Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Not Fade Away - The Movie
Posted by: Hurristone ()
Date: October 6, 2012 02:45

Watch out for the soundtrack album.

Re: Not Fade Away - The Movie
Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: October 6, 2012 03:43

I'm excited - it's playing at the Memphis Indie fest the first weekend in November and it's in NYC this weekend (I think). Anyone seen it yet?smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 6, 2012 04:56

memphiscats
I'm excited - it's playing at the Memphis Indie fest the first weekend in November and it's in NYC this weekend (I think). Anyone seen it yet?smoking smiley
Thanks for the tip. Is this movie fictional about the times and music, or is it based on real people? Even the imdb page for it doesnt say much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-06 04:59 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: October 6, 2012 05:04

'Sopranos' creator Chase premieres 'Not Fade Away'
By JAKE COYLE, AP Entertainment Writer – 4 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — David Chase has returned with his first work since "The Sopranos" went black.

The director premiered his debut film, "Not Fade Away," at the New York Film Festival on Friday ahead of its red carpet gala Saturday. The '60s rock 'n' roll drama is his long-awaited follow-up to the venerated HBO mob drama he created and produced for six seasons.

The film is set around a suburban teenager (John Magaro) in New Jersey whose garage band aspires to be the next Rolling Stones, an ambition at odds with his traditional Italian father (former "Sopranos" star James Gandolfini).

In a press conference at Lincoln Center, Chase called the film, soundtracked by his favorite rock songs, "a compilation album."

"In 'The Sopranos,' one of my favorite parts of that — or maybe my favorite part of that whole thing — was putting the picture and the sound together, putting the music in," Chase said. "I wanted to continue that. I missed that once I was gone."

The film, which Paramount Vantage will release on Dec. 21, is about the revolutionary advent of rock 'n' roll, told not through its famous players but, as Chase said, from "the backstage" perspective — the regular suburban kids inspired and moved by its spirit.

"I don't want to get into this thing, like I'm bragging about the '60s," he said. "But the one thing I have to say: The music was great. ... Music was, at the time, a way into everything, at least for me and for a lot of people I knew, too. That's the way I first learned about art and poetry and fashion, humor, film. It all came from there."

The 67-year-old Chase has long aspired to make a feature film. His "Sopranos," which concluded in 2007, was imbued with movie-like storytelling that significantly raised the bar for television drama. "Not Fade Away," while of very different and more tender substance, shares many unmistakable elements of "The Sopranos," particularly the familiar swirl of family tension, pop culture, philosophy and suburban life.

Though Chase said the film is very personal to him, he insisted it wasn't autobiographical. Chase, like the main character, played drums as a youngster, but he refused to even label himself and his friends "a band."

"I never even bought a set of drums," said Chase. "I played on cardboard boxes and stuff. We never got out of the basement."
On the Net:

[www.filmlinc.com]

Copyright © 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Date: October 6, 2012 05:11

Thanks Turner... and good luck in the playoffs

Posted by: stones1962 ()
Date: October 6, 2012 15:46

I'm looking forward to this one as well. I see ABKCO is also putting out the soundtrack album. There is supposed to be a lot of Stones songs in this movie.

Rob

Date: October 6, 2012 19:30

From The Hollywood Reporter

Not Fade Away: New York Film Festival Review
3:01 PM PDT 10/5/2012 by David Rooney

The Bottom Line
In his first feature, David Chase returns to the New Jersey suburbs to cast a bittersweet glance back at the rock-fueled restlessness of the Sixties.

John Magaro, Bella Heathcote and James Gandolfini star in 'The Sopranos' creator David Chase's debut feature, a music-infused personal reflection on growing up in the 1960s.

NEW YORK – One of the many attributes that made The Sopranos such epically great American television was its idiosyncratic use of music. So it’s both unsurprising and entirely fitting that for his first feature, the creator of that series, David Chase, has made a movie not only stacked with inspired music choices, but fundamentally about the formative influence of music on a generation.

It’s also appropriate that Not Fade Away takes its title from a song popularized by Buddy Holly and by The Rolling Stones. This deeply personal reflection on growing up in the 1960s captures a shift in rock ‘n’ roll that had its roots in the transition between those artists – a revolution that continued rippling through the broader culture in the decade that followed, in ways both concrete and intangible.

The film may be too meandering for mainstream acceptance, but its focus will make the Paramount Vantage release connect directly with many baby boomers. It’s also a warm, funny, poignant scrapbook that evokes a spirit of youth still relatable in later eras. (Watch the trailer here.)

Movies about bands such as The Commitments, Backbeat, That Thing You Do!, Control and The Runaways tend most often to chronicle the formation, the early struggles or the rise and fall. The efforts of a group of friends in the comfortable New Jersey suburbs to break out of their garages and into the music industry are a large part of Chase’s film. But that story is more of a canvas for a gently reflective coming-of-age drama, providing a vague kinship with Cameron Crowe’s Almost Famous.

More than that, however, Not Fade Away is a richly contextualized snapshot of changing social dynamics, examining the conflict between traditional middle-class values of security and stability and the restless hunger for creative fulfillment. Politics and the civil rights movement are part of the movie’s backdrop, but its depiction of the fumbling search for personal and artistic freedom is shaped as much by pop culture. Books, movies, television and especially music supply the juice here, dipping into everything from The Twilight Zone to Antonioni.

Drawing directly from Chase’s youthful experience as a drummer in a Garden State band, the central character is Douglas (John Magaro). He plays covers of Bo Diddley, the Stones and the Kinks at local parties in a group led by his friends Gene (Jack Huston) and Wells (Will Brill). While Douglas shoots dreamy-eyed glances at high-school beauty Grace (Bella Heathcote), she seems to be more jock-inclined. That changes when lead vocalist Gene has to skip a gig after swallowing a lit joint and Douglas steps in, proving himself the superior singer.

Along with ferment in the band, the film also follows Douglas’ uneasy relationship with his Italian-American family, typified by a hilariously tense Christmas dinner. Magaro looks at times uncannily like a young Bob Dylan, and when he comes home from college with a mop of curls, a pea coat and Cuban-heeled boots, his depressive mother (Molly Price) shakes her head in disgust while his father, Pat (James Gandolfini), says he looks like he just got off the boat at Ellis Island.

When Pat is diagnosed with cancer the pull is felt to bring Douglas back into the family fold. But Chase is less interested in that conflict than in the wistfulness with which hardass Pat comes to view his son’s exploratory steps toward self-discovery, and the regrets of his own life. Gandolfini plays these realizations with affecting subtle strokes, notably in one particularly lovely moment set to the unexpected strains of “Bali Ha’i” from South Pacific.

It might be argued that Chase dilutes his focus by digressing into the troubles of Grace’s conservative family concerning her unstable, artsy sister (Dominique McElligott). But this serves to push Grace and Douglas back together after a rift, and also to illustrate more tragic manifestations of the WWII generation’s fear of change.

There’s a loose, collage quality to the storytelling, with extended intimate exchanges interspersed among short scene fragments. This suggests that while Chase is moving into features, he is not abandoning the unhurried pace and ample breathing room of long-form television. It’s a welcome unconventional touch that the guiding voiceover – for once used with refreshing economy – doesn’t come from the obvious source of Douglas, but from his kid sister (Meg Guzulescu). She observes from the sidelines until stepping into center-screen in a wonderfully odd coda that hints at the next transition to come.

The film is more driven by tone and texture than performance, but the characters are all sharply drawn with an affectionate embrace of their flaws, among them Huston’s resentful egomaniac Gene, and Brill’s philosophizing Wells. Magaro plays the rebellious side of Douglas as well as his burgeoning sense of self in appealing low-key mode. And Australian import Heathcote, who showed promise in Dark Shadows, reveals a more immediately captivating delicacy here.

Cinematographer Eigil Bryld provides a deft balance of grit and gloss in the visuals, matched by the scrupulous yet understated attention to period detail in Ford Wheeler’s production design and Catherine Marie Thomas’ costumes. Some images will make anyone who lived through the era laugh out loud, such as a room full of girls languidly puffing on cigarettes, staring transfixed and intoxicated at a B&W television as Mick Jagger sings “I Just Want to Make Love to You” on Hollywood Palace.

Chase’s Sopranos paisan Steven Van Zandt serves as music producer, curating an eclectic selection of vintage tracks that rigorously avoids the obvious. (The deployment of Tracy Nelson’s haunting vocals on Mother Earth’s “Down So Low” is genius.) Van Zandt also wrote a terrific song titled “The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre” to serve as Douglas and Co.’s first foray into original material. It has more than enough kick to feed the melancholy undertow when their career plans don’t pan out.

Venue: New York Film Festival (Paramount Vantage; opens Dec. 21)

Production companies: Paramount Vantage, Indian Paintbrush, Gran Via, Chase Films

Cast: John Magaro, Jack Huston, Will Brill, James Gandolfini, Bella Heathcote, Molly Price, Lisa Lampanelli, Meg Guzulescu, Dominique McElligott, Christopher McDonald, Brad Garrett, Isiah Whitlock Jr.

Director-screenwriter: David Chase

Producer: Mark Johnson

Executive producers: Steven M. Rales, Mark Roybal, Steven Van Zandt, Kerry Orent

Director of photography: Eigil Bryld

Production designer: Ford Wheeler

Music supervisor: Steven Van Zandt

Costume designer: Catherine Marie Thomas

Editor: Sidney Wolinski

R rating, 112 minutes

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: October 6, 2012 22:22

Thanks for sharing these details, Max. Can't wait to see it. cool smiley

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: October 7, 2012 06:27

Date: October 7, 2012 06:32

memphiscats
Thanks for sharing these details, Max. Can't wait to see it. cool smiley
My pleasure mc, thanks for letting me know about it smiling smiley

Date: October 9, 2012 02:33

Here is a cool article I found about the new movie "Not Fade Away".

[www.examiner.com]

"Not Fade Away," the first feature film directed by "The Sopranos" creator David Chase, was somewhat shrouded in mystery before its world premiere, but what was known about the basic story was that it was set in the 1960s and it was about a struggling New Jersey band that was greatly influenced by the Rolling Stones. Steven Van Zandt is an executive producer of the film and the producer of the film's soundtrack. On October 6, 2012, I attended the world premiere of "Not Fade Away," which was held at Alice Tully Hall in New York City, as part of the 2012 New York Film Festival. "Not Fade Away" opens in U.S. cinemas on December 21, 21012.
Chase, Van Zandt and "Not Fade Away" stars John Magaro and Bella Heathcote appeared on stage when Chase did a brief introductory speech before the screening. Chase said that even though the movie's main character, Douglas Albano (played by Magaro), is a drummer in a New Jersey band (just like Chase was in his youth), the story in the movie is not autobiographical or a docudrama, because all of the main characters are fictional. Chase noted that the only other true-to-life similarity in the movie is when Heathcoate's privileged and popular Grace character (Douglas' love interest) says to Magaro's Douglas character, "Time is on your side." Chase said that his future wife had said that to him at a time when they were dating and had broken up.
"The Sopranos" star James Gandolfini plays Douglas' stern father, who disapproves of Douglas' decision to drop out of college and be a full-time musician. Molly Price plays Douglas' high-strung, worrisome mother. Other cast members include Jack Huston, Brahm Vaccarella and Will Brill as the other musicians in the band. They all attended the premiere, except for Gandolfini, who could not attend the premiere or after-party since his wife is due to give birth. Billy Connolly, Richard Schiff ("The West Wing"), Richard Belzer ("Law & Order") and "The Sopranos" alum Aida Turturro were among those who were also at the premiere. The after-party was held at A Voce restaurant, and attendees included "Not Fade Away" cast members and filmmakers, as well as those who were not involved in making the film, such as Anjelica Huston (Jack's aunt) and Lorraine Bracco ("The Sopranos").
In his speech at the movie's premiere, Chase also thanked Paramount Pictures (which is releasing "Not Fade Away" on on its Paramount Vantage label for smaller-budgeted films) for distributing the movie at a time when he said that most major film studios these days "don't release movies like this."
Chase also said the reason why he did "Not Fade Away" for his feature-film directorial debut (he also wrote the movie and is one of the film's producers) was because he always wanted to make a movie about a time when "rock'n'roll was the most important thing in my life ... Now it's one of the three most important things in my life."
"Not Fade Away" (which takes place from 1963 to 1967) is a drama that isn't just a story about a band that struggles to find fame and fortune. It's also a romance. It's a story about friendships. And it's a portrayal of the generation gap and the changing social times, when the Vietnam War, civil rights for African-Americans, and sexual liberation were all hot-button issues.
The movie, which makes excellent use of the rock'n'roll hits from that era, has its quirky moments. For example, there are some close-up shots that are unusual, such as when the camera lingers on Douglas' ear in one scene or when the crash of drum cymbals is seen from the perspective of the drums. It's also not a movie that ties up the story in a neat little bow at the end. People will either love or hate the ending. And the original songs performed by the band in the movie might be considered somewhat forgettable.
Douglas has an open-minded younger sister named Evelyn and nicknamed Evy (played by Meg Guzulescu), who is the narrator of the film, and she drifts in and out of the story. Some critics might not like the inconsistency of this narration. The other criticism the movie might get is that with the exception of Magaro, the other actors playing the band members look too old to be playing characters that are supposed to be in their late teens and early 20s.
However, the movie accurately portrays that period of time in the 1960s, when men having long hair was still considered dangerous in society, and when trying to make a living in a rock band was still considered outlandish to the average American family.
The band in the movie goes through different name changes and lineup variations. Douglas goes from being a misfit in his high school who desperately wants to join the band to being the band's drummer to being the band's Bob Dylan look-alike lead singer and eventual band leader.
There is a scene early on in the movie that recreates Mick Jagger and Keith Richards as school boys bonding over their mutual love of blues records at a train station in Dartford, England. (This meeting is considered by many to be the birth of the Rolling Stones.)
The Rolling Stones songs in the movie are the band's cover songs that the Stones did early in their career, such as "Not Fade Away," "Time Is on Our Side" and "The Last Time." There is footage of the Stones' first U.S. TV show performance (doing "I Just Want to Make Love to You" on the "The Hollywood Palace") and host Dean Martin's disdainful reaction to the band. "Not Fade Away" is a relatively low-budget movie and presumably could not afford to license the Rolling Stones songs that were written by Jagger and Richards.
The Beatles are also shown as an influence on the band in the movie, although the Beatles are not as influential to the "Not Fade Away" band as the Rolling Stones are. For example, one of the band members is transfixed when he hears the Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on the radio, but it's the Rolling Stones' appearance on "The Hollywood Palace" that ignites Douglas' desire to be a musician in a rock band. John Mayall's 1966 album "Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton" is featured prominently in a couple of scenes. And the Small Faces' "Itchycoo Park" is part of a pivotal scene.
Toward the end of the movie, Douglas sees Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts (played by an actor, of course) at a Los Angeles party but doesn't get to talk to him because Watts is too far away, surrounded by an entourage, and eventually Watts leaves in a car.
Chase and Van Zandt (another alum of "The Sopranos") are longtime Rolling Stones fans, so it's no surprise that "Not Fade Away" captures the essence of what the Rolling Stones meant to young people in the '60s who loved the blues and rock'n'roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-09 02:38 by stones1962.

Date: October 9, 2012 02:39

I don't know how these smiley faces got on there. LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home