Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: HELP NEEDED - How to get to Cheltenham Cemetery (Brian Jones)
Posted by: RollingGnome ()
Date: November 11, 2012 06:44

Noooo more zombie flicks please god in heaven noooo

Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 11, 2012 06:45

stonesnow
johnnyguitar
stonesnow
Ah, Gram Parsons. Do you know about Gram's 'cremation ceremony' out in Joshua Tree? A friend of Gram's (Phil Kaufman), per Parson's funeral wishes, stole the body from an airport terminal where it was slated to be shipped home to family, and after getting filthy drunk on the way, set the coffin by the side of the road in Joshua Tree, opened it, poured gasoline over the body, lit it on fire, and drove off and left it there.

Wonder what all the high-minded moralistic self-righteous posters in this thread who find offense to touching Brian's head stone would have to say about that if they knew? It's in the movie Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel (2006).

I have known this story for 30 years, like most other Stones fans. Are you saying you learned of it from a 2006 movie-of-the-week? I'm not sure what to say about that.
Anyway my friend, the Gram story has zero relevancy to the misadventures of Mickijaggeroo at Brian's gravesite. Just for starters, Gram's body was stolen by a friend known to him, who was acting as per Gram's wishes.
Whereas Mickijaggeroo in those photos was acting like an over-jealous fan, who thinks he is entitled to a closeness with Brian that doesn't actually exist. Part of being a fan (and a human being) is knowing what the boundaries are.
Hopefully the next visitors show more respect.

Not sure what the "movie-of-the-week" reference is--sarcasm, perhaps? I could have learned of the story 30 years ago as well, but was never deep enough into Gram Parsons to find out about his life. An acquaintance mentioned the movie a few years back so I obtained a DVD copy. [Does network TV still do that "movie of the week" thing? I thought that TV feature format faded with the 70s.] If you're not sure what to say about that, it's probably because there is nothing to say about that. At any rate, funeral wishes aside, you also know from the film that some in Gram's family were mightily offended by Phil Kaufman's gesture ["You just don't do that... you just don't!"].

Still don't know what ticks you off about the Brian grave site photos. Posing by a grave stone with a hand resting gently atop the marker is grossly offensive, because it violates boundaries, but stealing a dead body prior to a family burial is okay.... well, my friend, I'm not sure what to say about that.... so I'll just go watch another zombie flick and get back to you....

Sorry you are wrong Stonesnow I never said stealing Grams body was "ok". Where did I say that? You raised the story, I dismissed it, and you link it to me anyway... Damn the facts, I'm going to say Johnnyguitar approved anyway! Talk about selective reading.
I said the story was not relevant because they were two different things. For the record, I think stealing Grams body was totally wrong and bizarre. However, there was a connection to Gram that actually existed in that event.
But I digress. Visiting Brian's grave should not be the same as visiting EuroDisney!
Pay your respects, leave some flowers, but that should be it.
Just because you are a fan doesn't make you entitled to some imaginary intimate closeness. Boundaries, people.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 06:58 by johnnyguitar.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 11, 2012 07:00

RollingGnome
Noooo more zombie flicks please god in heaven noooo

Hey, you gotta see Dead Snow. Nazi Zombies--and not just the slow-moving zombies, the kind that fall down like pillows when you push them. These guys sprint for a kill, there's no escaping them. Here, do yourself a treat. Get some popcorn on the stove, and break out the cookies....

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: November 11, 2012 08:04

Always wondered who paid good money for a Pool tile that were once at Cotchford Farm where Brian died. Got my answer within this thread. Thanks.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 11, 2012 17:42

2000 LYFH
stonesnow
2000 LYFH
stonesnow
Can't see the big judgmental moral fuss people are making over the tourists touching ["molesting"?!] the gravestone--it's the head stone, not the dead Stone. Don't see the necrophilia analogy there.

Regarding the Arlington reference, why were those tourists lucky they didn't get shot? They're sitting behind the fenced-off area. Don't see the analogy the poster was trying to make between Arlington National cemetery and the one in Cheltenham UK where Brian is buried. Is Brian's grave a sacred national monument? Is it fenced off? Does it have soldiers guarding it 24-7 3-6-5? No, so chill. At least they weren't sitting there drinking and drugging and spraying graffiti over the headstone like they do to Morrison's grave in Paris.

IMO after looking at these photo's they are paying their respect to BJ!
Their's no doubt about it!

Thanks to the graffiti in the Pere Lachaise in Paris I was able to find Jim's Grave.

They were just wanting to feel a connection, that's all. I'm sure no disrespect was intended, and they obviously left the grave site as neat and intact as they found it. "Feeling up his tombstone"--incredibly weird analogy.

Watch it again - Wasn't the people sitting but the people walking up the steps in the background who did an about face. I was there last year in July (must of been close to 100 out) and some little kid dropped a empty water bottle over the rope and it actually started to roll towards the soldier and everyone (must of been more than 75 people) was just waiting to see what would happen. The soldier ended up going over to a booth where he called someone to retrieve it. Very moving place to visit. JFK grave is close by..

I didn't actually watch that video, I was just commenting on the still photo in the frame of the people sitting there. I didn't bother watching it because I couldn't see the analogy between a military-guarded fenced-in public monument and a run-of-the-mill civilian cemetery in which Brian is buried. You draw analogies to point out similarities, but in that case, there were no similarities to be highlighted.

Ha Ha, I see your point. I actually agree with you about Brian's grave. As long as you are not destroying anything and are respectful, I see nothing wrong with the photos above. In fact, I've see many people in photos over the years posing there (including Pat Andrew's and other people who knew him).

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:34

Don't see anything disrespectful in the Stonesvikings pictures - rather the opposite, in fact, with everyone there to honour Brian's memory. And nobody is walking on his grave - everybody is behind or to one side of the stone.

The pool tiles, on the other hand - now that does strike me as morbid. I know I wouldn't want one, even if THEY were paying ME to have it.

Date: November 11, 2012 19:15

runaway
2000 LYFH
stonesnow
2000 LYFH
stonesnow
Can't see the big judgmental moral fuss people are making over the tourists touching ["molesting"?!] the gravestone--it's the head stone, not the dead Stone. Don't see the necrophilia analogy there.

Regarding the Arlington reference, why were those tourists lucky they didn't get shot? They're sitting behind the fenced-off area. Don't see the analogy the poster was trying to make between Arlington National cemetery and the one in Cheltenham UK where Brian is buried. Is Brian's grave a sacred national monument? Is it fenced off? Does it have soldiers guarding it 24-7 3-6-5? No, so chill. At least they weren't sitting there drinking and drugging and spraying graffiti over the headstone like they do to Morrison's grave in Paris.
They were just wanting to feel a connection, that's all. I'm sure no disrespect was intended, and they obviously left the grave site as neat and intact as they found it. "Feeling up his tombstone"--incredibly weird analogy.

Watch it again - Wasn't the people sitting but the people walking up the steps in the background who did an about face. I was there last year in July (must of been close to 100 out) and some little kid dropped a empty water bottle over the rope and it actually started to roll towards the soldier and everyone (must of been more than 75 people) was just waiting to see what would happen. The soldier ended up going over to a booth where he called someone to retrieve it. Very moving place to visit. JFK grave is close by..

I didn't actually watch that video, I was just commenting on the still photo in the frame of the people sitting there. I didn't bother watching it because I couldn't see the analogy between a military-guarded fenced-in public monument and a run-of-the-mill civilian cemetery in which Brian is buried. You draw analogies to point out similarities, but in that case, there were no similarities to be highlighted.

Ha Ha, I see your point. I actually agree with you about Brian's grave. As long as you are not destroying anything and are respectful, I see nothing wrong with the photos above. In fact, I've see many people in photos over the years posing there (including Pat Andrew's and other people who knew him).

IMO Looking at those photo's, the Stonesvikings are paying their respect to BJ!

When I was Looking for Jim's Grave in Pere Lachaise in Paris the graffity was showing me the way to the next whisky bar "Tombstone".

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 11, 2012 19:28

runaway
runaway
2000 LYFH
stonesnow
2000 LYFH
stonesnow

When I was Looking for Jim's Grave in Pere Lachaise in Paris the graffity was showing me the way to the next whisky bar "Tombstone".

Any pictures of Jim's grave? Now I don't think that's right what the fans do at his grave with all the graffiti and such. What do you think since you were there?

Date: November 11, 2012 20:56

2000 LYFH
runaway
runaway
2000 LYFH
stonesnow
2000 LYFH
stonesnow

Any pictures of Jim's grave? Now I don't think that's right what the fans do at his grave with all the graffiti and such. What do you think since you were
there?

I did shoot some pics probably 1982, but I don't hav a scanner...sorry.
Jim's name was posted everywhere and near his grave was a bust that got stolen later and another one as well. There where empty bottles everywhere and dead flowers and the graffiti was just everywhere but not done professional.
The graffiti here was done by amateurs and it does not belong here!
I think there's a 24 hours security in Pere Lachaise right now near JM's grave.
Sometimes a homeless person sleeps in one of those beautiful graveyardcabins at
Pére Lachaise and I was there again just a few years ago to look around and shoot some pics of this great place in Paris.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 11, 2012 20:59

Pics of Morrison's grave here: [www.google.com]

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 11, 2012 23:15

Anyone see what I seeeye popping smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home