Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: single WORST Stones song EVER!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:11

adotulipson
treaclefingers
adotulipson
Well there so many too many to mention really.
Too many crap songs to justify still demanding such high prices for live tickets certainly.

What if they agree, in writing, not to play any of those songs?

Just the good ones?

well it would have been better if they had NEVER played some songs never mind having the audasity to record and release them

they certainly are an audacious bunch.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:12

buffalo7478
Wow, lots of contenders! But in 50 years, they should have some clunkers.

Indian Girl, Winning Ugly and Fight have always fought for #1 in my book (that's excluding Under The Boardwalk, which was just a misguided cover and not an actual Jagger/Richards song)

Is that cuz Dirty Work, Hold Back (Don't Hold Back? I can never remember) and Back to Zero have too many redeeming qualities to make the list?

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:16

You fell out of the clear blue sky, to the darkness below. The smell of your flesh excites me. My blood starts to flow. So help me god.

Dirty work rules ftw!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: November 18, 2012 01:46

arthritis
You fell out of the clear blue sky, to the darkness below. The smell of your flesh excites me. My blood starts to flow. So help me god.

Dirty work rules ftw!

..well i like it...

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 08:59

Most of the Exhile, is All Down The Line and Silver Train the same song.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 18, 2012 10:52

memphiscats
Hot Stuff

It makes me cringe...I know some of you like it...I hate to sound sexist, but I think it's more of a "guy" song. smoking smiley

thumbs up

It sure is pretty BAD, isn't it ? Ugh ... yuk !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2012 10:55

I think Too Much Blood is about the biggest steaming turd they have ever laid on us. Utterly unlistenable. About half of Dirty Work is in the same category, as is half of ABB (the rest is merely mediocre).

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 18, 2012 11:18

71Tele
I think Too Much Blood is about the biggest steaming turd they have ever laid on us. Utterly unlistenable. About half of Dirty Work is in the same category, as is half of ABB (the rest is merely mediocre).

Tele - go outside and into the fascinating Oslo day!

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 18, 2012 11:22

Can't see the issue with Hot Stuff, there are a lot worse songs than that around, like anything Richards sings.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 18, 2012 11:53

lapaz62
Can't see the issue with Hot Stuff, there are a lot worse songs than that around, like anything Richards sings.

Well yeah, one or two things that KR has sung in later years are well beyond anything I can cope with, I'd agree. I freely admit to being one of those that often has used his 5-10 minutes in the spotlight during shows for a bathroom break

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2012 14:14

Sing This Song Altogether (See What Happens) and Back To Zero are my picks.

Date: November 18, 2012 15:05

swiss
71Tele

Tele - go outside and into the fascinating Oslo day!

Swiss: I did! It's gorgeous. Sunny and crisp. I walked all over Bygdoy Peninsula and went to four museums. Going back out in a few minutes.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 18, 2012 15:25

lunar!!!
arthritis

Dirty work rules ftw!

..well i like it...

as do I

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: November 18, 2012 15:33

stonesstein
This is FASCINATING!!!! I love reading all this, and as the result, I am inspired to list my "bottom-10" Stones' songs of all time and some brief commentary:

1. Anyway You Look At It - just positively horrible by any band anywhere. Drags along and perhaps the absolute worst Mick "ballad" ever forced upon the Stones. They ought to be ashamed!

2. Back to Zero - Chuck's crowning achievement - a writing credit with the Stones! Might this have been indicative of that to come? And I like Dirty Work a lot more than Bridges and Steel Wheels, but this one is in a class by itself!

3. Indian Girl - always a horror show of formulaic cheese....what was Mick wanting to write a song like this for, and why didn't Keith call "bs"? Really scary foreshadowing of bad bad bad bad Mick ballads to come!

4. Anybody Seen My Baby? - THE worst Stones single of all time! Mick's pitiful attempt at being 1997 relevant actually sounds about 8 years too late and even then, this thing is so BORING. How in Hades could he think that anyone would want to hear this crap from the Stones? Is Mick that out of touch? I never thought the Stones would stoop to putting out second-rate R&B-funk with a tinge of rap, and "I don't like it, like it, no I don't!" If this isn't bad enough, they friggin stole half of it from KD Lang and thus, had to give her credit. Sorry, KD, though I guess the money is a good salve on the wound! And, Charlie Watts, you're wrong - this is NOT good!

5. Losing My Touch/Keys to Your Heart/Don't Stop are all grouped together for their collective indicia of a nadir seldom seen among this band's work. While there have been very poor LPs (Bridges and Steel Wheels come to mind), even they have some excellent songs on them. However, the lameness of the band's new LICKS offerings is only absent on Stealing My Heart, and even that escapes by the barest of margins.

6. Terrifying/Almost Hear You Sigh/Hearts for Sale/Blinded By Love/Break the Spell - SURPRISE! 1/2 of Steel Wheels is an insult to the band's prior catalog due to its contrived and slapdash composition. Clearly, the Stones had so little in the can after the first of the public feuds b/t the Glimmers until the bottom of the barrel is splashed all over this record! I KNOW it's 5 songs at once, but it's like one HUGE spoonful of schlock complete with studio tan production! UGH!

7. I Got the Blues - REALLY, I am serious. Tribute, my ass! This is the Stones' attempt to write a Stax-tribute, and it drags along and it's hard to say what is worse, Mick's forced and wavering vocals or the horns that just will not go away! YES, I skip this song every time I play the record. NO, I did not upload it into iTunes with the rest of the record, and I am soooooooo happy I did not!

8. Gomper/The Lantern - As Jon Landau wrote in Rolling Stone when Satanic came out - it would've made an INCREDIBLE EP. However, when the grand experiment falls on its ass, it REALLY falls. Come on, guys! Carry the lantern higher than this wavering, listless crap!

9. If You Let Me - no, the pre-psychedelic period is not immune from scheis, and this track is about as bad as it gets from the period. Here, the Stones are doing their best Kinks imitation! Oh, the Joy! Runner up from this era - "Surprise, Surprise" - blah!

10. If You Really Want to Be My Friend - see I Got the Blues and mix it with Anybody Seen My Baby? The Stones go Gamble & Huff, and Gamble & Huff go "puke!" at this really contrived effort. Boring, in a word, and it's NOT only rock and roll.

BONUS - Worst Original LP -[/color] (you guessed it!) Steel Wheels. Many other groups would've given their eye teeth to have an LP this good, but given that we are dealing with the Stones, one has to find bottom somewhere. When asked about Abbey Road having been recorded while the fighting was escalating b/t him and Paul, John Lennon said, "We put out something slick to preserve the myth." Well, Steels Wheels is the Stones' attempt to put out something to revive the machine and tour the world behind. Only problem is that they only had a short EP's worth of songs to "say." After Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Slipping Away, and Continental Drift, this rekkid gets REAL shallow REAL quick.

BONUS #2 - Worst cover song -[/color] My Girl - so many from which to choose such as I've Been Loving You Too Long, Love In Vain (yes, THAT one!), You Better Move On, Love Train, You Can Make It if You Try, and let us not forget that stellar gem, The Nearness of You, but My Girl sinks below all to land on the ocean floor with the whale crap. C'mon, did anyone really think that this was a good version?

There you have it, and thanks so much to everyone for sharing!

GREAT, great post! I don't agree on many of your choices, but I loved reading it and the commentary was wonderful. I think you totally captured Steel Wheels btw - I can't agree with you more.

Again though, that doesn't mean I agree with you - I disagree on a lot. For one thing, I've always had a soft spot for Anybody Seen My Baby. I know it's not particularly popular here, but it works for me. And worst single? How about Streets of Love?

For me what it comes down to is that some of the worst Stones songs tend to be their ballads. For every Wild Horses, or even Almost Hear You Sigh, there are too many Blinded By Rainbows, Streets of Love, and Indian Girls. I am not saying the Stones can't do ballads; I'm saying they usually fall flat, at least to me. I also assume that Mick's behind the calamity! Perhaps unfairly, I don't know...

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: November 18, 2012 16:01

More Hot Rocks
Shattered

Thank you, I totally agree and they love doing it live which is a Mens room run for me.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 18, 2012 16:26

stonesstein
This is FASCINATING!!!! I love reading all this, and as the result, I am inspired to list my "bottom-10" Stones' songs of all time and some brief commentary:

1. Anyway You Look At It - just positively horrible by any band anywhere. Drags along and perhaps the absolute worst Mick "ballad" ever forced upon the Stones. They ought to be ashamed!

2. Back to Zero - Chuck's crowning achievement - a writing credit with the Stones! Might this have been indicative of that to come? And I like Dirty Work a lot more than Bridges and Steel Wheels, but this one is in a class by itself!

3. Indian Girl - always a horror show of formulaic cheese....what was Mick wanting to write a song like this for, and why didn't Keith call "bs"? Really scary foreshadowing of bad bad bad bad Mick ballads to come!

4. Anybody Seen My Baby? - THE worst Stones single of all time! Mick's pitiful attempt at being 1997 relevant actually sounds about 8 years too late and even then, this thing is so BORING. How in Hades could he think that anyone would want to hear this crap from the Stones? Is Mick that out of touch? I never thought the Stones would stoop to putting out second-rate R&B-funk with a tinge of rap, and "I don't like it, like it, no I don't!" If this isn't bad enough, they friggin stole half of it from KD Lang and thus, had to give her credit. Sorry, KD, though I guess the money is a good salve on the wound! And, Charlie Watts, you're wrong - this is NOT good!

5. Losing My Touch/Keys to Your Heart/Don't Stop are all grouped together for their collective indicia of a nadir seldom seen among this band's work. While there have been very poor LPs (Bridges and Steel Wheels come to mind), even they have some excellent songs on them. However, the lameness of the band's new LICKS offerings is only absent on Stealing My Heart, and even that escapes by the barest of margins.

6. Terrifying/Almost Hear You Sigh/Hearts for Sale/Blinded By Love/Break the Spell - SURPRISE! 1/2 of Steel Wheels is an insult to the band's prior catalog due to its contrived and slapdash composition. Clearly, the Stones had so little in the can after the first of the public feuds b/t the Glimmers until the bottom of the barrel is splashed all over this record! I KNOW it's 5 songs at once, but it's like one HUGE spoonful of schlock complete with studio tan production! UGH!

7. I Got the Blues - REALLY, I am serious. Tribute, my ass! This is the Stones' attempt to write a Stax-tribute, and it drags along and it's hard to say what is worse, Mick's forced and wavering vocals or the horns that just will not go away! YES, I skip this song every time I play the record. NO, I did not upload it into iTunes with the rest of the record, and I am soooooooo happy I did not!

8. Gomper/The Lantern - As Jon Landau wrote in Rolling Stone when Satanic came out - it would've made an INCREDIBLE EP. However, when the grand experiment falls on its ass, it REALLY falls. Come on, guys! Carry the lantern higher than this wavering, listless crap!

9. If You Let Me - no, the pre-psychedelic period is not immune from scheis, and this track is about as bad as it gets from the period. Here, the Stones are doing their best Kinks imitation! Oh, the Joy! Runner up from this era - "Surprise, Surprise" - blah!

10. If You Really Want to Be My Friend - see I Got the Blues and mix it with Anybody Seen My Baby? The Stones go Gamble & Huff, and Gamble & Huff go "puke!" at this really contrived effort. Boring, in a word, and it's NOT only rock and roll.

BONUS - Worst Original LP -[/color] (you guessed it!) Steel Wheels. Many other groups would've given their eye teeth to have an LP this good, but given that we are dealing with the Stones, one has to find bottom somewhere. When asked about Abbey Road having been recorded while the fighting was escalating b/t him and Paul, John Lennon said, "We put out something slick to preserve the myth." Well, Steels Wheels is the Stones' attempt to put out something to revive the machine and tour the world behind. Only problem is that they only had a short EP's worth of songs to "say." After Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Slipping Away, and Continental Drift, this rekkid gets REAL shallow REAL quick.

BONUS #2 - Worst cover song -[/color] My Girl - so many from which to choose such as I've Been Loving You Too Long, Love In Vain (yes, THAT one!), You Better Move On, Love Train, You Can Make It if You Try, and let us not forget that stellar gem, The Nearness of You, but My Girl sinks below all to land on the ocean floor with the whale crap. C'mon, did anyone really think that this was a good version?

There you have it, and thanks so much to everyone for sharing!

Reach out for my tissue to dry all your tears.
There is nothing in you quote which gets even close to a song like "I got the blues". Sometimes its just simple as that. If you have nothing to say, just shut your mouth.............:-)

Date: November 18, 2012 17:15

71Tele

Couldn't disagree more with you on Too much blood. It's one of my favorite stones songs. I listened to it 3 times yesterday, and was noting how mick showcases his entire vocal range in that song. Awesome screams. Awesome descending guitar lines and rhythm. I usually hate horns more than anything on earth, but they don't annoy me in Too much blood. Too much blood, to me, almost sounds like a demented theme song for a cruise ship company. Yes it's comical. But i love it. Great corny video featuring keith and ron 'chasing' mick with chainsaws too.thumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 18, 2012 17:19

horn hatred? why? please reconsider. horns rock.

Date: November 18, 2012 17:25

71Tele

after years of careful consideration, i've come to the conclusion that dirty work is the work of a great band trying to prove beyond the shadow of doubt that it was capable of producing a steaming pile of feces. and that, two decades hence, they were out to demonstrate that it wasn't merely a fluke and that this band could stink it up with the best of them still.

Date: November 18, 2012 17:25

Horns generally occupy a tone range that make me cringe and serve no purpose than to obstruct my ability to hear guitar work, which is where i derive my listening pleasure. Horns are generally a sonic middle finger to my listening pleasure.

That aside, another thing i forgot to mention about too much blood. The bass line. Too much blood has a FANTASTIC bass line that needs to be listened to on headphones to be appreciated. It may suprise you if you've previously written too much blood off. In fact, i'm going to listen to it again right now just for the awesome bass line.thumbs up

Date: November 18, 2012 17:42

arthritis
Horns generally occupy a tone range that make me cringe and serve no purpose than to obstruct my ability to hear guitar work

damn those effing stones! what did you ever do to them?

Date: November 18, 2012 19:49

stonesstein

This was in my top ten worst but I named my cat Baby after this song. When I first got her she hide under the bed for several days. I'd sit across the room and softly sing the chorus to her so she would get used to my voice. Now when she snuggles up next to me on the couch I'll sing this to her and she'll start to purr. God I'm weird! LOL.

Scotty

Date: November 18, 2012 21:01

StonesTod
71Tele

after years of careful consideration, i've come to the conclusion that dirty work is the work of a great band trying to prove beyond the shadow of doubt that it was capable of producing a steaming pile of feces. and that, two decades hence, they were out to demonstrate that it wasn't merely a fluke and that this band could stink it up with the best of them still.

Well, they achieved their goal! (What, not a fan of Gloom and Doom?).

Date: November 18, 2012 21:02

arthritis
71Tele

Couldn't disagree more with you on Too much blood. It's one of my favorite stones songs. I listened to it 3 times yesterday, and was noting how mick showcases his entire vocal range in that song. Awesome screams. Awesome descending guitar lines and rhythm. I usually hate horns more than anything on earth, but they don't annoy me in Too much blood. Too much blood, to me, almost sounds like a demented theme song for a cruise ship company. Yes it's comical. But i love it. Great corny video featuring keith and ron 'chasing' mick with chainsaws too.thumbs up

Well, someone thinking Too Much Blood is great is as baffling to me as someone listing I Got The Blues as one of their worst songs. But there you go!

Date: November 18, 2012 21:16

One of the best aspects of dirty work is that for the most part, horns aren't there screwing the songs up. Just twangy guitar, and that's what i want to hear. thumbs up

Date: November 18, 2012 21:27

arthritis
One of the best aspects of dirty work is that for the most part, horns aren't there screwing the songs up. Just twangy guitar, and that's what i want to hear. thumbs up

No, horrible songwriting is there to screw the songs up instead.

Date: November 18, 2012 21:53

Had it with you is a dirty work favorite. Great drum and guitar sound. Great overall mix. Great drive. Lyrics seem fine to me. Superb twang factor. No horns. Awesome.thumbs up

Date: November 18, 2012 21:58

arthritis
Had it with you is a dirty work favorite. Great drum and guitar sound. Great overall mix. Great drive. Lyrics seem fine to me. Superb twang factor. No horns. Awesome.thumbs up

Not as bad as the rest of the record, I'll admit.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: November 18, 2012 22:23

Indian Girl

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 18, 2012 22:43

For many rock artists it has often taken a bad song to get to something really cool. Part of the process for most truly creative people.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home