Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Could Bill Wyman's retirement been a cover story?
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 23, 2012 02:51

Could child protection laws in the United States and other countries have prevented Bill Wyman from traveling overseas and touring with the Stones after 1989...and be the real explanation for his retirement? (Haven't the Rhythm Kings only toured the UK and certain European countries?)

He left the band right as his marriage to Mandy ended and all of the facts of their relationship came to light. Even though he was the oldest member, I never got the impression he disliked touring. Having read Stone Alone, my impression is quite the opposite.

Hmmmm....

Re: Could Bill Wyman's retirement been a cover story?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2012 02:53

The world isn't that organized.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2012 02:56

Hes travelled overseas countless times since he left the band. Flying is the issue, as well as having 'done it all' as a Stone and wanting to move on.

He was never charged with having sex with a minor - as at the time the story was investigated in the mid 80s, neither party admitted it had taken place.

His marriage ended during the Steel wheels tour - he didnt leave the band until two years afterwards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 02:57 by Gazza.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 23, 2012 03:00

Bill Wyman wanted to leave the Stones for a long time. After the great success of the SW/UJ tour he was rich enough to do so. He had an affair with a very young woman, nothing is known about an affair with a child.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 23, 2012 03:43

There is no way he could have moved on to such great opportunities as hocking metal detectors if he had stayed in the Stones. After all, recording, rehearsing, and touring with the Stones must have added up to something like 5% of his waking hours.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2012 04:56

windmelody
Bill Wyman wanted to leave the Stones for a long time. After the great success of the SW/UJ tour he was rich enough to do so. He had an affair with a very young woman, nothing is known about an affair with a child.

Yep. Bill was talking as far back as 1982 that he was going to retire from the Stones in two years.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 23, 2012 06:10

They asked him to leave because they finally replaced his 2 1962 amps he brought to the partydrinking smiley I wonder where they are today!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 23, 2012 06:15

Oasis is using them

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 23, 2012 07:48

Munichhilton
Oasis is using them

I thought Brian May did. Doesn't he own every AC-30 in Britain?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 09:20 by tomk.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 23, 2012 11:50

I think the whole story was a cover up.She was only 13 when the affair started.Got a Stones tour shirt which says 'the Stones withstand under age sex' etc,anybody remember that official shirt?
If all this crap had happened today it would have finished the band.The tabloids are very selective who they expose and destroy.Some how Bill got away with the scandel.Maybe good lawyers,connnections,payouts,and finally a marriage helped.Who knows what the official reason was.

Date: October 23, 2012 11:52

Gazza
windmelody

Yep. Bill was talking as far back as 1982 that he was going to retire from the Stones in two years.

Then he got the warden-role in Rewind, and came to better thoughts...

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 23, 2012 12:21

Would be great to be a fly on the wall when Mick & Charlie went to his house to try and covince him to change his mind. Wonder how the conversation went...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 23, 2012 12:29

"Come on Bill, we'll up your percentage in your equal partnership to 0.05% from 0.01%, you can't say no to that surely" ?

Seriously, reading Norman's book I was a bit shocked to find out that Bill and Charlie were getting nowhere close to the so-called "equal" share that was always said they were getting.

On the other hand Ronnie often said after he became a "junior partner" in 1993 that this is when the Stones started making big money so he must have been getting a decent percentage...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 23, 2012 13:21

You have a good point Punkfloyd. Has he even been in the States after 1989? I'm petty sure he had some kind of business or ownership in the USA. a 13 year old is a child in the USA.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: October 23, 2012 18:00

I always felt that Bill "dating" a 13 year old girl, and then justifying it in his book, was evidience of larger problem.

I also think it directly had everything to do with his Stones "retirement" or his politely being asked to leave.

A multimillion (billion?) business cannot have a pedophile involved in it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 23, 2012 18:12

brownsugar86
Would be great to be a fly on the wall when Mick & Charlie went to his house to try and covince him to change his mind. Wonder how the conversation went...

"Well, I know the last time Charlie and I showed up at a Rolling Stone's house to discuss their future in the band, things didn't turn out so well...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 18:13 by 24FPS.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 23, 2012 18:13

How old was McKenzie Philips when Jagger "nailed" her?

Was she the only one?

Date: October 23, 2012 18:44

SweetThing

Was she the only one?

Jimmy Page had a 14 year old (Lori Maddox)

[www.stryder.de]

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: October 23, 2012 19:00

I saw the Rhythm Kings in Milwaukee in 2001, so Bill was not only in the States but, apparently, not nervous about flying at that time--though I suppose he could've taken the boat over. A great show, by the way. Wish there were more.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: October 23, 2012 19:16

He also came to the USA for the promotion of his book 'Rolling With The Stones' and even did a couple of talk shows (Ellen Degeneres, I think...)

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 23, 2012 19:19

Interesting discussion. Aside from the legal issues, maybe the band did decide it was in their financial interests to show him the door. They didn't give him crap about opening Sticky Fingers.

Date: October 23, 2012 20:12

punkfloyd
Interesting discussion. Aside from the legal issues, maybe the band did decide it was in their financial interests to show him the door. They didn't give him crap about opening Sticky Fingers.

If that is true, then is it a vote? We sometimes talk about who is the partners or who is the directors of the Stones. I don't think Ronnie would have any say as to get rid of Bill since I don't think he is a director, so I guess it would be only Charlie, Keith and Mick. Charlie was/is very good friends with him, so I would assume he would vote stay. Therefore, I assume if this did happen, it would have to be Keith and Mick who voted him out! On the other hand, since there was no criminal charges and no proof he was a pedophile, maybe he did just leave on his own.

BTW, can Keith and Charlie vote Mick out or any other combination?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 23, 2012 20:21

In modern society, there is something wrong with a grown man wanting to have a 13 year old girl friend. I can barely stand conversing with most ditzy 20-25 year old girls, let alone dealing with a child.

I need a lover who wont drive me crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 20:31 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 23, 2012 20:29

This discussion is insane, Wyman was not thrilled by the Stones, even in the seventies he did feel completely comfortable in the band. Why should the Stones fire someone because of an affair that provokes some people? I am sure that Jagger and Richards had their fun, listen to Stray Cat Blues and So Young. By the way, Mandy got millions. I am not defending what Wyman did, but his guilt has not been proven, so he has to be considered innocent.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 23, 2012 20:38

Not a cover story... Remember, shortly before Bill left, he made sure that Ronnie was made a partner as opposed to an employee. Someone who is being pushed out and fired wouldn't have had the authority to make that kind of demand of the people who were firing him.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: October 23, 2012 20:52

i am sure this was not a cover story but on the other hand i always felt that Bill married Mandy as a way of cleaning up his act.
After all, the actual marriage lasted nothing....

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 23, 2012 20:53

There's a part in the interview below, now apparently missing from Youtube, where Bill Wyman discusses the offer(s) he has had from the Stones, in the past, to return, for some big bucks.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 23, 2012 23:20

i felt the marriage by bill to mandy smith was a charade to deflect from the problems he could have faced, ive always wondered if bill leaving the band was due to this.

now that i have a daughter at 14, and im 5 years younger than bill was when mandy smith was 14, it does make me cringe at why someone like bill would want to be around someone like her.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 23, 2012 23:27

SweetThing

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 23, 2012 23:31

daniel t
He also came to the USA for the promotion of his book 'Rolling With The Stones' and even did a couple of talk shows (Ellen Degeneres, I think...)

Didn't he live in California with his present wife and family as well?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home