Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Four Flicks Blu Ray??
Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 21:37

Was Four Flicks DVD ever released on Blu-Ray?

Re: Four Flicks Blu Ray??
Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 21:45

No it wasn't. Hopefully they change their mind and release all four discs on BluRay.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 22:09

Henrik, do you have any idea why?

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 22:27

Back in 2003 there was no BluRay und even The Biggest Bang was only released on DVD first. After the BluRay format won the battle against HD-DVD they changed their mind and released it.

But after the releases of BluRays like L&G, At The Max and Some Girls and Texas I think we can expect some more in the future (e.g. Four Flicks, or some BtB / No Security show).

Posted by: grizzlybear ()
Date: October 27, 2012 22:31

Hi guys,

Not easy to release Four Flicks in Blu Ray.
Blu Ray is an exchange media for HDTV programs. HDTV programs can be originated from 35mm film, sometimes 16mm film ( lower HD quality ) or HDTV recording.
All the old material up to The Max was shoot on film, easy to release on Blu Ray.
The Biggest Bang shot on HDTV, easy to be released in Blu Ray.
However if Four Flicks was shot on SDTV 4/3, no chance to ever be released in Blu Ray in decent quality. Simply a technical issue.

Cheers

grizzly

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 27, 2012 22:37

grizzlybear
Hi guys,

Blu Ray is an exchange media for HDTV programs. HDTV programs can be originated from 35mm film, sometimes 16mm film ( lower HD quality ) or HDTV recording.
All the old material up to The Max was shoot on film, easy to release on Blu Ray.
However if Four Flicks was shot on SDTV 4/3, no chance to ever be released in Blu Ray in decent quality. Simply a technical issue.

Cheers

grizzly

Very interesting... Can I assume the same can be said for a release in iTunes?

Also, all things considered, a DVD played on a Blu Ray player )through HDMI) will upconvert to 1080i so that' not too bad really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 22:38 by jazzbass.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 27, 2012 23:00

grizzlybear
Hi guys,

Cheers

grizzly

He is 100% correct. a 4:3 ratio (can't change that) and video-taped instead of filmed (can't change that either) make a blu-ray release unecessary.

jazzbass has a point about upcomverting - which makes a blu-ray release even more pointless.

I'm a stickler for ratio, I can't stand when people watch something released in 4:3 on a 16:9 TV and let it stretch out making everyone and everything look stretched out.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2012 07:20

I wonder if Blu-Ray will go the way of the Do-Do before it gets a chance to be released?

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: October 28, 2012 14:58

jamesfdouglas
He is 100% correct. a 4:3 ratio (can't change that) and video-taped instead of filmed (can't change that either) make a blu-ray release unecessary

Not really. One of the main advantages of a Blu Ray release would be the uncompressed/lossless audio.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 28, 2012 19:42

Youngie
jamesfdouglas
He is 100% correct. a 4:3 ratio (can't change that) and video-taped instead of filmed (can't change that either) make a blu-ray release unecessary

Not really. One of the main advantages of a Blu Ray release would be the uncompressed/lossless audio.

That's the most interesting feature of blu-ray for music videos IMO.
Some Girls in Texas sounds better on blu-ray. Audio on DVD is not so good (low bitrate).

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 2, 2012 01:58

treaclefingers
I wonder if Blu-Ray will go the way of the Do-Do before it gets a chance to be released?

I think it will. I think downloads are the future. All our movies will be stored on a hard drive (or even more likely in a Cloud) just like our music collections are now. Apple TV is now 1080p equalling any advantage Blu-Ray had. In a year or two, TVs will have Apple TV or similar technology already built in making an external device unnecessary.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 4, 2012 20:51

Isn't true Bigger Bangs Blu-Ray is not the complete set of shows? If that's the case, 4Flicks on Blu-Ray is a waste.

Date: November 5, 2012 00:14

nick
Isn't true Bigger Bangs Blu-Ray is not the complete set of shows? If that's the case, 4Flicks on Blu-Ray is a waste.

Half of the DVD content has not been included on the Blu-Ray. Typical $tones...

Date: November 5, 2012 00:16

kowalski
Youngie
jamesfdouglas

That's the most interesting feature of blu-ray for music videos IMO.
Some Girls in Texas sounds better on blu-ray. Audio on DVD is not so good (low bitrate).

thumbs up

Although some DVDs have a fab (albeit lossy) DTS soundtrack and/or uncompressed PCM audio (e.g. Rock and Roll Circus).

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 5, 2012 00:32

I agree with the above, having recently purchased "lets Spend The night together" on Bluray from Japan, sound is better than the DVD - but the quality of the picture is not

Date: November 5, 2012 00:38

midimannz
I agree with the above, having recently purchased "lets Spend The night together" on Bluray from Japan, sound is better than the DVD - but the quality of the picture is not

??? on the previews the picture looked amazing

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 5, 2012 02:47

Glad I chipped in. I withdraw the previous remark. The blurry has 1080p def AND 480i def depending on your screen 16:9 or 4:3 playback. Thanks for the heads up, its a great pic!

Date: November 5, 2012 14:16

midimannz
Glad I chipped in. I withdraw the previous remark. The blurry has 1080p def AND 480i def depending on your screen 16:9 or 4:3 playback. Thanks for the heads up, its a great pic!

Looks better than "Live in Texas '78" Blu-Ray to me. Shame it's not available in Europe sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-05 14:20 by Youngie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home