Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ROBERT FRANK in 1975, discussing Jagger, the Stones, and making CS Bules
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 5, 2023 00:16

Wellesley College:
April 14, 1975 Robert Frank, photographer, filmmaker

Q: Well, feeling like that is part of what people pick up from you, and so that is your influence.

Robert Frank: I guess that is powerful, but I never looked at it that way. I'm not conscious of it. Whereas with the Stones, every second, you see that tremendous power that they have. Actually, everybody around them is afraid of them — their friends, everybody. What can they do? They can kill you. It's as simple as that. They can beat you to a pulp and tell you to get out. They can do anything.

Q: How did you go about making the Stones film? Did you get to know them very well before you started shooting?

RF: No, I didn't. I made a record cover for them, and Mick Jagger sort of liked me. They called me up in Nova Scotia. I said to them, "That's the camera I want." They bought the camera, and they said, "You do the film." There was never any more talk about it. I just got paid, and they let me do whatever I wanted to, but it was the agreement that I would finish and give them the film. They have the say whether it's going to come out or not.

We went on tour with them in 1972. It's pretty interesting to get to know somebody as powerful as Jagger, or that group. So much money, so much power. It's sort of frightening. It's a frightening film in that way. And if I could have shown what really went on, it would have been horrendous — not to be believed. The film is a pretty down-trip film. They weren't too happy about it, but Jagger is very straight. He said, "You did the film, that's the way you see it; although that's not the way I see it, that's not the way it really is." I like him personally, and he's quite an amazing guy. He has a fantastic head, and he's really in control. They're rough people to be with. You've got to keep up. If you can't keep up, it's too bad.

Q: You seem to have been a stranger in their world, and there seems to be an element of the stranger in both your films and photography. How do you feel about that?

RF: Well, I think that's quite a good observation. I guess I am an observer, in a way. It also had to do with the fact that a lot of my work deals with myself, especially my films. It's very hard to get away from myself. It seems, almost, that's all I have. That's sort of a sad feeling. But that feeling of being a stranger — it has to do with years of photography, where you walk around, you observe, and you walk away, and you begin to be a pretty good detective.

I was very happy to make the Stones film because it got me away from myself. But then again, the film turned out to be about my friend
[Danny Seymour]. We both made the film together, but he really sort of lived what the Stones imagined they were living. It was a drug scene, but he really did it in front of the camera, and I lived with him, so I made the film on him, part of it. And on Jagger and Richards. Those were the three people that interested me. I wasn't interested in the music at all, I mean the performance, but Jagger knew that. I guess that's one of the reasons he liked me.

Q: You spoke earlier of your mistrust for powerful institutions, like the museum. Do you feel the same sort of mistrust toward Jagger?

RF: There are two images in my mind. On the one hand, I admire him because of his ability as a performer, his capability as an administrator of such a powerful business venture. But then on the other hand, it would be the same for a politician whom I would mistrust. In the end, it would turn me off completely. I would have nothing to do with it because in the end, he would destroy me. Because I don't play his game; I'm not in his class. All the personalities in that group are especially rough. They are hard on each other; they are completely without feeling for anyone around them. Anything goes to get the work going and keep it moving. And that's a strong experience to go through — to see that, and how it works.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-05 00:19 by schillid.

Re: ROBERT FRANK in 1975, discussing the Jagger, the Stones, and making CS Bules
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2023 00:20

(Jagger)
he's quite an amazing guy. He has a fantastic head, and he's really in control. They're rough people to be with. You've got to keep up. If you can't keep up, it's too bad.

Fanks Schill .... interesting read ....

Stay Safe

ROCKMAN

Re: ROBERT FRANK in 1975, discussing the Jagger, the Stones, and making CS Bules
Date: June 5, 2023 00:29

During the month of April 1975, the following people spent a day at
Wellesley College:

April 7 John Morris, former picture editor, N.Y.T. Pictures New York Times, News Service
April 9 Paul Schuster Taylor, economist, co-author with Dorothea Lange of An American Exodus
April 11 Gjon Mili, Life magazine photographer
April 14 Robert Frank, photographer, filmmaker
April 15 Frederick Wiseman, documentary filmmaker
April 16 John Szarkowski, director, Department of Photography, Museum of Modern Art, New York
April 18 W. Eugene Smith, photo-essayist
April 21 Susan Sontag, critic, filmmaker
April 23 Irving Penn, fashion/portrait photographer
April 25 Robert Coles, author and research psychiatrist, Harvard University

Their visits constituted a series of ten symposia called Photography
within the Humanities which inquired into the functions of photog-
raphy.

Full text of "Photography within the humanities" available here.

Re: ROBERT FRANK in 1975, discussing Jagger, the Stones, and making CS Bules
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 5, 2023 01:28

Yes thx Schillid, twas an interesting perspective. He didn't say it but it made it seem like they were pretty uncaring and ruthless. Maybe they were in those days and I'm sure the drugs played a part,

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 5, 2023 12:36

His movie was awful.Dull, unenergetic, boring and ugly.Everything the Stones were not on stage.Who cares went on off stage.Who cares about seeing Ronnie Schneider?It’s the live shows from that great tour that is important. The only good parts of CSBlues are the snippets of the shows.The only thing I’d be interested in is were there any complete live shows they filmed that are still in existence

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2023 19:13

Taylor1
It’s the live shows from that great tour that is important. The only good parts of CSBlues are the snippets of the shows. (moan moan moan)

Hey you still have L and G for that...
Jagger liked Cs Blues why cannot you?

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 5, 2023 19:32

I question rather the band cared enough to be as Frank described them. The Stones have always come across a very laissez-faire outfit during that era and into the early 80s. It seems like Frank wanted the myth to be real but even then a lot of whst he says is contradictory about the band. I think they too high or strung out from drugs, booze and the tour itself to be as he described them. They probably all spent more time sleeping than being mean, ruthless, bad#$ses.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2023 21:56

A crash course in Robert Frank for you :

1 - Jagger discovers Franks 1959 book The Americans. He likes it.
2 - He uses one picture from the book for Exile.
3 - He jumps at the opportunity to work with Frank during the 72 tour.

Naturally Jagger expects Frank to come up with a documentary that closely matches the atmosphere of The Americans : a moody melancholic sad portrait of a band going across America over 3 months.
Much like what Frank did in 56-57 for his book : he drove across America and took pcitures no one had taken before.

You gotta command Jagger for being both bold and visionary : look what Led Zep did with their own 73 trek : a pitiful laughable film that reeks of the worst aspects of the 70s.

Tarle in 71, Frank in 72 : yeah visually speaking the Stones are in a league of their own.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 6, 2023 12:40

dcba
Taylor1
It’s the live shows from that great tour that is important. The only good parts of CSBlues are the snippets of the shows. (moan moan moan)

Because it sucks.And L&G is poorly filmed and recorded

Date: June 6, 2023 12:50

dcba
Taylor1

Did he? The only quote I've seen from him is «This won't ever get released» smiling smiley

Date: June 6, 2023 16:44

DandelionPowderman
dcba
Taylor1

Did he? The only quote I've seen from him is «This won't ever get released» smiling smiley

Mick Jagger’s often repeated ... line about the movie... “It’s a good film, Robert,” he reportedly told Frank, “but if it shows in America we’ll never be allowed in the country again.”
[hazlitt.net]

Date: June 6, 2023 16:54

schillid
DandelionPowderman
dcba
Taylor1

Mick Jagger’s often repeated ... line about the movie... “It’s a good film, Robert,” he reportedly told Frank, “but if it shows in America we’ll never be allowed in the country again.”
[hazlitt.net]

My paraphrasing seems waay off, then, thanks smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home