Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: October 12, 2012 02:37

Changed my mind. It's awesome.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 12, 2012 02:41

OK, I’m a little late to the party, story of my life, but the bottom line for me is I really like it. Had my headphones on during breaks at work listening to it and I couldn’t stop tapping my foot and bopping my head. I don’t have the skill to break it down musically, but I read a lot of the back and forth: Charlie is on it, no it’s a drum machine, it’s all Mick on guitar, no it’s all Ron, Keith isn’t there at all, yes he is, what about the wobble, who cares, best thing since some girls, no it’s too modern, you’re an a-hole, no you are... I really love this place.grinning smiley

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM…BABY WON’T YOU DANCE WITH ME. YEAH, YEAH ,YEAH!

Date: October 12, 2012 02:57

Can they do a song with a killer guitar solo that is over 30 seconds for a change!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:11

The moral? Stay out of Sierra Blanca and more than 50 miles away from the coast

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:16

I just listened to the last three Stones singles=PMS, NSP and now Doom. All I can say is that Doom combined with ABB and the four 2002 tracks show that, for better or worse, the band has attempted to redefine their sound for the digital age. There is a mechanical sound to all their 2000's material, that reflects the Pro Tools era.

Although they've stripped down their sound to an almost garage-rock aesthetic, that attempt is undercut by them relying too much on technology in the recording and mixing process (not helped at all by the ridiculous "brickwalling" labels use nowadays). Despite their sparse output in the 21st century, the 2000's Stones have a distinctly different sound than the 20th century model. "Doom And Gloom" is the apex of this so far, particularly the lyric version.

The sad part is that Mick didn't really have to go so far to redefine the essence of the band's sound. The qualities and subtleties which made Plundered as well as No Spare Parts Stones songs are still appreciated by music fans and bands. Doom And Gloom is like Mick's "One Last Shot" at a hit and he's tried so hard to make it that, and the band sound current, that he's lost the simple ingredients that makes a Stones song. Which is that subtle interplay between the various instruments, the slightly off-beat rhythm and the rich sound of the instruments in the mix as well as groove. None of those things are present in Doom And Gloom, it's dance song you can't dance to! And for the most part, that applies to the Stones recorded 21st century output.

On it's own, Doom And Gloom isn't a bad song but despite having the ingredients (harp, organ, guitars, drums, defiant vocals) which has helped define the Stones sound it sounds nothing like anything they've done before. And that necessarily isn't a good thing.

Date: October 12, 2012 03:18

Who's Driving Your Plane?
Can they do a song with a killer guitar solo that is over 30 seconds for a change!

Greetings, Time Traveler from 1974! We regret to inform you that such extravagance might be bad for business in 2012, as today's mass market music consumer has no patience for such nonsense.

P.S. Mick Taylor quits the band. Yeah, like, as soon as you get back. No, I'm not joking.

Date: October 12, 2012 03:20

I want my MTV

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:23

Max'sKansasCity
I want my MTV

Would you settle for K-TEL?

Date: October 12, 2012 03:28

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
I want my MTV

Wait, arent they the same thing?

Date: October 12, 2012 03:28

big4
On it's own, Doom And Gloom isn't a bad song but despite having the ingredients (harp, organ, guitars, drums, defiant vocals) which has helped define the Stones sound it sounds nothing like anything they've done before. And that necessarily isn't a good thing.

I don't know, because I wasn't there, but Fool to Cry or Emotional Rescue or even Miss You had to come as a shock to some. The last one became pretty popular, so I'm told. But they are all cannon now.

Date: October 12, 2012 03:33

Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
I want my MTV

Efforting. Back to you.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:38

Sipuncula
big4

I don't know, because I wasn't there, but Fool to Cry or Emotional Rescue or even Miss You had to come as a shock to some. The last one became pretty popular, so I'm told. But they are all cannon now.

And all those songs have that interplay and music dynamic I was speaking of, on Doom And Gloom, each instrument sounds like it's on it's own island, and there is no groove to the song or swing. All three of those songs had groove and swing. I don't dislike the song but it lacks the subtlties that made those songs canon.

Date: October 12, 2012 03:40

Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
Munichhilton
Max'sKansasCity
I want my MTV

Efforting. Back to you.

All I know think is that they were never seen in public together at the same time and place.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:43

Tried listening to it again,still nothing really stands out, it could be an ABB outtake,very average song,they may play it live a couple of times,as they did Rough Justice,and then replace it with a warhorse...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:46

WOW! People are talking, 12 pages when I left the house this morning >grinning smiley<

It certainly did not top THIS recent release>

grinning smiley

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:52

well, i like it...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:56

big4
I just listened to the last three Stones singles=PMS, NSP and now Doom. All I can say is that Doom combined with ABB and the four 2002 tracks show that, for better or worse, the band has attempted to redefine their sound for the digital age. There is a mechanical sound to all their 2000's material, that reflects the Pro Tools era.

Although they've stripped down their sound to an almost garage-rock aesthetic, that attempt is undercut by them relying too much on technology in the recording and mixing process (not helped at all by the ridiculous "brickwalling" labels use nowadays). Despite their sparse output in the 21st century, the 2000's Stones have a distinctly different sound than the 20th century model. "Doom And Gloom" is the apex of this so far, particularly the lyric version.

I don't think you can say that if you've heard the i tunes version which kicks ass on a kick ass dance tune from them that we haven't had in a very ....very....long time...I like it yes I do.

The sad part is that Mick didn't really have to go so far to redefine the essence of the band's sound. The qualities and subtleties which made Plundered as well as No Spare Parts Stones songs are still appreciated by music fans and bands. Doom And Gloom is like Mick's "One Last Shot" at a hit and he's tried so hard to make it that, and the band sound current, that he's lost the simple ingredients that makes a Stones song. Which is that subtle interplay between the various instruments, the slightly off-beat rhythm and the rich sound of the instruments in the mix as well as groove. None of those things are present in Doom And Gloom, it's dance song you can't dance to! And for the most part, that applies to the Stones recorded 21st century output.

I don't think you can say that if you've heard the itunes version which kicks ass on the kick ass dance tune...jagger sounds great....better than a long time...no ennunciation "issues" either....glad they put it out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 04:04 by Rip This.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:56

Was the 'radio' mix actually different than the track on itunes?

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: October 12, 2012 03:58

Sipuncula
Who's Driving Your Plane?

Greetings, Time Traveler from 1974! We regret to inform you that such extravagance might be bad for business in 2012, as today's mass market music consumer has no patience for such nonsense.

P.S. Mick Taylor quits the band. Yeah, like, as soon as you get back. No, I'm not joking.

i was thinking the same thing...but not in a jokey way...the reason is...Ron Wood is not capable of such a feat...he is there because he is the yes man...he plays too much like Keith...he was never known as a solo guy....the last time a Rolling Stones LP had a truly decent guitar solo on it was Black & Blue...and technically Tattoo You....just cuz of the reasons we all know...

it's obvious that Mick and Keith don't troll the messageboards....cuz if they did we would've have Gimme All Your Shelter as their last gasp...

which would be the appropriate title for this ripoff of a compilation...

The Rolling Stones...Last Gasppppppppppppppppp....

Date: October 12, 2012 03:58

flacnvinyl
Was the 'radio' mix actually different than the track on itunes?

Yessir

Date: October 12, 2012 04:19

Time traveler? Bad for Business?
Do you really think this is going to be played on the radio?
Do you really think this greatest hits package is going to move over 1 million copies?

Step right up and win some crap!!!!

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 12, 2012 04:21

It will hit one million...eventually.

Date: October 12, 2012 04:23

MrMonte
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
MrMonte, the iTunes version is The Rolling Stones. Charlie is Charlie on the iTunes version.

The youtube version is not...the Stones.

Then how in hell do I get to hear the Itunes version? I don't use I-Tunes. The more I listen to the Youtube one the more I despise it, but I am willing to hear the alternate version that everyone commends.

Sorry MrMonte. I posted something BV did not want prior to seeing his post. You will have to find it some other way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 04:27 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Date: October 12, 2012 04:26

bv
IMPORTANT!

Please do NOT use IORR to distribute links to illegal download addresses for "Doom And Gloom". It is an official track and you are supposed to buy it, not distribute illegal links here. If you do not respect that simple rule - has been here on IORR for years - then I must close the posting access to the person who abuse their privileges here.

I have deleted and edited some 30 illegal links here this afternoon, I am not spending more time on that now. I will start deleting the source of the posts. The posting access.

And in case you disagree. The option would be I close down IORR. This is up to you. To respect the rules of IORR.

Thanks!

Sorry BV. I started my previous response a while ago and then stepped away to eat supper and then got back to it without seeing that the thread had another however many pages yet alone that you posted this; I reposted the link I believe you were alluding to. I will edit it.

Date: October 12, 2012 04:29

phd
peoplewitheyes
here`s a positive review from NME:nme review
Yep. Stones as WII generation !!!!

Double yew eye eye? Or did you mean WW2?

Date: October 12, 2012 04:31

steverogan
Munichhilton
jamesfdouglas
steverogan
The song initially caught my attention but soon sounded like nothing fresh or different; the sound to me,is reminiscent of the ABB album.. I know I am not one of the appointed experts on the subject here,if I want it as part of my collection, I'll record it off "you tube" into Adobe Audition.Way too much hype for one song which after played several times will fade into obscurity.

No one is an expert here, our opinoins are our own. Some may share them, others may not. But don't let some people's arrogance or post-policing make you feel that your own opinions aren't JUST as valid.

I don't think anyone asked your opinion james

I know no-one here is an expert. Music is subjective like art.And, as in the art world, certain people like to portray themselves as experts,and try to tell us what we should like or should consider good work v bad work. Opinions are like @#$%&.Everyone has at least one.

Keep yer opinions to yerselves if no one asked for yer opinions when asked for yer opinion on being an expert about somethign you know nothing about expertly.

Date: October 12, 2012 04:35

ChefGuevara
I officaly like this song.

I hope it will naturally find its way into
my playlists in years to come.

I officially admire you officially like this song. I like it too. Is it great? I'm not gonna go off on some 'they should do/should've done something like (enter late 60s/early 70s song title here)' because it seems that MOST OF US KNOW that was then and this is now, again, which hasn't changed for quite a while.

Date: October 12, 2012 04:36

StonesTod
Blueranger
This band has given us a lifetime of music.

what about most of the last 15 years? don't those years of our lives count???

Are you sure it's 15? 2005 was...7 years ago. Prior to that it was..., well, let's see...how long. Ahhh. 1997.

Well.

That is 15 years. Huh.

Date: October 12, 2012 04:37

bv
IMPORTANT!

Please do NOT use IORR to distribute links to illegal download addresses for "Doom And Gloom". It is an official track and you are supposed to buy it, not distribute illegal links here. If you do not respect that simple rule - has been here on IORR for years - then I must close the posting access to the person who abuse their privileges here.

I have deleted and edited some 30 illegal links here this afternoon, I am not spending more time on that now. I will start deleting the source of the posts. The posting access.

And in case you disagree. The option would be I close down IORR. This is up to you. To respect the rules of IORR.

Thanks!

I admit - I saw one link and I don't know if it was illegal but 30? Wow. Didn't see those!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 12, 2012 04:38

..it's only doom and gloom but.....well, you know.. nobody does a track like this better than the Stones....jamming, fun, lightweight, meaningless, meat and potatoes rock and roll with attitude and a bit of swagger. Not gonna change the world but a welcome relief to the avalanche of pure $#@%^& out there these days....and i like it...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2186
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home