Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Aerosmith Not Phoning It In
Posted by: paulm ()
Date: November 3, 2012 14:35

Really impressed with these guys and this performance. They are a band. Look forward to their upcoming release. Sorry about the Stones.

Re: OT: Aerosmith Not Phoning It In
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: November 3, 2012 14:43

Boring song. But good to see Steven Tyler is taking advice and
decided to wear a bra.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: November 3, 2012 14:53

You are right Paulm. Their new album is not what I had hoped but it's still pretty good. A lot of outtakes turned into songs---sounds like another band with 5 (I mean 4) members.

Joe Perry seems to keep getting better as does the rhythm section (including Whitford).

I know these guys have always been slagged for ripping off the Stones but the more I listen to Aerosmith, the more I find they are a great amalgamation of all of the best of 60s Britsh bands.

I recall one of the Stones saying they hate white bands who rip off white bands who rip off black bands. I believe that everyone has been ripping off everyone since the beginning of time. Aerosmith may have ripped off the second generation of rock bands but so what? Didnt the second generation (Stones,Beatles , Kinks, etc(.rip off the 1st generation?

I for one am on the Aersomith bandwagon.

Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 3, 2012 15:07

They have their moments. Their recent "Chip Away At The Stone" TV performance was good.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: November 3, 2012 15:12

It's a good point, Cafaro. Aerosmith's biggest hook, Walk This Way, was inspired by the Meters. But if anything is unique to their sound, it's the development of that funky, jangly guitar with some dissonant tension notes thrown that is Perry's trademark. Their progressions are interesting too. Aerosmith is holding their own with time, improving in some ways (performance), inverse to my favorite rock band, the Stones, whose new work is musically uninspiring to me.

A big reason for this disparity IMO is that Aerosmith is a band, while the Stones are now an organization, based on something other than creation and friendship. Aerosmith live within a stones' throw of each other on the south shore of Boston. The Stones drifted away from such friendship a long time ago, as is apparent in Keith's book.

The fact that the Stones are together at all is impressive, and one can only hope that creatively, they find something of what brought them together in the first place, the way Aerosmith does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 15:15 by paulm.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: November 3, 2012 15:40

Hey, and Mick prolly wouldn't sing backup for Jimmy Falon,right? lol

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: November 3, 2012 15:53

I dont know if that will ever happen Paul. I mean, as you said, the Stones are an organization. They aren't the punky little blues band that they once were. I doubt Mick would ever want to do a Honkin on Bobo type album..

Stripped not withstanding. Maybe Mick would be interested in doing a disc of the roots on World Music

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2012 16:55

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread on how Steven had discovered texting, and was going to text it in instead of phoning it in.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:21

Since Tyler's American Idol bullshit... which he followed up with those lame Burger King TV ads, Aerosmith has gone the way of the joke of a disaterbacle KISS (and their stupid farewell tour and Gene Simmons idiotic reality TV show) along with other lame bands... once a band heads down "that road"... I am finished with them.

I find Aeromsmith, KISS, Ozzy Osborne etc etc are all totally unwatchable now, and I would not go see them for free. I wont totally turn my back on some of their songs, but as far as respecting the bands... that is over...

I surprised how lame Aerosmith was on Letterman, Tyler is a goofball frontman, just like Paul Stanley.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:29

First time I'm hearing this song and It is STRONG !!! I like it but I fear the rest of the album will not be as good. They can still rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 19:30 by custom55.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:31

The new album 'Music from another Dimension' is getting mixed reviews to say the least; some downright bad ones among the many reviewing it as mediocre and not worth the 11 year wait

It can almost neatly be split into two - the 18 tracks (15 on the regular album, 3 extra on Deluxe) almost falling half into the rock category, the other 7 of 8 tracks ballads or very 80s commercial 'rock' pop songs.

There are a lot of fillers, but also a good smattering of great tracks - 'Oh Yeah', 'Out go the Lights', 'Street Jesus', 'Something', and even single 'Legendary Child' being particularly good.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:50

Yup. Those reviews are exactly right. Its not worth the 11 year wait and alot of people are upset that its not a classic rock album with Jack Douglas (the producer of their 70s heyday) producing. The thing is, I never expected that from Aerosmith, and I guess thats a plus at not being their part of their faithful following. I think Aerosmith's great and love their material, but I don't follow them around and consider them my favorite band ever.

And the thing about the songs being split into 2 is also exactly right. With the bonus tracks, the album is exactly 80 minutes long. It is a tad longer than 1 CD length so its alot. The way I've been listening is there are 9 songs that are great and the CD I wish had come out, and there are 9 songs that I consider the outtakes and would have been better left on the cutting room floor.

The CD I will consider this album as is:

1. LUV XXX
2. Oh Yeah
3. Out Go The Lights
4. Legendary Child
5. What Could Have Been Love
6. Street Jesus
7. Lover Alot
8. Freedom Fighter
9. Another Last Goodbye

Obviously I prefer the more rock material but I think thats a solid album I have made for this 80 minute disc. This ends up being 43 minutes (classic vinyl record length) and includes a sampling of everything from the album. Mostly rock, but there are a few ballads thrown in (What Could Have Been Love, and Another Last Goodbye depending on how you look at that song) and its got one of the 3 Joe Perry songs so it takes from everything.

Then again, the band probably can't really win. Either they put out a full 80 minute disc of material and get criticized that its not all amazing (and who would expect a full 80 minutes to be), or they put out the 43 minute album like I suggested and they get shit on because after 11 years they couldn't come out with 80 minutes of material for everyone. Its a lose lose, and I guess because I had no expecations for this album, I am very happy with the 9 track album I have made from this full album and will suggest my version to others that I think will enjoy it and not have expected something good from Aerosmith. The other positive that it has so much stuff is that there's something for everyone. So if there's ballad material I didn't like, others probably will, and this way the album finds at least one song that everyone will like, so thats a decently successful approach to albummaking at their age as well.

Anyway, the gist on my end is I think my version creates a solid album and I am pleasantly surprised at this output of songs. And a good Letterman show. Since I saw them two years ago when I thought they would suck, they really do put on a great show still.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:53

I thought it was pretty good, what do you want from them,

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:58

Not phoning in this one, either: [www.tmz.com]

Date: November 3, 2012 19:59

[www.cbs.com]

Here's a web exclusive of Train Kept A Rollin' also. Not my favorite of theirs, but its a fan favorite and honestly a pretty powerful performance. Still rockin' at 60 and there aren't many like them anymore that will be remembered like them! Funny to see Joe Perry is pretty much exactly like the Keith Richards of this band.

Date: November 3, 2012 20:02

After listening to some of the tracks, i wondering where Tyler is heading. I'd like to see more rock songs. The friggin ballads are getting old

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 3, 2012 20:15

Cafaro
...I know these guys have always been slagged for ripping off the Stones but the more I listen to Aerosmith, the more I find they are a great amalgamation of all of the best of 60s Britsh bands.

I recall one of the Stones saying they hate white bands who rip off white bands who rip off black bands...

I for one am on the Aersomith bandwagon.

Me too, I'm looking forward to it but but my hopes aren't too high.

Obviously the Stones influences were first generation and Aerosmith were clearly influenced by the Stones, Yardbirds and Fleetwood Mac but I think there's a lot of first gen blues in the Aerosmith melting pot as well.

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: November 3, 2012 20:23

at least the play guitars and don't rely on a piano player

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 3, 2012 20:59

aerosmith kicks ass - same five guys - 40 years on - come on - these guys are freaking awesome

Date: November 3, 2012 21:40

hbwriter
aerosmith kicks ass - same five guys - 40 years on - come on - these guys are freaking awesome
Yup, that pretty much sums it up right there. Like the Stones, but with more original members, it just makes me to see them out there at all. And on top of it, they sound pretty good. I don't get what the problem is.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: November 3, 2012 22:03

thought they sounded pretty good last night at the impromtu fundraiser that Matt Lauer cooked up for the east coast people.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 3, 2012 22:44

What baffles me is that this album was supposed to be a return to the classic era rocker stuff, hence working with Jack Douglas..... so goin on these reviews WTF happened?

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 3, 2012 23:05

Date: November 4, 2012 01:40

SonicDreamer
What baffles me is that this album was supposed to be a return to the classic era rocker stuff, hence working with Jack Douglas..... so goin on these reviews WTF happened?

Cheers,
SonicD
In alot of ways, it really is a return to more guitar driven stuff. I said while listening to this that this is the best MUSICALLY I had heard from them in awhile. I think that definitely shows. Artists tend to speak out of turn when they say they're gonna go make an album that sounds like 30 years ago. They'll try, but I don't know if anyone has been able to replicate that. They hadn't had a guitar driven album probably since Get A Grip and that was 20 years ago? I give them, and Jack Douglas, credit for making alot of songs sound like current rock songs, at least to me. There are ballads because they know they need ballads and have had success from that and gained fans from that. They can't just drop it and I think the band and Jack Douglas know that. Again, it might have been because there was expectation that it was gonna be classic rock that people and reviewers are upset. I didn't expect that so I'm not disappointed. Getting to the whole "you can't please everyone", you know if they had made an album that sounded like 30 years ago people would blast them for living in the past. I'm basically ranting, but I do see what you mean about Jack Douglas. I just think this is their modern way of doing a rock album, plain and simple. I don't follow their interviews, but I'm sure the band says every time that they are going back to making hard rock stuff. Every band does that, KISS comes screaming to mind at their recent releases. It doesn't ever really happen and you just have to learn to not believe it. But I genuinely think they did a great job making (half) a rock album with this one that is really musical driven, better for them than its been in awhile, and made it sound current. Just my two cents, but they don't seem like they're out to release another classic like Toys or Rocks, just something that is good enough for them to promote for alittle while and keeps them from being extinct.

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: November 4, 2012 14:05

They are playing a free gig Monday at noon in front of the first place they lived on Comm. Ave. in Boston.
Should be pretty cool.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 4, 2012 14:16

RollingFreak
Yup. Those reviews are exactly right. Its not worth the 11 year wait and alot of people are upset that its not a classic rock album with Jack Douglas (the producer of their 70s heyday) producing. The thing is, I never expected that from Aerosmith, and I guess thats a plus at not being their part of their faithful following. I think Aerosmith's great and love their material, but I don't follow them around and consider them my favorite band ever.

And the thing about the songs being split into 2 is also exactly right. With the bonus tracks, the album is exactly 80 minutes long. It is a tad longer than 1 CD length so its alot. The way I've been listening is there are 9 songs that are great and the CD I wish had come out, and there are 9 songs that I consider the outtakes and would have been better left on the cutting room floor.

The CD I will consider this album as is:

1. LUV XXX
2. Oh Yeah
3. Out Go The Lights
4. Legendary Child
5. What Could Have Been Love
6. Street Jesus
7. Lover Alot
8. Freedom Fighter
9. Another Last Goodbye

I agree, I've it on my i-pod with the 10 tracks I like up front, the 8 remaining tagged on the end

I'd follow your nine but pull 'What could have been Love' and replace it with Joe's very cool 'Something' - some killer bluesy riffs and a Beatle-y chorus, and add Tom's 'Tell Me'.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 4, 2012 17:21

My tracklisting:

1. LUV XXX
2. Oh Yeah
3. Out Go The Lights
4. Legendary Child
5. Lover Alot
6. What Could Have Been Love
7. Street Jesus
8. Oasis In The Night
9. Freedom Fighter
10. Up On The Mountain
11. Tell Me
12. Another Last Goodbye

Date: November 4, 2012 17:41

looks like you have to buy it at wal mart to get every track coming out for this thing. wal mart has the exclusive track "shakey ground"

Date: November 4, 2012 17:50

SonicDreamer

Cheers,
SonicD

Stop playing the shitty ballads! Rock out Tyler

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: November 4, 2012 18:35

keefriffhard4life
looks like you have to buy it at wal mart to get every track coming out for this thing. wal mart has the exclusive track "shakey ground"

Nope, you need to get Japanese deluxe: 17 songs on cd1 and 3 on cd2

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home