Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Way OT: All in the Family" greatest sitcom ever....
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:43

I just read this morning about the entire DVD collection being released and have read some very insightful articles about this great show.
Any fans?
Can anyone debate that this show was the greatest sitcom of all time?

By NEIL GENZLINGER
Published: October 26, 2012

“GUYS like us, we had it made,” Archie and Edith Bunker sang to open episodes of “All in the Family,” one of television’s great comedies. “Those were the days.”

To which makers of today’s television shows might respond: “I’ll say. All those viewers. All that influence.”

As the Shout! Factory releases a boxed set this week containing all nine seasons of the series along with some tasty extras, it is clearer than ever what a singular phenomenon “All in the Family” was. Sure, it was a funny show with a fabulous cast, but we can now see that it may also have been a high-water mark for television in terms of how much impact a single series can have in shaping American culture.

Before “All in the Family” sitcoms were largely something to tune in for escape and reassurance. But as of Jan. 12, 1971, when “All in the Family” had its premiere on CBS as a midseason replacement, comedies suddenly had permission to be relevant in the way that variety shows like “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In” and “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour” had already tried.

And it was the American public that granted them this permission, because “All in the Family” was a huge hit, the No. 1 show on television for more than half its run. It represents one of the last times that the best show on TV was also the most popular show on TV.

Today it often seems as if the opposite is true. Some of the best shows of our age — “Mad Men,” “Breaking Bad” — have relatively small audiences. (The recent “Breaking Bad” midseason finale drew an estimated 2.8 million viewers; a generic first-season episode of “All in the Family” had more than 21 million, at a time when the United States had roughly 100 million fewer people in it than it does today.) Conversely, detractors of reality shows like “American Idol” might argue, some of the worst shows on TV are among the most popular.

These days television influences culture through cumulative effect. If society is becoming more tolerant of, say, interracial marriage or openly gay people, it is partly because viewers see mixed marriages and gay characters on a wide range of shows. But 40 years ago, when of course there were only three networks, to be making “All in the Family” was to know that you were putting a topic or a mode of behavior on the American agenda all on your own.

Norman Lear, who created “All in the Family” after being inspired by the British series “Till Death Us Do Part,” said it took a while for him and his crew to grasp just how their little show about the Bunker family — the bigoted Archie; the daffy Edith; their flighty daughter, Gloria; her stridently liberal husband, Michael — was being received and what an opportunity they had.

“I would say for several years, ‘We’re just in the business of entertaining,’ ” Mr. Lear said in a telephone interview. “ ‘We’re not trying to send messages.’ ” He began to think differently, he said, when some people started to grouse.

“Perhaps the first time I realized we were doing something more than entertaining is when people said, ‘Hey, if you want to send a message, there’s Western Union,’ ” he said.

And so he and his writers began to embrace their role as agenda setters, not just via politically charged shouting matches between Archie and Michael, but also by introducing plotlines on subjects like breast cancer and rape. Those cracks about Western Union, Mr. Lear said, grated a bit when he began to look at things from a different perspective, namely: What message had the comedies that preceded his series — airhead shows like “Petticoat Junction” and “The Beverly Hillbillies” — been sending?

“When I started to think about messages,” he said, “you looked around television in those years, and the biggest problem any family faced was ‘mother dented the car, and how do you keep dad from finding out’; ‘the boss is coming to dinner, and the roast’s ruined.’ The message that was sending out was that we didn’t have any problems” — when every real American family was experiencing turmoil and tragedy of all sorts.

As Ron Simon, curator of television and radio at the Paley Center for Media, put it in an interview, “I think Archie Bunker and Norman Lear were signaling that television is now going to be part of the culture.”

Some television dramas, like “Marcus Welby, M.D.,” had explored serious themes before “All in the Family” turned up, but they didn’t generate the buzz or the sustained mass audience of Mr. Lear’s show. Credit that in part to the cast, whose brilliance is only reaffirmed by the boxed set.

These episodes, unlike most comedies from that period, are still very funny, largely because the actors meshed perfectly: Carroll O’Connor as Archie, Jean Stapleton as Edith, Rob Reiner as Michael and Sally Struthers as Gloria. Just how good they were is underscored by two extras in the set: complete versions of never-broadcast pilots for the series from 1968 and 1969, when Mr. Lear was trying to sell it to ABC. The pilots had other actors in the roles eventually given to Mr. Reiner and Ms. Struthers, and their scenes are, to be polite, flat. The show’s crackle was in the way that particular final foursome came together, one of the most memorable ensembles in television history.

There are comedies and dramas on television today with fine casts, of course, but it’s difficult to imagine more than 30 percent of America’s television sets being tuned to the same scripted show each week regardless of quality. The Super Bowl or an “American Idol” finale, maybe, but with scores of channels available and the nation’s defining characteristic being polarization, it’s almost impossible for a scripted series to achieve the kind of must-see status that draws viewers from multiple demographics and sociopolitical camps.

“Everyone talks about fragmentation,” Mr. Simon said, “but I think it’s deeper than that. It’s almost tribalization. Each show has created its own following.”

A liberal-themed show like “The Newsroom” on HBO isn’t going to get many viewers from the right side of the political spectrum. A young-and-hip show like HBO’s “Girls” isn’t going to draw many older viewers. But “All in the Family” seems to have been a show almost anyone except the very young could watch — many presumably siding with Michael’s good sense, as the writers no doubt intended, but others probably thinking, “That Archie, he’s got it right.” That, as Mr. Simon pointed out, was part of the genius of the show: It had enough varying viewpoints that there was something for everyone to latch onto.

Whether “All in the Family” made the country less bigoted or changed people’s behavior and attitudes is difficult to quantify, as noted in an illuminating essay in the boxed set by Marty Kaplan, the Norman Lear professor of entertainment, media and society at the University of Southern California. But Mr. Lear knows one thing from 40 years’ worth of feedback: Everybody seems to have had an Archie Bunker in his or her extended family, and the show became a sort of meeting point for people who might not have had much to say to one another otherwise.

“In the mail through the years, or when people have talked to me, they had an uncle, or a parent, or whatever,” Mr. Lear said. “And when the show was over, they talked. So we triggered conversation about these issues. And that’s the only thing that I can be sure of.”

Re: Way OT: All in the Family" greatest sitcom ever....
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 28, 2012 22:45

prolly my fave tv series of all time. it got off to a tepid start and then caught fire....the big surprise, much to the chagrin of lear & co was that most of the audience was pro-archie...go figure....

Date: October 28, 2012 22:51

StonesTod
prolly my fave tv series of all time. it got off to a tepid start and then caught fire....the big surprise, much to the chagrin of lear & co was that most of the audience was pro-archie...go figure....

Damn that was fast StonesTod...
I remember my Dad watching the show as a kid and knowing who Archie Bunker was etc...but I was too young to get the nuances, the topicality.
I really discovered the show's greatness in reruns in the 80s when Cosby, Family Ties and all the PC crap dominated TV. None of that stuff moved me and this show was like a revelation....I was sort of reliving the early to mid 70s in the excessive 80s of my high school years.
There is something so visceral about this show - and it had balls like no other show...
Shows like Seinfeld and Friends became the norm in the 90s - ultra sophisticated hipsterish.....
But nothing had the grit and heart of AITF.
And that cast! Jean Stapleton was sublime....

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 28, 2012 23:00

No!

Father Ted is the greatest sit-com ever.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 28, 2012 23:33

sadly - the number of archie bunkers seems to be exponentially growing every year in this country.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 28, 2012 23:56

Yes, Norman Lear hit upon a stroke of genius at just the right time, and Carroll O'Connor had the role nailed down so well that Archie Bunker became a prototype term for bigoted reactionary types.

The ending for the first episode was hilarious:

Archie [singing]: "God bless America--[turning to Meathead] you dumb Pollack!"

Meathead: "YOU'RE PREJUDICED! YOU'RE PREJUDICED!"

I used to own a copy of Mad Magazine that in 1972 featured a take-off titled Gall in the Family, which came with a floppy turntable disk that started off like this:

Edith: "Hi, Starchie, how was your day?"

Starchie: "Boy, what a day. I punched a coon, insulted a hebe, belted a dago, and kicked a mick."

Edith: "But Starchie, your father's Protestant!"

Starchie: "They're the woist kind, Edith!"

I believe All in the Family was also the first sitcom to feature a flushing toilet, which in the early days would get huge audience reaction.

It's kind of funny how they mellowed Archie's character later on with the spinoff into the sitcom Archie's Place. He lost a bit of his bite, and with the reactionary conservative 80s getting underway, you'd figure Archie Bunker would have been right at home.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:03

Always loved it. From day 1.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:04

Best sitcom ever hands down!!

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:17

My favorite show of all time without a doubt.

My favorite scene was when michael came downstairs after sleeping so late and Archie said.
Aw look who it is is Rip Van Hussein. And Gloria said, "thats Winkle daddy".
Then Archie said. Winkle Van Hussein, whatever"

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:46

Hey, cool, I'm an "ultrasophisticated hipster!"grinning smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 29, 2012 00:48

Come on, everyone knows that "The Flintstones" is the best sitcom of all time.

Date: October 29, 2012 01:46

stonesnow
Yes, Norman Lear hit upon a stroke of genius at just the right time, and Carroll O'Connor had the role nailed down so well that Archie Bunker became a prototype term for bigoted reactionary types.

I used to own a copy of Mad Magazine that in 1972 featured a take-off titled Gall in the Family, which came with a floppy turntable disk that started off like this:

Starchie: "Boy, what a day. I punched a coon, insulted a hebe, belted a dago, and kicked a mick."

I believe All in the Family was also the first sitcom to feature a flushing toilet, which in the early days would get huge audience reaction.

It's kind of funny how they mellowed Archie's character later on with the spinoff into the sitcom Archie's Place. He lost a bit of his bite, and with the reactionary conservative 80s getting underway, you'd figure Archie Bunker would have been right at home.

hard to pick a favorite Bunkerism but this:
'Everyone knows that England is a fag country...'

or what about when Archie, convinced that God had spared him as a giant crane at work fell inches from him, said:
'Did you ever think God was out to get you and he missed?'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 01:48 by stupidguy2.

Date: October 29, 2012 01:49

stupidguy2
stonesnow

or what about when Archie, convinced that God had spared him as a giant crane at work fell inches from him, promised to dedicated his life to God and Mike said:

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 29, 2012 01:51

Well, one of the better ones anyway. Sank like a stone after Rob and Sally left though.
The "Steffie" years were pure bilge.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:06

Stifle Edith !

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:41

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:42

StonesTod
sadly - the number of archie bunkers seems to be exponentially growing every year in this country.

Stifle yourself StonesTod.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:43

Yes I did loved "All in the Family" back then ........but I love Seinfeld more.........not Seinfeld but the rest of the crew especially the bloopers

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:45

The "Honeymooners" is tough to top, but OK. Some of the Britcoms are shaping up pretty well, Doc Martin, To The Manor Born, Fawlty Towers, and the great Good Neighbors, etc.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 29, 2012 02:47

I've heard all the arguments:

All In The Family
Seinfeld
I Love Lucy

...but that's all wrong!

The 2 greatest undisputed (by me, myself and I) sitcoms were...

1. Mork & Mindy
2. Love That Bob

...now excuse me while I go back to play the blues.

Date: October 29, 2012 02:53

Come on, everyone knows that "Taxi", "Barney Miller" and "Night Court" are the top sitcoms of all time.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:01

stupidguy2
stonesnow

or what about when Archie, convinced that God had spared him as a giant crane at work fell inches from him, said:

....or the time Archie gets locked in that basement storage room overnight with Meathead, and by the end of the show Archie is half-delusional thinking that the workman opening the place up to rescue him must be a miracle and that it's God himself coming to rescue him and the look on Archie's face when he sets his eyes on the black workman and says: "Well, whatduya know?... The Jefferson's was right!"....

Date: October 29, 2012 03:55

stonesnow
stupidguy2
stonesnow

....or the time Archie gets locked in that basement storage room overnight with Meathead, and by the end of the show Archie is half-delusional thinking that the workman opening the place up to rescue him must be a miracle and that it's God himself coming to rescue him and the look on Archie's face when he sets his eyes on the black workman and says: "Well, whatduya know?... The Jefferson's was right!"....

And shoe-bootie...that's when we see why Archie was the way he was. Funny and heartbreaking at the same time.
"The greatest" is purely subjective - I have other favorites: Mary Tyler Moore SHow, Dick Van Dyke Show, The Odd Couple and so many others, but I pick AITF for its cultural context. I was one of Seinfeld's earliest fans - before it became ginormous....but its stuck in the empty, shallow 90s to me. It reflects that nothingness of the 90s...
AITF had heart and balls and it reflected a significant period in the US.
It was about something.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:57

StonesTod

Yeah, and some of them are on this site, sadly. The Obama-hatred that manifests itself here regularly would make old Archie proud.

Date: October 29, 2012 03:59

TheDailyBuzzherd
Well, one of the better ones anyway. Sank like a stone after Rob and Sally left though.

I didn't even watch those incarnations - without Mike and Gloria it lost its bite and without Edith its heart...plus, by 1980 - the times did not have the same sense of urgency..... it had always worked best when it reflected a turbulent culture.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 29, 2012 04:16

stupidguy2
TheDailyBuzzherd

I didn't even watch those incarnations - without Mike and Gloria it lost its bite and without Edith its heart...plus, by 1980 - the times did not have the same sense of urgency..... it had always worked best when it reflected a turbulent culture.

Meathead!

Date: October 29, 2012 04:22

Archie rules!!!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 29, 2012 04:31

Hers's a man who didn't like Ford, didn't like Carter so he wrote in Richard Nixon!! And Archie's response to Mike "That's right buddy boy and your gonna get Reagan in 80!!! How prophetic.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 29, 2012 04:40

stupidguy2
I just read this morning about the entire DVD collection being released and have read some very insightful articles about this great show.
Any fans?
Can anyone debate that this show was the greatest sitcom of all time?

By NEIL GENZLINGER
Published: October 26, 2012

“GUYS like us, we had it made,” Archie and Edith Bunker sang to open episodes of “All in the Family,” one of television’s great comedies. “Those were the days.”

To which makers of today’s television shows might respond: “I’ll say. All those viewers. All that influence.”

As the Shout! Factory releases a boxed set this week containing all nine seasons of the series along with some tasty extras, it is clearer than ever what a singular phenomenon “All in the Family” was. Sure, it was a funny show with a fabulous cast, but we can now see that it may also have been a high-water mark for television in terms of how much impact a single series can have in shaping American culture.

Before “All in the Family” sitcoms were largely something to tune in for escape and reassurance. But as of Jan. 12, 1971, when “All in the Family” had its premiere on CBS as a midseason replacement, comedies suddenly had permission to be relevant in the way that variety shows like “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In” and “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour” had already tried.

And it was the American public that granted them this permission, because “All in the Family” was a huge hit, the No. 1 show on television for more than half its run. It represents one of the last times that the best show on TV was also the most popular show on TV.

Today it often seems as if the opposite is true. Some of the best shows of our age — “Mad Men,” “Breaking Bad” — have relatively small audiences. (The recent “Breaking Bad” midseason finale drew an estimated 2.8 million viewers; a generic first-season episode of “All in the Family” had more than 21 million, at a time when the United States had roughly 100 million fewer people in it than it does today.) Conversely, detractors of reality shows like “American Idol” might argue, some of the worst shows on TV are among the most popular.

These days television influences culture through cumulative effect. If society is becoming more tolerant of, say, interracial marriage or openly gay people, it is partly because viewers see mixed marriages and gay characters on a wide range of shows. But 40 years ago, when of course there were only three networks, to be making “All in the Family” was to know that you were putting a topic or a mode of behavior on the American agenda all on your own.

Norman Lear, who created “All in the Family” after being inspired by the British series “Till Death Us Do Part,” said it took a while for him and his crew to grasp just how their little show about the Bunker family — the bigoted Archie; the daffy Edith; their flighty daughter, Gloria; her stridently liberal husband, Michael — was being received and what an opportunity they had.

“I would say for several years, ‘We’re just in the business of entertaining,’ ” Mr. Lear said in a telephone interview. “ ‘We’re not trying to send messages.’ ” He began to think differently, he said, when some people started to grouse.

“Perhaps the first time I realized we were doing something more than entertaining is when people said, ‘Hey, if you want to send a message, there’s Western Union,’ ” he said.

And so he and his writers began to embrace their role as agenda setters, not just via politically charged shouting matches between Archie and Michael, but also by introducing plotlines on subjects like breast cancer and rape. Those cracks about Western Union, Mr. Lear said, grated a bit when he began to look at things from a different perspective, namely: What message had the comedies that preceded his series — airhead shows like “Petticoat Junction” and “The Beverly Hillbillies” — been sending?

“When I started to think about messages,” he said, “you looked around television in those years, and the biggest problem any family faced was ‘mother dented the car, and how do you keep dad from finding out’; ‘the boss is coming to dinner, and the roast’s ruined.’ The message that was sending out was that we didn’t have any problems” — when every real American family was experiencing turmoil and tragedy of all sorts.

As Ron Simon, curator of television and radio at the Paley Center for Media, put it in an interview, “I think Archie Bunker and Norman Lear were signaling that television is now going to be part of the culture.”

Some television dramas, like “Marcus Welby, M.D.,” had explored serious themes before “All in the Family” turned up, but they didn’t generate the buzz or the sustained mass audience of Mr. Lear’s show. Credit that in part to the cast, whose brilliance is only reaffirmed by the boxed set.

These episodes, unlike most comedies from that period, are still very funny, largely because the actors meshed perfectly: Carroll O’Connor as Archie, Jean Stapleton as Edith, Rob Reiner as Michael and Sally Struthers as Gloria. Just how good they were is underscored by two extras in the set: complete versions of never-broadcast pilots for the series from 1968 and 1969, when Mr. Lear was trying to sell it to ABC. The pilots had other actors in the roles eventually given to Mr. Reiner and Ms. Struthers, and their scenes are, to be polite, flat. The show’s crackle was in the way that particular final foursome came together, one of the most memorable ensembles in television history.

There are comedies and dramas on television today with fine casts, of course, but it’s difficult to imagine more than 30 percent of America’s television sets being tuned to the same scripted show each week regardless of quality. The Super Bowl or an “American Idol” finale, maybe, but with scores of channels available and the nation’s defining characteristic being polarization, it’s almost impossible for a scripted series to achieve the kind of must-see status that draws viewers from multiple demographics and sociopolitical camps.

“Everyone talks about fragmentation,” Mr. Simon said, “but I think it’s deeper than that. It’s almost tribalization. Each show has created its own following.”

A liberal-themed show like “The Newsroom” on HBO isn’t going to get many viewers from the right side of the political spectrum. A young-and-hip show like HBO’s “Girls” isn’t going to draw many older viewers. But “All in the Family” seems to have been a show almost anyone except the very young could watch — many presumably siding with Michael’s good sense, as the writers no doubt intended, but others probably thinking, “That Archie, he’s got it right.” That, as Mr. Simon pointed out, was part of the genius of the show: It had enough varying viewpoints that there was something for everyone to latch onto.

Whether “All in the Family” made the country less bigoted or changed people’s behavior and attitudes is difficult to quantify, as noted in an illuminating essay in the boxed set by Marty Kaplan, the Norman Lear professor of entertainment, media and society at the University of Southern California. But Mr. Lear knows one thing from 40 years’ worth of feedback: Everybody seems to have had an Archie Bunker in his or her extended family, and the show became a sort of meeting point for people who might not have had much to say to one another otherwise.

“In the mail through the years, or when people have talked to me, they had an uncle, or a parent, or whatever,” Mr. Lear said. “And when the show was over, they talked. So we triggered conversation about these issues. And that’s the only thing that I can be sure of.”

I saw the boxed set being advertised on Amazon a few weeks ago. Shout!Factory also released the complete Barney Miller tv series which I picked up for a decent price. I would rank All in the Family and Seinfeld as groundbreaking comedies.

Date: October 29, 2012 04:52

Come on, everyone knows that "I love Lucy" , "Seinfeld" , "The Simpsons" and "South Park" are the most ground breaking sitcoms of all time.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home