Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: Monster storm coming to the US east coast
Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 29, 2012 23:22

STiLL HERE @ 5:22pmET ... DAMN! I'm impressed! drinking smiley

Date: October 29, 2012 23:25

Superrevvy, DAMN, that's a lot of water. Reminds me of my sinuses all summer ...

Still here ... OoooOOooops ... just jinxed meself ... angry smiley

Date: October 29, 2012 23:27

Edith Grove
Just to clarify some of the semi-political BS that's been spewed here, up until Katrina during a disaster like this, governmental assistance worked from the local level then up.

In other words, the city or local government would request help from the state, then the state would request federal assistance if required.

The clusterfvck that was the Katrina response was initiated by our incompetent (former) mayor in New Orleans by doing nothing other than declaring an evacuation.
Only after the storm passed did the mayor initiate the call for help.

Since then, the different levels of government have been better coordinated by working together to anticipate disasters like this.

BTW, that incompetent (former) mayor I was speaking of has been under federal investigation for corruption.
If you've ever wondered why federal money wasn't pouring into New Orleans after Kartrina, that might be a good reason why.

Edith ... Mr Go + US Army Corp of Engineers + Corruption + Indifference + Capitalism = Katrina Disaster

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 29, 2012 23:45

When I went to sleep, some of the professional meteorologists were discussing some
truly horrifying scenarios, with the cold northern air feeding the energy of the
warm southern storm, sort of like what happens with a tornado, only on a grand
scale...

Now they seem to be saying that the cold northern air is instead overwhelming
the storm and diminishing it.

I wish I knew enough to say the worst is over. I don't. But what seems clear is
that the worst won't be nearly as bad as it could have been if those warm-cold
components had been in just the right balance.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 30, 2012 00:22

TheDailyBuzzherd
Edith Grove
Just to clarify some of the semi-political BS that's been spewed here, up until Katrina during a disaster like this, governmental assistance worked from the local level then up.

In other words, the city or local government would request help from the state, then the state would request federal assistance if required.

The clusterfvck that was the Katrina response was initiated by our incompetent (former) mayor in New Orleans by doing nothing other than declaring an evacuation.
Only after the storm passed did the mayor initiate the call for help.

Since then, the different levels of government have been better coordinated by working together to anticipate disasters like this.

BTW, that incompetent (former) mayor I was speaking of has been under federal investigation for corruption.
If you've ever wondered why federal money wasn't pouring into New Orleans after Kartrina, that might be a good reason why.

Edith ... Mr Go + US Army Corp of Engineers + Corruption + Indifference + Capitalism = Katrina Disaster

Not sure about the capitalism part, but I agree on everything else.

My point was to clarify how the immediate government response worked up until Katrina, as compared to today.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 30, 2012 00:41

I blame the expansionist policies of Alexander the Great's administration and its imperialist aggression in Kandahar, Afghanistan in the 4th century BCE. All this was clearly spelled out in, and vociferously opposed by, progressives in March 329 BCE if not several weeks earlier.

Getting totally wet here in Washington D.C. (and the weather's not all that nice, either.)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 30, 2012 01:38

Very wet here too in the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia. The wind is really picking up, just went to take the poor dog outside to do his thing and I nearly got knocked over.

Meanwhile, a friend just sent me this. I love all the humor out there, it's good to know everyone is safe and sound.

Preliminary damage from Hurricane Sandy:

Missing: parts of donald trump's hair- reward will be offered

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 30, 2012 01:42

I know many of you will appreciate this one.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 30, 2012 01:49

latebloomer
I know many of you will appreciate this one.

That sign needs spellchecked.... should say GRAB BEERS
.................................................................. RUN LIKE HELL

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 30, 2012 02:27

Quote of the day from Yahoo News comments, with the username of 'Bite Me':

"My ex-wife, also named Sandy, also blew the whole east coast."hot smiley

Date: October 30, 2012 02:31

Floorbird
Witlh the ocean currents getting warmer expect more of this. Who says global warming has no effect?

The Gulf Stream, which Sandy crossed over, is always warm, which has ZERO to do with global warming. It's natural/normal. A storm like Sandy's happened before and it will happen again.

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: October 30, 2012 02:32

Everything is getting washed away, the only thing left are my balls.
And I'm holding on to them for dear life!

Date: October 30, 2012 02:32

GumbootCloggeroo
Max'sKansasCity
This storm and its results will proably receive more attention and assistance from the White House than any other in history. Just saw the Pres talking about it BEFORE it makes land fall... that is a first... versus a AF1 fly-by a week so later.

Nothing like an election year month to get the White House's attention for something like this.
He did the same before Tropical Storm Isaac made landfall a couple of months ago. And same with Hurricane Irene last year. I think it's more of a "Bush f-ucked up with Katrina, let's not repeat that" thing than an election thing.

You got those backwards - Hurricane Isaac and TS Irene.

Date: October 30, 2012 02:48

despite the storm diverting away from NYC and dumping much less rain than
forecast, lower Manhattan is getting hit pretty hard, with a record surge
at Battery Park and the subway system now flooding...

Neighbors!

And people swear this next pic is real and not photoshopped. jaws in a
NJ neighborhood. it must be photoshopped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 02:50 by superrevvy.

Date: October 30, 2012 02:49

Floorbird
Who says global warming has no effect?

Who says there even IS global warming when accurate weather records only go back to the late 19th century ?

Date: October 30, 2012 03:11

The Associated Press

BREAKING: Con Edison says large sections of Manhattan
plunged into darkness by storm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 03:17 by superrevvy.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 30, 2012 03:17

Here on East 62nd St. in Manhattan the scarily quiet is punctuated by terrifying gusts of wind. I am in the back of the building facing south with a view looking out the kitchen window to the north through an alleyway, I saw this big tree bending from east to west during one of the wind gusts and thought the whole tree might get uprooted. Then a bunch of branches snapped and flew up the street to the west. The speed at which they moved would scare the daylights out of you. I noticed a small piece of the tree perhaps one foot long or so but thick fly through the air like a missile past the alleyway's opening. The bark was completely peeled of exposing the jagged whitish pulp which was illuminated in the darkness by a street light.

A friend who forgot to buy some beer considered making a beer run the corner deli but after retelling what I just saw. . .. "Chances are you will make it to the deli and back" said I "but do you want to risk losing an eye to a tree branch?" "Or worse?"

Fortunately I have some organic sulfite-free wine and beet wine( as it sounds wine made from beets which an Amish farmer I know makes).

Stay safe all! may God hold you in the palm of his hand. . .. May the wind always be. . .. Uh, let's just forget it.

"Might as well get juiced."

Thanks Edith Grove for putting the Katrina blame where it most belongs: On Nagin and the Governor!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 04:24 by deadegad.

Date: October 30, 2012 03:30

hoboken Path train station:

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: October 30, 2012 03:40

New England outage totals as of approx. 8:45 EST

)
NewEngland power outages update:

MA: 389,549
NH: 172,162
RI: 116,660
CT: 545,367
VT: 10,196
ME: 60,355

Date: October 30, 2012 03:56

Reports all over the net that the floor of the New York Stock Exchange is
under 3 feet of water...NYSE has just now tweeted a denial

And here's a photo from the Times Square subway station, all the way up on
42nd St, and remember there's not much rain, so I guess this must be river water

But HAPPILY there are now the first reports of the waters having peaked and
just now starting to recede... Mayor just confirmed the worst of the surge
has passed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 04:06 by superrevvy.

Date: October 30, 2012 04:45

I wonder how fast Hollywood will be able to crank out a movie (and how many will they make before they stop) based on what is going on in New York tonight?... although all the pictures they keep showing of Times Square look somewhat normal, all lights on, a few people moving around, wet streets but no flooding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 04:47 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 30, 2012 04:51

Max'sKansasCity
I wonder how fast Hollywood will be able to crank out a movie (and how many will they make before they stop) based on what is going on in New York tonight?... although all the pictures they keep showing of Times Square look somewhat normal, all lights on, a few people moving around, wet streets but no flooding.

I believe they already made the film a couple of years ago--it was called 2012. No, just kidding. Yeah, I suppose Denzel Washingmachine could go for another disaster gig. He just did a plane crash flick, so a hurricane/flood flick would be a perfect segue for him.

Date: October 30, 2012 05:00

stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

I believe they already made the film a couple of years ago--it was called 2012. No, just kidding. Yeah, I suppose Denzel Washingmachine could go for another disaster gig. He just did a plane crash flick, so a hurricane/flood flick would be a perfect segue for him.

Not that I would ever admit it... but I enjoyed 2012 and it WAAAAAAAAYYYYY over top action. But these movies will be like "Where were you when the lights went out" and .... oh you know all of those low budget films that jump on this type of crap.... people stuck... flooding waters, lost dogs, pregant women, good hearted drug dealers, the bad karma wallstreet fkr, throw in a hero taxi driver, a couple of milfs, some teenage runaways..... maybe a wanna acttress headed to Broadway....IF YOU CAN MAKE IT TEHRE!!!... hell that is IT! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 05:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 30, 2012 05:03

Max'sKansasCity
stonesnow
Max'sKansasCity

Not that I would ever admit it... but I enjoyed 2012 and it WAAAAAAAAYYYYY over top action. But these movies will be like "Where were you when the lights went out" and .... oh you know all of those low budget films that jump on this type of crap.... people stuck... flooding waters, lost dogs, pregannt women, perverts on the loose, throw in a hero taxi driver, a couple of milfs, some teenage runaways..... maybe a wanna acttress headed to Broadway....IF YOU CAN MAKE IT TEHRE!!!... hell that is IT! winking smiley

Hey Max, are you a Letterman fan? Here's a question: What if they taped a talk/variety show and nobody came? Well, this is a preview of what it would be like, tonight's Late Show with David Letterman taped today in an empty Ed Sullivan theatre:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 30, 2012 05:12

stonesnow

Hey Max, are you a Letterman fan? Here's a question: What if they taped a talk/variety show and nobody came? Well, this is a preview of what it would be like, tonight's Late Show with David Letterman taped today in an empty Ed Sullivan theatre:

I read where he taped with no audience.. it will probably help his ratings.. will have to check his show tonight... Denzel in on... and Paull Perrette too... thanks for the tip

Date: October 30, 2012 05:24

superrevvy
I guess this must be river water

No - it's the Atlantic Ocean!

Date: October 30, 2012 05:33

Max'sKansasCity
stonesnow

I read where he taped with no audience.. it will probably help his ratings.. will have to check his show tonight... Denzel in on... and Paull Perrette too... thanks for the tip

Hey, how come when I post the link it's just a link, yet when you copy my post it's a video frame? You think it has something to do with my browser? I started a YouTube account along with a g-mail address and then this started happening. Before the YT account, I used to be able to post video frames, rather than just links. I've since canceled my YT account and g-mail address, but will probably have to delete these programs and software from my computer. What do you think?

Date: October 30, 2012 11:51

superrevvy
The Associated Press

BREAKING: Con Edison says large sections of Manhattan
plunged into darkness by storm.

There's gonna be a baby boom in nine months !

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: October 30, 2012 13:01

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 30, 2012 16:44

superrevvy

And people swear this next pic is real and not photoshopped. jaws in a
NJ neighborhood. it must be photoshopped.

A friend of mine lives by Shark river N.J. (3 miles south of Asbury Park)...Bull sharks swim up there into the fresh water even when there's no storm, hence the name

But as that's probably sea water anyway it could be any type of shark no problem. When the Tsunami hit Indonesia before there were stranded sharks and other big fish found miles inland after the water receded...........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 16:46 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home