Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Keith: - We've booked shows
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 9, 2012 23:37

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 10, 2012 00:20

Correct. They make rules of how many shows and how big tour and all of that. Then it is up to the organizer to make it happen in detail. Sure they do have good control of stuff, but exact dates and venues and stuff like that are less important than getting the songs to work great live.

And yes, Mick do likes to check out and approve venues for club shows, but he hasn't been too busy on that side lately. A good example is the Coimbra show, booked late in the tour because the venue was new and ready, and it was fitting in. Or Sendai was canceled shortly before ticket sales because they did not get the logistics to work. Or 2nd shows added when the first ones sold fast, or adding Metallica to the SF shows when these sold slowly. Or booking the Phoenix less than one week before it actually happened. And so on.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: October 10, 2012 00:23

Thanks kindly BV. I LOVE that it's now a stickie!!

hot smiley

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: October 10, 2012 00:27

club show, forgot about that possibility. interesting to think about that in light of everything else happening.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: October 10, 2012 00:31

chelskeith
club show, forgot about that possibility. interesting to think about that in light of everything else happening.

I certainly WOULD NOT rule out a surprise club show (or more??).

Just tossing that thought out there in order for everyone to be prepared.

smiling smiley

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:08

I have been to a couple of tour openers and found them quite rough even with a club show warm-up. I don't see how they are going to rehearse for 1 month and then jump on stage for four shows and expect them to go smoothly?

Posted by: bigpond ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:22

A bright light from the East. Sat 03 November.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:22

georgeV
then jump on stage for four shows and expect them to go smoothly?

Who says they are expecting that ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:43

I've always preferred the first shows of a Stones tour compared to the last shows. Everything is still fresh and vibrant in the beginning...mistakes and clunkers included. I hope that's the Stones I see in these shows (whether I'm there in person or watching it on YouTube)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 10, 2012 01:55

georgeV
I have been to a couple of tour openers and found them quite rough even with a club show warm-up. I don't see how they are going to rehearse for 1 month and then jump on stage for four shows and expect them to go smoothly?

How difficult is it? Seriously? And how come everyone else can do that with ease yet different allowances and expectations are made for 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' ?

If a band of so-called professional musicians cant put together a set of 20 well-played songs after a rehearsal of over a month they have no business even playing in the backroom of a pub with a £5 cover charge let alone in front of 20,000 people who have paid about a week's salary to witness it.

The difference between these shows and a tour is that they only need to rehearse enough songs for a show of about two hours. When the Stones prepare for a tour, they work on about 100-120 songs over a period of 5-6 weeks.

There is no reason in the world why these shows cant 'go smoothly'. And they'll almost certainly play a small warm up gig or two before them anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-10 02:26 by Gazza.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: October 10, 2012 02:54

Great to see all this.
Bring it on!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 10, 2012 03:03

Justin
I hope there are only London shows and no NYC shows so I can stop mulling over if I want to drop all this money on a NY show.

Bite your tongue Justin, I am holding out hope I'll be able to get a ticket and go if they come to NYC. This is great news!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 10, 2012 05:47

haha yup, my comment was selfishly just for me because I'm in LA...reeaally not looking forward to the prospect of dropping cash on an expensive ticket and then plane fare and hotel etc...

For anyone in NYC...it should be a no-brainer to go.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 10, 2012 07:01

Justin
One thing that can hugely improve the warhorses is if they shave off 4 minutes from these ridiculous triathalon versions that go 5-7 minutes long in length. They're using the tired idea that the bigger the song--the longer it has to be.

Charlie and the band pace themselves so much for these epic 7 minute renditions that it limits them creatively from doing anything else with these songs. They automatically go on auto-pilot because they know they need to save their energy for the duration of the entire song. It's very limiting and traps them all into a very small area to create something new with these songs.

ALSO, they have to 'fit in' with the inevitable video creation running behind then nowdays, which therefore by necessity takes away the possibility of creativity or 'jamming' on stage...not that they have ever been great in that regards in my opinion, save for Midnight Rambler.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Date: October 10, 2012 10:08

Gazza
georgeV

How difficult is it? Seriously? And how come everyone else can do that with ease yet different allowances and expectations are made for 'the greatest rock n roll band in the world' ?

If a band of so-called professional musicians cant put together a set of 20 well-played songs after a rehearsal of over a month they have no business even playing in the backroom of a pub with a £5 cover charge let alone in front of 20,000 people who have paid about a week's salary to witness it.

The difference between these shows and a tour is that they only need to rehearse enough songs for a show of about two hours. When the Stones prepare for a tour, they work on about 100-120 songs over a period of 5-6 weeks.

There is no reason in the world why these shows cant 'go smoothly'. And they'll almost certainly play a small warm up gig or two before them anyway.

You're right, but then again this is the Stones we're talking about here - the very same professionals who played in Philly in 1981 winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-10 10:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 10, 2012 13:30

bv
... But there will be London shows, due to be announced pretty soon.

I count on this oneeye rolling smiley

Posted by: chemicalreaction ()
Date: October 10, 2012 14:19

Silver Dagger
Gonna be next year now, I'm sure.

This is also my opinion!!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 10, 2012 16:34

imho the series of concert photos from all eras that are being posted on the band fb profile these days confirm a forthcoming announcement

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 10, 2012 17:23

More:

[www.nme.com]

The Rolling Stones look set to play two shows in London in November, according to the band's long-time saxophonist.

Earlier this week, (October 8) guitarist Keith Richards revealed that the band have been booked to play live shows in London and New York, although he didn't reveal when the dates would take place.

Now the band's sax player Bobby Keys has said that the shows will take place in November, as previously denied by the band. "[The Rolling Stones are] gonna do some more concerts, starting in November with two in England and then a couple here in the States, then there's a few added concerts after that," Keys told Billboard.

"Keith told me a couple months ago there was something in the wind and just be ready to go. I'm waiting for them to send me the plane ticket and the information, and then I'll go," he said.

Music industry website Record Of The Day reports that it is rumoured that the dates will be November 25 and 29, but this has not been confirmed.

When asked if the shows will mark the last live performances from the band, Keys added: "The reality is this train is going to pull into the last station pretty soon – I don't know how soon. I've been saying this since 1980!" he said. "But I feel like it's kind of winding down. This may be sort of the 'Sayonara, see you later, had a good time, keep in touch.' I don't know that for sure. I haven't officially been told anything... I just take my cue primarily from what Keith says, so we'll have to see."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-10 17:24 by andrewt.

Date: October 10, 2012 19:00

andrewt
Now the band's sax player Bobby Keys has said that the shows will take place in November, as previously denied by the band.

When did they deny it? Can't remember anything like that.

Date: October 10, 2012 19:14

They said no shows were confirmed as yet when denying the Songkick site's listing of two 02 arena shows for 23 and 30th march.

Which is, of course, standard practice. One or two of the more shitstirring websites carefully edited their stories to make it look as if they had written off the shows rumoured for November when the story the Stones were denying specifically related to March 2013.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: October 10, 2012 19:22

Anyway, the matter is how to get the tickets.

Date: October 10, 2012 19:25

or how to afford them!

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: October 10, 2012 19:27

Right!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 10, 2012 20:45

Gazza

EXACTLY!!!

The more you think about it, the more clearly pathetic the whole thing is. We are all witnessing 'The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band' completely $#!t the bed and fail miserably - this time BEFORE we even hear a note of new or live music from them. Very, very sad. I'll pass.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 10, 2012 20:55

Gazza
or how to afford them!

Is it really a step by step process ?. I don't believe in that. When you have sort of been with this band for something like 50 years, it's an impulse. You press the button instantly.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 10, 2012 21:15

The only do-able dates with a day between at The O2 now are between 18 and 21 November.
Wembley Arena, however, has 12 to 22 November completely unbooked. It's a less obvious choice, but they did play there on the Licks tour.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 10, 2012 21:20

<<The only do-able dates with a day between at The O2 now are between 18 and 21 November.>>

This statement is false!

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 10, 2012 21:24

Beast
<<The only do-able dates with a day between at The O2 now are between 18 and 21 November.>>

This statement is false!

Really, well I looked through what is booked there on Ticketmaster and if they do two shows in November within a 3 day block with a day off between them I'd say that is the only option. If they split two shows far apart then there are a few other options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-10 21:35 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 10, 2012 21:34

Maybe the shows are more than one day apart... winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home