Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The lost? gear
Posted by: bruno ()
Date: December 22, 2004 20:55

Having in mind this is a time with not-so-many-news, this is question for gear experts (Mathijs, ChrisM, DandelionP, liddas...). So here we go.

Could you point some info about what has happened with:

Keith's...
- 72 Custom Tele/s
- Late 70's Rosewood? Tele
- Zemaitis Skulls
- Ted Newman 5-string
- LP Custom P-90
- LP Custom Humbucker
As all of them have been used post-Nellcotte, I suppose some of them get burnt at Redlands...

And what about Ronnie's:
- Zemaitis metal front
- LP Custom 3 Humbucker (or was it 2 humbucker, or Keith's)

Wouldn't mind if any of these fell on my hands...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Re: The lost? gear
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 22, 2004 21:10

Mathijs probably knows the story behind most of these but I as I recall the Zemaitis skulls guitar was burned up during the Redlands fire of '76. I haven't seen a picture of Keith using the 3 pick up LP Custom since the '70 tour so that one I'm not sure about. As to the others if they haven't been lost, destroyed by fire or stolen then they are probably gathering dust in Keiths closet in West Hampton or a warehouse in Manhattan. If doesn't plan to use them I wouldn't mind having one or two myself! Keith, are you reading this?

Date: December 22, 2004 21:14

I believe Keith's 3-pickup LP Custom was one of the guitars stolen at Nellcote. This was the reason I wondered only about post 71 guitars

Date: December 23, 2004 00:21

Ahhhh so desu ka!

Date: December 23, 2004 12:16

"Ahhhh so desu ka!"

What's that, mate???

BTW, anybody has any info, or thoughts, or anything about those guitars?? Are/were they destroyed or gathering dust??

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 23, 2004 13:52

bruno,

thanks for crediting me as "guitar expert"!

The official version about these guitars has already circulated on this board, mainly thanks to Mathijs.

But, if you can keep a secret, I'll tell you that all those axes belong to my personal collection and every now and then Ron or Keef asked me for some "bad" stuff to complete their posing image while on stage.

C

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 23, 2004 15:19

Ronnie was still using his metal fronted Zemaitis until recently for slide work. However, I know he had another Zemaitis stolen from him in the 70's.

Source - an old Guitarist magazine from the 1990's.

Posted by: WAYNEP ()
Date: December 23, 2004 17:27

A friend of mine took a camera to MSG on the 1975 Tour and took a great picture of Keith with the "skull" guitar, and I always wondered why I never saw it again after that. Unfortunately I only have a black and white photo in a frame, with Keith in tight black leather pants, I don't have the negative, or I would try to get more photos processed. But thanx for clearing up that mystery.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 23, 2004 18:15

The Stones have a warehous in the London docks area, and all equipment, when not used on tour or in the studio, is stocked there. Chuch McGee was in charge of the warehouse, Pierre de B. is now.

- 72 Custom Tele/s
Last used on stage at the 1993 Winos tour, used for press pictures in 2002, not seen ever since. Keith said he did some recordings with it for B2B.

- Late 70's Rosewood? Tele
actually a 1969 model. Last seen on the cover of Talk is Cheap, never used after 1982. According to Keith, it was "too bloody heavy".

- Zemaitis Skulls
Last used on the first couple of 1978 shows, but dissapeared since. Most probably stolen during the tour, but stories also mention a fire at Redlands in 1979, but this doesn't explain weith suddenly stopped using it for the 1978 tour.

- Ted Newman 5-string
He had two: one in 1973, which was stolen, and one in 1979, which he only used on stage for the barbarians. Not seen anymore after the Barb's tour.

- LP Custom P-90
You mean the black '54 LP Custom? Last used on the 1973 tour, not seen ever since.

- LP Custom Humbucker
He used at least 2: the one painted with a moon an colours used on the R&R Circus, given away to a friend and now in possesion of a London collector. The second one, used on the 69, 70 and 71 tours, was stolen at Nellcote.

- Zemaitis metal front
He had two: a first with the sharp cut-away, used with the Faces, was stolen in 1977, and replaced with the second one, a model with a slightly rounder cut-away. Last seen by myself on the 1990 tour, but Wood mentions it for a Guitar Magazine interview in 2002. He says he still uses it, but he dislikes the boost function.

- LP Custom 3 Humbucker (or was it 2 humbucker, or Keith's)
I've only seen Wood with a '55 Custom with two P90's. He only used it for slide on the 1978 tour. Never seen since.

Mathijs

Date: December 23, 2004 18:49

OK, Mathijs, thanks a lot for the info. So most of these should be stored in that warehouse, probably gathering dust. Would like to have a look inside... Or take away something, even better.

BTW, Woody did use a 2-Humbucker equipped LP Custom back in 1978. Didn't know about the P-90, though:

It's not very clear, but you can see the pickups

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 24, 2004 11:17

Bruno you're right, I forgot about the 2 PAF LP Custom on the 1978!

Mathijs

Date: December 24, 2004 21:51

Bruno mate, "so desu ka" means in this case "oh really?" in Japanese but a more appropriate response would have been "so deshita ne" or "Ah, that's right!" as you reminded me of that 57 LP Custom's fate. Thanks mate!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1757
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home