Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Luxury
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 22, 2012 18:56

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
best faux reggae rock song of 1974

why you say that faux?

it ain't reggae. if that's reggae, then moon river is heavy metal...or something.

eau faux fox saik.

no politics on this fauxum, please...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 22:08

StonesTod
treaclefingers

why you say that faux?

it ain't reggae. if that's reggae, then moon river is heavy metal...or something.

Uptempo stuff with a reggae type rhythm would more likely be called "ska," anyway. I read a comment that ska audiences will gladly hear a pure reggae song thrown in at a ska concert, "but a reggae crowd would run to the hills if—heaven forbid—a reggae band started playing ska." I wonder how a purist reggae audience would react if a reggae band started playing LUXURY as the Stones play it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 22, 2012 23:27

StonesTod
Mathijs
Title5Take1
I don't know how this song came about: however, it's a rock song, but Mick sings it with a Jamaican accent, which leads me to suspect it started out as a reggae song like START ME UP.

Er, it IS reggae. Albeit with a overdriven guitar sound.

Mathijs

no.

Yes. It's not 'pure' or traditional reggae, but it is reggae. Drums put the accent on the third, second rhythm guitar put accents on the off-beat, hence raggae. Main guitar could be anything, downright rock, or with the rhtyhm section as it is, more like ska, with accents on all beats of the bar.

Mathijs

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: October 22, 2012 23:59

Of course it´s reggae, and damn good it is too!thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2012 00:16

Mathijs
StonesTod
Mathijs
Title5Take1
I don't know how this song came about: however, it's a rock song, but Mick sings it with a Jamaican accent, which leads me to suspect it started out as a reggae song like START ME UP.

Er, it IS reggae. Albeit with a overdriven guitar sound.

Mathijs

no.

Yes. It's not 'pure' or traditional reggae, but it is reggae. Drums put the accent on the third, second rhythm guitar put accents on the off-beat, hence raggae. Main guitar could be anything, downright rock, or with the rhtyhm section as it is, more like ska, with accents on all beats of the bar.

Mathijs

too many qualifiers there.

the answer remains: no. sorry.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2012 00:32

Title5Take1
StonesTod
treaclefingers

why you say that faux?

Uptempo stuff with a reggae type rhythm would more likely be called "ska," anyway. I read a comment that ska audiences will gladly hear a pure reggae song thrown in at a ska concert, "but a reggae crowd would run to the hills if—heaven forbid—a reggae band started playing ska." I wonder how a purist reggae audience would react if a reggae band started playing LUXURY as the Stones play it.

In a moment of sheer irony, they would wonder, while the band was playing LUXURY, how they had afforded tickets this close to the stage at a Stones concert.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 23, 2012 01:09

StonesTod
treaclefingers

why you say that faux?

Date: October 23, 2012 01:29

ok, then....it's reggae

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 23, 2012 01:38

It's none of those things. It's THIS:

And it's THAT:

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 23, 2012 01:48

Never like that song, always found it boring with a nondescript vocal, sounds like a (bad) outtake...and I LOVE outtakes. They should have put "Living is a Harder Love" (aka Living in the Heart of Love)" on IORR instead.

As for "I got a letter" I've never heard it coming from the GHS sessions, but from Rotterdam 1975. I think both the instrumental and vocal version are to be found on the excellent "Static in the Attic".

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 23, 2012 02:21

NICOS
StonesTod
treaclefingers

why you say that faux?

thats a great version!

here's REM...saw them do Moon River once at a show...

Date: October 23, 2012 02:26

and a-course ol' zimmy did it the day after srv died as a tribute to him....very touching....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 23, 2012 02:26

It's a good B-side.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 23, 2012 03:03

Like it. Always liked it. Played it in the band.
One of the very few good attempts at Stones'reggae.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 23, 2012 03:30

harder harder.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 23, 2012 10:53

Luxury Great Song from the Album It's only Rock'n Roll as well;

Till the next goodbye
Time waits for no one
Fingerprint File

Sound Engineers Andy Johns, Keith Harwood
George Chkiantz over-dub engineer, at the instigation of Brian Jones he had engineered the tapes recorded in 1968 of the Marakesh Gnaoua'n musicians and he had also assisted on the 1969 Let It Bleed album.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 23, 2012 11:48

Always loved how the guitars sound on this one. What effects do you think were used to process Keith's guitar?

C

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 23, 2012 14:18

This song has never been a favourite, but I've started to appreciate it. I guess it's the kind of Stones tune you get into after you've played Exile and even Goats Head Soup to death and almost desperately search for more satisfaction.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 23, 2012 17:07

No its just you. I liked it from the start . ,

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 23, 2012 17:57

Always liked this track, glittering, glimmering and shining guitar tone, fine melody, although maybe one of the weaker contributions to IORR which is one of the most underrated albums of all time. At the moment my fav album of the band besides LA Friday.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 17:59 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 23, 2012 18:24

"One of the weaker on It's Only R'n'R" = dull among the dull. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 23, 2012 18:33

StonesTod
and a-course ol' zimmy did it the day after srv died as a tribute to him....very touching....

didn't know that

thanks ST

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 06:23

one of the signs that they'd just basically given up on being relevant or important and were just trying to make records.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 06:36

I love this song. It always interests me that it attracts such differing opinions among Stones fans. The drums are clunky, Mick is an outrage, but Keith grooves like a mofo. One of my favorite tracks of the 70's.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 06:44

TeddyB1018
I love this song. It always interests me that it attracts such differing opinions among Stones fans. The drums are clunky, Mick is an outrage, but Keith grooves like a mofo. One of my favorite tracks of the 70's.

it's ok to love the song, but do you respect it?

Posted by: soulrob ()
Date: August 17, 2015 07:12

What gig?

Posted by: soulrob ()
Date: August 17, 2015 07:13

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
One of the highlights of rather lame IT's ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL for me (with the title track and "Time Waits For No One"). And actually the only track in the album that sounds fresh, and not (more or less) forced and tired as teh others do (with two mentioned songs that suits to the feeling of the songs)

Yeah, it is their first try to use reggae templete (the rhythm), but like Mathijs noted, the "overdriven guitarsound" and seemingly too-heavy handed guitar work (and Charlie's back beat) over-all, hides rather well its original attempt. Rastamen surely would not be pleased... No problem, the result sounds original and actually rather unique piece of music. I can't imagine any other song by anyone being close to it.

Jagger's fresh and positive sounding vocals always make a smile to my face - even though don't know if the lyrical content is sarcastic or not - and the simple reggae-influenced melody is catchy as hell.

- Doxa

On album, you mean? I Got A Letter was written during the GHS-sessions. Can't find that version with Keith on vocals now, though:

Dandy - where does I Got A Letter come from - which album of outtakes. How many Goat's Head Soup outtakes are there?

The only version of I Got A Letter I had heard, prior to discovering this one, was from the GHS-sessions - with Keith on vocals. I don't have detailed knowledge about how many GHS-outtakes there are, unfortunately.

This version is supposed to be from the SG-sessions, but some sites claim it's from the Black And Blue-sessions. The use of phaser leads me to believe it's from Paris 77, though.

So Dandy, we meeting up for that beer next month? Did you get a ticket? I'm struggling with my consicence on whether to blow the budget for the month and get a ticket for £500-£600, however bad it is. It would simply be a sin to miss the gig.

Absolutely! I'll be there for the gig on the 25th, and I've heard the Pilot Inn in the Greenwich area is the place where a lot of IORRians are meeting up.

What gig????

Date: August 17, 2015 08:32

<What gig?>

O2 I, 2012.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 10:07

While I think the decline in songwriting post 1973 is mainly due to Mick’s weak lyrics, here they’re quite clever. And he had become such a parody of himself by this time that he ironically is able to achieve a level of sincerity in a Jamaican accent that is absent in most of the other tracks. Ultimately though, no matter how skillful his performance is, the Jamaican working stiff persona is overshadowed by the Mick effin Jagger persona, which becomes a problem I think in the 70s, so this song will always be nothing more than a pleasant curiosity. (By the way, somebody in the organization should really encourage Mick to re-release ‘Let’s Work’ with a Jamaican accent and a reggae beat. It would be a smash.)

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 17, 2015 15:36

The greatest Stones song ever. I could listen to it a zillion times in a row. It is a shame they don't play it live.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home