Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ray Davies
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 11, 2012 02:14

Saw the great Ray Davies and he was fab. Obviously he tailors his show for the more casual fan as he apologised for doing a few songs from Muswell Hillbillies because he assumed people wouldn't know songs from one of their best albums. Not much of his new stuff pretty much all Kinks. Lots of chatting between songs. He's a national treasure.

Re: OT: Ray Davies
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 11, 2012 02:23

thumbs up

Yep - saw him last week. Bluddy marvellous. He gets better every time and really is a unique treasure.

Date: October 11, 2012 03:26

hopefully he will tour the east coast of the usa next year

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 11, 2012 03:35

I'm glad I saw him when his first solo album came out. Awesome mix of that amazing album and classic Kinks. Saw him at Irving Plaza one of his first shows back. I remember it was a pretty big deal his return to New York. I sat in the VIP section with Steven Van Zandt and Max Weinberg from Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. An amazing night and unfortunately I haven't had the chance to catch him since. I'm sure its good though. Another one of the all time greats.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:10

Beast
thumbs up

Yep - saw him last week. Bluddy marvellous. He gets better every time and really is a unique treasure.

Ditto

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:35

Ray claims he keeps wanting the Kinks to reform, yet he was the one who broke up the band. Still, he's great as a solo artist, and I hope I get to see him again when he comes round--only without that awful choir. He's best when he stays with a basic band lineup. Always features a great acoustic set as well. He really doesn't need the Kinks at this point, just a lot of great Kinks tunes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 19:39 by stonehearted.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:07

Dave Davies has said in numerous interviews he doesn't really want to play with Ray again. In fact a quote from him was..."I could think of nothing worse than being in a studio with Ray!"

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 11, 2012 14:10

Basic band setup (including Gibbo the Kinks keyboard player) and they were very good. The Kinks, and Dave in particular, got a few warm mentions from Ray.

Took some pics and not sure how to post them but they are on FB if anybody is interested.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:01

keefriffhard4life

I hope so. Saw him in New York a few years ago. Great show and the tickets were only like 50 bucks.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:05

FrankM
keefriffhard4life

I hope so. Saw him in New York a few years ago. Great show and the tickets were only like 50 bucks.
Would love to see him again, but he just toured the East Coast last winter. So while I'm hoping he's back soon since I couldn't catch those shows, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much as it hasn't been too long.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 11, 2012 21:20

Hello,

Saw Ray last week in Manchester and it was the best show that I have seen him play: the 90 minutes flew by in what seemed like 10!
It was an embarrassment of riches at times...not as embarrassing as this photo though!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 21:22 by SimonN.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 12, 2012 00:23

whitem8
Dave Davies has said in numerous interviews he doesn't really want to play with Ray again. In fact a quote from him was..."I could think of nothing worse than being in a studio with Ray!"

About a year or 2 ago I went to see this documentry made by a writer of the Boston Daily newspaper. It was all about his quest to get the Kinks back together. I think the most surprising parts were that Ray refused to talk to him, and that when he interviewed Dave, even thought it was obvious how upset he was at Ray for various reasons, he said he would do it. In a Q & A after the film, they writer said there were things Dave told him in confidence, but it was up to Ray to make it happen...... Dave's health is another issue.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 04:55

Is Dave even healthy enough to handle a tour at this point?

Saw Ray last year in Buffalo and he was great. The crowd was boring, they wanted hits and Ray was going deep (which I loved) but the crowd just never got into. A good show, anyway.

Date: October 12, 2012 06:33

buffalo7478

Saw Ray last year in Buffalo and he was great. The crowd was boring, they wanted hits and Ray was going deep (which I loved) but the crowd just never got into. A good show, anyway.

dave is making progress i believe because he is talking about a solo tour again

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 12, 2012 10:27

Ray when his best:

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 12, 2012 12:05

Come On
Ray when his best:

The studio version is sung by Dave.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 12, 2012 12:08

TooTough
Come On
Ray when his best:

The studio version is sung by Dave.

Is this version by Ray or Dave, and what version is on the album 'Well respected Kinks'?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 14:26

keefriffhard4life
buffalo7478

dave is making progress i believe because he is talking about a solo tour again

That is good news indeed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home