Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Pete Townshend- Who I Am book club
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 10, 2012 16:47

RollingFreak
whitem8
Thanks Rollingfreak for the good wishes. Yeah, that performance of A Quick One on Rock and Roll Circus is AMAZING! one of my favorite live Who clips (that and Baba 'O Riley on Kids are All Right). THey are in the zone, and stole the show. Too bad they only did one song on it, it would have been great to hear them do Happy Jack or I'm a Boy.
Agreed. Sorry for the Stones, because I've always thought they were great there (love that version of Sympathy and early Can't Always Get What You Want and the other Beggars stuff is fantastic), but The Who were just on fire there. Wish they could have played more. And those clips are pretty much their definitive ones, although I would add in Won't Get Fooled Again from The Kids Are Alright. Its alittle staged, but I've always thought if you wanted to know what the Who was all about, that clip explains it all:

I remember dragging a friend of mine to see The Kids Are Alright when it first came out in 1979. He was a big Led Zeppelin fan, not that much into the Who, but when he saw Pete slide across the stage on his knees during WGFA, he had what can only be called an epiphany. This is what rock and roll is supposed to be. "When they come to the Garden," he said, "we're going." And so we did. Btw, the book's photos include a great full-page shot of Pete onstage at the Garden in '79.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2012 16:59

tatters
RollingFreak
whitem8
Thanks Rollingfreak for the good wishes. Yeah, that performance of A Quick One on Rock and Roll Circus is AMAZING! one of my favorite live Who clips (that and Baba 'O Riley on Kids are All Right). THey are in the zone, and stole the show. Too bad they only did one song on it, it would have been great to hear them do Happy Jack or I'm a Boy.
Agreed. Sorry for the Stones, because I've always thought they were great there (love that version of Sympathy and early Can't Always Get What You Want and the other Beggars stuff is fantastic), but The Who were just on fire there. Wish they could have played more. And those clips are pretty much their definitive ones, although I would add in Won't Get Fooled Again from The Kids Are Alright. Its alittle staged, but I've always thought if you wanted to know what the Who was all about, that clip explains it all:

I remember dragging a friend of mine to see The Kids Are Alright when it first came out in 1979. He was a big Led Zeppelin fan, not that much into the Who, but when he saw Pete slide across the stage on his knees during WGFA, he had what can only be called an epiphany. This is what rock and roll is supposed to be. "When they come to the Garden," he said, "we're going." And so we did. Btw, the book's photos include a great full-page shot of Pete onstage at the Garden in '79.
Agreed. That image with the slide and the shot of the full band is one of the greatest images in rock and roll history. That is definitely my ultimate Who clip and is up there with the best of them when I want to explain rock to someone. I have always thought the Who are a tad overrated, but you watch that clip and think "well they certainly had their moment at one point!" and that can almost explain why they aren't overrated. Very cool story about the Garden too!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 10, 2012 17:11

tatters
RollingFreak
whitem8

Always loved Pete's slide! Saw the Who at MSG around 1974, remember Pete stepping on his guitar cord while he was raising his guitar up which resulted in the cord coming out and falling to the ground. Don't know why he didn't put it though the guitar strap. Great concert, glad I went.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I will ask it here - anyone have the six CD Lifehouse Chronicles box set released 2000 and what is your opinion? Always wanted to get it. I assume Pete will talk about the initial failure of this project which resulted in the "Who's Next" album in his book.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 10, 2012 21:48

2000 LYFH
tatters
RollingFreak
whitem8

Always loved Pete's slide! Saw the Who at MSG around 1974, remember Pete stepping on his guitar cord while he was raising his guitar up which resulted in the cord coming out and falling to the ground. Don't know why he didn't put it though the guitar strap. Great concert, glad I went.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I will ask it here - anyone have the six CD Lifehouse Chronicles box set released 2000 and what is your opinion? Always wanted to get it. I assume Pete will talk about the initial failure of this project which resulted in the "Who's Next" album in his book.

The slide in WGFA in the Kids movie was actually staged. Jeff Stein made them do 17 different versions of the song and still wasn't happy, so Townshend agreed to do this slide which was filmed during a nonperformance of the song. Look closely at the slide in the clip--the rest of the band are not even performing. Then, right after the slide, Townshend is on the left side of Roger, when he should be on the right side. This is all explained in the bonus DVD of the deluxe edition of the Kids movie.

Myself, I don't have the 6-CD set of Lifehouse Chronicles, because it's ridiculously expensive--$1,199 new and $800 used. I have the single disc Lifehouse Elements, featuring numerous demos and a 2000 remix version of Who Are You. This disc is still expensive--$115.61 new, so I recommend a second-hand copy, which mine is, which you can get for under $10 (at $6.97).

Here's the 2000 "Gateway remix" of Who Are You:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 11, 2012 00:51

The book is really great, I just finished the first 100 pages. Pete's a great writer and I really am looking forward to the rest. I wonder if Jagger could ever bring himself to do one?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 11, 2012 07:22

stonesnow
2000 LYFH
tatters
RollingFreak
whitem8

The slide in WGFA in the Kids movie was actually staged. Jeff Stein made them do 17 different versions of the song and still wasn't happy, so Townshend agreed to do this slide which was filmed during a nonperformance of the song. Look closely at the slide in the clip--the rest of the band are not even performing. Then, right after the slide, Townshend is on the left side of Roger, when he should be on the right side. This is all explained in the bonus DVD of the deluxe edition of the Kids movie.

Myself, I don't have the 6-CD set of Lifehouse Chronicles, because it's ridiculously expensive--$1,199 new and $800 used. I have the single disc Lifehouse Elements, featuring numerous demos and a 2000 remix version of Who Are You. This disc is still expensive--$115.61 new, so I recommend a second-hand copy, which mine is, which you can get for under $10 (at $6.97).

[www.youtube.com]

What makes this more confounded is that the Elements contains a demo of New Song, that is not found on the Chronicles set!

Date: October 11, 2012 07:27

Happy Jack
stonesnow
2000 LYFH
tatters
RollingFreak
whitem8

[www.youtube.com]

What makes this more confounded is that the Elements contains a demo of New Song, that is not found on the Chronicles set!

Pete must have been taking marketing lessons from Mick. Hey, speaking of whom, in honor of GRRR! I came up with a brand new Stones logo. Lemme know what you think.

Fits their latter-day marketing approach toward new songs, wouldn't you say?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: October 11, 2012 07:28

I'm really looking forward to reading this. I've always loved Pete...I have all of his solo stuff. He's a brilliant song writer. Hey, this is shaping up to be an amazing autumn for rock 'n roll! smoking smiley

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:26

Pete's book is £6.46 at Tescos

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 11, 2012 12:38

Braincapers

Hardback?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:41

Pete Townshend is the only rock star/musician who can craft a better-written book than any music journalist or biographer.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: October 11, 2012 13:49

£6.46 on Amazon for the Hardback right now. Just ordered it, suggested delivery date between the 17th and 20th of October. Not to bad!

Date: October 11, 2012 14:12

His Majesty
Braincapers

Hardback?

yes. I have it in my hand!

Date: October 11, 2012 14:13

mr_c_ox
£6.46 on Amazon for the Hardback right now. Just ordered it, suggested delivery date between the 17th and 20th of October. Not to bad!

It wasn't earlier this morning. Amazon keep their prices competetive.

Date: October 12, 2012 06:06

Even at 538 pages, this book seems too short. So many important events are covered much too quickly. For instance, while he briefly discusses some of the Who's early singles, including "My Generation," there's not a single mention of the My Generation album (released in the states as The Who Sing My Generation, a title even more ludicrous than England's Newest Hitmakers). I wish they had published the complete, unedited, 1,000 page manuscript, in two volumes if necessary. Pete's such a good writer that even at that length, reading his book would be a pleasure, not a chore.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 06:56 by tatters.

Date: October 12, 2012 06:39

Date: October 12, 2012 07:38

tatters

One of my favorites off Quadrophenia. Cool performance that I've never seen, although a bit overdramatic during the chorus part with that video lol.

Favorite line in that song is "I pick up phones, and hear my history."

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 12, 2012 08:36

tatters
Even at 538 pages, this book seems too short. So many important events are covered much too quickly. For instance, while he briefly discusses some of the Who's early singles, including "My Generation," there's not a single mention of the My Generation album (released in the states as The Who Sing My Generation, a title even more ludicrous than England's Newest Hitmakers). I wish they had published the complete, unedited, 1,000 page manuscript, in two volumes if necessary. Pete's such a good writer that even at that length, reading his book would be a pleasure, not a chore.

I totally agree tatters. I also wish more time was spent on the song craft, but it is a hallow criticism when compared to how fracking good the book is.

Date: October 12, 2012 17:44

tatters

Well that's a sign of a great book when 538 pages seems too short! It's interesting to note that Bill Wyman's book Stone Alone is 539 pages (not including the 2 Appendix sections).

Does this book have any appendix's and are there a lot of pictures? Does the Hardcover book seem to be sturdy (pages will not fall out)? And finally, does Pete talk about finances/bank accounts the way Bill did?

Date: October 12, 2012 17:52

stonesnow
2000 LYFH
tatters
RollingFreak
whitem8

[www.youtube.com]

Oh OK on the slide did not know that. Also did not know that the 6 CD was so expensive. Who would spend that kind of money and I cannot even find it on his site (the Box Sets selection is empty)!

Thanks for the link to Who Are You (2000 version) - liked the music. And also played Pure and Easy (Pete Townshend Demo) on YouTube, love that song (any version)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-12 18:00 by 2000 LYFH.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 12, 2012 17:57

It was great to see Pete on The Daily Show earlier this week. He has always been a great interview. Maybe it's up on Youtube, so have a look. This was one of the longer interviews I have seen Jon Stewart conduct, and it seemed clear he enjoyed every minute talking with Pete.

The book arrived in the mail and I look forward to start reading it this weekend.I am sure it will be a good read.

Date: October 13, 2012 02:51

RollingFreak
tatters

One of my favorites off Quadrophenia. Cool performance that I've never seen, although a bit overdramatic during the chorus part with that video lol.

Some of the better songs on Quad are the ones that only ever get played live when they're playing the whole thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 02:55 by tatters.

Date: October 13, 2012 03:02

tatters
RollingFreak
tatters

Some of the better songs on Quad are the ones that only ever get played live when they're playing the whole thing.
Exactly the reason I'm finally going to see them on this tour >grinning smiley<! I'm guaranteed the instrumental title track, Sea And Sand, Doctor Jimmy, The Punk And The Godfather, Is It In My Head, I've Had Enough. The list just goes on and on.

Date: October 13, 2012 15:01

INSIDE THE MEMOIR

10/12/2012

Like he did on Monday at the New York Public Library, Pete Townshend broke out his guitar when he did an in-store appearance Tuesday night at Barnes & Noble in the Union Square section of Manhattan in support of this week's publication of his memoir, Who I Am. Whereas Monday it was two lesser known tracks off Quadrophenia -- "I'm One" and "Drowned" -- on Tuesday it was the anthem "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Prior to Tuesday's acoustic number, Townshend engaged in a question-and-answer session with Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner. And one of the topics discussed was performing with The Who since the death of bassist John Entwistle in 2002. "I have to say as a guitar player, I prefer working without John. When John died, there was a hole in the sound onstage and I was able to grow into that and find space." But he adds that the band's sound will never be the same.

Date: October 14, 2012 16:11

Despite the book's generally somber tone, there are some (unintentionally?) very funny anecdotes, like the one on page 198, where John Sebastian pulls up a chair right next to Pete's and, with their faces only inches apart, earnestly looks into Pete's eyes while singing a new song called "Welcome Back," until Pete, in "excruciating discomfort" as a result of this unwanted intimacy, is "almost ready to scream."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-15 04:27 by tatters.

Date: October 14, 2012 16:18

You'd be ready to scream too, wouldn't you?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-15 03:42 by tatters.

Date: October 14, 2012 23:58

On page 7 of Who I Am Pete recounts one his two earliest memories of being on a beach with his parents riding up on horseback, then turning to ride off. Pete also recounts this in his 1985 book of short stories Horse's Neck. Has anyone read/owned this collection?

Here is the link to a 1988 hour-long radio documentary on the book and the Who:

www.mixcloud.com/david-boyle/1988-radio-documentary-pete-townshend-horses-neck-the-who/

The documentary features a reading of three stories from Horse's Neck by 88 Jazz Street host J. Fraser.

Date: October 17, 2012 02:31

Good 'ol Pete. He'd never fleece us. The price range for Who tickets at my local arena next month is $39.50 to $129.50. And they're playing Quadrophenia, which is arguably superior to anything the Stones have ever done with the possible exception of EOMS.

Date: October 17, 2012 03:27

tatters
Good 'ol Pete. He'd never fleece us. The price range for Who tickets at my local arena next month is $39.50 to $129.50. And they're playing Quadrophenia, which is arguably superior to anything the Stones have ever done with the possible exception of EOMS.

I was able to afford my Who ticket, so no complaining from me on that front. But since the Stones are such royalty and only the upper echelons of financial society are entitled to see them, maybe their stage design should resemble Buckingham Palace, or something.

Date: October 17, 2012 03:33

stonesnow
tatters

I was able to afford my Who ticket, so no complaining from me on that front. But since the Stones are such royalty and only the upper echelons of financial society are entitled to see them, maybe their stage design should resemble Buckingham Palace, or something.

Are you reading Pete's book? What do you think of it? I'm about halfway through it. It's not quite the page-turner I thought it would be. Not quite sure why. Maybe it's the seriousness of it all. I find myself having to re-read some paragraphs just because I'm afraid of missing something profound, and this book is loaded with profundity. I have to put it down at the end of every chapter. It's like, "Okay, Pete. Enough already. Let's just watch the ballgame for awhile."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-17 03:35 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home