Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Amazing Jagger at Cirkus Krone
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: November 2, 2012 23:38

A generous fan has uploaded the soundboard recording of Cirkus Krone; what a night for Jagger! I think one of the most amazing performances I've heard from him. That's how strong, Stray Cat, even tired war horses like BS: he's really SINGING and Rocking like a powerfouse. Loved it! But the guitars, dear me, what a pity - they ruin the night and I guess that's why we got Olympia and not Krone on Four Flicks. With the fixed tempos they use these days I'd love to copy-paste Jagger's astonishing performance on music from another night!

This is one of these recordings when you think Jagger must be pissed off he has to play with these two erratic blokes when he is SMOKING.

Re: Amazing Jagger at Cirkus Krone
Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 01:09

Thanks for alerting me that this is available. I had no idea. The sound quality is fantastic.

Date: November 3, 2012 01:14

It's one of these rare nights when the Jag sings the high note on HTW chorus, for instance. Great version, too.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: November 3, 2012 01:27

I was there.
My best show ever!

Per-Arne

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 3, 2012 01:34

Can some kind soul upload it on Dime?

Posted by: chemicalreaction ()
Date: November 3, 2012 01:55

I was in the Second Row at that wonderful Night! Cirkus Krone was a Dream come true for me!!! It's remembering for livetime...!!! So... I'm from Munich and my dad was also at Cirkus Krone at 1965 Whene the Stones had the First Gig in Munich.... And he also get in with me in 2003! Cirkus Krone is the best rock'n Roll venue on this Planet!!!! That's how strong my Love is.... Was the best Performance from Mick that i had Seen ever from him.....!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: November 3, 2012 03:48

I agree this was the best theater recording of performance of the licks tour. 6-8-03. I used to have this on my computer but have since lost it. I got it from flying pig productions. which is now defunct.

Jumping Jack Flash
Tumbling Dice
All Down The Line
Sweet Virginia
Worried About You
Stray Cat Blues
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Dance Pt. 1
That's How Strong My Love Is
Going To A Go Go
--- Introductions
The Nearness Of You (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
I Can't Turn You Loose (encore)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 03:56 by tumbled.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: November 3, 2012 03:49

x

oops

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 03:55 by tumbled.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 3, 2012 05:15

Oh. Sweet. Moses. Just downloaded this.

"Worried About You" from this show is a complete utter mess. haha it's unbelievable. Charlie is completely out of sync for nearly half the song. It's hard to believe. They try multiple times to get back on track but they fail. They manage to get out of it but it's still pretty rough. I don't know if there's any worse example of a trainwreck than this!

Date: November 3, 2012 05:22

And yes Mick is nailing the vocal on "Stray Cat Blues." Actually digging into that register in the voice that he almost rarely uses. Like seriously...really up there. The band is timid in their performance...which is a huge shame.

The Circus Krone gets notoriously hot in there. It makes sense that Mick was able to hit those notes that night. There's no better friend to vocal chords than heat.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 05:29 by Justin.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 3, 2012 06:07

Where are you guys finding this audio or video from cirkus krone?

Date: November 3, 2012 07:39

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 3, 2012 08:37

chemicalreaction
That's how strong my Love is.... Was the best Performance from Mick that i had Seen ever from him.....!!!!!!!!!

Yes, for me too. And I have seen a plenty! One could feel that Mick was controlled by invisible forces at that very moment in time.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: November 3, 2012 09:38

I have one set for sale which includes four coloured LPs and two CDs taken from this new soundboard source. It also contains the PRO-SHOT DVD.

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 10:08 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: November 3, 2012 10:30

Also on CYHMK: he goes for the "CAN'T you hear" fearlessly, breaks his voice in the process. One gets the feel that this performance was ment to stay: it's not just Jagger-to-watch but Jagger to listen to. Very, very hot.

As for the band: whatever we say about the sidemen, they form one hell of a band - the break of Dance pt1 is amazingly good, drums and whistles and voices, surely the best instrumental moment of the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 10:39 by otonneau.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 3, 2012 10:55

that proves that a decent sound is very important. Pretty sure you would be amazed by the band performances if you could listen to old shows in great quality.
This is what we discovered thanks to the official releases of Brussels, LA 75.
I plead for the STONES to release MORE MORE shows...
This one appears on the market (OBR ? I thought they were dead) when the Stones are again "touring"...
And that proves too that this band is the best one. In 2003 people would already say they were too old. False..

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 3, 2012 12:39

i was there too,it was very very if not HUMID week in munich,but Krone was a bit like having a sauna winking smiley

Jagger was on fire that night,simply amazing,,,as i tough he was mediocre in stadium show few days earlier.

I have some other great memories from that week,as me and my couple other finish friends went to see Jhonnie Jhonsson,,got an autograph from him,,too bad its lost now,,,after seeing Jhonnie i got really wastedsmileys with beer

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 3, 2012 12:42

It was indeed a very hot show, in every possible way!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 12:52

otonneau
A generous fan has uploaded the soundboard recording of Cirkus Krone; what a night for Jagger! I think one of the most amazing performances I've heard from him. That's how strong, Stray Cat, even tired war horses like BS: he's really SINGING and Rocking like a powerfouse. Loved it! But the guitars, dear me, what a pity - they ruin the night and I guess that's why we got Olympia and not Krone on Four Flicks. With the fixed tempos they use these days I'd love to copy-paste Jagger's astonishing performance on music from another night!

This is one of these recordings when you think Jagger must be pissed off he has to play with these two erratic blokes when he is SMOKING.

I think you're detailed remarks on the guitars just miss an essential point. The whole band did a terrific job, and so Mick could lift himself up to that indeed amazing performance. I was there and, having been at a great many great concerts of the band, Circus Krone blew my mind out like none before and even after so far.
There have also been concerts where the guitar players out-performed Mick's voice, but it's the total that really counts.

Date: November 3, 2012 13:01

Philly spectrum 72 on GS. jagg outperformed yes

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 3, 2012 13:06

Agree: it was a great performance by Jagger.
Agree: the back up band do a great great job. I love it, vegas or not!

Don't agree: guitar department is absolutely great too. Unfortunately the mix is not too good.

Don't agree: I find the quality of the recording slightly annoying. At first it sounds great, but soon I have the feeling that something is not right. Vocals, chuck and all guitar solos are perfect, the rest is too unfocused. It sounds like a 89 tour recording!

C

Date: November 3, 2012 13:35

Guitar department is great? I hear no intro that isn't shaky. The basic riffs - SMU, HTW - are fine and groovy, but JJF, TD, the intro to Dance, the solo on WAY I find very poor. ENSTL sounds like any patchy pub band...

I don't believe Jagger is being "carried" by the band at all. There are many shows from this era when you'll hear him go "Come on Ronnie" or whatever and then hear Ronnie squeeze some bizarre shapeless sound from his guitar. Jagger knows what he has to do, and one of his tasks is to project the athmosphere of a band on fire, no matter what.

If the guitars were that strong, I wonder why the show was disregarded for 4flicks? I think it is clear from Jagger's performance that he has in mind the fact that it is being recorded for potential release - that's when he cracks his voice rather than wisely save it for next time. At Olympia, I think he is simply not in such good form, but the overall performance being clearly stronger, the show was chosen anyway.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 3, 2012 14:01

otonneau
Guitar department is great? I hear no intro that isn't shaky. The basic riffs - SMU, HTW - are fine and groovy, but JJF, TD, the intro to Dance, the solo on WAY I find very poor. ENSTL sounds like any patchy pub band...

I'm not saying there are no usual bum notes here and there (and a huge clunker on JJF intro ...) but overall the guitars deliver serious rock and roll funky drive. There are places (Dance is a good example) when the mix is so bad that the guitars just stand out too much: instead of being the underground groove makers, they are on top of ... nothing. Just focus on what is happening in the back ground and all that comes form the guitars makes sense.

One of the great things of the official boots is that they show how great the dynamics of the whole band were and are.

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 14:02 by liddas.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 17:08

otonneau

If the guitars were that strong, I wonder why the show was disregarded for 4flicks? I think it is clear from Jagger's performance that he has in mind the fact that it is being recorded for potential release - that's when he cracks his voice rather than wisely save it for next time. At Olympia, I think he is simply not in such good form, but the overall performance being clearly stronger, the show was chosen anyway.

Looking at the video recording of the show, it reminds me of Knebworth 1976. I vagely remember, that at some point the lights were dimmed, because of the incredible heat. The video quality of especially the low light parts is very, very poor, so that could have been a reason not to use the material officially.

l'Olympia's "Hand of Fate" was pretty much screwed up and even some additional "polishing" couldn't hide that. Still, that show made it to 4Flicks.

Posted by: chemicalreaction ()
Date: November 3, 2012 17:49

alimente
chemicalreaction
That's how strong my Love is.... Was the best Performance from Mick that i had Seen ever from him.....!!!!!!!!!

Yes, for me too. And I have seen a plenty! One could feel that Mick was controlled by invisible forces at that very moment in time.

You are so right! It was the best Summer in my live "2003"!! I got also in to Olympia Paris, Cirkus Stockholm and Vredenburg Uttrecht.... But "That's how strong my Love is" was on Cirkus Krone the best Version and Mick was Kind a like the Last Performance in his Life.... He did it unbelievable strong and Hard Breaking......!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 17:50 by chemicalreaction.

Date: November 3, 2012 18:06

currently listening to the show on headphones. There is a kind of snore at the bottom but the sound is excellent and Mick's perf is awesome yes.

The video is not from 1st generation obviously. But excellent anyway.

It's been a while since something like that did not surface. A true gem.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:30

Agreed on this topic! I was listening to it yesterday and was a little stunned how Jagger just went for it vocally. From "That's How Strong" to CYHMK to the Otis Redding encore, the man was giving a vocal performance that the likes of which I haven't heard him do since the 70's. I have always thought that the Licks tour represented his best post-78 vocal performances of any tour, but this one really stands out.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:47

Don't forget the 'nearness' miracle, that song only few people even knew before brought up by Keith in a very intimate manner for the very first time.

Not only for me Krone was 'the mother of all stones shows'

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 3, 2012 18:52

I honestly don't think the show - just to my ears - was overall as good a show as so many people here make it out to be. Definitely a great one, and Jagger was astounding, but I think I have heard better overall performances from the tour. One problem I have with this newly circulated recording - while it sounds terrific - is that Ronnie is clearly louder than Keith in the mix. Has anyone else noticed that? Once Ronnie starts playing his guitar literally cuts through the mix and drowns Keith out.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 19:38

This concert was a myth until this recording came up.
All the people who where there said it was their best show ever.
Just read the reviews.
Circus Krone
What made it a myth was that there was no recording (well, there was one but a more than bad one) and all people could recall was only the memory on that show.
And that was good because that is all what counts.
It was the best show I've ever been to. Maybe Wembley September 13, 2003 comes close but Circus Krone was it.
Now this boot comes up. A raw unmixed version of this show. What this recording doesn't get is the overall experience AND the overall sound the band delivered this evening and that was amazing.

You can go on and critized this show now note by note and there were more than a few but this was it - Pure Rock'n'Roll and pure Rolling Stones.

I wish that this recording would have never hit the surface. Glad that I have my own memories on that fantastic show.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1643
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home