Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 39 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: October 15, 2012 15:42

Disliked it at first, love it now. And the amazing thing: it's actually the LYRICS that made me love it - now when was the last time this was the case? The lyrics and Jagger's fabulous delivery. Favourite line:

"Hear a funky noise? It's the tightening of the screws"

Brilliant!

Date: October 15, 2012 15:48

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
I think the only similar things between VL and Exile is:

- Variety
- The double album-format

VL is not more retro than, say, Steel Wheels or other albums (Big exception: B2cool smiley.

Mick saying it's too retro means nothing really. At that time, he would probably have preferred more dancable tracks, coming off the great success with Sweet Thing.

Don Was branding the album as the REAL new Exile, however, wore off to many fans and reporters - gradually it became "the truth" that the Stones tried to re-create Exile.

Musically, it's an insane comparison, imo. Trying to make a varied rock album doesn't have to be retro or covering yourself. And not succeeding with the quality of your material doesn't have to be benchmark whether that's true or not, imo.

They tried to make a good double album, but didn't quite succeed, imo. That's it.

Actually I haven't thought VOODOO LOUNGE ever as a EXILE replica, even though there is that 'let's do different genres' mentality in both. They are just so far from each other: EXILE goes damn deep and original in studying different American musical genres inspiring, and having inspired them, but VOODOO LOUNGE rips off just different styles the band has tried along the years, even "Lady Jane" having a modern reading. They are not inspired by the originals (blues, country, gospel, soul, etc.) but just like "hey, remember when we did this and that, let's try that again". So instead of listening some Muddy, Otis, Hank Williams or whatever records, they sound like have listened their own old records to get the 'inspiration'.

STEEL WHEELS also have a part of that (like any Vegas era album) I admit but it still not so obvious yet.

- Doxa

With The Worst we're at least being introduced for a new musical direction, though. I can't remember the Stones ever been doing country with irish flavour before...

I think Mean Disposition is (in a weird way, though) a very different rocker, at least until Keith kicks in with the guitars toward the ending.

LIS is also different. New chords, a different bridge. We can always discuss how good it is, but we should keep things like this in mind when discussing this.

Although not very good, the tex/mex was also pretty new ground for the Stones.

Can't remember having heard songs like Thru And Thru before either. Maybe there isn't a decent musical bag to put it in? grinning smiley

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 15, 2012 17:04

Doxa
Now, listening the track for some days now, it it still growing on me ... Thank you, Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones.

- Doxa

Glad to read you're diggin' it, Doxa ... All these questions, debates, blah, blah, blah. Talk is cheap.

Getting to the point, we ask ourselves: Is this entertaining? Check.

Period. End o' story. Fun track to listen to, not ground breaking, just fun to groove to.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 15, 2012 17:07

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
I think the only similar things between VL and Exile is:

- Variety
- The double album-format

VL is not more retro than, say, Steel Wheels or other albums (Big exception: B2cool smiley.

Mick saying it's too retro means nothing really. At that time, he would probably have preferred more dancable tracks, coming off the great success with Sweet Thing.

Don Was branding the album as the REAL new Exile, however, wore off to many fans and reporters - gradually it became "the truth" that the Stones tried to re-create Exile.

Musically, it's an insane comparison, imo. Trying to make a varied rock album doesn't have to be retro or covering yourself. And not succeeding with the quality of your material doesn't have to be benchmark whether that's true or not, imo.

They tried to make a good double album, but didn't quite succeed, imo. That's it.

Actually I haven't thought VOODOO LOUNGE ever as a EXILE replica, even though there is that 'let's do different genres' mentality in both. They are just so far from each other: EXILE goes damn deep and original in studying different American musical genres inspiring, and having inspired them, but VOODOO LOUNGE rips off just different styles the band has tried along the years, even "Lady Jane" having a modern reading. They are not inspired by the originals (blues, country, gospel, soul, etc.) but just like "hey, remember when we did this and that, let's try that again". So instead of listening some Muddy, Otis, Hank Williams or whatever records, they sound like have listened their own old records to get the 'inspiration'.

STEEL WHEELS also have a part of that (like any Vegas era album) I admit but it still not so obvious yet.

- Doxa

With The Worst we're at least being introduced for a new musical direction, though. I can't remember the Stones ever been doing country with irish flavour before...

I think Mean Disposition is (in a weird way, though) a very different rocker, at least until Keith kicks in with the guitars toward the ending.

LIS is also different. New chords, a different bridge. We can always discuss how good it is, but we should keep things like this in mind when discussing this.

Although not very good, the tex/mex was also pretty new ground for the Stones.

Can't remember having heard songs like Thru And Thru before either. Maybe there isn't a decent musical bag to put it in? grinning smiley

I guess there are some new musical ideas or experiments if one really starts hard investigation, but it is rather minimal taking the lenght of the album (and as tiresome it is).

- Doxa

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 15, 2012 17:29

Gazza

There are dozens of very good Stones songs which dont sound like 'Stones songs' or where the collaboration between Jagger and Richards is minimal or even non existent. or where Charlie isnt that prominent.

The only thing that matters is whether it's an enjoyable song or not. And it is. The end always justifies the means.

I really dont see why people get wound up and over-analytical about the dynamics over who is too prominent and who isnt heard loudly enough. The fact is that for decades Mick and Keith have not been a songwriting unit in the true sense of the word. In this day and age and with technology being what it is, its quite obvious that when a band sets aside just four days or so to record two songs that whoever wrote the song is going to have already done a sizeable amount of work on it in their home studio and that full band involvement is going to be comparatively minimal. I'd expect 'One More Shot' to be the same, only that it would have more of Keith as he wrote it.

The days of Andrew Oldham locking them in a room and making them bash out a song together are long gone.

That's the way I see it too! We don't have 64 anymore.It's a very good 2012 Stones rocker to me.I even like this kind of lyrics. I mean what can a 70 years Jagger still write?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 15, 2012 19:03

Btw. I searched for it but couldn't find it.Can I anywhere here listen to the ITunes version of the song?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 15, 2012 19:07

TheDailyBuzzherd
Glad to read you're diggin' it, Doxa ... All these questions, debates, blah, blah, blah. Talk is cheap.

Much cheaper than going to a Rolling Stones concert!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 15, 2012 19:31

TheDailyBuzzherd
Doxa
Now, listening the track for some days now, it it still growing on me ... Thank you, Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones.

- Doxa

Period. End o' story. Fun track to listen to, not ground breaking, just fun to groove to.

Objection! You don't practize, according to your own gospel. You reject debates.

But then, without discussion, even without arguement, you conclude! Behind our backs!

Not everything is blind feelings after all, even for you!

We are non the wiser as to the basis for your conclusion!

Cheat, cheat, cheat!

(Maybe, maybe, there should have been a smiley here.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-15 19:50 by Witness.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 15, 2012 20:07

Rip This
stonesnow
Rip This
I don't think I "out patrionized" your comment...."I congratulate them on coming up with what appears to be a minor hit"....but your comment did sound like a whine...having said that...sorry you don't like D&G...I think it's the most fun Mick's had in a while...for once he didn't take himself so seriously (Streets of Love)...can't wait to hear this one live..I bet its a highlight.

There was nothing fretful, distressed, or pained about my post, therefore no "whine" as you incorrectly interpreted my comments--just a difference of opinion is all, a simple matter of taste. There seems to be no tolerance here for those who don't like this new song--everyone must like it, or else. It just proves that the biggest Stones fanatics are also the most reactionary. This "if you don't like this new song, there must be something wrong with you, and you can't be a part of our club" mentality is rather amusing, almost like being back in school. In fact, it borders on hilarity, this putting other posters down because they don't like a new 3-minute pop-dance number, like your approval of it is the gospel. Around here, it's beginning to feel like a badge of honor not to like this song. Still looking forward to the dozen or so Keith-bashing threads to accompany the release of One Last Shot, which I am looking forward to [that is, the song, not the inevitable Keith-bashing threads]. I'll bet a new Keith song will sound more Stones-like than a glorified Mick solo song such as D&G. Looking forward to locking horns with you D&G folk on that topic next month when One Last Shot becomes available to the public.

if your post is directed at me I think it's misdirected....however I find it amusing that you don't see how patronizing your posts are (and that's just one perspective).....that's what I reacted to....don't like the tune?....that's your choice..that's cool...I don't take issue with that...it's what you wrote.

No, I don't consider my posts patronizing at all, especially when I'm merely expressing my honest opinion. However, you may find them patronizing, because you do not see my point of view. In a post, there is what is posted, and there is the reader of what is posted. In that point of encounter, misunderstanding can develop, particularly when one reads into, rather than simply reads, a post. If you take issue with what I post and how I express it, there's nothing I can do about it. It is a forum after all, not a love-fest.

Date: October 15, 2012 20:16

Witness
TheDailyBuzzherd
Doxa

- Doxa

Objection! You don't practize, according to your own gospel. You reject debates.

But then, without discussion, even without arguement, you conclude! Behind our backs!

Not everything is blind feelings after all, even for you!

We are non the wiser as to the basis for your conclusion!

Cheat, cheat, cheat!

(Maybe, maybe, there should have been a smiley here.)

Are we Witness to a murder by logic?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:02

Super cool number! The boys will never cease to amaze me!!

Posted by: StayLoose ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:49

Roll73
Not quite as good as Don't Stop. And that was shit.

Hahahaha!

Date: October 15, 2012 23:53

Hahahaha! Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 16, 2012 03:45

otonneau
Disliked it at first, love it now. And the amazing thing: it's actually the LYRICS that made me love it - now when was the last time this was the case? The lyrics and Jagger's fabulous delivery.

Mixed feelings about it at first, now starting to really enjoy the first couple of minutes of the radio-edit version. Jagger's delivery truly IS fabulous -- stunning, really -- plus those lyrics about crash landing and fighting zombies are waaaaaaay cool, and those fake hand-claps just don't bother me anymore. But I still miss Keith and Charlie, the "guitar solo" is very weak, and IMO the track eventually just runs out of gas.

Drew

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 16, 2012 04:27

drewmaster
otonneau
Disliked it at first, love it now. And the amazing thing: it's actually the LYRICS that made me love it - now when was the last time this was the case? The lyrics and Jagger's fabulous delivery.

Mixed feelings about it at first, now starting to really enjoy the first couple of minutes of the radio-edit version. Jagger's delivery truly IS fabulous -- stunning, really -- plus those lyrics about crash landing and fighting zombies are waaaaaaay cool, and those fake hand-claps just don't bother me anymore. But I still miss Keith and Charlie, the "guitar solo" is very weak, and IMO the track eventually just runs out of gas.

Drew

"Stunning"?

Date: October 16, 2012 10:23

71Tele
drewmaster
otonneau

Drew

Yeah, stunning, I agree. Fabulous singing by Mick, imo. Amazingly good thumbs up

"Stunning"?

Date: October 16, 2012 16:46

stonesnow
Rip This
stonesnow
Rip This
I don't think I "out patrionized" your comment...."I congratulate them on coming up with what appears to be a minor hit"....but your comment did sound like a whine...having said that...sorry you don't like D&G...I think it's the most fun Mick's had in a while...for once he didn't take himself so seriously (Streets of Love)...can't wait to hear this one live..I bet its a highlight.

There was nothing fretful, distressed, or pained about my post, therefore no "whine" as you incorrectly interpreted my comments--just a difference of opinion is all, a simple matter of taste. There seems to be no tolerance here for those who don't like this new song--everyone must like it, or else. It just proves that the biggest Stones fanatics are also the most reactionary. This "if you don't like this new song, there must be something wrong with you, and you can't be a part of our club" mentality is rather amusing, almost like being back in school. In fact, it borders on hilarity, this putting other posters down because they don't like a new 3-minute pop-dance number, like your approval of it is the gospel. Around here, it's beginning to feel like a badge of honor not to like this song. Still looking forward to the dozen or so Keith-bashing threads to accompany the release of One Last Shot, which I am looking forward to [that is, the song, not the inevitable Keith-bashing threads]. I'll bet a new Keith song will sound more Stones-like than a glorified Mick solo song such as D&G. Looking forward to locking horns with you D&G folk on that topic next month when One Last Shot becomes available to the public.

if your post is directed at me I think it's misdirected....however I find it amusing that you don't see how patronizing your posts are (and that's just one perspective).....that's what I reacted to....don't like the tune?....that's your choice..that's cool...I don't take issue with that...it's what you wrote.

No, I don't consider my posts patronizing at all, especially when I'm merely expressing my honest opinion. However, you may find them patronizing, because you do not see my point of view. In a post, there is what is posted, and there is the reader of what is posted. In that point of encounter, misunderstanding can develop, particularly when one reads into, rather than simply reads, a post. If you take issue with what I post and how I express it, there's nothing I can do about it. It is a forum after all, not a love-fest.

Date: October 16, 2012 16:46

I've got the youtube Doom And Gloom bookmarked. If I click on it and then go off the page, it counts as a view! Over 2 million now. Who'd've thunk 15 years ago (or maybe less) that views on a video mean it's successful, instead of a actual charting based on sales.

I've listened to it a couple of times. I guess I'm getting used to that stupid zooming bass thing and the silly drums continually beating. LP version is still a GRRRzillion times better.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 16, 2012 16:56

Thank God we are not getting "vault tracks" anymore. If Plunder my Soul was a new song I don't know what i would do....maybe cry.

Date: October 16, 2012 16:56

This is great! A crap(apart from Jagger's vocal) new song from another greatest hits album and ticket prices funnier than a kick in the head.
Now i love blase, corporate and out of touch piss-take as much as the next person but this is beyond all expectation.
Now just gotta decide whether to sell one of my Gibsons and go to see a band that can hardly play without sidemen anymore or buy tickets for 2/3 gigs on the upcoming Jim Jones Revue tour and enjoy some passionate and heartfelt rock n roll with enough dosh left over to get trolleyed in the bar.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 16, 2012 17:06

More Hot Rocks
Thank God we are not getting "vault tracks" anymore. If Plunder my Soul was a new song I don't know what i would do....maybe cry.
So pretty much what you usually do here?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 16, 2012 17:07

StayLoose
This is great! A crap(apart from Jagger's vocal) new song from another greatest hits album and ticket prices funnier than a kick in the head.
Now i love blase, corporate and out of touch piss-take as much as the next person but this is beyond all expectation.
Now just gotta decide whether to sell one of my Gibsons and go to see a band that can hardly play without sidemen anymore or buy tickets for 2/3 gigs on the upcoming Jim Jones Revue tour and enjoy some passionate and heartfelt rock n roll with enough dosh left over to get trolleyed in the bar.

Let us know when you make your decision

Date: October 16, 2012 17:11

More Hot Rocks

Hmmmm. Let's see. Plundered, even though it was finished 300 years later, is still a gazillion times better than Doom And Gloom. They have a gazillion other songs they could finish that are better than Gloom And Doom, with a billion of those from the SOME GIRLS sessions alone.

Not sure your point was pointy enough. Rather dull. Maybe you need to go see how cold the Thames River is?

Date: October 16, 2012 17:15

Why-you interested in Jim Jones tickets?

Date: October 16, 2012 17:17

treaclefingers
StayLoose

Why-You interested in Jim Jones tickets?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-16 17:18 by StayLoose.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 16, 2012 17:37

StayLoose
treaclefingers
StayLoose

Wot, you're not drinking the Kool Aid yet?

Date: October 16, 2012 18:13

treaclefingers
StayLoose
treaclefingers
StayLoose

Wot, you're not drinking the Kool Aid yet?

Date: October 16, 2012 18:15

Didnt think so-you were just being pompous and tryin to be clever weren't you?

I'll leave the Kool Aid to you and yer friends when you're groovin to Coldplay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-16 18:18 by StayLoose.

Date: October 16, 2012 18:18

Yeah, I prefer the "Grrr ..." version too. The YouTube® version has a great pounding drum,
but it's on top of Charlie. Mix is better on the former too, no one's buried.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 16, 2012 23:22

Fantastic song! I love it! Can't sit still with this one! They still got it! And that beat... just great! Jagger is back, Charlie is back, Ronnie and Keith are back!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 39 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home