Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - "All I Really Need To Know I Learned From KISS"
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 31, 2012 20:30

Brothers and sisters - brothers and sisters! smiling smiley

I mention the Stones in my new e-Book, but like a lot of you, the Stones are not even just a "band" for us anymore - they are a way of life - part of the family.

But KISS, for me, is the band that did, does and will always own a huge part of my heart. I was one of those kids - a nerdy KISS Army brat, as it were.

Thought some of you might appreciate this - it's as much about loving a special band as it is about KISS - though if you are a KISS fan you will totally get this. Robert DeLeo from Stone Temple Pilots wrote an awesome Foreword and even included sketches he did of KISS back in the 8th grade.

Here is an early blurb: "Coming from England I discovered KISS a little later than everyone in the States since the band started as an American phenomenom. Their target demographic was perfect-12 year old white boys who loved fun rock songs combined with comic book hero characters. In England I was probably one of the few young boys who collected American comics so I totally understood how this would appeal to their audiences. The 'three chord' rock bands I was getting into at the time were T-Rex and David Bowie. At such an impressionable age image mixed with the music was everything. So it's easy to see why KISS, who also had the image, would relate to an entire generation of American youth. Add to that an amazing fireworks display, blood-spitting, burning guitars, a huge light show that would put any WWF event to shame, a six inch tongue and you've got one of the most iconic visionary bands of the era. I've read Chris's books. Having been interviewed on many occasions by him, his attention to detail is meticulous. What better person to share KISS stories than a self professed pop-culture junkie, American culture historian, and formerly one of those pre-mentioned white boys!"

--Phil Collen, Def Leppard

Link to the book - [www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 20:37 by hbwriter.

Re: OT - "All I Really Need To Know I Learned From KISS"
Date: November 2, 2012 05:13

Just pulled ahead of Keith on Amazon smiling smiley

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 2, 2012 05:51

Paul Stanley is the Richard Simmons of rock.

Date: November 3, 2012 07:29

are you crazy? paul stanley is one of the greatest frontmen in rock and roll history

Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 3, 2012 08:32

Hi Chris Epting, I've been a "lurker" here for sometime now and recently joined. I've noticed for sometime now you fancy a career as a successful music journalist, you promote yourself at this site, and this has caused some controversy amongst members here.... As a career move, there are pros and cons to what you are doing. The internet is new territory for old business models, and you seem to be making a good attempt at using the internet to "network" and basically show your business card around. Maybe you are also finding the internet is useful for collecting research, speaking to hardcore fans and finding beneficial information. Oldschool journalists have been slow to recognise just what a huge goldmine the internet is providing. Fan forums are especially great for rare and insightful knowledge. I would say Chris you deserve a thumbs up for using the internet in a clever way.

But I'm surprised people at IORR haven't queried your self-promotion more often than they have. For example Geoffrey Guiliano is not very welcome at Beatle fansites, and something that makes him a really annoying character is his relentless self-promotion. I know from seeing past debates you are very sensitive to any criticism at IORR, but Chris you need to realise that the internet is not a one-way street. Creating new threads to promote your work, whether they are Rolling Stones related or not (and many of your published interviews have zero relevance to The Stones anyway), is something people are entitled to question. You are really putting yourself "out there", for better or worse.

On that note, can I say congrats on having another book published. However, as a discerning reader I'd say the whole "life lessons from a pop star" book was successfully written in 2004 in the famous book "Letters To Major Tom" by Dave Thompson. His was an original idea, and the book was very successful. Is this where you got your idea? It sounds like a similar marketing angle.

Speaking of marketing, your previous books have a recurring theme of "celebrity tourism" in them. I'd say your new book continues that theme. But I was wondering if you have deeper ideas you'd like to write...? What is it like trying to pitch these ideas to publishing houses, when they prefer "celebrity tourism" books they can sell at Walmart? I'm assuming you have deeper ideas for your writing. May I suggest, in all honesty, writing about those struggles would make far more compelling reading than yet another interview from a trade fair. Seriously, try writing about that. It would be much more interesting. Good luck

(Edited because the original post seemed too harsh).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 09:09 by johnnyguitar.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 15:09

hbwriter
are you crazy? paul stanley is one of the greatest frontmen in rock and roll history

Now that made me spit my coffee out.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: November 3, 2012 16:57

rattler2004
hbwriter

Now that made me spit my coffee out.

smiling smiley

Date: November 3, 2012 17:15

johnnyguitar
Hi Chris Epting, I've been a "lurker" here for sometime now and recently joined. I've noticed for sometime now you fancy a career as a successful music journalist, you promote yourself at this site, and this has caused some controversy amongst members here.... As a career move, there are pros and cons to what you are doing. The internet is new territory for old business models, and you seem to be making a good attempt at using the internet to "network" and basically show your business card around. Maybe you are also finding the internet is useful for collecting research, speaking to hardcore fans and finding beneficial information. Oldschool journalists have been slow to recognise just what a huge goldmine the internet is providing. Fan forums are especially great for rare and insightful knowledge. I would say Chris you deserve a thumbs up for using the internet in a clever way.

But I'm surprised people at IORR haven't queried your self-promotion more often than they have. For example Geoffrey Guiliano is not very welcome at Beatle fansites, and something that makes him a really annoying character is his relentless self-promotion. I know from seeing past debates you are very sensitive to any criticism at IORR, but Chris you need to realise that the internet is not a one-way street. Creating new threads to promote your work, whether they are Rolling Stones related or not (and many of your published interviews have zero relevance to The Stones anyway), is something people are entitled to question. You are really putting yourself "out there", for better or worse.

On that note, can I say congrats on having another book published. However, as a discerning reader I'd say the whole "life lessons from a pop star" book was successfully written in 2004 in the famous book "Letters To Major Tom" by Dave Thompson. His was an original idea, and the book was very successful. Is this where you got your idea? It sounds like a similar marketing angle.

Speaking of marketing, your previous books have a recurring theme of "celebrity tourism" in them. I'd say your new book continues that theme. But I was wondering if you have deeper ideas you'd like to write...? What is it like trying to pitch these ideas to publishing houses, when they prefer "celebrity tourism" books they can sell at Walmart? I'm assuming you have deeper ideas for your writing. May I suggest, in all honesty, writing about those struggles would make far more compelling reading than yet another interview from a trade fair. Seriously, try writing about that. It would be much more interesting. Good luck

I appreciate the thoughtful take. For the record, I do not "fancy myself as a successful music journalist." I'm a writer trying to make a living to support my family. I've posted here for years as a Stones freak - nothing more - nothing less - and that's easy to look up. I've made friends here, met people off the board, had terrible arguments, wonderful exchanges - you name it - what I'd guess is common for this kind of thing (and I really don't do this sort of thing - i do not spend a lot of time on the internet) Given the breadth of interest and knowledge here - when i post an interview or something, as i have stated here before, to me it's just like sharing a story in a bar. Sure, a few people have taken offense, even suggesting that I get paid when more people read my stuff- which is nonsense- i get paid for what i do, end of story. there is no back end based on anything else. But as well, there are many people that have chimed in to defend what I do, i think (and hope) because they know what brought me here in the first place - the rolling stones. i have opened *hundreds* of stones related threads - so trust me - that is why i love this site - not to "promote" myself. I've become defensive in the past when personal attacks begin, or worse, when things are made up - so sure, I defend myself - in the spirit of things not being a one-way street as you point out.

quick because i've got to run - i've never even heard of the major tom/bowie book - (though i just looked it up --looks interesting) - what inspired me was a day last year when i was in a room with KISS, and my son - just the six of us - and it struck me a. how bizarre it was that a former KISS Army freak could be in that situation and b. I genuinely like the guys, the music, the spirit and the hard work - and so the book idea, as i wrote, hit me in that moment - it was a thank you back to a band that has made my life better.

As far as "deeper" ideas, that is strictly in the mind of the reader - i don't look at my books as "celebrity tourism" per se - many of them are historic travelogues covering hundreds of years of history, wandering north america in search of precise historic locations, with the stories included - have you read them? may be a good idea before you judge. What do you mean exactly by deeper? Do you read my weekly newspaper column? The last two weeks I have gone undercover with a detective as he tries to bust human trafficking rings - is that what you mean? Is that where I should be? Does that meet your standard? Did you research me deep enough to learn those things? Here's one of the pieces - not to promote -but to edify:

[www.hbindependent.com]

Again, what you deem "interesting" seems vague to me - "deeper"- "struggles" - it's extremely judgemental and subjective and so if I might offer a bit of advice back to you, it would be to research your subject before making such bold assumptions. But I do appreciate the feedback, truly - and if you have a Kindle shoot me an email and I'll send you a free copy of the KISS book.

(also - i looked up that Bowie book - you said it was "very successful" but i could find bare trace of it - a scant three reviews on amazon and it is buried in the three millions - what makes you say it was very successful? just curious - seemed like you might be plugging a book smiling smiley
ce

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-03 18:02 by hbwriter.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 3, 2012 17:19

There's nothing quite so fine on a Saturday morning as relaxing with a nice hot cup of Joe and putting on some good music ....

Date: November 3, 2012 17:24

agree! smiling smiley

Date: November 3, 2012 17:36

tatters
There's nothing quite so fine on a Saturday morning as relaxing with a nice hot cup of Joe and putting on some good music ....

come on!!!! the gene solos were just the lead up to the blood and fire! no fair!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 3, 2012 17:41

Sounds like he's got his bass strung with rubber bands.

Date: November 3, 2012 17:45

tatters
Sounds like he's got his bass strung with rubber bands.

i blame bob ezrin - and society

Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 4, 2012 03:02

hbwriter
johnnyguitar

I appreciate the thoughtful take. For the record, I do not "fancy myself as a successful music journalist." I'm a writer trying to make a living to support my family. I've posted here for years as a Stones freak - nothing more - nothing less - and that's easy to look up. I've made friends here, met people off the board, had terrible arguments, wonderful exchanges - you name it - what I'd guess is common for this kind of thing (and I really don't do this sort of thing - i do not spend a lot of time on the internet) Given the breadth of interest and knowledge here - when i post an interview or something, as i have stated here before, to me it's just like sharing a story in a bar. Sure, a few people have taken offense, even suggesting that I get paid when more people read my stuff- which is nonsense- i get paid for what i do, end of story. there is no back end based on anything else. But as well, there are many people that have chimed in to defend what I do, i think (and hope) because they know what brought me here in the first place - the rolling stones. i have opened *hundreds* of stones related threads - so trust me - that is why i love this site - not to "promote" myself. I've become defensive in the past when personal attacks begin, or worse, when things are made up - so sure, I defend myself - in the spirit of things not being a one-way street as you point out.

quick because i've got to run - i've never even heard of the major tom/bowie book - (though i just looked it up --looks interesting) - what inspired me was a day last year when i was in a room with KISS, and my son - just the six of us - and it struck me a. how bizarre it was that a former KISS Army freak could be in that situation and b. I genuinely like the guys, the music, the spirit and the hard work - and so the book idea, as i wrote, hit me in that moment - it was a thank you back to a band that has made my life better.

As far as "deeper" ideas, that is strictly in the mind of the reader - i don't look at my books as "celebrity tourism" per se - many of them are historic travelogues covering hundreds of years of history, wandering north america in search of precise historic locations, with the stories included - have you read them? may be a good idea before you judge. What do you mean exactly by deeper? Do you read my weekly newspaper column? The last two weeks I have gone undercover with a detective as he tries to bust human trafficking rings - is that what you mean? Is that where I should be? Does that meet your standard? Did you research me deep enough to learn those things? Here's one of the pieces - not to promote -but to edify:

[www.hbindependent.com]

Again, what you deem "interesting" seems vague to me - "deeper"- "struggles" - it's extremely judgemental and subjective and so if I might offer a bit of advice back to you, it would be to research your subject before making such bold assumptions. But I do appreciate the feedback, truly - and if you have a Kindle shoot me an email and I'll send you a free copy of the KISS book.

(also - i looked up that Bowie book - you said it was "very successful" but i could find bare trace of it - a scant three reviews on amazon and it is buried in the three millions - what makes you say it was very successful? just curious - seemed like you might be plugging a book smiling smiley
ce

Hi Chris, thanks for replying but you have misunderstood most of my points. You misquote me as saying you "fancy [yourself] as a successful music journalist". My exact statement was "you fancy a career as a successful music journalist". It's an importance difference. The misquote frames my comment as a personal criticism, suggesting you are acting arrogantly etc. My point with that comment was simply this- you are trying to build a career as a successful music journalist.
Frankly I am shocked a journalist would misquote and misinform winking smiley

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the Bowie book before. It was very successful in a number of ways; it received lots of coverage in the UK music press, received strong reviews, and many people in the music industry are familiar with it by now. Yes I said UK music press, but with everyone online these days it shouldn't really matter. For example the first time I heard of the book (from advance publicity) was reading The Guardian online. I'm not a huge Bowie fan, but like any music fan my eyes and ears are open to all kinds of new releases. My point in asking you about the book was to find out if it was an influence, because it certainly started a publishing trend for "fan relationships as narrative". As a writer Chris you know how publishing trends work, surely. Anyhow that was my point. But I must say I'm alarmed you judge the "success" of books according to how many reviews they receive at Amazon (!!!). Sorry but that is a useless way to judge the success of a book.

Thank you for your reply on the "celebrity tourism" comment. I'm familiar with your travelogues only because you promote yourself here at IORR. I have no personal interest in your career, just as you have none in mine. But you promote yourself at this site, so of course we are going to click on your work at some point. Hence my original statement- there are pros and cons to what you do here! Rather than make sarcastic comments about the "standards" someone like me might have (as you did in your reply), please realise the internet is not a one-way street. You shouldn't be surprised when someone expresses an opinion on your work. You started the thread after all. I don't think there's anything wrong with the "celebrity tourism" category. But I do think deeper ideas are much more interesting. My earlier suggestion to you was genuine- it would be much more fascinating to read about your struggles as a writer in the modern music industry, rather than another interview from a freeze-dried trade fair. Your everyday experience as a writer would be much more interesting than something written in the style of an E! Entertainment story. You know what I mean? Writing about the ups and downs of your work doesn't mean you can't write about the musicians and celebrities either. In fact, the combination would be very interesting. By the way, the notion of "depth" in writing is not "extremely judgemental and subjective" as you claim it is. That argument only works if we have no measurement for anything at all. Applied to the real world, depth and quality is something that is real and tangible. For example Keith made a decision to learn country music in greater depth, and look what happened.

My last criticism is your number of OT threads. That's what creates the impression you promote your career at IORR. Without sounding too negative, many of your threads have no relevance to the Stones. For example if you were to interview Phil Collins, I can imagine a thread beginning with "Hey remember back in the 80s when The Stones had a huge hit with Start Me Up? Well someone else who was big in the 80s was Phil COllins. I interviewed him..." There are so many threads of this kind, it seems reasonable for people to query that. I'm not saying you are a bad writer, or a bad person... On the contrary you seem to be a good person and can write well. I'm just saying many of your threads seem to have no relevance to The Stones, and their purpose is to promote your career. Maybe I am wrong, but that is the impression.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-04 03:05 by johnnyguitar.

Date: November 4, 2012 04:05

johnnyguitar
hbwriter
johnnyguitar

[www.hbindependent.com]

ce

Hi Chris, thanks for replying but you have misunderstood most of my points. You misquote me as saying you "fancy [yourself] as a successful music journalist". My exact statement was "you fancy a career as a successful music journalist". It's an importance difference. The misquote frames my comment as a personal criticism, suggesting you are acting arrogantly etc. My point with that comment was simply this- you are trying to build a career as a successful music journalist.
Frankly I am shocked a journalist would misquote and misinform winking smiley

I'm surprised you haven't heard of the Bowie book before. It was very successful in a number of ways; it received lots of coverage in the UK music press, received strong reviews, and many people in the music industry are familiar with it by now. Yes I said UK music press, but with everyone online these days it shouldn't really matter. For example the first time I heard of the book (from advance publicity) was reading The Guardian online. I'm not a huge Bowie fan, but like any music fan my eyes and ears are open to all kinds of new releases. My point in asking you about the book was to find out if it was an influence, because it certainly started a publishing trend for "fan relationships as narrative". As a writer Chris you know how publishing trends work, surely. Anyhow that was my point. But I must say I'm alarmed you judge the "success" of books according to how many reviews they receive at Amazon (!!!). Sorry but that is a useless way to judge the success of a book.

Thank you for your reply on the "celebrity tourism" comment. I'm familiar with your travelogues only because you promote yourself here at IORR. I have no personal interest in your career, just as you have none in mine. But you promote yourself at this site, so of course we are going to click on your work at some point. Hence my original statement- there are pros and cons to what you do here! Rather than make sarcastic comments about the "standards" someone like me might have (as you did in your reply), please realise the internet is not a one-way street. You shouldn't be surprised when someone expresses an opinion on your work. You started the thread after all. I don't think there's anything wrong with the "celebrity tourism" category. But I do think deeper ideas are much more interesting. My earlier suggestion to you was genuine- it would be much more fascinating to read about your struggles as a writer in the modern music industry, rather than another interview from a freeze-dried trade fair. Your everyday experience as a writer would be much more interesting than something written in the style of an E! Entertainment story. You know what I mean? Writing about the ups and downs of your work doesn't mean you can't write about the musicians and celebrities either. In fact, the combination would be very interesting. By the way, the notion of "depth" in writing is not "extremely judgemental and subjective" as you claim it is. That argument only works if we have no measurement for anything at all. Applied to the real world, depth and quality is something that is real and tangible. For example Keith made a decision to learn country music in greater depth, and look what happened.

My last criticism is your number of OT threads. That's what creates the impression you promote your career at IORR. Without sounding too negative, many of your threads have no relevance to the Stones. For example if you were to interview Phil Collins, I can imagine a thread beginning with "Hey remember back in the 80s when The Stones had a huge hit with Start Me Up? Well someone else who was big in the 80s was Phil COllins. I interviewed him..." There are so many threads of this kind, it seems reasonable for people to query that. I'm not saying you are a bad writer, or a bad person... On the contrary you seem to be a good person and can write well. I'm just saying many of your threads seem to have no relevance to The Stones, and their purpose is to promote your career. Maybe I am wrong, but that is the impression.

hey man- my bad on misreading your quote - though still - I do not "fancy" music journalism as a career - it's a very small part of what I do - and all i meant by the amazon thing was, i read a lot of music books - if it was as successful as you said, i was just surprised so little existed on it - i don't judge books by reviews - but you made it seem like a big deal and i'm not sure it was- at least not here in the US- i;m also not at all familiar with the literary trend it began that you mention. That said, I have no idea how literary trends work so it wouldn't really matter to me - i write what interests me and hope a few folks get into it - and i don't know how to look at the count of what i have written here, but like i said, over the years i've started many (hundreds?) of stones threads and commented on many more - if you'd been around longer i think you'd understand my creds as a Stones fan as it applies here. And sure, I also post things i think might interest the group - that's my MO - if i think it interests this fine bunch here - i post - i'm really fond of a lot the folks here and respectful of their knowledge and i get lots of nice feedback so if i can offer a peek inside the bubble of music i like to do it. To your suggestions, lo if i had the time to write all that i wanted - but a person's got to make a living and raise a family - someday after the fields have been tended to fully smiling smiley (though i like i said, i'm very proud of my newspaper column here in CA as it allows me to explore some very interesting things - and i'm far less interested in writing about me, as a journalist, than i am about telling the stories of others - the KISS book is sort of an anomaly for me) fyi i also do a lot of travel writing, essays, poetry etc - stuff you might like - ANYWAY.... good chatting - 'night

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-04 04:48 by hbwriter.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: November 4, 2012 04:42

Kiss. Great band. Should be in the rock n roll hall of fame. End of story.

Date: November 4, 2012 04:49

stonesriff
Kiss. Great band. Should be in the rock n roll hall of fame. End of story.

no question at all - right on -

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 4, 2012 05:49

Was reading the post about Peter Criss and his new book a couple weeks ago and what a great guy Peter was. It reminded me of the time my wife, a big fan back in the day, went to a Kiss convention in London ('93) and he was there, ostensibly to sign autographs. After ten minutes or so, and with a huge line-up of people still waiting, he left because he said the lights were bothering him.

Cut to '95 at the Commodore in Vancouver, Sarah (wife) is waiting outside the venue before the Bad Boys of Kiss gig (Ace and Peter of course) w/ some friends (cut her some slack, she was 18). Ace arrives, refuses to sign any autographs and when someone attempts to take a pic, shouts "No pictures. I said, no f&*$%n' pictures."

As I said, I was reminded of those anecdotes when I read the Criss thread a ways back but forgot to post Sarah's experiences then. Here they are now. Just for a little balance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-04 05:54 by andrewm.

Date: November 4, 2012 06:15

well look, they all have bad nights- and you never know what else is happening behind the scenes - hard to judge these folks in a vacuum - but it is a drag when they let fans down, for sure. I've seen peter and ace a number of times in various settings like what you describe - have seen them be fantastic - and also a little jerky - some of them handle things better than others.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 4, 2012 17:35

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth was asked what he thought of Gene Simmons and he said, "A fur trader."

Date: November 6, 2012 08:39

I'd take most Mustaine quotes with a grain of salt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home