Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why Brian Jones distance himself?
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: June 9, 2023 08:48

He was the man who formed the band. He was the man who bought them success. A man who could play all instruments. So why all of a sudden he distance himself from the band? Is it that what I dt i feel that ROLLING STONES from blues band to a rock band. Maybe this transition affected him.

Re: Why Brian Jones distance himself?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 9, 2023 10:38

Goodness...where would you start explaining that...

Basically he was a complex guy who became troubled and lost any clear sense of purpose as events and fame exploded around him.

Many argue that others effectively forced him out but that would be a vast oversimplification and his own reaction to things left him increasingly outside the loop.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 9, 2023 12:55

The ability to write and shape great songs that turn into commercial successes is a powerful skill/ strength for a musician who is part of a band. Without that competence it is difficult to lead the band especially if other in the band master the process. It must be very difficult to feel that one has been "dethroned" and to stay in the band.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 9, 2023 13:35

People leave bands.. especially when they don't like each other or disagree about the musical direction. Brian unfortunately died soon after, but Pete Best left the Beatles, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman left the Stones, Clapton left the Yarbirds and Bluesbrakers.

He probably wanted the start or join another group that suited his musical interests more. And I was thinking this psychedelic Majesties Request sound was mainly his idea..Ironically the Stones returned to the bluesrock the moment he left the band.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 9, 2023 13:35

pftw04
So why all of a sudden he distance himself from the band?

I doubt it was a sudden conscious decision.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2023 15:38

ribbelchips
People leave bands.. especially when they don't like each other or disagree about the musical direction. Brian unfortunately died soon after, but Pete Best left the Beatles, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman left the Stones, Clapton left the Yarbirds and Bluesbrakers.

He probably wanted the start or join another group that suited his musical interests more. And I was thinking this psychedelic Majesties Request sound was mainly his idea..Ironically the Stones returned to the bluesrock the moment he left the band.

Pete Best left the Beatles? Not without some nudging.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 9, 2023 15:55

Brian drifted from the Stones during the period when the axis of power shifted from himself, the founder, to Mick and Keith, the songwriters. This with, I suspect, a definite inability to deal with fame and all its inevitable trappings, were, at least partly, some of the major contributing factors towards his decline. He struggled with alcohol, drugs and arrests. His mindset must’ve been unstable. Let’s forget that he was sometimes missing-in-action due to illness, also. Ultimately, I suppose there were many contributing factors. Keith and Anita’s coupling may have been another hammer-blow.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 9, 2023 16:04

Big Al
Brian drifted from the Stones during the period when the axis of power shifted from himself, the founder, to Mick and Keith, the songwriters. This with, I suspect, a definite inability to deal with fame and all its inevitable trappings, were, at least partly, some of the major contributing factors towards his decline. He struggled with alcohol, drugs and arrests. His mindset must’ve been unstable. Let’s forget that he was sometimes missing-in-action due to illness, also. Ultimately, I suppose there were many contributing factors. Keith and Anita’s coupling may have been another hammer-blow.
Brian may not have at that time been writing 3 minute pop songs but he could compose music , witness a Degree of Murder.Whether you like it or not is another story, but had he lived , he may have written music that was good.This whole time period of his “decline “ was only 3 years .Maybe had he lived he would have got himself together, he was only 27. And his contributions to songs like Ruby Tuesday, We Love You, 2000 Years Ago may have warranted writers credit

Date: June 9, 2023 16:13

Taylor1
Brian may not have at that time been writing 3 minute pop songs but he could compose music , witness a Degree of Murder.Whether you like it or not is another story, but had he lived , he may have written music that was good.This whole time period of his “decline “ was only 3 years .Maybe had he lived he would have got himself together, he was only 27. And his contributions to songs like Ruby Tuesday, We Love You, 2000 Years Ago may have warranted writers credit

I absolutely recognise that Brian was talented and contributed wonderfully to some of Mick and Keith’s contributions. I don’t think he deserves writing-credit for Ruby Tuesday, however. The songwriter is the lyricist and creator of the melody. Brian added a nice flute passage on top of an already created melody. The Degree of Murder soundtrack interests me more for Jimmy Page’s contribution. It’d be nice to hear the soundtrack with clarity someday.

Date: June 9, 2023 16:23

Taylor1
Big Al

The director of the movie claimed that Keith came in and saved the recording sessions. I don't know if that's true, though.

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: June 9, 2023 17:22

I think it is possible Brian Jones might have been dealing with undiagnosed mental illness. There are many stories of his difficult behavior.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 9, 2023 17:24

treaclefingers
ribbelchips

Pete Best left the Beatles? Not without some nudging.

Still, he didn't leave. He was fired.

Date: June 9, 2023 17:40

retired_dog

Ah, but why? His poor drumming, or because of Neil Aspinall and his mother, Mona Best? Either way, listening to his performance on the DECCA audition rendition of Love Me Do tells us that he couldn't keep time at all.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 9, 2023 17:43

He was an integral part of the band during his lifetime. Hindsight colors everything. Some believe his contributions the last two years of his life were/are downplayed. Was he reckless and unreliable as well? Sure. So was Keith throughout the 1970s. Many artists are highly functioning addicts. Not having to punch a clock every morning helps foster that situation.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: June 9, 2023 21:33

In my view the joint venture between several London drugs dealers and the Chelsea drugs squad is what really destroyed him.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: June 10, 2023 00:32

Rocknroll1969
I think it is possible Brian Jones might have been dealing with undiagnosed mental illness. There are many stories of his difficult behavior.

i've heard those stories too

he was definitely going thru some stuff and probably would have benefited from professional help

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 10, 2023 01:52

Big Al
retired_dog

Ah, but why? ...

I've read more than one article/book that said he was out of his mind on drugs, that was his main downfall

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home