Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Roger Daltrey in McVicar film (1980)
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 6, 2012 06:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 09:21 by stonesnow.

Re: OT: Roger Daltrey in McVicar film (1980)
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 6, 2012 07:00

He was also in The Legacy (1978), which I remember scaring the hell out of me as a child.

His character was a rock-star type that choked to death on a ham bone.

Another drowns in a swimming pool.

Maybe the director's cut includes scenes of someone dying on the "throne".

Date: November 6, 2012 07:07

Sipuncula
He was also in The Legacy (1978), which I remember scaring the hell out of me as a child.

His character was a rock-star type that choked to death on a ham bone.

Another drowns in a swimming pool.

Maybe the director's cut includes scenes of someone dying on the "throne".

Yes, I remember The Legacy as well from back then, and now I own it on DVD. A well-made atmospheric film set on a sprawling English country estate with plenty of creepy spine-tingling moments--unfortunately, Roger dies early on in the film, and as a "rock-star type" he wasn't really stretching himself all that much as an actor like he did in McVicar.

Date: November 6, 2012 07:14

Date: November 6, 2012 07:27

Free Me, the opening main theme of McVicar (1980)

The promotional video for Free Me

Free Me with clips from McVicar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 09:23 by stonesnow.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 6, 2012 07:57

The McVicar soundtrack is great! And Free Me is a classic Roger rocker. He sounds fantastic on it.
Another great one, sounding very Whoish, with some great Pete harmonies and guitar.

Date: November 6, 2012 08:07

whitem8
The McVicar soundtrack is great! And Free Me is a classic Roger rocker. He sounds fantastic on it.
Another great one, sounding very Whoish, with some great Pete harmonies and guitar.

Yes, I remember in the early 80s when McVicar was running on cable and the TV guide would promote the music as "a blistering Who soundtrack." This is because all 4 members of The Who play on the soundtrack at various times, but the songs were not written by Townshend. Still, it is the closest Who-sounding of all of Daltrey's solo albums and plays well alongside Townshend's Empty Glass released the same year.

A fine double bill for listening back to back

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 6, 2012 08:30

Empty Glass hasn't dated at all. It came on my iPod a few days ago, and it sounds pretty contemporary, synths and all. It also helps that the songs are first rate.
That was a huge record at the time. Unfortunately, it's been kind or forgotten, kind of like Sell Out and The Who By Numbers, except serious fans.
I do remember stumbling across an episode of That '70's Show and Roger showed up as music teacher. I said, "What's he doing in this show?"

Date: November 6, 2012 08:31

Yes I agree, Empty Glass has aged quite well, as has All the Best Cowboys. Empty Glass was quite big in Detroit that summer it came out. I have vivid memories just rocking out to Gonna Get Yer on a boat trip to Ceder Point.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 6, 2012 08:36

whitem8
Yes I agree, Empty Glass has aged quite well, as has All the Best Cowboys. Empty Glass was quite big in Detroit that summer it came out. I have vivid memories just rocking out to Gonna Get Yer on a boat trip to Ceder Point.

Yeah, I remember Gonna Get Ya was played a lot on radio back then in L.A. A lot!
Chris Thomas did a good job, even telling Pete to "come back when you're ready." That was back in his brandy days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-06 09:18 by tomk.

Date: November 6, 2012 08:36

Nothing like the long version of Gonna Get Ya, all 10 rockin' minutes....

Date: November 6, 2012 09:26

Scene from McVicar: Roger Daltrey in a food fight....

Date: November 6, 2012 17:50

Bitter And Twisted from McVicar soundtrack: "The psychopath never takes a bath/'coz he'll wash away his hate"....

Date: November 6, 2012 23:21

The song Without Your Love from the McVicar soundtrack was a top 20 single (U.S.) and remains his highest charted song as a solo artist. It was a number 2 hit in The Netherlands. Written by Billy Nicholls.

Here is Daltrey performing the song live in 2011 as part of a show for the Teenage Cancer Trust at Royal Albert Hall.

Date: November 7, 2012 01:13

whitem8

Have you noticed how the start of My Time Is Gonna Come and the basic rhythm guitar part throughout bears an uncanny resemblance to The Who's treatment of the Batman theme?

Date: November 7, 2012 01:52

Yeah it sure does stonesnow. And that live version of Without Your Love is very good, and Roger sounds fantastic! Fully recovered. Great to hear.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 7, 2012 06:54

I remember seeing this film in the early eighties and thought it was very good. Haven't seen it in years so it would be great to watch it again.

Date: November 7, 2012 07:07

Single Malt
I remember seeing this film in the early eighties and thought it was very good. Haven't seen it in years so it would be great to watch it again.

The full movie is available in the first post in this thread. The soundtrack is also available on CD.

cduniverse.com

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 11, 2012 18:04

stonesnow
Single Malt

The full movie is available in the first post in this thread. The soundtrack is also available on CD.

cduniverse.com

So it seems, thanks. I gotta watch this soon...

Date: November 11, 2012 21:39

Song from the McVicar soundtrack: Just A Dream Away

Date: November 12, 2012 01:22

Another song from McVicar: Waiting For A Friend

Date: November 12, 2012 23:06

A seldom-heard song from the McVicar soundtrack: White City Lights

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 13, 2012 00:23

Years ago Pete told me that he did not play on the McVicar soundtrack. It was just under The Who brand name.

Date: November 13, 2012 02:09

He plays on it! You can hear his backing vocals, and I believe he was even listed in the liner notes, but I beleive he only plays on one song...

Date: November 13, 2012 02:16

Yes, trainarollin, I can't find a single source that says he didn't play on it, and he is listed among the supporting musicians in the liner notes. Not counting Jo Partridge on slide, electric and acoustic guitars, Townshend is one of three guitarists listed (the other two being Ricky Hitchcock and Billy Nicholls). Kenny Jones is one of three drummers listed (the other two being Stuart Elliot and Dave Mattacks). Entwistle is one of three bassists listed (among Herbie Flowers and Dave Markee). Even Rabbit took part as one of the two keyboardists (the other being Ron Aspery). And with Who manager Bill Curbishley listed among the producers (McVicar was distributed under The Who Films imprint), it seems surprising that Townshend wouldn't take part. Roger's bandmates' appearances on the album weren't extensive (limited to one song each I believe), but they were indeed all there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1929
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home