Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Any Cheap Trick Fans Here?
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 21, 2020 02:47

Takes me right back to college in the late 70's . Always a fun show, occasionally brilliant, occasionally Top 40 lame. Check this later era powerhouse performance- thats how a tight three piece works!

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Any Cheap Trick Fans Here?
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 21, 2020 02:59

Ran into them at a HSB festival a few years ago.. was like running into an old friend winking smiley
Still very good!

I'm in this huge crowd somewhere..

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 21, 2020 05:02

Greatly under appreciated band! Still sounding great! Probably seen them a dozen times over 40 years.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 21, 2020 08:05

Was a big fan during Budokan/Dream Police era. Don't like the fact that Bun E Carlos is no longer with them. Was actually supposed to see them on May 1 opening for ZZ Top in Abbotsford near Vancouver.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:26

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan but Dream police was a great song

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:34

I know a girl who did cheap tricks ...
Then the devil phoned her mother-in-law ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 21, 2020 14:33

roryfaninva
Any Cheap Trick Fans Here?

Not sure I'd qualify myself as a 'fan' but I've always enjoyed them! I never did see them live. I Want You To Want Me was always the most played, on my radio stations, and it's a great one, but my favorite is easily Surrender.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 21, 2020 17:15

Love Cheap Trick !

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 21, 2020 18:08

I'm a huge fan.

Lots of the latter day stuff is as good as the early stuff after a slight dip in the 80's.

Yes, Bun E. is missed, but Dax does a pretty good job.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 21, 2020 19:02

I used to go see them every time they came through Austin...always a blast

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: August 21, 2020 19:14

Always a fun show. And a pretty good band too.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 21, 2020 19:18

Cheap Trick? Bubble gum for the bubble gummers. Its amazing they are still around in any form at all and not playing local bars and county fairs during the weekdays.

jb

Date: August 21, 2020 19:42

Maybe you haven't stood in front of Ric's amp. Closer to metal than bubblegum.

Anyway, to each his own.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 21, 2020 20:13

They were great back in the day...John Lennon thought so also:

Cheap Trick recounts working with John Lennon to Howard Stern

“He wanted a heavier sound because if you listen to Double Fantasy now,
it sounds kind of loungy to me and it sounds like studio guys. He wanted a harder edge,”

No sure why this version wasn't used (maybe too heavy?), but it's superior to the official version imo, and was eventually released on one of the box sets/compilations...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 21, 2020 20:46

My favorite memory was not even song related - when Keith was doing a live on-air radio interview for one of his solo wino albums (not sure if it was for Talk is Cheap or Main Offender), one of the Cheap Trick guitarists called into the show and heaped a ton of praise on Keith, saying how he was a huge inspiration. It was too long ago but I have to assume it was Rick Nielsen. I still have my cassette recording of the interview.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 21, 2020 21:39

Bun E. says circa 1975 he was going back to his hotel room after a gig and heard someone down the hall blasting Stones music he'd never heard before and intrigued he went to the room and discovered a drunken Steve Marriott blaring a tape of Steve playing with The Stones...Bun. E has a Facebook page if you want details you can ask him!

From the description of "The Life and Times of Steve Marriott" doc-

The video’s bonus features include comments from Cheap Trick’s Rick Nielsen and Bun E. Carlos. The latter discusses how he first met Marriott immediately after Marriott auditioned for The Rolling Stones. Losing the audition to Ron Wood, Marriott invited Carlos into his hotel room to hear the audition tapes at high volume, much to the delight of Carlos and the dismay of the other hotel guests.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-21 22:00 by roryfaninva.

Date: August 21, 2020 22:07

Hairball

it sounds kind of loungy to me and it sounds like studio guys. He wanted a harder edge,”

No sure why this version wasn't used (maybe too heavy?), but it's superior to the official version imo, and was eventually released on one of the box sets/compilations...

Cheap Trick does a nice version of "I'm Losing You" on Silver.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 21, 2020 22:13

Cheap Trick At Budokan not only elevated the group to stardom but also made the Budokan world famous and one of the most celebrated, iconic rock venues of all. However, the bulk of this album is actually from the Koseinenkin Kaikan (a 2,400 seater), Osaka, April 27, 1978, the previous date to the Budokan shows (April 28 and 30). The story goes that the producer found the tapes recorded at the Budokan unusable for the most part for some technical reason therefore opted for the Osaka recording, supposedly prepared for the backup. It has been no secret from the day it was released, but my general impression is that both record company and journalists have deliberately avoided mentioning this fact as much as possible to this day, presumably to keep the prestige that is attached to the album and the venue. I have never come across a track-by-track recording credit (the date and the venue on each track) anywhere, even in an “in-depth” feature of the album in a music magazine. Ever.

Date: August 21, 2020 22:46

RisingStone
Cheap Trick At Budokan not only elevated the group to stardom but also made the Budokan world famous and one of the most celebrated, iconic rock venues of all. However, the bulk of this album is actually from the Koseinenkin Kaikan (a 2,400 seater), Osaka, April 27, 1978, the previous date to the Budokan shows (April 28 and 30). The story goes that the producer found the tapes recorded at the Budokan unusable for the most part for some technical reason therefore opted for the Osaka recording, supposedly prepared for the backup. It has been no secret from the day it was released, but my general impression is that both record company and journalists have deliberately avoided mentioning this fact as much as possible to this day, presumably to keep the prestige that is attached to the album and the venue. I have never come across a track-by-track recording credit (the date and the venue on each track) anywhere, even in an “in-depth” feature of the album in a music magazine. Ever.

I have the "Budokan: The Complete Concert"CDs, but am not sure where/when it was recorded. Same version of the songs from the original album and Ric even mentions Budokan as they're headed to the stage. We may never know.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 21, 2020 23:39

DGA35
Was a big fan during Budokan/Dream Police era. Don't like the fact that Bun E Carlos is no longer with them. Was actually supposed to see them on May 1 opening for ZZ Top in Abbotsford near Vancouver.

I almost got tickets for that show too. Seen ZZ before and wasn't impressed but would have liked to see Cheap Trick.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 22, 2020 00:10

Hairball

I think a bit too heavy for Double Fantasy................although it sounds great

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 22, 2020 01:12

treaclefingers
DGA35

I almost got tickets for that show too. Seen ZZ before and wasn't impressed but would have liked to see Cheap Trick.

They were cheap, I believe $100 incl. ticketmaster service charges. Plus, it's a lot easier driving home from Abby than downtown Vancouver! Never seen ZZ before, had many opportunities, and CT I saw in the early 90s with Heart at the Coliseum and then I'm sure I saw CT maybe at the Commodore. I would have to go through all my old ticket stubs!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 22, 2020 05:12

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

They were cheap, I believe $100 incl. ticketmaster service charges. Plus, it's a lot easier driving home from Abby than downtown Vancouver! Never seen ZZ before, had many opportunities, and CT I saw in the early 90s with Heart at the Coliseum and then I'm sure I saw CT maybe at the Commodore. I would have to go through all my old ticket stubs!

A group of 4 of us went to this tour, half of us thought Cheap Trick was better than ZZ, though goidnshow all around.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 22, 2020 12:12

I got into them when "In Color" came out. The first time I saw them was opening for KISS on the "Love Gun" tour. CT were way better. When I was in high school, they were the band that opened for everyone. Saw them several times in those days, most memorably 2 nights of a bill of Ted Nugent/Cheap Trick & opening a fairly obscure band from Australia called AC/DC. Bon Scott era before "Highway to Hell". Originally went 1 night & AC/DC were so great I went the second night. Cheap Trick were in fine form, too. Around "Heaven Can Wait" maybe "Dream Police". Ted was the weak link. Still like a lot of those records. Met the band once (except Rick was sick). Talked to Bun E Carlos a long time. Very cool guy. So, I was a put out with how he left the band. The band said he was ill & couldn't tour. Maybe for a short time but Bun E has said he was kicked out because he clashed with Robin Zander. So, Rick Nielsen's son was suddenly in the band. They still sound pretty good but that sort of left a bad taste. Bun E put out a good solo album fairly recently. I think they should probably be in the hall of fame. Lifetime achievement award. If you're outside of NYC/LA it's tough though.

Date: August 22, 2020 13:54

They made the R and R HOF a few years ago.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 22, 2020 14:30

Surrender! Great song with a key change! thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 22, 2020 15:10

Elmo Lewis
They made the R and R HOF a few years ago.

Shows how much I pay attention to that, haha.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 22, 2020 16:23

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

Agreed...seen a number of shows in Abby over the last few years, great little venue. Saw ZZ in Vancouver, I think it was 84. Very formulaic. May just have been that tour, but never saw them since.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 22, 2020 17:30

I always loved Rick's fantastic Guitar Collection.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 22, 2020 18:43

Elmo Lewis
Maybe you haven't stood in front of Ric's amp. Closer to metal than bubblegum.

Anyway, to each his own.

Those amps sound fantastic...and they’ll blind ya if you’re staring at them at the wrong time! Far from bubblegum unless it’s whiskey flavored...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home