Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are Keith and Charlie on "Doom and Gloom"?
Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 12, 2012 01:01

I've listened to the song a few times now and I am 99% certain Keith is nowhere to be found on this track. I've played guitar for years and studied his playing inside and out and I'm just not hearing him here. What I do hear is someone playing something that vaguely sounds like something Keith Richards might play, but missing the mark. There are certain figures in this song that Keith just wouldn't play. They aren't in his vocabulary. And given his general decline in playing over the years, especially after the "tree incident", I don't see him coming back and pulling this out out of nowhere. It's too smooth. Too controlled. My guess is that it's either Mick on rhythm and Ronnie on lead (the leads do sound like Ronnie), or it's Ronnie on all guitars. I would say it's most likely the former, though. Let's not forget, this IS a Mick penned song and Mick has recorded Keith-esque guitar parts over the years (Sad Sad Sad, for example). Hell, this is the same guy who wrote the riff to Brown Sugar. And Mick's playing has progressed over the years. I don't see it being too inconceivable that this could be Mick doing his best Keith impersonation.

As for Charlie, he's definitely not on the radio remix, You Tube lyric video. That's a drum machine or someone went in and recorded a really simple drum part and gave it weird production. It's just not his style on that version at all. As for the iTunes/album version...all I can say is that if that IS Charlie, it may be his most phoned in drum performance ever.

So what we basically got is a Mick solo song written to resemble a Stones song.

Now, I'm aware the press release for Grrr! stated that these new songs were the first time all four of the Stones had been together in the studio for a number of years. That can mean lots of things and doesn't necessarily mean they're all on this track. In fairness to Keith, we know One Last Shot is his tune so his guitar might show up on that one...but I really don't think he's on here.

Re: Are Keith and Charlie on "Doom and Gloom"?
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 12, 2012 01:11

I had similar thought about the drums.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 12, 2012 01:23

Listen to the iTunes download. Both Keef and Charlie are present. In my setup the iTunes version features Keith in the left channel. Mick right. The radio remix on youtube, the opposite. And there Charlie is wiped out to a programmed drumbeat.
Also I believe Ronnie has the lead themes as it it surely something he could play.
Very Darryly bassplaying, but where is Chuck? winking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 12, 2012 01:23

You are right, and the thing that pi....s me off is that I prefer the radio version.
On the other hand it is not a big deal. Watts has his Boogie project, and the guitarists had their fun.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: October 12, 2012 01:34

Wait. I got the Radio Version from Itunes and I hear a drum machine instead of Charlie.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 12, 2012 01:41

punkfloyd
Wait. I got the Radio Version from Itunes and I hear a drum machine instead of Charlie.
Then you have to download the album version... winking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 12, 2012 01:52

Charlie and Keith are both on it. There is no conspiracy here. If you want straight ahead Stones with no frills...stick with the iTunes version. Old-school fans won't find much to like in the radio edit remix that's on YouTube.

On the iTunes version: Keith can be heard throughout the track mainly in the left channel. You can hear his classic pull off on the bass root note a couple times...notably at 3:36 (also more prevalent on the radio edit version but on the right channel). Keith is there but mixed evenly with the other guitars...either Mick or Ronnie. Probably Mick on the lead guitar since this is most likely a song penned by him. The guitars are arranged much like "Don't Stop"...Mick focused on rhythm and Keith buried in the back. Not much "fairy dust" from him this time around.

Charlie is lying down a basic dance beat with next to zero fills. Not sure how you can hear the way that stick hits that snare and think it's not Charlie. Straight ahead 4x4 beat and he's mixed (and maybe spliced together?) so that he's consistent throughout the track. In this particular song, there isn't much room for him to try different things. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mick's specific direction to Charlie to keep the fills to a minimum and keep it as close to a hypnotic techno/electronic beat as possible.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 12, 2012 02:23

I'm curious as to why everyone is so sure it's not Charlie. Because the drums are too simple? What about the drums on (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 12, 2012 02:26

tatters
I'm curious as to why everyone is so sure it's not Charlie. Because the drums are too simple? What about the drums on (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction?
The only reason I didn't think it was him was because I thought the drums sounded like a machine.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 12, 2012 02:37

tatters
What about the drums on (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction?

Definitely not Charlie...we're not even debating that one.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 02:49

Is it Keith ? Is it Charlie ?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:07

tatters

No, because they have absolutely no feel, unlike "Satisfaction". It has nothing to do with simplicity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 03:08 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:17

custom55
Is it Keith ? Is it Charlie ?

That wont do... Is it time again to break out the old...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 03:18 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:33

Justin
Charlie and Keith are both on it. There is no conspiracy here. If you want straight ahead Stones with no frills...stick with the iTunes version. Old-school fans won't find much to like in the radio edit remix that's on YouTube.

On the iTunes version: Keith can be heard throughout the track mainly in the left channel. You can hear his classic pull off on the bass root note a couple times...notably at 3:36 (also more prevalent on the radio edit version but on the right channel). Keith is there but mixed evenly with the other guitars...either Mick or Ronnie. Probably Mick on the lead guitar since this is most likely a song penned by him. The guitars are arranged much like "Don't Stop"...Mick focused on rhythm and Keith buried in the back. Not much "fairy dust" from him this time around.

Charlie is lying down a basic dance beat with next to zero fills. Not sure how you can hear the way that stick hits that snare and think it's not Charlie. Straight ahead 4x4 beat and he's mixed (and maybe spliced together?) so that he's consistent throughout the track. In this particular song, there isn't much room for him to try different things. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mick's specific direction to Charlie to keep the fills to a minimum and keep it as close to a hypnotic techno/electronic beat as possible.

I agree both Keith and Charlie as well as ole Chuckie are all present and accounted for on this track. On the itunes version what Charlie is playing sounds similar to what he played on You Got Me Rockin' with it's heavy use of tom. Mick seems to like Charlie playing that way for some reason. I don't there's been many interesting fills on a Stones album in several years, certainly not on ABB. On the lyric version it seems they used Charlie's beat to build up drum machines and samples over top of, but he's on their as well. As for Keith you can hear him in the left channel starting at :02 seconds into the song. As for Chuckie, you can hear organ clearly at the end of the song.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:54

well, i like it...

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:55

I definitely hear the guitar figure in the left speaker at the beginning of the song, the one that's more buried, but all it is is that one little figure. And it's only played a few times throughout the song. There are large chunks of the song where you can't hear that guitar at all, which is separated from the others by having a different tone. I don't think that one little riff is good evidence of Keith being on the track though. But if it IS Keith...then his contribution is one little riff and being buried behind Jagger's guitar. Still, I'm not convinced it's him. How hard would it have been for whoever recorded the main rhythm track (who I am assuming to be Jagger) to go in an overdub a different, similar riff here and there?

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 12, 2012 04:00

i need to listen again...if Keith is on it we will hear that same solo he's been playing since Bridges to Babylon...it's a 4-note riff that he can't keep his fingers from playing...

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 04:38

charlie is a machine.but i think its john lennon not keith.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 04:49

punkfloyd
I had similar thought about the drums.

Charlie might be mailing it in, or it could just be what the 'producers' wanted. Dirty Work was the low-point for Charlie mailing it in. I just wish it was a better song.

Date: October 12, 2012 05:08

Get over it. The real version is Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie with Darryl. That youtube is not the Stones... blame it on the mixer screwing it up.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: October 12, 2012 05:29

deuce
That can mean lots of things and doesn't necessarily mean they're all on this track. In fairness to Keith, we know One Last Shot is his tune so his guitar might show up on that one...but I really don't think he's on here.

The fading sardonic laughter you hear at the end of the song, that´s Keith cleaning his knife and watching the last stabbed zombie rolling down the fire stair right outside the studio, and all within the last song beat, that’s synchronism, man!

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: October 12, 2012 07:32

Unbelievable....

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 12, 2012 09:03

I can hear Keith on the video, but is it really Charlie?

2 1 2 0

Date: October 12, 2012 09:15

deuce
I've listened to the song a few times now and I am 99% certain Keith is nowhere to be found on this track. I've played guitar for years and studied his playing inside and out and I'm just not hearing him here. What I do hear is someone playing something that vaguely sounds like something Keith Richards might play, but missing the mark. There are certain figures in this song that Keith just wouldn't play. They aren't in his vocabulary. And given his general decline in playing over the years, especially after the "tree incident", I don't see him coming back and pulling this out out of nowhere. It's too smooth. Too controlled. My guess is that it's either Mick on rhythm and Ronnie on lead (the leads do sound like Ronnie), or it's Ronnie on all guitars. I would say it's most likely the former, though. Let's not forget, this IS a Mick penned song and Mick has recorded Keith-esque guitar parts over the years (Sad Sad Sad, for example). Hell, this is the same guy who wrote the riff to Brown Sugar. And Mick's playing has progressed over the years. I don't see it being too inconceivable that this could be Mick doing his best Keith impersonation.

As for Charlie, he's definitely not on the radio remix, You Tube lyric video. That's a drum machine or someone went in and recorded a really simple drum part and gave it weird production. It's just not his style on that version at all. As for the iTunes/album version...all I can say is that if that IS Charlie, it may be his most phoned in drum performance ever.

So what we basically got is a Mick solo song written to resemble a Stones song.

Now, I'm aware the press release for Grrr! stated that these new songs were the first time all four of the Stones had been together in the studio for a number of years. That can mean lots of things and doesn't necessarily mean they're all on this track. In fairness to Keith, we know One Last Shot is his tune so his guitar might show up on that one...but I really don't think he's on here.

Of course Keith is on the track. However, he's not playing much - only being prominent in the mix right after the intro as well as toward the ending.

You don't hear Charlie at the very ending of the song?? And after the ending smiling smiley

Date: October 12, 2012 09:16

audun-eg
Listen to the iTunes download. Both Keef and Charlie are present. In my setup the iTunes version features Keith in the left channel. Mick right. The radio remix on youtube, the opposite. And there Charlie is wiped out to a programmed drumbeat.
Also I believe Ronnie has the lead themes as it it surely something he could play.
Very Darryly bassplaying, but where is Chuck? winking smiley

Charlie is not wiped out, but he is turned down in the mix.

Date: October 12, 2012 09:18

big4
Justin

I agree both Keith and Charlie as well as ole Chuckie are all present and accounted for on this track. On the itunes version what Charlie is playing sounds similar to what he played on You Got Me Rockin' with it's heavy use of tom. Mick seems to like Charlie playing that way for some reason. I don't there's been many interesting fills on a Stones album in several years, certainly not on ABB. On the lyric version it seems they used Charlie's beat to build up drum machines and samples over top of, but he's on their as well. As for Keith you can hear him in the left channel starting at :02 seconds into the song. As for Chuckie, you can hear organ clearly at the end of the song.

I don't hear Chuck on the radio version. Maybe that's why I like this the most?

Date: October 12, 2012 09:41

I don't hear Chuck on the radio version. Maybe that's why I like this the most?

grinning smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 12, 2012 10:01

backstreetboy1
charlie is a machine.but i think its john lennon not keith.

Charlie's not even the best drummer in the Rolling Stones.

Date: October 12, 2012 10:15

Maybe Charlie found back his 1982-beat. That WAS a human drum machine!

Date: October 12, 2012 10:21

Jim Keltner used to be a machine in the 80ies, on every album released....

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home