Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Keith Richards web sold Books were 100% Autopen signed.
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 17, 2012 19:39

Basically all signatures today are "autopen" - only if you go to a bookstore and have the author himself to sit and write his signagture, you will get the real thing. This is the same for all kind of signatures, company greeting cards, autographs on sports-shirts etc.

Posted by: 48yearsaRSfan ()
Date: March 1, 2013 01:32

Hi. Sorry for opening an old thread but had some follow up questions for anyone with real facts to further report since this was first written. I was one of the 50 who received a signed Life copy from the KR Website. It looks nothing like the photos in the thread and appears authentic to our untrained eyes. As my nickname indicates I have been a fan since 1965 saving up shoe shine money at age five to buy my first Rolling Stones record; so not a newbie tho new to the site. Thanks for the site by the way; I have enjoyed it for years. A few questions:

1. It is mentioned in the thread that there are 4 or 5 signature types used in the KR book signing? Where are we getting this specific fact from; publisher, KR's Agent? These are pretty specific facts suggested.

2. Has Keith, his Agent or the KR Website responded to any direct inquiries about an autopen? The News report provided nothing by way of facts, details or serious reporting; not exactly the NY Times.

3. In the pictures posted the poster mentions the width of the signature across the page; but there is no full page to compare or evaluate the suggested proof.

I went back and looked at the emails from the KR website promising me a "hand signed copy by Keith" and am pretty bummed if they sent me a knock off copy. ( I actually emailed a Thank You to them after placing my order letting know how long I had been a fan and how nice it was that they were doing this. I also mentioned I was noy a EBAYer but a real fan that was going to enjoy it for the rest of my time here. They emailed back a Thanks!)

When I buy a Stones Album I want Charlie playing the drums; not a drum machine! I trusted that has always been the fact. The Rolling Stones were always authentic to me and I hope this is not the parting experience after nearly 50 years as a fan, concert goer and admirer of their work.

Please do not take my questions as being rude or insulting and I apoligize if it comes off as such. Just curious about my book and it's status. Thanks Folks.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 1, 2013 02:42

Well Jesus H Christ!!!! Next thing you know you will be telling me that there are guys under the stage playing guitars at the Stones show!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-01 02:42 by deadegad.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 1, 2013 03:11

48yearsaRSfan

1. It is mentioned in the thread that there are 4 or 5 signature types used in the KR book signing? Where are we getting this specific fact from; publisher, KR's Agent? These are pretty specific facts suggested.

No official word from the publisher or Keith's manager, Jane Rose. No one has yet officially responded to this issue. Once it was made clear that most of the books were autopen, then all it took was logical reasoning to assume that 4 or 5 different signature templates were used on the whole lot of them. Unfortunately, one "autopenned" book will spoil the entire batch. If one book is autopenned--it is not perpostrous to assume the rest are as well. Why would someone go to the trouble of getting 1 book autopenned when you can do ALL of them at once?

48yearsaRSfan
2. Has Keith, his Agent or the KR Website responded to any direct inquiries about an autopen? The News report provided nothing by way of facts, details or serious reporting; not exactly the NY Times.

No official word from anyone. This is hardly something that will be "investigated" or something that every news source will jump on. it's a non-issue in the bigger scheme of things. One or two fans on a fan board isn't going to make the guys in charge issue out an apology. Everyone including yourself believe you have a true, genuinely signed book. No need to address the issue when everyone has already basically fell for it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-01 03:11 by Justin.

Date: March 1, 2013 16:45

"Everyone including yourself believe you have a true, genuinely signed book. No need to address the issue when everyone has already basically fell for it."

I clearly said " I don't know what I have at this point....", thus the request for any factual updates. Saying "everyone fell for it" does not provide any additional proof one way or the other.

So to recap:
1. no photo evidence of the "5 Keith signature templates" used in the autopen claims. Would love to see them if they are available.
2. No written expert opinion including credentials of the expert concluding this was a mass fraud/hoax with 5 autopen templates or so used.

The claims may be correct; I am just a fact based person that does not believe everything "on the internet" I am as much a fan of the Rolling Stones as I am a fan of reason and logic and need evidence.

Thanks

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 1, 2013 18:28

My copy, no autopen, signed at the premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: March 1, 2013 20:15

Why not post a picture so we can compare it to other examples that have been posted?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 1, 2013 20:16

48yearsaRSfan
So to recap:
1. no photo evidence of the "5 Keith signature templates" used in the autopen claims. Would love to see them if they are available.
2. No written expert opinion including credentials of the expert concluding this was a mass fraud/hoax with 5 autopen templates or so used.

1. A little elbow grease would have gotten you the evidence you were looking for. A quick search online for signed copies of Keith's book are available. Keith did a few in-person book signings so there is no doubt those are real. Everything else that was not obtained in person is most likely autopen. The proof is in the characteristics of the signature. These "exclusive signed editions" I don't believe were sold through the website but they are suspect as well.

Do you see how there significant blotches at the tips of the end of the letters? That's the ink from the pen forming a ball as the mechanical arm picks up and moves around to begin another stroke. All the signatures obviously have variations in them...they all look different and individual (hence the "templates" position). But one thing they do have in common is that they all share the same characteristics which strongly suggest that they are in fact autopen.

2. Board member, trainarollin, a true collector and our very own resident expert on signatures confirms in his very first post that he had his own experts come in to verify the signatures as autopen. You may need some kind notarized certificate saying this but I trust his word even without any official documentation. His word (or his expert's word, rather) plus my own evaluation of the signatures works for me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-01 20:27 by Justin.

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: March 2, 2013 02:06

The beach boys had last year.... smiling smiley

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: March 2, 2013 02:11

deadegad
Well Jesus H Christ!!!! Next thing you know you will be telling me that there are guys under the stage playing guitars at the Stones show!!
well... the beach boys did it.....

Date: March 2, 2013 02:50

It is unanimous! The 50 plus age bands have autopens under the stage at all performances. Thank you all for clearing this misinformation up for once and for all. smiling smiley

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: March 2, 2013 06:56

Does it look signed or drawn? The only way I can see a signature look that way is if the pen was held at 90 degrees. What human signs while holding a pen from the top just using their finger tips to guide. Just my opinion.

Grab a pen and sign your name normal, now do it from 90 degrees. Notice the slants?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 2, 2013 11:11

A friend of John Lennon's said John only ever pursued and got one autograph: Mae West's.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home