Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Grrr box
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 11, 2012 01:38

bluesinc.
when grrr was listed the first time on amazon.de i´ve ordered the deluxe box with the ibc disc etc. for just 39 euros.

So did I, and I got it today. It really is the superdeluxe boxset which goes for over 100 Euros now. I just can't believe how happy and lucky I am. All 80 songs sound absolutely great. Especially the bonus CD and the vinyl EP. Had those recordings on bootlegs, but I never ever before heard them in such great soundquality. Yes, I am very happy today

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: November 11, 2012 03:25

At the stevehoffman.tv forums, I wrote this about the IBC disc (among other things):

Okay, here are my first impressions... I only listened to the songs that might yield interesting new information, so I didn't listen to everything yet.

I'll start with the bad news. I'm 99% certain that the IBC recordings were sourced from the bootleg, except Bright Lights Big City which I'll cover later. A stereo glitch in Diddley Daddy (at 2:09) makes this obvious, along with the well-known tape drag at the beginning of the song, which does sound slightly different (as if they tried to fix it), but isn't actually gone. There's a similar stereo glitch near the end of I Want To Be Loved. So, those who expected improved versions of the IBC sessions will be disappointed. They did compress it in mastering, although it's not really horrible in a loudness war sense. Bright Lights Big City is very peculiar. It sounds like ****, not like the bootleg I have of it at all. It must've been sourced from a pretty scratchy acetate, as there's obvious surface noise. Honestly, the bootleg sounds much better! Frankly, I would've preferred them to put these recordings on the EP and put the BBC recordings, which are supposedly in pristine stereo sound, on the bonus CD. Alas, it wasn't my call. I intend to keep my EP mint, so I won't be playing it at all. I'm hoping for someone to upload a nice needledrop. Anyway, in case it wasn't obvious yet: don't buy the Super Deluxe version if it's just for the IBC sessions. You'll be disappointed for sure.

19th Nervous Breakdown is indeed the static-less version, Ruby Tuesday is indeed correct, YCAGWYW is indeed the single mix in stereo, Plundered My Soul is unfortunately the album mix and that's about as far as my listening experience goes right now. I agree that the dynamic range seems to be better than on earlier UMG releases, but I didn't really look into this with any degree of rigor, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

I have to say the artwork is nice-looking, if a bit impractical. The entire package is BIG and it was shipped in an even larger box that must've been almost a meter wide.

As for the credits, One More Shot is indeed a Jagger/Richards/Jordan song. Bob Clearmountain apparently remixed Neighbours, although the song doesn't really sound different to me. None of the other songs have remixing credits, although some have mixing credits (most don't). I'm betting this is just the mix we all know. The two ABKCO discs were mastered by Bob Ludwig, the others were mastered by Stephen Marcussen. The copyright on the IBC recordings is shared between ABKCO and Promotone.

Sorry, guys... sad smiley

Later, I added this less interesting bit:

Midnight Rambler is the studio version, from the Let it Bleed album.
We Love You is the stereo version, as it can be found on the More Hot Rocks hybrid SACD.

And when somebody said:

Interesting how for "Wild Horses" they use Ludwig's mastering, but for the other Sticky Fingers tracks it's Marcussen's.

I responded:

Well, essentially the same thing happened on Forty Licks. Wild Horses is on the second ABKCO disc and Brown Sugar is on the first UMG/RSR disc. Of course, they are on the same disc for the 3CD edition. Given that both recordings belong equally to both companies, the arrangement makes sense. It could've been done either way, but I consider Brown Sugar the start of a new era, so I prefer having it like this. Interestingly, the credits claim that Wild Horses is owned by ABKCO and Brown Sugar by Promotone. I'm not sure if this reflects a change in the actual ownership or not. :confused:

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 11, 2012 03:38

FreeBird
At the stevehoffman.tv forums, I wrote this about the IBC disc (among other things):

Okay, here are my first impressions... I only listened to the songs that might yield interesting new information, so I didn't listen to everything yet.

I'll start with the bad news. I'm 99% certain that the IBC recordings were sourced from the bootleg, except Bright Lights Big City which I'll cover later. A stereo glitch in Diddley Daddy (at 2:09) makes this obvious, along with the well-known tape drag at the beginning of the song, which does sound slightly different (as if they tried to fix it), but isn't actually gone. There's a similar stereo glitch near the end of I Want To Be Loved. So, those who expected improved versions of the IBC sessions will be disappointed. They did compress it in mastering, although it's not really horrible in a loudness war sense. Bright Lights Big City is very peculiar. It sounds like ****, not like the bootleg I have of it at all. It must've been sourced from a pretty scratchy acetate, as there's obvious surface noise. Honestly, the bootleg sounds much better! Frankly, I would've preferred them to put these recordings on the EP and put the BBC recordings, which are supposedly in pristine stereo sound, on the bonus CD. Alas, it wasn't my call. I intend to keep my EP mint, so I won't be playing it at all. I'm hoping for someone to upload a nice needledrop. Anyway, in case it wasn't obvious yet: don't buy the Super Deluxe version if it's just for the IBC sessions. You'll be disappointed for sure.

19th Nervous Breakdown is indeed the static-less version, Ruby Tuesday is indeed correct, YCAGWYW is indeed the single mix in stereo, Plundered My Soul is unfortunately the album mix and that's about as far as my listening experience goes right now. I agree that the dynamic range seems to be better than on earlier UMG releases, but I didn't really look into this with any degree of rigor, so take this comment with a grain of salt.

I have to say the artwork is nice-looking, if a bit impractical. The entire package is BIG and it was shipped in an even larger box that must've been almost a meter wide.

As for the credits, One More Shot is indeed a Jagger/Richards/Jordan song. Bob Clearmountain apparently remixed Neighbours, although the song doesn't really sound different to me. None of the other songs have remixing credits, although some have mixing credits (most don't). I'm betting this is just the mix we all know. The two ABKCO discs were mastered by Bob Ludwig, the others were mastered by Stephen Marcussen. The copyright on the IBC recordings is shared between ABKCO and Promotone.

About Neighbours: the Tattoo You LP was originally remixed by Bob Clearmountain.

For the post '71 songs they used the 2009 remasters. Just the sound level is a bit lower when compared to the original CD's.

Date: November 11, 2012 03:49

kowalski
About Neighbours: the Tattoo You LP was originally remixed by Bob Clearmountain.
Mixed by Bob Clearmountain, yes. But you can't really say it was remixed if no earlier mix has been released. Besides, Neighbours was one of the two newly-recorded songs on the album. Start Me Up and Waiting on a Friend don't have a remixing credit.

Date: November 11, 2012 04:40

FreeBird
kowalski
Mixed by Bob Clearmountain, yes. But you can't really say it was remixed if no earlier mix has been released. Besides, Neighbours was one of the two newly-recorded songs on the album. Start Me Up and Waiting on a Friend don't have a remixing credit.

If you have a close look at the original LP label you can see "Remix by Bob Clearmountain".

Except for Neighbours and Heaven, all songs were from previous sessions and have been already mixed several times. The final mixes for most of the Tattoo You songs were done during the Emotional Rescue sessions. Bob Clearmountain was asked to remix the whole album so that all songs would have the same sound.
Most likely Chris Kimsey did the original mixes for the "old songs" and Gary Lyons mixed the two new songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-11 04:55 by kowalski.

Date: November 11, 2012 04:48

kowalski
If you have a close look at the original LP label you can see "Remix by Bob Clearmountain".
Alright, then. That only leaves the questions of why they didn't mention this in the credits of the other Tattoo You tracks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2012 08:06

Rolling Hansie
bluesinc.
when grrr was listed the first time on amazon.de i´ve ordered the deluxe box with the ibc disc etc. for just 39 euros.

So did I, and I got it today. It really is the superdeluxe boxset which goes for over 100 Euros now. I just can't believe how happy and lucky I am. All 80 songs sound absolutely great. Especially the bonus CD and the vinyl EP. Had those recordings on bootlegs, but I never ever before heard them in such great soundquality. Yes, I am very happy today

I got the same deal, and while I share your enthusiasm, I'd still rather have gotten into the rehearsal 'gig'.

Date: November 11, 2012 12:04

treaclefingers
I'd still rather have gotten into the rehearsal 'gig'.

Absolutely, no bout adoubt it

-------------------

Date: November 12, 2012 03:33

UPDATE: Brown Sugar now scores DR8, compared to its earlier UMG score of DR6.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 12, 2012 13:15

Got mine super deluxe today. Still can't believe they charged 40 Euros pre-sale on amazon.de

Wish 'Charlie is my darling' would be issued in intermediate format [DVD (or Bluray) + bonus live CD] for reasonable price.

Date: November 12, 2012 16:47

Rolling Hansie
ll 80 songs sound absolutely great. Especially the bonus CD and the vinyl EP. Had those recordings on bootlegs, but I never ever before heard them in such great soundquality.
Try the "Genuine Black Box" (Scorpio) for equal / superior (Bright Lights Big City) sounding versions of the IBC tracks.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: November 12, 2012 20:05

bluesinc.
crazy, two months ago, when grrr was listed the first time on amazon.de i´ve ordered the deluxe box with the ibc disc etc. for just 39 euros. then it was set up to 99 wich is the price now. but they sent it to me for just the 39. first i was believing that they will cancell it, as they do it very often, lucky guy i am winking smiley

Same for me !
smileys with beer
Paid 42 euros including s&h
Legally they cannot cancel and order once placed and accepted.
Once you have the confirmation email it's a done deal.

Posted by: tattooyou ()
Date: November 13, 2012 11:46

Pity about the typo on one of the title pages - 'Memoribilia'.

Maybe you only get that on the €42 set rather than £100!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 13, 2012 17:04

FreeBird
Rolling Hansie
ll 80 songs sound absolutely great. Especially the bonus CD and the vinyl EP. Had those recordings on bootlegs, but I never ever before heard them in such great soundquality.
Try the "Genuine Black Box" (Scorpio) for equal / superior (Bright Lights Big City) sounding versions of the IBC tracks.

Scorpio box is lossy, and very compressed. The source Scorpio used is the Swingin Pig version.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:34

kowalski
FreeBird
kowalski

Except for Neighbours and Heaven, all songs were from previous sessions and have been already mixed several times. The final mixes for most of the Tattoo You songs were done during the Emotional Rescue sessions. Bob Clearmountain was asked to remix the whole album so that all songs would have the same sound.
Most likely Chris Kimsey did the original mixes for the "old songs" and Gary Lyons mixed the two new songs.

FWIW, I asked Gary L which ones he mixed, and he didn't remember.

Date: November 13, 2012 18:52

Review of the Grrr box here : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 13, 2012 18:54

silkcut1978_
I'd love to give an answer but mine was sent by Amazon yesterday and will arrive on Monday :-( But I picked up the 2CD, 3CD and 3CD limited edition sets today...couldn't resist.

Wait a minute... you've ordered the box set... AND you purchased 3 MORE versions of GRRR???

Happy Hyper-Consumer Day
Pick a colour, sucker.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: November 13, 2012 19:18

bluesinc.
crazy, two months ago, when grrr was listed the first time on amazon.de i´ve ordered the deluxe box with the ibc disc etc. for just 39 euros. then it was set up to 99 wich is the price now. but they sent it to me for just the 39. first i was believing that they will cancell it, as they do it very often, lucky guy i am winking smiley

smileys with beer Got mine today - 33.61 Euro (no shipping)

Date: November 13, 2012 20:30

jamesfdouglas
Pick a colour, sucker.

Now that's not a very nice thing to say

-------------------

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 13, 2012 20:38

FreeBird

Meaning ?

Posted by: django ()
Date: November 13, 2012 20:53

A not so good review on superdeluxeedition.com:

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 13, 2012 21:01

Let's see, put England 1965, the IBC Sessions, and the BBC cuts on one disc, sell it for $9.99 on Itunes and I would buy it. I already downloaded Doom and Gloom for .99 cents. For the Stones post ABCKO era I prefer the Virgin remasters, which I have. For the ABCKO era I have the wonderful SACDs, and a German CD release from the 80s of the first album which is superb. So, $11 bucks is all I need to spend.

Date: November 13, 2012 21:03

gotdablouse
FreeBird

Meaning ?

Meaning is the sound is not as compressed and loud as on the 2009 remastered CD's.
Clearly, it should sound slightly better on Grrr! compilation.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 13, 2012 23:44

jamesfdouglas
silkcut1978_
I'd love to give an answer but mine was sent by Amazon yesterday and will arrive on Monday :-( But I picked up the 2CD, 3CD and 3CD limited edition sets today...couldn't resist.

Wait a minute... you've ordered the box set... AND you purchased 3 MORE versions of GRRR???

Happy Hyper-Consumer Day
Pick a colour, sucker.

And I've already ordered the vinyl box-set. Maybe I have to apologize? Anyway, still some money left and I spent a wonderful time today at the spa with my lady and I'm still able to afford 3 packs of Marlboro per day and nobody has to go to bed hungry in my family. So what the f*ck?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 13, 2012 23:46

silkcut1978_
jamesfdouglas
silkcut1978_

Happy Hyper-Consumer Day
Pick a colour, sucker.

And I've already ordered the vinyl box-set. Maybe I have to apologize? Anyway, still some money left and I spent a wonderful time today at the spa with my lady and I'm still able to afford 3 packs of Marlboro per day and nobody has to go to bed hungry in my family. So what the f*ck?

you feed cigs to your family? you're HARDCORE! rock on!

Posted by: wolfpet ()
Date: November 15, 2012 13:28

Hi Carsten

I am not decided yet if I should buy the Super Deluxe Box - my question is: Is it possible to take out the included 5 CDs for the regular CD shelf? I mean, do they have a jewel box or something similar or do I have to store them inside this huge box (which for sure does not fit in my CD shelf :-)).

Many thanks for a short reply.

Best
Wolfram

Posted by: rpc2uk ()
Date: November 15, 2012 15:04

wolfpet
Hi Carsten

I am not decided yet if I should buy the Super Deluxe Box - my question is: Is it possible to take out the included 5 CDs for the regular CD shelf? I mean, do they have a jewel box or something similar or do I have to store them inside this huge box (which for sure does not fit in my CD shelf :-)).

Best
Wolfram

The book is massive and won't fit on the shelves where I keep my CD's. Might have to build a display unit just for Grrr! The CD's slot inside the back and front cover (I had to get my daughter to get them out as she has smaller more nimble fingers) so if you want to store them seperately you will have to make some new covers yourself.

I picked my copy up from amazon.de for 39 euros and it was a good buy at that price. I think I would have been very disappointed if I paid £100 for it. Very little written info in the book, no details of the tracks, no details of the band members. As mentioned somewhere previously the book looks likes a very fancy auction catalogue.

A missed opportunity, this could have been something really special.

Another problem is the BBC tracks. I don't have a turntable so how do I play these. The IBC demos are on a seperate CD, why not put the BBC tracks on there as well.

On the plus side the 80 track version has the tracks in the correct order. No Streets of Love or She's A Rainbow popping up in the wrong place like the 50 track version

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:27

This phrase should be every Stones fan's avatar!
I can't think of how many times have to read this, with every new Stones release.

How can it be that people just can't enjoy what they have been given?

It's a nice set and it IS something special. A fantastic book, 7" vinyl and Bonus Disc, besides the 80 tracks.

As for credits and track information, it has NEVER been been the Stones style to do so. They let the music speak for itself.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 15, 2012 17:39

rpc2uk
wolfpet
Hi Carsten

Best
Wolfram

The book is massive and won't fit on the shelves where I keep my CD's. Might have to build a display unit just for Grrr! The CD's slot inside the back and front cover (I had to get my daughter to get them out as she has smaller more nimble fingers) so if you want to store them seperately you will have to make some new covers yourself.

I picked my copy up from amazon.de for 39 euros and it was a good buy at that price. I think I would have been very disappointed if I paid £100 for it. Very little written info in the book, no details of the tracks, no details of the band members. As mentioned somewhere previously the book looks likes a very fancy auction catalogue.

Another problem is the BBC tracks. I don't have a turntable so how do I play these. The IBC demos are on a seperate CD, why not put the BBC tracks on there as well.

On the plus side the 80 track version has the tracks in the correct order. No Streets of Love or She's A Rainbow popping up in the wrong place like the 50 track version

errr...buy a turntable, or sell it on Ebay.

People love complaining. I'd like to launch a formal complaint about that.

Posted by: wolfpet ()
Date: November 16, 2012 02:45

Thx Carsten, very helpful!
W.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home