Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
El Mocambo '77
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 18, 2004 22:52

Does anybody have pictures from the gig? Toronto, 1977?

Re: El Mocambo '77
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 18, 2004 22:53

Get the book A Life On The Road.

Date: December 18, 2004 22:57

OK! Are there many pictures from 77 featured?

Date: December 18, 2004 23:00

Any good web sites with mocambo pics?

Posted by: johang ()
Date: December 18, 2004 23:04

Someone owns the whole soundboard recordings?

Posted by: rob ()
Date: December 18, 2004 23:09

As erikjjf said !

Get The Book !

Date: December 18, 2004 23:54

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 19, 2004 00:43

For good text (as opposed to pix) about that crisis period (actually roughly 1975--1980, but lots, including everything the mounties confiscated from Keith & Anita in the '77 busts, listed in appendix II: 'Royal Canadian Mounted Police Report') get Chet Flippo's 'On The Road With The Rolling Stones" (1985, Doubleday/Dolphin). Writers don't get interviews like the ones Flippo was getting any more - meaning Mick or Keith emptying a bag of white powder on a mirror for interviewer & interviewee to share while chatting. Other highlights: MJ says 'the Rolling Stones' would indeed record & tour IF "Like, Keith went away for a REALLY, really long time. Not if it's a few months or something...but if Charlie wants to, and Ron wants to..." (I paraphrase). Then Flippo's description of Mick listening to a tape of the April 1979 Oshawa RS concert: "Mick ignored [Jerry Hall] and put on the tape...He got up to turn the volume up...I can never forget watching him standing there, reflected in three mirrors in the living room, (drawing) deeper and deeper into himself as he listened to himself and the band, laughing at a mistake, punching triumphantly into the air when he heard himself hitting the note, smiling and nodding at Keith [playing]...He turned once to acknowledge [Jerry & Flippo] as he started dancing...first to his lover and his guest, then to himself. And then just to the Rolling Stones......"

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 19, 2004 01:00

Also you could get the homemade book by this guy from France called Javier Froiz. He really did an outstanding work on his book which is about the tour from '78 and consists of many newspaper clips.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: December 19, 2004 01:34

Thanks for the fantastic picture and everything! Damn it, you feel the heat in the club. Heat and anxiety.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: December 19, 2004 02:52

The intimacy of this gig was fun and novel - but really, apart from Around and Around and maybe Crackin' Up - they were at their lowest. Ronnie's guitar is light and tinny. Keith had lost his cutting edge and Jagger is at his complacent/self-assured worst. What's with the (bloody) percussionist? And 'darling' Billy is no doubt there somewhere. The photo gives the impression of chummy old-gents rockers club. Much prefer the attitude on all 2002-03 club gigs - even if the second guitarist was sometimes out to lunch and there was no punchy R&R bassist.

Bring on 1978 and Revitalization.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 19, 2004 05:26

Dierdre do you have any whole shows or going on basis of LYL side 3?
Within a year they sure got rejuvenated, somehow.
Look how wasted K looks in the stage pic.
I like side 3, 'the el mocambo side' (tho not the mix so much) - Mannish Boy is cool, Crackin Up pure Diddley Bo-reggae,--Around & Around doesnt rock out the way the 12 X 5 version does - it's lighter, & Jagger sounds lost in coked-up self-parody, but dig the rhythm section...Funny, a lot of kids I knew thought it really was almost maybe over

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2004-12-19 06:57 by john r.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: December 19, 2004 11:24

Great book than the chet Flippo "my own the road adventure with the Rolling Stones". It related a part of the Stones 70 period, (75-79).
Chet Flippo was very close the Stones at this time and he relate the 75 tour , all about the Toronto 77 adventure ( el mocambo, Keith trouble and then the 79 show for the blinds)... with the Stones at the 78 texas shows ... before getting trouble with the Stones' manager: P Rudge and being out of the tour.
Really great moment living close the Stones on the road ... a must
but no pictures !
I try to send you a pic of the el Mocambo L.A FORUM ... or could someone tell me how to add a pic with the reply ... sorry don't even know!!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 19, 2004 14:22

Deidre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The intimacy of this gig was fun and novel - but
> really, apart from Around and Around and maybe
> Crackin' Up - they were at their lowest. Ronnie's
> guitar is light and tinny. Keith had lost his
> cutting edge and Jagger is at his
> complacent/self-assured worst.

This is a joke I hope? Considering what went on at that moment in time, they played FANTASTIC! Just listen to the boots off that show. Keith lost his cutting edge? All I hear is cuttin'edge. Ronnie is light and tinny? That's the mix on Love you live. Jagger is at his worst? No (that will do as an answer...........)

Deidre, you say you like the ATTITUDE from the 2002 / 2003 club shows better. Who gives a @#$%& about their attitude when they play as good as in 1977? And do you get al this (the attitude thing) from one or two pictures? Looks to me that they are having a good time!

Date: December 19, 2004 14:24

jeanmarie, heres my e-mail: washington1970@yahoo.se

thanks!

Flippos book seems like a good one and I will buy it - found it on Amazon by the way. Miss the picture books though.

Date: December 19, 2004 14:37

Ive heard dance little sister and it sounds great - Keith at his best - then there is the side 3 on LYL which I love but yes i know about the overdubs. Still it rocks. Besides - they were the genuine real stones back then and i wouldnt compare to the bandana Keith of 2003 ot the correct and "mature" Mick.

Date: December 19, 2004 15:55

as I was to reply about the Stones at the Mocambo ... L.A Forum post first!
and I agree, just listen to Dance Little Sister (THE INTRO IS FANTASTIC).
Hope one of this day, we could hear the rest of the mocambo tape.

Date: December 19, 2004 16:02

jumpingkentflash wrote:
Also you could get the homemade book by this guy from France called Javier Froiz. He really did an outstanding work on his book which is about the tour from '78 and consists of many newspaper clips

Hey, I send you my book but I'm jean marie not Ravier Froiz ! or if exist another one, give me the email please !!!

Date: December 19, 2004 21:01

Potted Shrimp,

I'm serious. I saw them twice in '76. Never been more disappointed at A Stones' gig really. It wasn't just me - many other longer term fans realised they'd lost a massive amount since '73. Love You Live confirmed to me how much they sucked at this period in the seventies. Ronnie's twanging on Rooster is an abysmal disgrace. Just look at Keith in that photo above.

Just compare a clumsy lurching HTW on LYL to the uplifting and liberating one on Ya Yas, for example.

I've recently seen the video of the Knebworth show, (which I attended). Jagger was such a jerk really. He thought he just had to turn up and prance about and shout. Everyone cheered anyway. But they certainly weren't the greatest anything at the time. Greatest superstars maybe.

THINGS HAVE CHANGED.

Date: December 19, 2004 21:34

I also did not like the 1976 tour. So I was only talking about the 1977 show(s). It sound raw and agressive. The songs are spot on to me. Sure Jagger looks like an idiot between 1975-1977 but who cares? We all know why Keith looks like he does on that picture, but he still performs. He didn't suck in Toronto (just listen to the solo recording he made that week, they are magic to me). Ya-Ya's is Taylor, and Love you live is Wood, so no point to compare. So I take the 1977 show(s) over any other show after that period! Just listen to Dance little sister or Let's spend the night together....

Date: December 19, 2004 22:04

potted Shrimp post:
. Sure Jagger looks like an idiot between 1975-1977 but who cares? We all know why Keith looks like he does on that picture, but he still performs. He didn't suck in Toronto (just listen to the solo recording he made that week, they are magic to me).

the classic boring remark: Jagger suck and K Richards is god.
Stones' fan or just Keith' fan !!
being at the El Mocambo or any of the 75 and 76 show and the Knebworth... just a dream of a Stones fan for me.

Date: December 19, 2004 22:15

Were do I say that Jagger sucks? If you read carefully you'll find that I'm pro Jagger in this Thread. And If I would have said that Jagger sucked, that wouldn't be boring, that would just be my opinion. Stones fan or Keith fan? Both!

Date: December 20, 2004 01:34

P Shrimp,

Re HTW, I'm not talking Wood or Taylor at all. I'm talking Richards mainly, and Jagger and Watts. The whole feel of the song. There's simply no comparison.

I consider them, in 1975-76, the Greatest Raunch and Sleeze Band in the world. Totally bloated phenomenon.

From 76-77 it was Steve Jones, Mick Jones and to some extent Steve James (think it was Steve) who kept alive the spirit of a vital Keith Richards.

You mean the Run Run Rudolph Keith sessions?

I like some of Keith's playing with John Phillips from '77, (with Wood and Mick Taylor). Great Keith feel/flow on Mr Blue, for example. Zulu Warrior with Taylor is a blast.

I confess that my 'judgements' are from personal viewings in 76 and from LYL. I've not heard the full Mocambo show.

I think Dance Little Sister is a pretty dire song but have always liked the bass/drum groove. So I look forward to hearing that one. Also look forward to hearing Worried About You from that show.

I've got a copy of the '79 show for the blind and am not much impressed really.

'78 shows are much more animated than 75-76, but I think Keith starts to find some real form again in '81. Like all his work since then, except Talk Is Cheap. (Am a huge DW fan and also SW).'82 tour was a bit patchy? I caught a bad show.

Date: December 20, 2004 02:13

No I'm talking about the cover songs he did on the piano.

Apparment no. 9 / nearness of you ect. Briljant stuff!
From El Mocambo '77 only the following is available:

- dance little sister
- little red rooster-
- hand of fate
- around and around
- route 66
- worried about you
- crackin'up
- let's spend the night together
- mannish boy
- crazy mama (about 22 seconds only)

These songs cannot be compared to any 1976 show or the two dreadfull 1979 shows!

Posted by: johang ()
Date: December 20, 2004 06:39

Yes, Mocambo 77 is Stones back in 75 form (76 sucked as most of the future). Around & Around doenst rock????? Only an idiot would say that. I would hope there is a master all show tape around somewhere, I seem to recall it was auctioned out a few years ago????

Date: December 20, 2004 08:18

"like some of Keith's playing with John Phillips from '77, (with Wood and Mick Taylor). Great Keith feel/flow on Mr Blue, for example. Zulu Warrior with Taylor is a blast. "

What songs are that? And why were they so much better in 75 than in 76? Keiths heroin addiction?

Posted by: davido ()
Date: December 20, 2004 08:26

A lot of fans considered the Stones a parody
of themselves on the Love You Live album
but they carried on, and it is perhaps
ironic that some of this is considered
classic stuff today.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 20, 2004 08:36

>What songs are that?

They are on the John Phillips CD "Pay, Pack And Follow" officially released in 2001.

Date: December 20, 2004 10:38

The El Mocambo-show was way better than Knebworth. They just can't be compared. On El Mocambo the following songs are all great:

-Dance Little Sister
-Route 66
-Little Red Rooster
-Cracking Up
-Around And Around
-Mannish Boy
-Hand Of Fate

Let's Spend The Night Together and Crazy Mama also sounds terrific (unfortunately, only clips of those songs...)

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 20, 2004 11:19

johang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, Mocambo 77 is Stones back in 75 form (76
> sucked as most of the future).

In my opinion, if we listen to the 1976 tour on boots, we mostly listen to the standard SB recordings: Paris, Lyon, London and Knebworth. These recordings are dry and lack any athmosphere. But when you listen to some good audience recordings of some of the 1976 shows (Munich, Frankfurt, Paris june 4, The Hague), and a whole different picture arises. These 1976 were quite good actually!

Mathijs

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home