Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Where are you from?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 26, 2012 20:59

Rollin92
EddieByword
Swansea, South Wales. UK.

Which part of Swansea are you from? I'm from Neath (although its easier to say I'm from Swansea)

The salubrious Mayhill..lol......I used to live in Neath years ago, well just outside, Longford. Where are you in Neath?

Date: October 26, 2012 21:16

Naturalust
EddieByword
Naturalust
EddieByword

Just watched a documentary about that place. Good working class town with alot of kids on heroin. Quite disturbing actually, I hope things are getting better for the kids.

I'm from a town in Montana, you know, the river runs through it. peace

I don't think it's any worse than anywhere else, the authorities do seem to be adopting a policy of 'concentration' - pushing all the junkies to live togethor in designated areas around town - which makes those areas pretty daunting places to go if you're not into all that and when portrayed in a doc make it seem like that's all there is here. Social housing areas are the worst, private housing areas seem to not be touched much by drug abuse except when the junkies come around 'on the burgle'.
Don't mind me asking but how come you had a doc on Swansea out there?. If I was going to predict such a thing I would have said it would have been about Dylan Thomas not the local drug issues........

The documentary was on YouTube so somehow it made it into my cue, we Americans are always interested in the way people live and get by in the old country. I thought the place was pretty typical of industrial towns in america where the industry has changed or fled altogether.

I particularily liked the song about Swansea that the kids were singing rather patriotically. Even though their lives were a mess they loved the old place.

What is it you do there Eddie? A writer? Obviously a RS fan. Cheers to Swansea. peace

Yeah, it has got quite a lot going for it, except the weather, the town's ok for a midsize and it's got a good place on the coast, then inland you have a valley leading to the Black mountains so easy to get into the country too. I posted a photo of it for you a while back on a similar thread to this.
The kids' voices are in good form too now especially as the football team got promoted to the top division - The Premiership - drawing down the likes of Man. U & City, liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal.
I used to be a driving instructor 'til I got sick (Emphysema) - now early retired starving artist ...lol..........I do have one of my paintings of Dylan Thomas' Boathouse out your way, well, same State at least, Escondido near San Diego. A tourist bought it.
I was a big Stones fan, somethings happened to me since these prices were asked, I feel like a 'switch has been flipped'.(sic).......I may be coasting on residuals and vapour now, we'll see...................

If you haven't already seen it 'Twin Town' is based in Swansea. a black comedy about the yoot & justice system and the corruption therein.....it's not the best film in the world but does have it's moments............

I see these views almost everyday and walk along some part of that beach at 3/4 times aweek. Where the nurses pull their skirts up (1 min 10 secs) is about 300 yards from my house........also lived on the big dipper at the end in '81............

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 22:58 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:16

A place The Stones are always guaranteed to play: Boston.

Posted by: silver ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:22

Bilthoven near Utrecht Netherlands

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:46

About 10 miles up the road from the "concrete place in the middle of nowhere" in Texas where The Stones first met Dave Matthews.

Posted by: charlystone ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:52

VILLA GESELL, ARGENTINA !!

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:57

charlystone
VILLA GESELL, ARGENTINA !!

That looks really nice, I just Googled it.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 26, 2012 21:58

EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword

Which part of Swansea are you from? I'm from Neath (although its easier to say I'm from Swansea)

The salubrious Mayhill..lol......I used to live in Neath years ago, well just outside, Longford. Where are you in Neath?

I've got some happy memories of Swansea - I was there for three years at University in the early 70s. Had digs in Uplands, just around the corner from Dylan Thomas's house, and at weekends we'd all pile onto the bus to Mumbles or the Gower for a swim. Nice place - when it isn't raining that special extra-wet Welsh rain!

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:02

Portland, OR USA

lived in Phoenix, AZ USA for many years.

Date: October 26, 2012 22:10

Green Lady
EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword

I've got some happy memories of Swansea - I was there for three years at University in the early 70s. Had digs in Uplands, just around the corner from Dylan Thomas's house, and at weekends we'd all pile onto the bus to Mumbles or the Gower for a swim. Nice place - when it isn't raining that special extra-wet Welsh rain!

Cwmdonkin Drive............

Wow.......did you used to go to the Uplands Hotel, great place for bands in the back room and the Tenby Hotel on Walter's road? With scrumpy cider and straw on the floor.............I also used to live in Eaton Crescent in the Uplands and Sketty Road just past the junction with Glanmor road, also The Promenade in Mount pleasant.
I guess you knew Pandora's box nightclub down near the river.....loads of bands down there then, inc The sex pistols in '78. i saw a couple of bands in the Uni. but not til '79/'80 - I think Tom Verlaine was one and Paul McCartney played there too although I didn't bother with that............
I did a recreational course on cosmology in the Uni in '92.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 22:17 by EddieByword.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:19

stonesnow

Hey StonesNow Im 10 miles north of Boston In Woburn.

I like your quote except there was a 24 year period where they never actually played in Boston. After the 1975 shows at the Garden they did not play in the City until No security 1999.

They also went 14 years with out comming to the area , again after the 2 1975 boston shows they did not come to Foxboro until the 1989 Steel wheels tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 00:42 by virgil.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:27

EddieByword
Green Lady
EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword

Wow.......did you used to go to the Uplands Hotel, great place for bands in the back room and the Tenby Hotel on Walter's road? With scrumpy cider and straw on the floor.............I also used to live in Eaton Crescent in the Uplands and Sketty Road just past the junction with Glanmor road, also The Promenade in Mount pleasant.
I guess you knew Pandora's box nightclub down near the river.....loads of bands down their then, inc The sex pistols in '78. i saw acopule of bands in the UNi. but not til '79/'80 - I think Tom Verlaine was one and Paul McCartney played there too............

Sorry to disappoint you, but this was the very early 70s, pre-punk, and I was a folkie in those days, not a rocker - remember people like Martin Carthy & Joe Swarbrick playing at the Uni folk club. I'd temporarily deserted the Stones after Brian died, so that's what I was listening to when I should have been learning to worship Mick Taylor. Can't say I regret it - I've caught up with the Stones in the end.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:35

..Marseille ..south of France...

Posted by: cooheid ()
Date: October 26, 2012 22:46

west coast of soon to be independent Scotland

Date: October 26, 2012 22:52

Green Lady
EddieByword
Green Lady
EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword

I guess you knew Pandora's box nightclub down near the river.....loads of bands down their then, inc The sex pistols in '78. i saw acopule of bands in the UNi. but not til '79/'80 - I think Tom Verlaine was one and Paul McCartney played there too............

Sorry to disappoint you, but this was the very early 70s, pre-punk, and I was a folkie in those days, not a rocker - remember people like Martin Carthy & Joe Swarbrick playing at the Uni folk club. I'd temporarily deserted the Stones after Brian died, so that's what I was listening to when I should have been learning to worship Mick Taylor. Can't say I regret it - I've caught up with the Stones in the end.

Ah right, a different time from me then, I guess I started going to the Uplands Hotel & The Tenby about '75 which was actually still pre punk but it was hippy/rock rather than Folk there anyway. Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles Zeppelin and the Stones of course in that mix too.
The earliest thing I remember but didn't go to - although my elder sister did - was Xmas at the Patti.. Pavillion (Adelina Patti's gift to Swansea down on the Oystermouth Road) - 1971 with the Man Band and Flying aces and BJ Cole, I was only 11 but so jealous, she went to festivals like Watchet, Windsor, Bickershaw and the first Glastonbury...........I had to go to school.....eye rolling smiley....
A & M did bring out a great double 10" album of Xmas at the Patti though, which I've still got.
They're right about a small world......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-27 00:34 by EddieByword.

Date: October 26, 2012 23:01

There you go Greenlady, you might recognise some of this, especially from 2 mns 25 secs onwards.........Mumbles Pier at 5 mns 12 secs

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-26 23:12 by EddieByword.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 26, 2012 23:28

Born in Cuba,living in sunny Puerto Rico..La Isla Del Encanto..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 26, 2012 23:37

st. louis, misery

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 26, 2012 23:38

Down the road apiece about 2000 LYFEarth

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 26, 2012 23:39

Hell....a.k.a. Los Angeles

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 26, 2012 23:46

virgil
stonesnow

Hey StonesNow Im 10 miles north of Boston In Woburn.

I like your quote except there was a 24 year period where they never actually played in Boston. After the 1975 shows at the Garden they did not play in the City until No security 1999.

They also went 14 years with out coimg to the area , again after the 2 1975 boston shows they did not come to Foxboro until the 1989 Steel wheels tour.

Oh yes, that Foxboro football stadium place, which is way beyond my reach, as I don't drive. I've only been a fan since '81 and would never have dreamed of going to such stadium-type shows, so I'm not aware that they avoided this neck of the woods for so long.

I recall 2002 when they played The Orpheum in Boston, walking by outside seeing all the trucks and road crew there, hearing them commenting on how the opening show of that Licks Tour had been a good one as I passed by. It would have been a great venue, The Orpheum, to see them at, almost as good as a club in terms of small stage and intimate vibe and all that.

I recall when they played Fenway Park in 2005, but for some reason I did not go. While one of the Fenway shows were on I happened to be walking that evening across the Longfellow Bridge from Cambridge to Boston, and I paused midway while crossing the bridge to look across The Charles River at Fenway. You could see the stage design projecting over the walls of the ballpark, with flashes of light and smoke erupting at regular intervals. The stuffy upscale neighbors made the city see to it that The Stones kept their volume down for the shows, unlike for their soundcheck before the first show. Despite this, I could still hear strains of Satisfaction wafting in and out across the river to where I was, and I remember thinking that this was probably as close as I would ever get to experiencing a live concert by The Rolling Stones. After a few minutes, I turned and continued on my way back into Boston....

Hopefully, they will play right in Boston as they have on their last two tours, instead of way out in Foxboro, as I may go and see them, but not for $1,000. I'm seeing The Who next month at the TD Garden in the North End--that would be a great venue for The Stones as well, as it's like the Madison Square Garden of Boston. If not, then at least I got the faintest taste of a Stones concert from my passing glimpse of them back in 2005.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:05

The Big Sleazey

Posted by: AP ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:12

St.Petersburg Russia.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:13

EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword

Ah Mayhill I know, I lived in the Cimla, then Rhyddings (Bryncoch way) for a few years but when I'm not in Uni home is now Briton Ferry.

Posted by: charlystone ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:14

yes is great, and you where are you from?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:19

St.Petersburg Russia.

AP....ya haven't seen any guys hanging around looking for a change have ya???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: justamomentita ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:21

charlystone
yes is great, and you where are you from?

Well originally from the States, but am seriously homeless by choice from so much traveling.
Presently in Buenos Aires, and soon heading to the States for business.Then Europe, and then back to BsAs.
Enjoy the water,summer is a coming!!

Date: October 27, 2012 00:38

Rollin92
EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword

Ah Mayhill I know, I lived in the Cimla, then Rhyddings (Bryncoch way) for a few years but when I'm not in Uni home is now Briton Ferry.

I know all those, my parents live in Cimla Crescent, the Rhyddings, yep and I go across the B.Ferry bridge quite often going Port talbot..........I used to know a couple of people from the Melin but that was while back......hell of a while back actually, '76

Posted by: AP ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:39

Rockman
St.Petersburg Russia.

AP....ya haven't seen any guys hanging around looking for a change have ya???

Have been reading and enjoyng your posts for years buddy... Very cool. Hopefully will post more frequently here.

Cheers,
Alex

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 27, 2012 00:43

EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword
Rollin92
EddieByword

I know all those, my parents live in Cimla Crescent, the Rhyddings, yep and I go across the B.Ferry bridge quite often going Port talbot..........I used to know a couple of people from the Melin but that was while back......hell of a while back actually, '76

Small world innit, did you manage to get tickets to London?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home