Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 40
Re: "Doom And Gloom" Will Be Released This THURSDAY
Date: October 11, 2012 10:34

Erik_Snow
I am late. Anybody has a link to somewhere one could listen to the song ?

I couldn't find one. They played it twice on the show, though. Very good song, imo!

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:34

Very glad to have stayed up for this. What a trip! A old school band can still provide musical excitemnet such as this. I loved it!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 10:51 by Borncrosseyed.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:36

So it took them 7 years to release Rough Justice Pt.2?
The song ain't bad but I've heard it before.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:37

vudicus
Ok, I know I'm going to get a fair amount of abuse for this but still....

First of all, it's a good song. Could've been amazing.

However I am not impressed at all with the pro-tools cut and paste type recording. All the guitars are cut and pasted. The drums are looped. Ugly.

Was Charlie not available that week?
Are we not able to record one complete take of a song these days?
I'm running out of reasons to tell myself these guys shouldn't hang it up.
I never wanted to be one of those people. These guys are my heroes.

Please don't try and convince me this recording technique is an artistic one.
It's really not.

I like the track, it indeed is a raunchy ZZ Top kind of track. But indeed I don't think Charlie was available that week, nor where Keith and Ron....

Hey, I have been saying that for months....

Mathijs

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:38

Liked it from the very first second ... guys, that's a new Stones song!!! And it's not 1972, it's 2012!!!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:38

Mathijs
vudicus

However I am not impressed at all with the pro-tools cut and paste type recording. All the guitars are cut and pasted. The drums are looped. Ugly.

It's really not.

I like the track, it indeed is a raunchy ZZ Top kind of track. But indeed I don't think Charlie was available that week, nor where Keith and Ron....

Mathijs

When I listen to the song, I hear "Can't you hear me knocking" type drums and biting guitars, but they're just not there.
I know that's treading old ground, but the song just sounds like a really great demo to me. Waiting for the Stones pixie dust.

Re: DOOM AND GLOOM
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:39

Justin
stonesnow
Justin
stonesnow
The 2 new songs are nothing to get excited about, because they are wasted on a compilation, and comps notoriously go out of print after a few years. Like Forty Licks. Can anyone name any other songs besides the 4 on Forty Licks that are unavailable due to having gone out of print? Add these 2 new GRRR! songs to the wasteland of obscurity, soon enough anyway. The only way to guarantee a permanent shelf life for songs is to put them on new original albums, which are forever available. The 2 new GRRR! songs are like McDonald's cheeseburgers--more anticipation than satiation. Maybe they'll taste great at first, then the bloated after-effects of all that greasy processed filler will set in, and you'll be back to real "food" again before you know it.

Nice try.

By your logic, all the songs on "A Bigger Bang" were solid gold and "something to get excited about" just because they were released on a studio album and not a compilation. If Mick and Keith wanted to do an album--they would have. But they aren't. They had 2 tunes ready to go and submitted it for the compilation. You don't sit and write a song and determine what kind of quality it should be based on if it will be on a compilation or a studio album.

No, I was merely pointing out that comps go out of print and these songs won't be available after GRRR! goes the way of Made In The Shade and Sucking In The Seventies, and you can be sure the Stones know this. By their inclusion on a short-lived compilation, the Stones are just throwing away 2 new songs. Your interpretation of my logic is faulty, because those are your words in your post, not mine. My point is, A Bigger Bang is still sitting there in the record store bin whether you think the songs are good or not, along with every other original Stones album (several throwaway songs in the back catalog, but they're still available), whereas Forty Licks and many other comps of its ilk are not. And these 2 new songs--just a gimmick to shift old product--will not prolong the shelf life of GRRR! Nice try yourself.

You were too busy trying to be a badass that you lost your point of view in your posts. Oooh a "fan" who doesn't care about new Stones music?---oh scared of you.

You were not just "merely pointing out that comps go out of print." Your post was going on about how the two new songs were nothing to get excited about and your justification for that was they were going to be on a compilation and not a real album. Who the hell cares if they're on a compilation? What's your point? "Everything Is Turning To Gold" wasn't available for a while on "Sucking IN the Seventies" but it is still available to purchase--was that a throwaway too?

You asked for other songs that were made available once but are now out of print and kowalski gave you the two off the special edition ABB: "Under The Radar" and "We Don't Wanna Go Home." (Last time I checked, "Under The Radar" was a song much celebrated on this board. But I guess they weren't really that great because they're on an out of print product?) Instead of admitting you were talking out of your ass, you sidestep your original point and go on about how fans were duped into buying the same product twice. What the ffuck does that have to do with your original question? Who cares if a song is still available in stores? What does that have to do with the song being good?

Your argument is shite and you were just looking for an excuse to run your mouth off. You are of course free to do so--but not without me calling your crap. "Doom and Gloom" is most likely not going to be a masterpeice---and to that I say, who really cares?

My hero...

Re: DOOM AND GLOOM
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()

edit

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 00:24 by Erik_Snow.

Mathijs
vudicus

It's really not.

Mathijs

Well, the intro sounds like Keith to me. The licks are definitely Ronnie, maybe with the exception of the melody line guitar in the bridges, that might be Mick.

I think it is Charlie, but heavily supported by sequencers. Still, there are some drum rolls in there that doesn't sound like him at all...

Posted by: erikjjf ()

Date: October 11, 2012 10:40

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
I am late. Anybody has a link to somewhere one could listen to the song ?

I couldn't find one. They played it twice on the show, though. Very good song, imo!

Thanks, DP, sounds promising

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:41

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 10:42 by Borncrosseyed.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:42

Vudicus nailed it, it doesnt seem like they recorded it all the way through.

And is that really Warren Buffet on drums?

What made them who they are is playing the same song over and over until it was just where they wanted it.

Not sure they can stand each other enough to do that anymore, or too many chiefs and everyone is on their guard to do it again and again and its easier to just say, "thats a wrap", especially for Keith when its a Mick song and if Mick is done I dont see Keith saying "lets keep going until i feel its done" as he cant risk getting on Micks bad side as it could throw off all the momentum of the gigs happening, which would devestate Keith.

@#$%& politics between band members is such a drag, and it kills so many good bands. This band has too much at stake, so they cant fold the tent just yet, so we get half assed efforts from the studio, which is what this seems like to me in a way.

At least they can still bring it live, I hope, but four weeks of rehearsals after five years seems short, but maybe appropriate for only 4-5 gigs for now, and then if Branson ponies up the cash we'll get some more shows in 2013.

Guess we'll all get to see the live product soon enough, and this one should sound better after they play it more, and all the way through, without Warren Buffet.

It's Ok, but since when is OK acceptable for The Stones?

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:43

The song is now available via ITUNES - search it, go into the album and there you can download it. Just did it!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:44

Well we have to remember that the track was produced mixed by Jeff Bhaskar, a producer who's well versed in pop working with acts such as Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Brandy and Robin Thicke among many others. Everything about the production is very not Stonesy (aka modern). Charlie comes through here as clearly as he did with "Undercover Of The Night." No reason to believe it isn't him. Him being cut up and looped? Possibly true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 10:48 by Justin.

Date: October 11, 2012 10:45

Justin
Well we have to remember that the track was produced by Jeff Bhaskar, a producer who's well versed in pop working with acts such as Kanye West, Bruno Mars, Brandy and Robin Thicke among many others. Everything about the production is very not Stonesy (aka modern). Charlie comes through here as clearly as he did with "Undercover Of The Night." No reason to believe it isn't him. Him being cut up and looped? Possibly true.

Didn't Mick say "AND the mix by Jeff Bhaskar is great"?

I thought his mix might be the re-mix that comes with the single?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:46

WOW eric, that's quick

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2012 10:47

Thanks Erik.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:48

Posted by: OneHit ()

Any chance that was a radio edit and we'll get a different one on GRRR? Would explain the two producers theory.

Posted by: wildwildhorses ()

loved it !!
great driving rocker, kind of took me "you got me rocking" in a way,
whhich I like.
great job.
feel real happy to hear a new tune,
you guys rock !

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:50

Oh man...that middle part with that solo from Ronnie is great. Your head starts to sway...it totally feels like I'm listening to The Black Keys just for that moment.

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:52

It sounds like Rough Justice, but better. Mostly, Mick's singing is better than in RJ.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:54

OneHit
Any chance that was a radio edit and we'll get a different one on GRRR? Would explain the two producers theory.

The iTunes version (from Grrr!) is 3:59 while the radio edit version is 4:08. Haven't compared the sound of them yet.

Posted by: stonesnow ()

Mathijs
vudicus

It's really not.

Mathijs

But they were all seen exiting the studio together, which they were only in for a week.....Hmmmm....I'd say this is the weakest lead Stones single since Mixed Emotions....no melody, no hook, flat vocals which makes the lyrics forgettable, trendy dated "drum" sound which means in 10-20 years this will sound as awful and dated as Dirty Work sounds now....next to this track, Mixed Emotions is a classic, and in fact Mixed Emotions is a clunker....well, at least this tune will die a deserved death on a short-lived compilation....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-11 10:57 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Beast ()

Wow - was not expecting anything that good, to be honest. Love it! That will be a great song to hear live.

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: October 11, 2012 10:55

Overall not bad, but Jagger's way of singing reminds me of Rough Justice from ABB. Maybe it's an outtake from those sessions, who actually said that it's a completely fresh thing and has been recorded recently?

Date: October 11, 2012 10:56

Mnn...

Except for Brown Sugar or Start me up kind of songs, this one as any other stones song must be tasted several times along the following days.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 11, 2012 11:04

Had a dream last night, I was piloting a plane
All of the passengers were drunk and insane...

If you want Mick's autobiography, read some lyrics!

Anyway - apart from sounding more ZZ Top than any Rolling Stones single has a right to, I like it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 11, 2012 11:06

I'm really happy to hear a new Stones tune smileys with beer ...but it seems a Mick's solo song and a 'Goddes in the doorway' outtake sad smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home