Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Twenty years ago (Munich 2003)...
Posted by: DocChill ()
Date: June 4, 2023 16:25

...on today, exactly twenty years ago, we (@NedKellyBandit & me) went to the greatest rock'n'roll experience in our life... nearly one week together with the Rolling Stones and their fans in Munich at the "Olympichall" (June 4, 2003), "Olympicstadium" (June 6, 2003) and "Circus Krone" (June 8, 2003). For us a week, when our rock'n'roll dreams came true drinking smiley!!!

I really, really think about this week very often! My emotion says, that we saw a couple of the best rolling-stones-shows ever...

video: [www.youtube.com]

Currently I hope to see "our boys" again - maybe in 2024 playing their upcoming new album live cool smiley?!

What do you think about these special-gigs in Munich? Who was also there?

Please share your memories smileys with beer !!!

Stony-greetins from Germany,
cheers, Daniel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 10:09 by bv.

Re: TODAY - Twenty years ago (Munich 2003)...
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 4, 2023 20:17

Today 20 years ago 4th of June 2003, my pinnacle concert week of all times with The Rolling Stones started with the concert in Olympiahalle Munich. (concert details [rocksoff.org])

Date: June 4, 2023 20:18

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 4, 2023 23:28

I did the whole week also. Was a lot of fun checking the newspapers front page every day to see The Stones. Fans were verywhere and it was a big party. The whole thing led up to Circus Krone that I didn't have tix for. Finally the day before I met someone that had info that led me to the extras. My friend and I were so nervous about losing the wristband and ticket that we went back to the hotel often to check on them, haha. And then the big day came and for the first and only time I got to see a club gig. Afterwards I was so excited I forgot we were in Munich when someone asked where we were at. And then it was back to the fan party. What a time.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 5, 2023 00:09

Mick’s bicep in the first picture! Straight-up jacked!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2023 00:13

....dont remember it .... mustn't have been there ....

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-05 00:21 by Rockman.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: June 5, 2023 00:19

I saw all the 3 shows as well, and Circus Krone is the best show (and hottest!) I ever seen of the 71 shows I have attended so far.

Per Arne

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 5, 2023 00:39

Just like Per-Arne, I saw all three concerts and yes, (I don't want you to think I scored better with 80 shows, it's just a figure) Cirkus Krone was indeed the hottest and most impressive concert of all the great and memorable concerts of the Rolling Stones I did experience.
I never felt so exhausted after any event as after the Circus Krone concert of June 8 2003.

I hope Berlin, Waltbuhne of 2022 will not be the last one. I still have plenty of energy to share some more time with the Stones anywhere in the world smileys with beer
Give it another go, guys!

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

TODAY - Twenty years ago (Munich 2003)...
Posted by: DocChill ()
Date: June 5, 2023 08:53

Good Morning Stones-friends,

it's really cool to read all these great stories about this fantastic week in June 2003... here are some additional "licks" around "Circus Krone":

I've found these photos many years ago on "www.rolling-stones-fan.de".

It would be great, if we could read more stories or see more pics when possible smileys with beer !!!

Have a good start into the week -
cheers, Daniel

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 5, 2023 10:18

Thanks Daniel for those memorable photos! I even "see" myself on the hazy photo on the right talking to three guys. So I can finally proof to my wife that I was there during that fantastic week grinning smileycool smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: June 5, 2023 20:39

I was there for 3 Shows with Fan Asylum. What a week!! I think I can see myself in the hazy Cirkus Krone photo. Standing in front with no one in between Keith & Mick, Charlie and Ronnie and the others when the show started. My best show ever. What a setlist, the hottest show I attended and a lot more. Mick said to Ronnie it was even hotter than the opener in Toronto. smoking smiley Marvelous spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. The stage so low and so close to the barrier. I could touch Mick. But it was not allowed was told to us. But I did anyway. He jumped back, I thought oh my, now they kick met out…. Later Mick self gave me a high five. You can hear me shout in the recording of Nearness Of You, when Keith said: I lay something on you might not know. I called: I know! He said something like: Yeah some of you have looked (early). Some of the film is used by the Stones. Like I Can’t Turn You Loos. Which was also very very great. And all the other songs not often played. And so good they didn’t played the inevitable Satisfaction confused smiley Nice they played Dance Pt. 1, Worried About You, Stray Cat Blues, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, That’s How Strong My Love Is, Goin’ To A Go-Go besides the “warhorses” (stupid word, but that’s what lots of people call them) Not to forget a great great performance of Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’. Mick playing harp on it, which he didn’t do all the time, like in 2022 were he didn’t. And Bobby playing sax and the other want him to stretch his solo even more, but he refused (with a smile smiling smiley)

The only show thus far for me coming close to this one was the Hard Rock Hotel Hollywood Florida November 21st of 2021 where I also stand in front of Mick & Keith and the others. Also a low stage and close to the barrier, but not low and close as in Cirkus Krone. What setlist concerns, only Paradiso May 27th of 1995 was better. But that show I was sadly not in site of Paradiso, but only at the Museum Plein. But I’ve been to shows where I stood further more in the back and from the soundsystem….

Stetlist by [rocksoff.org]

I put in the link to the (professional) shot video below.

Jumpin’ Jack Flash
Tumbling Dice
All Down The Line
Sweet Virginia
Worried About You
Stray Cat Blues
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Dance Pt. 1
That’s How Strong My Love Is
Goin’ To A Go-Go
The Nearness Of You
Before They Make Me Run
It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll
Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
I Can’t Turn You Loose

Live debut for song 11.
Songs 7 (incomplete) and 18 released
on ‘Four Flicks’ DVD (Nov 2003)
Song 11 (incomplete) released on
'Rolling Stones Exclusive Fan Club
DVD’ (Aug 2005)

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-06 19:20 by Christiaan.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2023 20:53

Great memories Christiaan. thumbs up

I also did the Fan Asylum package for Stockholm which included all three shows (theater/arena/stadium), early access, transpo to and from, special merch, and seven nights in a fancy hotel...all for apprx. $1500.
And to think the Stones charge that much (or even more) for a single VIP ticket in a massive stadium show these days! From there went to all the Netherlands, England, and Scotland shows, but not with Fan Asylum.
Anyhow, great to read and relive all these memories here...it was a great summer and a great tour! Hard to believe it was all twenty years ago....

Date: June 5, 2023 21:09

Hairball

I also did the Fan Asylum package for Stockholm which included all three shows (theater/arena/stadium), early access, transpo to and from, special merch, and seven nights in a fancy hotel...all for apprx. $1500.
And to think the Stones charge that much (or even more) for a single VIP ticket in a massive stadium show these days! From there went to all the Netherlands, England, and Scotland shows, but not with Fan Asylum.
Anyhow, great to read and relive all these memories here...it was a great summer and a great tour! Hard to believe it was all twenty years ago....

I think you have to look at your bills again Hairball smiling bouncing smiley It was bit more as I remember, no not remember, but know for sure. Quite a bit more…..smoking smiley
But I never ever regret one second, not one milli second of the money it costed spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
But as you wrote, great with early acces, great hotel and all the other stuff. But the best was and is just the early access!! Only a bit of a problem in Olympia Halle, but they got us in front. And Cirkus Krone also in front, but not smoothly smiling smiley. And no free drinks as with the other shows, but I didn’t care at all. The only thing what was promised, but not happened, was a tour on the real stage at the Olympia Stadium before the show. I don’t remember if that would take place before or after the soundcheck of the Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-05 21:10 by Christiaan.

Date: June 5, 2023 21:34

There's the possibility that the Munich
pacage cost more, but again the Stockholm package was apprx. $1500 give or take... maybe $1600 or $1700... but no more than that. Also, they had a more expensive solo price or a less expensive if bought in a pair. Maybe you bought the solo package?

Date: June 5, 2023 21:53

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Hairball
There's the possibility that the Munich
pacage cost more, but again the Stockholm package was apprx. $1500 give or take... maybe $1600 or $1700... but no more than that. Also, they had a more expensive solo price or a less expensive if bought in a pair. Maybe you bought the solo package?

I did got the solo package. If Stockholm was that much cheaper, I would have taken that one instead of Munich. Because that would just be money through the drain. It was me for even which city I would take, except London, Paris or Amsterdam. I had seen the Stones there often. But it doesn’t matter how much it was now (and then smiling bouncing smiley) Still do no regret, as you don’t regret it I bet

I did also Stockholm and lot of other cities that tour, but only one club show, Cirkus Krone.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: June 6, 2023 02:44

Is a shame only our loved AC/DC released the show (filmed days after) officially with excellent audio and video...

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: June 6, 2023 05:29

...and 58 years ago today, San Bernardino, California hosted the first American Rolling Stones concert.

I missed that one unfortunately...tickets $3.50 and they packed the 6000 seat Swing Auditorium with 3500 fans.

...been in 15 states

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 6, 2023 10:41

NashvilleBlues

yeah!

that was the first thing i noticed too

and i've noticed it in other photos and videos from 2002-03 as well

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 6, 2023 11:12

ProfessorWolf
NashvilleBlues

yeah!

that was the first thing i noticed too

and i've noticed it in other photos and videos from 2002-03 as well

Yep! Mick was in great shape during the Licks tour. I noticed his physique when recently watching a clip of the HBO MSG show.

I attended the Olympiahalle concert. It was my second Stones show, and first arena performance. Aside from a weirdo who latched onto me as I was trying to find a taxi, it was a wonderful evening in Munich.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 6, 2023 12:01

The Licks tour was probably the last time the Stones played concerts who can be listened to afterwards. Mick Jagger was in incredible shape. After the first recordings of the ABB tour I realized a massive decline in the guitar department.The accident of KR made things worse. Of course the Stones created great moments in the past years, but they are carried by the love of their fans nowadays.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 7, 2023 00:11

windmelody
The Licks tour was probably the last time the Stones played concerts who can be listened to afterwards. Mick Jagger was in incredible shape. After the first recordings of the ABB tour I realized a massive decline in the guitar department.The accident of KR made things worse. Of course the Stones created great moments in the past years, but they are carried by the love of their fans nowadays.

Dancing With Mr D live from HONK is excellent! LSTNT is pretty damn good as well.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 7, 2023 02:52

windmelody

fonda 2015

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 7, 2023 03:56

Hairball

This one got me going. Good to hear your comments Hairball! My trek was Hockenheim, Ahoy, and Wembley. Mick dumped water on us at Wembley. Good times!

Date: June 7, 2023 05:57

shattered
Hairball

This one got me going. Good to hear your comments Hairball! My trek was Hockenheim, Ahoy, and Wembley. Mick dumped water on us at Wembley. Good times!

Goes to show it's a small world after all shattered...to think we were in the same room twenty years ago sharing an experience with the Stones without even knowing each other!
Maybe even side by side rubbing shoulders while Mick dumped water on us!winking smileyYou picked a great show to be at in London as the Wembley arena show was the best of the bunch there...
it was better than Twickenham, and yes even better than the Astoria imo. We were also in the same room at Ahoy arena in Rotterdam...another fantastic show! It's a small world after all...................

Re: Twenty years ago (Munich 2003)...
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 7, 2023 12:34

Great memories. It was soooo hot in front of the Olympiahalle. What a great show.
[iorr.org]

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 15:52

Those were the days! Amazing week in Munich with three great gigs and great weather.
They should release a box of all three shows... all of them were recorded and partly shown in a Croatian TV report about the gigs.

Date: June 7, 2023 16:17

GasLightStreet
windmelody

Dancing With Mr D live from HONK is excellent! LSTNT is pretty damn good as well.

Shine A Light is excellent as well (I was present when they played it). Not too fond of that LSTNT-rendition, though.

Date: June 7, 2023 17:34

henrik87
Those were the days! Amazing week in Munich with three great gigs and great weather.
They should release a box of all three shows... all of them were recorded and partly shown in a Croatian TV report about the gigs.

I think they record/tape all shows. Even filming it. As shown in my post about Cirkus Krone. That comes right of The Rolling Stones (vaults or it was taken from there by someone) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 7, 2023 17:43

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 18:04 by Rik.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 7, 2023 17:57

My second of the tour, after NY MSG earlier that year. I remember a great concert, although the band was not as tight as in NY. My first Love in vain!!!

Arrived from Milan by car, me and 4 friends. Just in time for a couple of huge beers. Slightly disappointed by the audience. A little sleepy. Things were wilder at the first of the No Security Tour in Stuttgart.

Return was a nightmare. Fined in Austria and broke a turbine just passed the Italian border. 80 kmh maximum for the last 250 km - Arrived at 6 in the morning

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-07 17:58 by liddas.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home