28, 2004 02:04

They should play a b-stage only! Two hours long just drums, guitars and vocals.
That will rock!

Posted by: animal ()
Date: December 28, 2004 02:17

what about adding C stage ?,
which would off-stage the B stage,
but since the B stage is better stage than main stage,
we stand up having the C stage as the real stage,

with stage respect
stage regards
Dýri the stage manager

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 28, 2004 10:02

>There's no way they'd do a tour of their main financial market and limit the shows to about 3,000 people per night when they can easily fill arenas and several stadiums in the same cities, charging the same prices

I think the idea was that they would do a series of arena shows PLUS a possible theatre show in certain markets. Like the Licks tour, but replacing the stadium show with two or three arena shows, in the same city.

>....and absolutely no chance of them playing stadiums exclusively in Europe and none at all elsewhere.

U2 are doing this on their coming tour,
1st leg: arenas in North America
2nd leg: stadiums in Europe
3rd leg: arenas in North America
4th leg: arenas in Japan and Australia

Date: December 28, 2004 17:28

U2 arent as greedy as the Stones, Erik! Plus you cant play stadiums in Europe at any time but the summer.

If they're playing only stadiums in Europe that would mean having two or three stages built due to the time needed to construct and dismantle a stage and transport it to the next venue and still be able to play at least three shows per week. I'd be amazed if they spent millions on such a costly process and limit it to Europe. They could conceivably play a stadium show in one city per week (say on a weekend) and play indoor venues during the week - therefore only using one stadium sized stage.

But a series of arena shows plus a theatre show in certain cities certainly makes sense - but theres no way they'd predominantly play theatres. And the "in the round" type show wont happen as Mick doesnt like the idea.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 28, 2004 17:43

I dont know if anyone could reliably fill stadiums these days, unlike 15 years ago. Many acts (Metallica, REM) had trouble filling arenas last year - Madonna, whose record sales are down somewhat (but still strong from fanbase) did well in arenas, & Elton (god knows his albums are not selling here)did too. The stones wont risk noticeable empty patches in stadiums - I expect (in the US) arenas sprinkled with theatres...The best part of the b-stage (sound usually sucks from my vantage point) is Mick is contained, so they're great on pay-per-view tv broadcasts & the like.

Date: December 28, 2004 17:50

>I'd be amazed if they spent millions on such a costly process and limit it to Europe.

I'm sure that they would play stadium shows if they go to South America and Japan as well.

>but theres no way they'd predominantly play theatres.

Totally agree!

Date: December 29, 2004 01:11

Exactly, Erik - if they take a tour to South America, theyd simply HAVE to play stadiums to make it cost effective - not only because of the costs involved in transporting the equipment but because the audience there arent going to be financially able to pay the ticket prices that you'd get in North America.

John - IMO the Stones are one band who could easily fill stadiums year-in year-out if the tickets were affordable as they were prior to 1999. However, theres a limited number of times you're going to be able to charge people a couple of hundred dollars to look at video screens before you start getting half empty stadiums. It's been a LOT easier to get Stones tickets with each tour since 1989. The shows still sell in huge numbers by anyone's standards, but they do so slower than before.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 29, 2004 04:11

Gazza: points well taken. The whole appeal of the No Security tour (and its inflated prices) was seeing them indoors for the first time since '81.

Date: December 29, 2004 11:15

Nothing beats this on a B-Stage:

- Midnight Rambler
- Slave
- Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Date: December 29, 2004 12:32

Midnight Rambler agreed, but I think Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man worked well during the last tour, so did Mannish Boy. But a club show is of course much better if they want to create this intimate feeling.

Date: December 29, 2004 12:37

John R, don't forget the arena shows in 98. They weren't many, but pretty damn good!

Date: December 31, 2004 06:45

I Sat in the pit of the bstage at giants stadium and i can personaly and honestly say that the echo was f'ing awful, if i didnt have guitars/songs memoriezed i never would have known what songs they were playing. What about bringing back some tunes on the bstage like

Mixed emotions
saint of me(with the crowd, just awsome)
lies
some girls
hang fire
live with me(could be a great b stage number)
Rip this joint
Not fade away

Also, for a main set list ending, if they could pull off JJF, on the b stage, with the horns up and down the cat walk

Date: December 31, 2004 09:00

They may have to cut back on the shows because of Charlie's health, until they see how he does. But that would be hard to do, because the Stones have to book the venues in advance. Maybe they'll do a smattering of dates to see how Charlie does, before the big Tour.

But, Mick has hinted of down-sizing, in an interview in the last year an a half, I remember that. "We'll tour, but not on such a large scale," he said.

Now, concerning the Sound on the B-stage, I often tape the shows I go to and I have always got good sound down there.

Date: December 31, 2004 12:18

I know you went to all the NS shows...did you tape Fargo by any chance?

Posted by: Railing staine ()
Date: December 31, 2004 12:25

the sound at the b-stage sucks, however, it's nice to stand at the rail then

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home