Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 35 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2012 04:46

Rip This
...frack me...it's gotten 1,183,624 hits now...

That's frackin' unbelievable. Frackin' rights!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 13, 2012 05:29

flilflam
GravityBoy
Damn!!!

Someone beat me to it.

This sucks. Only Keith can play it the way it is supposed to be played.

What about Mick?

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: October 13, 2012 05:46

i like the tune, but it hurts my ears, as did ABB, what is it with this digital stuff, i dont like it al all

Date: October 13, 2012 06:45

liddas
Rockman
OK Rockman, you're starting to abuse that 'Fracking' bit.

HEY!!! ...if jamesfdouglous can tell us ninety times that he
saw the Stones back in '89 then surely I can play with frackin' for a day or two

Frack'em Rockman, its a FRACKIN' great release!

What the frack!

C

ROCK'N'FRACKIN''ROLL!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 13, 2012 06:48

clickety frack clickety frack clickety frack clickety frack
Well I hear that train a frackin... It's frackin round the bend

Date: October 13, 2012 06:57

Max'sKansasCity

Are you stuck in Frackin' prison? That means your water is poison-ed.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 13, 2012 06:59

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Max'sKansasCity

Are you stuck in Frackin' prison? That means your water is poison-ed.

Well I know I had it frackin, I know I can't be frackin
But those people keep a frackin' And that's what frackins me...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 13, 2012 08:29

OK, I listened to it some more and I like it better. Still sounds more like a solo Jagger track than a Stones song to me though.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 13, 2012 09:54

Same here, it's ok if it's a Jagger solo song because I wouldnt expect him to do better.

Date: October 13, 2012 09:55

treaclefingers
Rip This
...frack me...it's gotten 1,183,624 hits now...

That's frackin' unbelievable. Frackin' rights!

Because it's the Stones. Had it said Jaggers new solo song it owuld have gotten a lot of hits on youtube and no sales.

Date: October 13, 2012 09:59

bv
Doom and Gloom will be fantastic live. It is great as it is now, but it will top itself when the "boys" do it live on stage. I am sure. And we will know for sure in a few weeks time.

Hm, yeah actually it might work great as a live song but I still feel that the lyrics, the refrain, is weak. The riff and the drums grows on me though.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 13, 2012 10:32

KRiffhard
Are you sure DeeGee?!
And what about the horrible 'Everybody getting high'?? Unfortunately 'Goddess' style is very present in 'Gloom and Doom' sad smiley
Listen and then tell me:

This isn't exactly breaking news. The same guy who wrote "Everybody Getting High" wrote "Doom and Gloom." So I'm not really surprised that they sound alike.

"Everybody Getting High" is the best example to illustrate just how wrong "Doom and Gloom" could have gone. This also refers to my (and Doxa's) post earlier regarding Mick usually going too far with the electronic gimmicks over the actual instrumentation in a song. The radio edit of "Doom and Gloom" has just enough balance where it teeters right in between the two sides of the spectrum but in the end, still sounds like the band. "Everybody Gettin High" is clinical, generic and very, very cold. "Doom and Gloom" at least has some charm and the band's personality coming through.

"Doom and Gloom" isn't a masterpiece but one thing we should recognize is that the Stones (or maybe just Mick) had a very specific vision for this song and they executed it perfectly, ending up with exactly the results they wanted. We've been waiting for them to finally get behind something, to actually get some balls and design a single that has enough elements to compete with any other contemporary artists in 2012 and this is the closest they've actually gotten in a very long time.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 13, 2012 10:33

One for Rockman.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 13, 2012 11:09

average song, would be a good track on ABB.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 13, 2012 11:17

treaclefingers
GravityBoy
In fact.. I think it's the best thing they released since Start Me Up.

I prefer Undercover of the Night, Too Tough , Plundered My Soul, Most of the Some Girls Deluxe, and Under The Radar, Dangerous Beauty and She Saw Me Coming.

Having said that, this a helluva good track!

Yes, agree. Doom & Gloom is OK, but in my opinion, it simply doesn't possess the magic that Plundered My Soul, most of the Some Girls deluxe, and as you point out - She Saw Me Coming - all do.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: October 13, 2012 15:05

I've listened a couple of times now. Good song! cool smiley

Date: October 13, 2012 15:38

71Tele
OK, I listened to it some more and I like it better. Still sounds more like a solo Jagger track than a Stones song to me though.

Welcome...now, just take this dixie cup, sit down, take a sip and lie back.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 13, 2012 15:52

paulywaul
treaclefingers
GravityBoy
In fact.. I think it's the best thing they released since Start Me Up.

I prefer Undercover of the Night, Too Tough , Plundered My Soul, Most of the Some Girls Deluxe, and Under The Radar, Dangerous Beauty and She Saw Me Coming.

Having said that, this a helluva good track!

Yes, agree. Doom & Gloom is OK, but in my opinion, it simply doesn't possess the magic that Plundered My Soul, most of the Some Girls deluxe, and as you point out - She Saw Me Coming - all do.

The song has at the outset a family resemblance with some other songs, throwing an interesting light into the factory of the creating process. However, where the song starts from the neighbourhood of these other songs (not the above quoted ones), to my ears it departs from there and is shifted remarkedly in character in the direction of one other specific song, somewhat slower though. Do I then state that is better than so many songs? That is a difficult question. This is not mathematics, where A greater than B and B greater than C, means that A is greater than C. In the logic of taste it is not always that A is better than B, B is better than C means that A must be better than C (One form of rationality, according to the socalled axiom of transivity and some other axioms, that one can doubt, without ending up as a thoroughly irrational person in any respect)

Where NME will have it that
«It sounds like a ‘Gimme Shelter’ for Generation Wii»,

an alternative today flashed through my mind, relating to the album version. It is a point of view that will challenge many posters. To me now the album version, where I started out valuing the radio mix slightly higher, has started to possess of the same kind of magic that will persuade me to change the words of NME. It was such a shocking discovery (if I have not been lead astray, is it certain that I have?) that I felt a need to look into the logic of comparisons above.

Well then (I don't know too much of this «Generation Wii» though), my alternative statement
«It sounds like a ‘Street Fighting Man’ for Generation Wii»

My first impression was that "Doom And Gloom" was vintage 2012 Rolling Stones. Now I have to modify that verdict. It is simply, without date, one vintage Rolling Stones song!

Addition: This original post was written before I now read Doxa compare Mick's outlooks in the thread "Mick's Personal Philosophy Evident in Doom And Gloom" with "Street Fighting Man". Otherwise I would have quoted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 16:30 by Witness.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 13, 2012 17:13

71Tele

too much koolaid for you

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 13, 2012 17:20

4 more listens achieved.

Nice track

Solo Jagger could never have come up with this

Date: October 13, 2012 17:23

StonesTod
71Tele

too much koolaid for you

is that even a thing? really, can there be too much koolaid?

Date: October 13, 2012 17:29

treaclefingers
StonesTod
71Tele

too much koolaid for you

it's a thing

Date: October 13, 2012 17:45

treaclefingers
StonesTod
71Tele

too much koolaid for you

If it overflows then yes, too much Kool Aid.

Date: October 13, 2012 17:50

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
StonesTod
71Tele

too much koolaid for you

If it overflows then yes, too much Kool Aid.

don't let your cup runneth over

Date: October 13, 2012 18:12

GravityBoy
One for Rockman.

Excellent.

Date: October 13, 2012 18:19

Shouldn't this thread name be changed to simply DOOM AND GLOOM since it's not that this Thursday anymore?

Date: October 13, 2012 18:50

treaclefingers
71Tele

I didn't say I was ready to dring the Kool Aid, treacle. But if you catch me saying this is the greatest thing sice "Start Me Up" you'll know all is lost.

Date: October 13, 2012 19:37

71Tele
treaclefingers
71Tele

I didn't say I was ready to dring the Kool Aid, treacle. But if you catch me saying this is the greatest thing sice "Start Me Up" you'll know all is lost.

You'd actually have to say 'this is the greatest thing since Exile' for you to be completely lost, technically.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: October 13, 2012 20:36

I like this song!! And guess what, it's on no6 on the Greek itunes chart, heading right for the top. That is reaaaaally strange!!!! People know the Stones in Greece, of course, but let's face the facts. The last time they played live in Greece was in 1998, and before that it was in 1967...., the last stop of their European tour.

Date: October 13, 2012 20:43

treaclefingers
71Tele
treaclefingers
71Tele

You'd actually have to say 'this is the greatest thing since Exile' for you to be completely lost, technically.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's the greatest thing since the last middling, formulaic Stones release.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 35 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home