Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Singles Collection The Rolling Stones 3 CD Set
Posted by: Turner ()
Date: November 1, 2012 15:33

I have the original 1989 and am curious if the 2002 improvements are worthwhile?

A reviewer on Amazon seems to think so (see below) but I wanted to check with the experts of course!

68 of 69 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Always Get What You Want September 23, 2003
By "btomarra"
Format:Audio CD
The original three Cd set issued back in 1989 had problems. Many songs were spliced together from different sources (Heart of Stone and Honky Tonk Woman had stereo intros attached to mono mixes. Time Is On My Side was not the single version.

The new digipack corrects these mistakes. Oh and kudos on Street Fighting Man with Mick Jagger's tripple track vocal. It is the single mix. It sees the light of day on this set.

But, more mistakes appear. Tell Me is the album take not the single edit. Honky Tonk Woman is in stereo (it never appeared that way as a single). And Ruby Tuesday is a fold down of the alternate stereo version that appeared on Between the Buttons and Hot Rocks. It is missing Mick's extra vocal overdub on the chorus. The remastering gurus are silent on this major flub! It is correct, I believe on Forty Licks!

The Under-Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" on the original set was a 3:14 "uncensored" edit of the track. The new ABKCO set loses this variant, and instead uses the album version from Out Of Our Heads.

So, better sounding than its predecessor. But where problems were corrected from the old set, new ones are made!

Re: Singles Collection The Rolling Stones 3 CD Set
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 1, 2012 17:25

I bought all the 2002 reissues, but even the completest in me couldn't bring me to buy this.

The fact that it is full of problems makes me feel better about the decision.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 1, 2012 17:29

Turner

All you need to know about remasters.

[www.lukpac.org]

Scroll down to section 4.18 for Singles collection.

Date: November 1, 2012 17:30

Thanks, I wish the Amazon reviewer addressed whether there is a noticeable improvement in sound from 1989

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 1, 2012 17:43

While there are some flaws on the 2002 version, the set is worthwhile IMO.

Tell Me is in fact not the album version, but the edit from More Hot Rocks, which is about a minute shorter than the album version. However, the real single edit appears on the Singles Box Set 1963-1965.

Ruby Tuesday is sadly the wrong mix, which means that the original mono mix is only on the 1989 edition. The correct stereo version appears on Rolled Gold+ and the Vinyl Box from 2010.

The Under Assistant are again the wrong version. Too bad.

Honky Tonk Women appears in stereo, but the original single was just a folddown of the stereo mix, so it is not that bad.

Regarding sound quality: A MAJOR UPGRADE! Everything sounds like the original mono mixes should be, and if you you are familiar with the early mono recordings on the albums and think they sound great, you are experiencing the same here.

Date: November 1, 2012 18:05

wow...I have never seen that site
[www.lukpac.org] simply a ton of detail!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 1, 2012 21:26

Turner
wow...I have never seen that site
[www.lukpac.org] simply a ton of detail!

Blame on me if you'll start hunting for 17 old London CDs winking smiley

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 2, 2012 00:36

Very thankful for this set ... couldn't find some tracks without it.

For example, "Sad Day". The weakest is Disc 3 though ... those non-Stones tracks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2012 04:09

TheDailyBuzzherd
Very thankful for this set ... couldn't find some tracks without it.

For example, "Sad Day". The weakest is Disc 3 though ... those non-Stones tracks.

Yes a sad day indeed to not have that tune in the personal library!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 2, 2012 05:53

Blueranger
Tell Me...However, the real single edit appears on the Singles Box Set 1963-1965.

Ruby Tuesday...The correct stereo version appears on Rolled Gold+ and the Vinyl Box from 2010.

Are either of them 2002 remasters?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2209
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home