Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Tongue Pit
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:14

gotdablouse
The pit was cool, terrific actually, very different from the Superbowl setup with its 8+ ft high edge.

Only the first 4 or 5 rows were dense, I was in the second row dead center after entering it around 20th I guess, and there was no pushing like at the Trabendo. The only tension was before the show when some guys were trying to move from row 3 to row 2 a bit to my left, which obviously resulted in everyone getting annoyed at them and of the security guys to tell them cool off as everyone there was fans of the same band. It worked! Starting at the 4th or 5th row there was a lot of elbow space it seems.

I agree that they seem to have gone overboard with the buffer between the A rows and the tongue, especially considering there is none between the back of the pit and the tongue (I think I saw bv in one of the vids right next to it).

Anyway here is the first view of the Tongue Pit I got yesterday after we were instructed to access it via BK103 (we exited via the side of the stage) :

gotdablouse, I have a question: the row and the seat you had on your ticket means something or not?? I read on another topic that if you are in row F you can't be front row. When you entered in the pit, could you go whenever you wanted?

Benjamin.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:25

It means nothing, in fact they took our tickets in exchange for a pink wristband (we could claim a stub after the show) so we were free to go wherever we liked inside the pit and out to the bathroom if need be, which you couldn't do if you were in the first few rows without losing your spot.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Barney ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:40

I've got a question about the Tongue Pit. At what time do you need to be there to get a good place inside? Any advice?

Date: November 27, 2012 10:42

gotdablouse
It means nothing, in fact they took our tickets in exchange for a pink wristband (we could claim a stub after the show) so we were free to go wherever we liked inside the pit and out to the bathroom if need be, which you couldn't do if you were in the first few rows without losing your spot.

Thank you GTBlues!
But IGTBA wrote this, what does it mean? It's weird right? He was in the PIT too.

"I had an A1, Row F, seat 9 location. It was actually in the second row from the tongue walkway rail (because of the curved tongue walkway), Ronnie's side and on my right there were no chairs in front. Security did prevent people from going to the rail, BUT ONLY UNTIL the gorilla drummers finished their part of the introduction, since they walked along the rail. As soon as the first song started, all the people in the front row went to the rail - and they stayed there without any comments from security for the entire concert. I stepped to my right and went forward to just off the rail for the entire concert - and could have gone to the rail if I had wanted to squeeze between people, but I was very comfortable standing just behind them. I think there were a few people, with seats farther back, who also came up along side and behind me, but it did not feel crowded - and women were actively dancing within a few feet of me during most of the concert. The view of the main stage was great from here. So I do not understand SonicDreamers major concern about about his original location opposite mine. I was very happy with my location."

Benjamin.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 27, 2012 10:46

benstones
gotdablouse

Thank you GTBlues!
But IGTBA wrote this, what does it mean? It's weird right? He was in the PIT too.

"I had an A1, Row F, seat 9 location. It was actually in the second row from the tongue walkway rail (because of the curved tongue walkway), Ronnie's side and on my right there were no chairs in front. Security did prevent people from going to the rail, BUT ONLY UNTIL the gorilla drummers finished their part of the introduction, since they walked along the rail. As soon as the first song started, all the people in the front row went to the rail - and they stayed there without any comments from security for the entire concert. I stepped to my right and went forward to just off the rail for the entire concert - and could have gone to the rail if I had wanted to squeeze between people, but I was very comfortable standing just behind them. I think there were a few people, with seats farther back, who also came up along side and behind me, but it did not feel crowded - and women were actively dancing within a few feet of me during most of the concert. The view of the main stage was great from here. So I do not understand SonicDreamers major concern about about his original location opposite mine. I was very happy with my location."
we had row F two just two seats left from you. The spot was very good and you had enough space. We didn't try the rail as I wasn't sure they would tell you off. But I agree it was very relaxed.

Date: November 27, 2012 10:47

Not that early really, I started queuing up at 6.15 I think (check the time on that picture in my feed linked below) and I was about the 20th to get in with some VIP package people in already. I ended up dead center in the second row. I must have gained a few spots from the line when I ran up the two flights of stairs instead of taking the escalators though...and lost one or two when I stopped in 103 to take the picture of the stage for the feed ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 27, 2012 11:00

Grison
benstones
gotdablouse

Thank you GTBlues!

we had row F two just two seats left from you. The spot was very good and you had enough space. We didn't try the rail as I wasn't sure they would tell you off. But I agree it was very relaxed.

Grison, you had row F, but you didnt respect the row at all so? Like GTBlues said, you can go wherever you want?

Benjamin.

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:10

There is no barrier between the walkway and the standing section. DO not try and get near the front, stay towards the back against the side of the walkway. You will never get closer to the Rolling Stones, you will be just two or three feet away from them, literally at arms reach. The stage is below head height at the back and your can even rest your arms on it providing you aren't immediately adjacent to the many security guards they place around it.

Be prepared for some snobbery from people wprth a few quid however. I had someone try to pull my arm down just because they wanted to get a photo.

There were also some pathetic Z-list celebrities in there, Bob Geldof the only slapped arse face I recognised, but there was a few people asking to get the photos taken. There weren't many hands in the air and the atmsphere was extraordinarily reserved. I hope Thursday is better for anyone going.

If you are wondering whether to get pit tickets or not, absolutely do it at whatever price you can afford. You will never be closer to the band at a Rolling Stones concert.

Date: November 27, 2012 11:22

I stuck to my row 2 in the front but it was fascinating to see people with their elbows on the tip of the tongue for sure, so there was no security on the inside there? A good thing no one tried anything foolish. You are obviously very close there but they didn't spend as much time there as I thought they did. In fact if you prorate the Superbowl playing time I'd say it was about the same. And Mick Taylor didn't venture on it.

Did you move around the pit during he show ?

@bentstones - what you quote is from someone in A1, that is NOT the pit, the pit is GA standing unreserved seating and only people in there get a wristband.

--------------

Date: November 27, 2012 11:28

benstones

Grison, you had row F, but you didnt respect the row at all so? Like GTBlues said, you can go wherever you want?
well we moved forward to the right and actually we just stayed only 3 feet or less away from the rail, but still in the row. My wife saw that the poeple move forward, but didn't trust. We had an excellent view. They was a taller guy in front of us JumpinJeppeFlash in front of us, but it was fine.
I think they did let the people go as long as there is no pushing. Some even went out for a beer and came back. No stress at all. As we both are not tall the seats were just right. I am a bit concerned about the Pit, however if people are friendly they let my wife go to the front. I think there is a little more respect for others nowadays. I was in the first row since 1976 in about 20 concerts and acutally there was more pushing between the 10th and 20th row then on the front. But it can get squeezed

Posted by: TomGreen ()
Date: November 27, 2012 11:28

We moved around lights but only towards the very back and left (as you look at the stage).

There was a security guy every few yards with their backs to the stage. I was stood next to one at one point and he asked me to take my arms off the stage but if you aren't next to one you can get away with it.

You're right that they don't wlak past continuously, but the occasional moments of being within touching distance are worth it to me. Standing at the front, even on the front rail, does not match it for me, but everyone is different.

The pit is spacious towards the back and it is quite easy to move around in the rear third of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 11:42 by TomGreen.

Date: November 27, 2012 11:49

Ah ok it didn't seem likely there would no security in the back, it's nice there was no railing though that would have eaten up precious space.

The view from the center in the second row was extraordinary as can be seen from my photo feed, much better than at Trabendo really where we were so close that it was hard to look at anything else than Mick. We had a sweeping view on the whole stage. It was also fascinating to hear the actual chords getting strummed when Mick was at the front with his guitar or when Keith got his spot.

No bad spot in the pit for sure and I'd even say that starting in maybe the fifth row there was a lot of elbow room.

--------------

Posted by: hitti ()
Date: November 27, 2012 12:18

Hi guys,

count me in for the Pit, I'm the guy beside latvianinexile :-), wearing my darkblue JJF-T-shirt, as I do since 2003.

Hitti

hitti

You've got the sun, the moon and you've got the Rolling Stones

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:16

gotdablouse
Ah ok it didn't seem likely there would no security in the back, it's nice there was no railing though that would have eaten up precious space.

The view from the center in the second row was extraordinary as can be seen from my photo feed, much better than at Trabendo really where we were so close that it was hard to look at anything else than Mick. We had a sweeping view on the whole stage. It was also fascinating to hear the actual chords getting strummed when Mick was at the front with his guitar or when Keith got his spot.

No bad spot in the pit for sure and I'd even say that starting in maybe the fifth row there was a lot of elbow room.

Hi Gotdablouse,

I saw your great images from the pit. There was one with me on it (photo 36 in your Google feed).
Do you have some more later on in the show, with the people in block 113 on it?
Later on I'll post mine, got some good ones with lots of Pit-people.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:43

gotdablouse
Not that early really, I started queuing up at 6.15 I think (check the time on that picture in my feed linked below) and I was about the 20th to get in with some VIP package people in already.

I doubt that VIP very let in earlier. I was about the first one to enter the PIT. Unbelievable!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 13:45 by Stoneswolf.

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:53

Barney
At what time do you need to be there to get a good place inside? Any advice?

Might be different next time, but 1 hour before opening there was no quue yet in front of the entrance. They have four doors (Section cool smiley to get to the PIT area. Just quue at the door with less people queing. You should get a whristband at the entrance. I dind't get the whristband at the entracne, perhaps the guy at the enctrance did not know or I was just running too fast when I was let it. No problem here, when entering the PIT security told me I am missing the wristband. They told me to find my place inside the (still emptied) Pit and brought me the whristband to my place five minutes later! Just F U C K I N G G R R R E A T !!!

I have never been middle front row at a Stones concert before althought I used to quue for hours to get a good place!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 13:55 by Stoneswolf.

Posted by: ladywilliam ()
Date: November 27, 2012 13:57

No, VIP people couldn't get in earlier on Sunday. The doors for VIP opened almost same time or even later than we entered.
Some VIP people were complaining as they believed that their early entrey was guranteed. Something went wrong. They didn't have dinner and just were waiting for the doors open. I was very sorry for them.

Posted by: hitti ()
Date: November 27, 2012 14:11

25/11 :
- gotdablouse
- straycatuk
- Flairville
- bv
- tonym
- Beast
- Kahoosier
- erikjjf
- KentishMen
- TomGreen (+1)
- latvianinexile
- Tropical_Disease

29/11 :
- straycatuk
- Flairville
- chriseganstar (chris and pam)
- bv
- tonym
- latvianinexile
- grison and wife
- hitti

hitti

You've got the sun, the moon and you've got the Rolling Stones

Date: November 27, 2012 14:19

Thanks for the updated list, I think I need to see my name on there at some point...

ladywilliam
No, VIP people couldn't get in earlier on Sunday. The doors for VIP opened almost same time or even later than we entered.
Some VIP people were complaining as they believed that their early entrey was guranteed. Something went wrong. They didn't have dinner and just were waiting for the doors open. I was very sorry for them.

Are you sure ? There were indeed people in a so-called "fast track" or something like that to our right, but I wonder if they were the Mark Butler package, based on what Grison posted here [www.iorr.org] they'd been let in a lot earlier and had time for dinner.

I checked the timestamp on my picture when walking down the stairs of 103 to go to the pit [plus.google.com] and it was 6.45 and I must have been number 20 in there.

@shattered1978 - thanks for the kind words on the pics, I have a lot of better ones taken with my Sony actually, need to sort them. I don't think you're on #36 because I can only see the security guys on there : [plus.google.com] ? Looking forward to seeing your pics.

@Stoneswolf - great story, I talked with a guy from Canada after the show who actually had to go back to the doors to get a wristband, he wasn't too fussed about being in the front though. Were you against the rail? Yeah it's pretty unbelievable to think we were so close, what's terribly though is that you get friggin' used to it, as it almost felt like nothing special after being in the same spot at the Trabendo a month ago where it felt mind-boggling at the time!

By the way I've only seen one picture so far showing the front of the pit, maybe some of you can spot yourself, I can't so I'm not exactly sure what part it is. What's strange is that I did not see Mick's bodygard during the show and he's right on the left here. I had Keith's bodyguard just in front of me.

--------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 14:30 by gotdablouse.

Date: November 27, 2012 14:46

@gotdablouse

Yes, I am very sure!!
I was almost the first one to enter the pit. There was no one, but I saw some people entered from the otherside (keithside) at the same time. I assumed that they were VIP package people, but I wanted to make sure, so I asked them.

They are Japanese, a group of 20 or so? They really wanted to be in the centre front, so they didn't have dinner and waited at the door. But other non-Japanse people were more relaxed and they were having dinner and enjoyed whole atomasphere as Grison's post - that's they told me.

Some people entered from Entrance C around 5;00pm. That is for the O2 customers who registered. But it is for the O2 bar, they cannot get into the pit or seats till the doors open.

The Fast truck, which you saw next to our entrance is for the O2 customers too. But if they have pit tickets, they need to get wristbands anyway, so should be in a queue with us.

Posted by: tonym ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:12

Don't know if this has been covered but if you want your ticket back after being in the pit take the exit to the left as you face the stage - that's what we did and someone was handing them out. I got given one that had a row of X's on it instead of the price booking fees etc - obviously a lucky person's freebie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 15:14 by tonym.

Date: November 27, 2012 15:21

tonym
Don't know if this has been covered but if you want your ticket back after being in the pit take the exit to the left as you face the stage - that's what we did and someone was handing them out. I got given one that had a row of X's on it instead of the price booking fees etc - obviously a lucky person's freebie!
No, those ones were the ones of Mark Butler VIP. There was no pricing on the ticket last Sunday on ours as well.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: November 27, 2012 15:38

Gotdablouse,

Yes, I am on that picture; one of the few stitting in block 113, right side of the stage.
We got quite some attention from Mick dancing in front of our block, I would love to see some images of that!

I have some very nice shots in the other direction: from block 113 to the pit, with Mick/Keith/Ronnie playing in front of you.

I have to sort them and will post them asap.

Date: November 27, 2012 16:14

Cool, and I got it for, so you're on the side of 113 with a tongue t-shirt, here's one I took with my other camera :

@ladywilliam - makes sense, so where you queuing up in front of stoneswolf, there were two lines weren't there. Where were you during the show, against the railing?

--------------

Date: November 27, 2012 17:32

@gotdablouse

Thanks for the pic. I was in front of the man wearing kind of tartan shirts.

There was only 1 door for the pit, but there were 2 lines divided by a desk.

Date: November 27, 2012 17:55

Ah ok, it's too bad there isn't some kind of IORR badge that can be printed so people can from the forums can say hi ;-) I think there was a t-shirt at some point based on posts I've seen.

As for the lines, did they merge before or after the desk? Can't remember for sure now...so you're not worried about going back on Thursday with a floor ticket instead of that best possible spot on Sunday ? ;-)

--------------

Date: November 27, 2012 18:45

@gotdablouse

I don't know if they merged the lines or not.
There were 1 security for the bags, 1 for the tickets and 1 for the wristband for each queue. But I guess that they were mixed up after few people.

I was very lucky and happy to be at the front. On Thursday I will enjoy different view, dancing hard and listening to the crowd screaming, and buying T-shirts which I couldn't do on Sunday. But you never know, if I find a pit ticket, I may take it.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 27, 2012 19:07

I was at the rail at the bottom left corner of the picture, just out of shot. Sorry to have missed you @gotdablouse and @ladywilliam. Should have worn my IORR t-shirt! A bunch of us IORR regulars and lurkers were right there. I also skipped the Pilot Inn in a last-minute change of plan in favour of a chance at the rail. I have been getting a stream of calls and e-mails from friends who spotted me on the news footage of the concert shown on various TV channels. Nothing will ever beat that unforgettable Sunday night at the front there. The view was just stupendous. I have a good seat in 112 on Thursday but would give it up in a heartbeat to be in the pit again.

Date: November 27, 2012 19:22

Well my T-shirt is black and says in color: LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO DANCE
Normally I am the guy with the red t-shirt swiss flag. I changed for a reason I don't know eye rolling smiley

Date: November 27, 2012 19:41

So you're a dancer, eh ? ;-)

@beast - yes that's too bad, we were really close by, did you have a guy with a beard just to your left, he was in front of me just to the right. I've posted some of my MT pictures here, they should look familiar : [www.iorr.org]

I need to decide by tomprrow morning if I'm giving it...one more shot !

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-27 19:41 by gotdablouse.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home