Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Star Wars Episode VII - 2015
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:46

Who cares who puts the movie out? Both Disney and Lucas films are like the Stones in that they have already given us so much. Having worked at Skywalker Sound I can say that they are probably happy to ink the deal. Lucas is like Keith, insticts are intact but drive and dexterity have waned.

A good film is like a good song and can be done mnay different ways by many different people. peace

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:48

I wonder what it is like to sell something for FOUR BILLION DOLLARS?

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:51

GumbootCloggeroo
Pulp Fiction is a Disney film.

This is technically correct, Disney owned Miramax from '93 to '10.

Making all these films (including Pulp Fiction) "Disney" movies, at least in the sense that Star Wars will be.

The Piano
Clerks
The Crow
Sling Blade
From Dusk Till Dawn
Good Will Hunting
Jackie Brown
Gangs Of New York
Chicago
Kill Bill (vol. 1 & 2)
Garden State
The Aviator
The Queen
No Country For Old Men
and many more....

Date: October 31, 2012 19:55

Naturalust
Who cares who puts the movie out? Both Disney and Lucas films are like the Stones in that they have already given us so much. Having worked at Skywalker Sound I can say that they are probably happy to ink the deal. Lucas is like Keith, insticts are intact but drive and dexterity have waned.

A good film is like a good song and can be done mnay different ways by many different people. peace

That's awesome. So you've been to Skywalker Ranch? Is that where you worked or does Skywalker Sound work out of some other place. Either way, that would be an awesome job.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 31, 2012 20:25

NoCode0680
What this could also mean is that we'll finally see the original films restored, minus all the additional footage George has been adding constantly since '97. He claimed it would never happen, and has only released the originals as bonus footage on one DVD set, and it wasn't cleaned up at all, it was just an old Laserdisc conversion from the early '90's that they tacked onto the DVD set. That set is now out of print and really expensive for anybody that wants the untampered with films.

yyyyyyou mean like this?
You're welcome!
winking smiley

[originaltrilogy.com]

NoCode, also a life-long fan. Star Wars runs through my blood more than even The Stones. I agree ver batim with everything you've put in this thread so far.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 20:30 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: October 31, 2012 20:48

NoCode0680
Naturalust

That's awesome. So you've been to Skywalker Ranch? Is that where you worked or does Skywalker Sound work out of some other place. Either way, that would be an awesome job.

Yes at the Ranch in Marin County. It is indeed an awesome place. The work environment is so cool and friendly I think that places like Google and Apple have used them as a model in recent years. peace

Date: October 31, 2012 21:30

Naturalust
NoCode0680
Naturalust

Yes at the Ranch in Marin County. It is indeed an awesome place. The work environment is so cool and friendly I think that places like Google and Apple have used them as a model in recent years. peace

The the reults show....
e.g. todays google doodle... click around on it [www.google.com]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 31, 2012 21:34

Max'sKansasCity

I sold something on eBay for four billion dollars once.

Date: October 31, 2012 21:37

GravityBoy
Max'sKansasCity

I sold something on eBay for four billion dollars once.

Daaaaaang..... I knew you were the man, contrary to the name, GravityBoy.

The most I ever sold something for was only $600.00..
but someday I hope to buy a Lear Jet on ebay, to save on sales tax.

Date: October 31, 2012 21:39

Oops... typo.

Four dollars... four...

Date: October 31, 2012 22:25

1997, the year of Anybody Seen My Baby, and Greedo shooting first.
What a disappointing year.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 31, 2012 22:27

jamesfdouglas
1997, the year of Anybody Seen My Baby, and Greedo shooting first.
What a disappointing year.

Date: October 31, 2012 22:33

nocode, did you get my link for you earlier in the thread?
All 3 Original Movies edited from HD sources with additional effects 'correcting (ie, boxes around tie fighters) BUT...

All of Lucas's post-'97 CGI bull$#!t edited OUT!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 31, 2012 22:40

jamesfdouglas
nocode, did you get my link for you earlier in the thread?
All 3 Original Movies edited from HD sources with additional effects 'correcting (ie, boxes around tie fighters) BUT...

All of Lucas's post-'97 CGI bull$#!t edited OUT!

Oh yeah I did. I meant to say thanks (in fact I remember typing the message, I don't know why I didn't hit Post). I'm actually downloading them as we speak. Sounds awesome. I have been OK with the Laserdisc transfer, but I've always wished there was a quality version (cleaned up, letterboxed, etc) without George's BS added. Greatly appreciated James.

Date: October 31, 2012 23:07

GravityBoy
Oops... typo.

Four dollars... four...
grinning smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: November 1, 2012 00:55

Fans of the original trilogy need to seek out Harmy's Despecialized Editions of those 3 films. In a nutshell, this dude Harmy has used the best source material available to put together releases that are as close to the original cuts as possible. I was absolutely stunned at the quality when I started watching.

Remember...in the Cantina, Han shot first.

Date: November 1, 2012 01:00

Maybe they can redo the episode where Darth Vadar takes off
his mask, and then.... when he does, it could Micky Mouse inside

Date: November 1, 2012 01:16

Max'sKansasCity
Maybe they can redo the episode where Darth Vadar takes off
his mask, and then.... when he does, it could Micky Mouse inside

I'm surprised George didn't do this on his last "improvement"...

Date: November 1, 2012 01:19

downagain
Fans of the original trilogy need to seek out Harmy's Despecialized Editions of those 3 films. In a nutshell, this dude Harmy has used the best source material available to put together releases that are as close to the original cuts as possible. I was absolutely stunned at the quality when I started watching.

Remember...in the Cantina, Han shot first.

Um... did you not see my last few posts??

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 1, 2012 01:21

Comedy alien rabbits.

George thought this was a good idea.

Anyone remember the old website "JarJar Binks Must Die"?

Like the stupid.. stupid... STUPID... sword fight in the last India Jones film that ends with the stupid boy swinging through the trees like Tarzan and the stupid... stupid.. STUPID... drive over the cliff to land on the stupid branches of the tree.

George lost his marbles after/during ROTJ.

Edit:
----------------

I forgot the stupid.. stupid.. STUPID.. surviving a nuclear explosion in a fridge.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 01:23 by GravityBoy.

Date: November 1, 2012 01:30

Hey James, do you ever read "Blue Milk Special"?

I recently discovered it and started reading it, some of them are really hilarious.

Anybody who doesn't know, it's an online (chronological order) parody comic strip of Star Wars.

Blue Milk Special

Date: November 1, 2012 01:34

NoCode0680

I didn't assume you were deeming it a shitty movie, I'm simply saying that if the movie is good, should it matter who owns the rights? You're making a lot of assumption, like that, and that they'll bring back Jar Jar, etc. Your position has no real concrete stance except for that you're apparently mad that a large company makes a shitload of money. Besides, nobody was more interested in selling toys than George, he would go out of his way to write scenes and invent characters for the express purpose of selling toys. George is pretty much credited with movie merchandising. It barely existed (at least not on the scale George took it to) prior to A New Hope. Which is why Fox (the distributor) couldn't understand why he was so adamant about keeping the merchandising rights, and signed it over to him gladly. So what you're mad about is something George pretty much invented.

As for "reeks of making dollars instead of art", that's what George has been about for a long time. So I don't think it will really be any worse with Disney. It's kind of a non-issue here, as it has been going on with Lucasfilm for a LONG time. George constantly going back and changing the original films (while holding the untampered films hostage) and releasing a new version every few years, getting to the point where you can't recognize them anymore.

There's not really a huge difference structurally here. Lucasfilm always used major studios to distribute their films. MGM, Paramount, Fox, etc. The films are still going to be made by Lucasfilm in house and will be distributed by Disney. The only real difference is that instead of one rich guy getting the profits, another rich guy will get the profits.

OK. You have valid points. I think it's the cringe factor, really. I see Disney reissuing the movies hence the Jar Jar comment. Next thing there will be a Jar Jar feature at Disney Land/World/Planet.

Unfortunately, and this is not in disrepect to you, I have to agree with what you said, that Lucas was more about selling toys. I understand George's desire to remain "independent", which it seems he did rather well considering, and the toy making obviously helped out with that. It irks me to no end that Disney, of all "company's", will now (yes, speculation on my part but for good reason) be hawking Star Wars this and that via McDonald's etc.

More later.

Date: November 1, 2012 01:41

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
NoCode0680

I didn't assume you were deeming it a shitty movie, I'm simply saying that if the movie is good, should it matter who owns the rights? You're making a lot of assumption, like that, and that they'll bring back Jar Jar, etc. Your position has no real concrete stance except for that you're apparently mad that a large company makes a shitload of money. Besides, nobody was more interested in selling toys than George, he would go out of his way to write scenes and invent characters for the express purpose of selling toys. George is pretty much credited with movie merchandising. It barely existed (at least not on the scale George took it to) prior to A New Hope. Which is why Fox (the distributor) couldn't understand why he was so adamant about keeping the merchandising rights, and signed it over to him gladly. So what you're mad about is something George pretty much invented.

As for "reeks of making dollars instead of art", that's what George has been about for a long time. So I don't think it will really be any worse with Disney. It's kind of a non-issue here, as it has been going on with Lucasfilm for a LONG time. George constantly going back and changing the original films (while holding the untampered films hostage) and releasing a new version every few years, getting to the point where you can't recognize them anymore.

There's not really a huge difference structurally here. Lucasfilm always used major studios to distribute their films. MGM, Paramount, Fox, etc. The films are still going to be made by Lucasfilm in house and will be distributed by Disney. The only real difference is that instead of one rich guy getting the profits, another rich guy will get the profits.

OK. You have valid points. I think it's the cringe factor, really. I see Disney reissuing the movies hence the Jar Jar comment. Next thing there will be a Jar Jar feature at Disney Land/World/Planet.

Unfortunately, and this is not in disrepect to you, I have to agree with what you said, that Lucas was more about selling toys. I understand George's desire to remain "independent", which it seems he did rather well considering, and the toy making obviously helped out with that. It irks me to no end that Disney, of all "company's", will now (yes, speculation on my part but for good reason) be hawking Star Wars this and that via McDonald's etc.

More later.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. And I admit as soon as I heard it I had a little knee-jerk reaction, but it's really not that bad once you think about it. Yeah, we might have Disney hawking Star Wars via McDonalds, but George was hawking the prequels through Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, and even the original series through Burger King. I still have some old Empire and Jedi cups from Burger King.

Edit: By the way it looks like George already used McDonalds as well, for The Clone Wars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 01:53 by NoCode0680.

Date: November 1, 2012 02:21

From the interwebs....

New logo for the combined companies, its too big to post here [i.imgur.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 1, 2012 02:27

LucasFilm -> Pixar -> Disney

Date: November 1, 2012 02:29

Date: November 1, 2012 05:14

Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
NoCode0680
Naturalust

The the reults show....

That is cool. Thx Max. . At least someone is hiring creative artistic people to work for them.

The sonification of the house is ok in that context but the idea of that really taking off on web sites has me mousing for my mute button. Web sites that do that can be really annoying. peace

Date: November 1, 2012 19:48

Naturalust
Max'sKansasCity
Naturalust
NoCode0680
Naturalust

The the reults show....

That is cool. Thx Max. . At least someone is hiring creative artistic people to work for them.

The sonification of the house is ok in that context but the idea of that really taking off on web sites has me mousing for my mute button. Web sites that do that can be really annoying. peace
All credit to pointing it out to Greeen Lady....

...but I think it does point out how google allowing the creative juices to flow makes them a better company. I agree with you 158% about web sites making noises before I allow them to, it doesnt affect me anymore, but I know some folks who work in offices get busted by same damned loud web site that starts blaring loud sounds in a quiet office.

The moral- if anyone ever builds, or has someone else build, a web site DO NOT let it make sounds until people ask for it....or you will chase away forever many possible viewers.

May I take a momment to say how great simple webs sites are... LIKE IORR, they simply convey what is needed, without a lot of noise, pop ups or any other BS... just the facts sir. Thanks bv.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 17, 2012 18:21

From today's WSJ, p.A15: "Consider that George Lucas sold Luscasfilm Ltd., including the Star Wars franchise, to Disney this year at least partially to avoid a likely coming hike in the capital-gains tax." (Blame Obama.)

It's funny how Hollywood will be politically liberal, but then hypocritically try to dodge the actions of the politicians they support (Lucas gave a ton to Obama).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 19:05 by Title5Take1.

Date: December 17, 2012 20:40

The best scene in Star Wars Attack of the Clones is when the hippy rabbit Jar Jar Binks dies.. when he's blasted by Han Solo, then chopped to pieces by baby Leia and then fed to Bantas by that guy who says "he don't like you".

I loved that one.

Floppy-earred pos.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home