Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Jefferson Starship last night
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 20, 2012 18:57

It's a shame that a lot of people hear the name Jefferson Starship today and associate them with Starship. Jefferson Airplane was awesome, Jefferson Starship had many good/great moments, Starship sucked. Paul Kantner was never in Starship, in fact the only Jefferson Airplane member who was was Grace, who said later she basically just did it so she could have a few big hits and make some serious money before she retired. As someone on this thread pointed out, Jefferson Starship today is basically Jefferson Airplane for the 21st century, they play mostly Jefferson Airplane songs, a few Jefferson Starship songs, and NO Starship.

Date: January 24, 2014 13:28

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I saw Jefferson Starship last night at the Borderline here in London. One of the more intimate venues around town which thankfully remains open for business and has a capacity of approx 250 people.
Unfortunately, Paul Kantner was back in San Francisco as ill health had prevented him from coming on this tour. However, it was a great night and a welcome slice of California on a cold January evening. They featured tracks from Dragon Fly and Red Octopus. David Freiberg was in fine voice but Cathy Richardson was quite superb and her renditions of 'White Rabbit' and 'Somebody to Love' were exceptional. The encore was Imagine/Redemption Song.
They are playing a further 8 dates in the UK and then in March/April are touring the USA. [www.jeffersonstarshipsf.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 24, 2014 15:09

I think if I went to this concert and Paul Kantner was not there it would be a let down (unless I knew he wouldnt be there, but I probably would go if that was the deal). At what point is it a just cover band?

But thank you for the report, I am glad you had a good time... and I sure hope Paul is doing well with his health. He is geting up there, then again I guess we all are.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 24, 2014 15:21

Seventy-Two and smokes like a chimney. Always has, unfortunately.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 24, 2014 18:03

DandelionPowderman
tatters
DandelionPowderman
We Built This City - encore?

You're thinking of Starship with Mickey Thomas. Jefferson Starship is more like a Jefferson Airplane of the 21st Century thing. I've seen them. They're good. Older than dirt, but good.

Yeah, but I thought the line up was pretty much the same (with some exceptions) in all those eras (JA, JS and S)?

No different to The Stones..
They used to have Keith Richards and Ron Wood and Bill Wyman playing guitars..

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: January 25, 2014 05:17

Saw Jefferson Starship at Radio City in '75 and in Central Park in '76, Grace and Marty, can't beat that with a baseball bat. Went to see the Jefferson Airplane reunion at Radio City in '89 and it redefined painful, the only time I wasn't cringing was after their intermission (!!!!), Jack and Jorma came out and did a little acoustic Hot Tuna bit that was magic, but the rest of it...Grace is painting these days, has gallery shows, but she has to do something about her hair.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2014 05:42

Just when I thought we were safe...

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 25, 2014 09:56

Kantner looks like a typical 70s guy on that pic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-25 10:00 by noughties.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home