Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Newark travel and pre/post show info
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 28, 2012 18:28

Please use this thread for the Newark, New Jersey, USA Rolling Stones show travel and pre/post show info. A summary of the most important posts here will be added to the Newark travel pages:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Things To Do In Newark
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 27, 2012 09:54

Thanks in advance for helping!

Ok, never been to Newark. Only heard it is the @#$%& of America. Going alone and arriving Wednsday, or Thursday morning. I want to stay for the 2nd show, but unsure.

Where would you stay?

Anything to check out that is relatively close to the venue?

Areas to avoid and how is the area around the Prudential Center?

Re: Things To Do In Newark
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 27, 2012 10:20

Newark is not a place you'll want to spend any time in, apart from the concert itself. DO NOT GO WANDERING AROUND. If you want to stay in New Jersey (instead of New York), Hoboken isn't a bad choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 10:20 by Send It To me.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 27, 2012 15:06

hide under a mattress and shiver until shortly before showtime. enjoy!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 27, 2012 15:32

Take the train into New York City, it's a short ride and there are tons of things to do in the Big Apple.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: October 27, 2012 15:33

I'm arriving Thursday evening and going to the show Saturday night, going back to London on Monday evening. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn near the airport to make it eassy to get to the Prudential and also into NY. driven through Newark before, not a place I want to walk around !!

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 27, 2012 16:01

How about stay alive? eye rolling smiley No it's not really that bad! Enjoy people!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 27, 2012 16:34

I have never been to Newmark, but the great writer Philip Roth is from there. I once heard that there is a Roth museum. If you are interested in literature you can go there.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 27, 2012 16:39

Don't waste your time in Newark...Ney York isnt far away at all.

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: October 27, 2012 16:49

Do not hang out in Newark. Go to the concert and split.
Better to hotel at the Airport, or NYC if you're staying for a few days.
As posted above by Send It To Me..... do not wander around.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 27, 2012 16:51

MingSubu

Ok, never been to Newark. Only heard it is the @#$%& of America. Going alone and arriving Wednsday, or Thursday morning. I want to stay for the 2nd show, but unsure.

Where would you stay?

Stay in a hotel right outside the airport (Marriot or Hampton Inn). Use hotel shuttle or taxi to Prudential Center. Taxi or hotel shuttle to Penn Train Station in Newark for Path subway into NYC.

In other words - - avoid Newark heh heh heh!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 16:52 by nightskyman.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 27, 2012 17:04

No joke ...

Arrive for the concert ... leave right after ... lots to see & do in NYC which is a few minutes away.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 27, 2012 17:43

Or stay at the Hilton, which is a few blocks from the Prudential Center, and right next to the train station. You can get into Manhattan in 20 minutes, and spend any free time there. Your hotel will be in safe walking distance to the concert (at least safe right before and after the concert).

Date: October 27, 2012 17:47

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-17 18:27 by schillid.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 27, 2012 18:03

MingSubu

Where would you stay?

<<< Things To Do In Newark >>> ??????

LEAVE ..... preferably ASAP !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 18:49

I wonder if the Stones will open the show the same way Howard Stern opened is pay per view show their years ago?

Live ...from the carjacking capital of the world....

but seriously, haven't spent too much time in Newark as I grew in CT. Hoboken has tons of bars and is very safe ..but there is always plenty to do in NYC.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 27, 2012 18:53

GADAWG
Get murdered by a hip hop Obama supporter.

Stupidest post of the day.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 27, 2012 19:26

Okay, Newark IS very unsafe in some areas. However, by the arena and downtown hotel areas you will be fine, as well as by their Penn Station in the same area.

There is also a nearby neighborhood they call the Ironbound district, which is relatively thriving and has many good restaurants and cafes and such (particularly Portugese).

Ironbound

A quick google search will lead you to many interesting eateries; ones much closer and likely much cheaper and perhaps more interesting than ones you'd find in the overpriced and increasingly less interesting Manhattan landscape.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 27, 2012 19:37

All the above is VERY GOOD ADVICE.

Newark has an excellent mayor who is doing his best to clean up the danger...a longterm problem.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 27, 2012 20:35

Plenty to do in NJ but not a whole lot of things to do in Newark. Since AC is a bit of a drive you are better off spending your time in NYC- that also goes for any pre concert get togethers. You are better off hanging out in the city and then catching the train to Newark.

Rockerfeller Center is a good place to check out in December. They have the giant Christmas tree there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 20:39 by FrankM.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 27, 2012 20:38

stonesrule
All the above is VERY GOOD ADVICE.

Newark has an excellent mayor who is doing his best to clean up the danger...a longterm problem.

Yeah Cory Booker is a good guy but unfortunately Newark (once a beautiful city) didn't turn into a dump overnight and will take a long time to turn around.

Date: October 27, 2012 21:23

Unsafe... They said the same about Washington D.C. And Rio. And Detroit. And Mexico City. But I have walked all of these cities through after shows. No worries. Just be sober and keep alert. No jewelry and no fancy cloths. And I have a trick. Walk in the streets not on the dark sidewalk. Yes. They can't rob you that easily in the street, but watch out for the cars of course. Seriously, most people who are poor do not rob you, they just look for an opening in life. I feel more unsafe in Oslo than in any other place on earth, because I read the newspapers at home. Unsafe and fear is something psychologically.

I am sure Newark downtown will be great during the Stones days, and I look forward to meeting up with many great friends and fans in Newark. I am booked into the closest hotel, I like to walk to and from the venue, easy for news updates, work, time, everything. And I will be flying into Newark airport, so I am not sure if I will ever hit the state of New York and Manhattan... Probably be in NJ and Newark from I arrive till I leave. Unless we do a "homecoming party" at Mustang Harry on the day off.

We just need to find a nice decent bar like Mustang Harry in downtown Newark. Two or three blocks max from the venue. I just love all the beers on tap and nice food and 2-3 blocks walk from Mustang Harry up to MSG, all the great meals and drinks we had there during all the MSG shows. There must be a nice place in downtown Newark too. May be I will fly in a couple of days early to get rid of the jetlag and to see some nice bars. They must have plenty of beer brands on draft. And food. May be not 1664 but something equally easy to drink after the show. I do love Guinnes and a stout and Sam Adams but not after the show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2012 21:51

trick. Walk in the streets not on the dark sidewalk

Love that idea... I think I have done it, without realizing it.
And I always make sure we move on along, no stumbling/bumbling.
Crooks are lazy by defintion... If you walk briskly by then they will wait
for the next slow walking mark. Make someone else easier to mug than you.

Out of sight = out of mind = the bottom line.
Show no diamonds, gold, silver or $400 shoes tennis shoes.

I feel safe in New York City, even if I have to run.
And I NEVER stop to talk in a weird situation/location...
"Hey Buddy, Hey Buddy, come here... can I hold a Dollar" RUUUUNNNNN!!! winking smiley actually walk briskly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 21:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 22:18

71Tele
GADAWG
Get murdered by a hip hop Obama supporter.

Stupidest post of the day.
agree 100%...

Date: October 27, 2012 23:16

My first visit to USA was like this: It was in 1989. October. NYC. Back then the city was craaaazy... We took a cab to the show at Shea Stadium. Driving through Harlem, we could feel the harlem shuffle, the taxi driver offered us a joint, he was smoking it while driving. I said no thanks. I went to all four shows, that was 4 shows in 5 days mind you, then a hockey game at MSG on Friday which was Rangers vs Islanders and it went to a draw, I still remember. I lived on 45th street and was walking down to the MSG on something like 31st st. or so. I do still remember walking those 15 or so blocks like it was a marathon walk. Look straight. Don't stop. Don't talk to anyone. The city of Shattered. I made it both ways, walking to&from before and after the game. I have never been robbed in any city, been on travel on all continents, and I was fine in NYC in 1989, so I think Newark 2012 will be just fine too. But yes I think I will check out Manhattan still.

Bjornulf

Date: October 27, 2012 23:20

There's something to do in Newark?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 28, 2012 00:23

Thanks for all the advice and tips! Keep them coming please.

I like the NYC idea. Rockerfeller Center in December sounds great too.

Man, this is going to be a fun and unexpected, little trip.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2012 00:25

How about be scared. Be very very scared.

Date: October 28, 2012 00:57

Although it should be fairly safe and well-policed near the stadium and train stations, the event could become a magnet for the local criminal elements who'd target concert-goers... More so than home-team basketball and hockey matches.

Overall, I don't think Newark is as safe as Manhattan and many parts of NYC.

Stay safe... walk soberly between the venue and your hotel and station ... you'll be just fine.

Date: October 28, 2012 01:41

NYC subway lines in the familiar colors, other rail lines shown in black.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home