Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Taylor Swift's "epic opening show"
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 20, 2023 14:05

What Made Taylor Swift’s Concert Unbelievable

"At her epic opening show, the pop star played 44 songs and conjured actual magic."

As much as her appeal escapes me, it would seem that Taylor Swift is the Mick Jagger of today's young performers. I hope the Stones will "conjure actual magic" when they next perform, like the article says she did.

Drew

Re: OT: Taylor Swift's "epic opening show"
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 20, 2023 15:29

I'm not a fan but do think she is talented. Sounds like the show was pretty epic. She's sold out 2 days in the football stadium in Seattle. That's pretty impressive.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 20, 2023 15:42

Caught Taylor five years ago in Manchester with my teenage daughters - it was the same week as the stones at old Trafford, but was at the etihad). got to say I didn’t have high hopes but she was excellent.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 20, 2023 16:09

drewmaster

As much as her appeal escapes me, it would seem that Taylor Swift is the Mick Jagger of today's young performers. I hope the Stones will "conjure actual magic" when they next perform, like the article says she did.

Drew

You cannot compare an artist who is at the peak of her worldwide popularity and with a tour that is in the stratosphere musically and visually, with a band over 60 years old with only 2 original members and that does only 14 shows every 12 -15 months and released only one album of new material in over 25 years.

Be happy if the Stones tour again and play the warhorses halfway close to the originals, let alone play 44 songs in one night.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 21, 2023 11:59

I was about to say how everything these days counts as epic but the verdict "pretty epic" already sums it all up

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 21, 2023 12:40

What strikes me about Taylor is that she might be the only artist in the world who fills stadiums mostly with fans. If you know about her catalogue you will notice that her setlist on this tour isn't the usual greatest hits stadium setlist. Of course she has also some "warhorses" like "shake it off" or "love story", but playing 12 indie-folk songs from folklore and evermore which are not stadium-songs at all is a very brave thing that most artists wouldn't dare to do. Even more fascinating how almost all the people in the stadium know the words to these songs. Taylor just plays by her own rules. Who else could release a 10-minute song these days and make it to number 1?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-21 12:43 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 21, 2023 20:47

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-21 20:48 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 21, 2023 21:30

StonedRambler
What strikes me about Taylor is that she might be the only artist in the world who fills stadiums mostly with fans. If you know about her catalogue you will notice that her setlist on this tour isn't the usual greatest hits stadium setlist. Of course she has also some "warhorses" like "shake it off" or "love story", but playing 12 indie-folk songs from folklore and evermore which are not stadium-songs at all is a very brave thing that most artists wouldn't dare to do. Even more fascinating how almost all the people in the stadium know the words to these songs. Taylor just plays by her own rules. Who else could release a 10-minute song these days and make it to number 1?

I was thinking the same thing as I read thru the setlist for Night 1 and Night 2. HARDLY the stuff of a stadium concert, but interesting to say the least!!!! I give her props. She is this generation's Elvis, Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-21 21:30 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 21, 2023 22:09

StonedRambler

These days? Maybe not, but Bowie released a 10 minute number one song Blackstar in 2016.

Date: March 21, 2023 22:43

I really like the ideas and designs from the Taylor's tour. It really makes me look forward to the new Stones album and tour. I hope they can do something similar, a special and fresh concept, with a setting similar to the A Bigger Bang Tour but with a modern and distinctive style on this 2023. Pretty excited for what's coming thumbs up

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: March 21, 2023 22:52

One person who was live streaming the show had 30,000+ fans watching

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 21, 2023 23:56

NashvilleBlues
StonedRambler

These days? Maybe not, but Bowie released a 10 minute number one song Blackstar in 2016.

The album reached #1 on both, UK/US after Bowie's death, but the song reached #61 in the UK and #78 in the US.

Swift's song (All Too Well) is the longest song to reach the #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 at 10 minutes, 13 seconds.

Songwriter: Taylor Swift/Liz Rose
Producer: Taylor Swift/Jack Antonof
Music Vídeo: Directed by Taylor Swift
Charts: #1 US, #3 UK

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 22, 2023 00:01

drewmaster
"... the pop star played 44 songs ..."

Drew

44 songs? I'm not sure if I would really like to sit through 44 songs even if it' my favourite artist ...
Imagne the Grateful Dead had played 44 song sets. Would have lasted the whole night and then yet well some hours into the next day...

A 44 song set is also evidence of a remarkable no-need-to-pee capability ...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 22, 2023 01:08

Imagine Iron Butterfly performing
In A Gadda-Da-Vida 44 times in a row .....

That was their main warhorse wasnt it ?????????????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 22, 2023 03:01

doitywoik
drewmaster

Drew

44 songs? I'm not sure if I would really like to sit through 44 songs even if it' my favourite artist ...
Imagne the Grateful Dead had played 44 song sets. Would have lasted the whole night and then yet well some hours into the next day...

44 2 minute songs is a 90 minute set. Not saying they are but its like McCartney shows. Short songs, no extended jams. I am tempted if I can find a reasonably priced ticket to roll my Schoeps.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 22, 2023 07:25

I can’t imagine this not being the biggest tour ever, she’s playing football stadiums sometimes three nights in a row, I mean the SAME stadium 3 nights in a row.
5 nights in SoFi, in Houston 3 nights, Tampa 3 nights, those are NFL stadiums. It’s mind blowing. The girl is a phenomenon.

If you look at those old tour records like U2 360 and all that it’s kinda bullshit.they tour Europe and come back a year later after being in the States and oh, this is “ third leg” then the fourth leg and whatever.

A real tour is a string of consecutive dates and I’ve never seen anything close to this. what does she call it the ERAS Tour? Well this sure is her era.

Date: March 22, 2023 14:25

lem motlow
I can’t imagine this not being the biggest tour ever, she’s playing football stadiums sometimes three nights in a row, I mean the SAME stadium 3 nights in a row.
5 nights in SoFi, in Houston 3 nights, Tampa 3 nights, those are NFL stadiums. It’s mind blowing. The girl is a phenomenon.

If you look at those old tour records like U2 360 and all that it’s kinda bullshit.they tour Europe and come back a year later after being in the States and oh, this is “ third leg” then the fourth leg and whatever.

A real tour is a string of consecutive dates and I’ve never seen anything close to this. what does she call it the ERAS Tour? Well this sure is her era.

Also 3 in a row in Nashville (Nissan Arena. Home of the Titans). Friday-Sunday. She went to the high school 5 minutes from my house. I imagine her classmates were all competing for second in the talent shows!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 22, 2023 14:25

daspyknows
doitywoik
drewmaster

Drew

44 2 minute songs is a 90 minute set. Not saying they are but its like McCartney shows. Short songs, no extended jams. I am tempted if I can find a reasonably priced ticket to roll my Schoeps.

Taylor's songs average 3-4 minutes each. Even if one were to go with 3 minutes, that's over 3 hours. Yes some are shorter, but then there was also the 10-minute song as well. I believe - if memory serves - there was a medley of a couple songs in the set, but please let's not downplay what this young lady is accomplishing. We may never see anything like this again, and she is quite possibly laying down the blueprint and foundation for the modern music industry, which she has helped to mold and change already several times over since her arrival. Her fanbase is 2nd to none.

Date: March 22, 2023 14:27

daspyknows
doitywoik
drewmaster

Drew

44 2 minute songs is a 90 minute set. Not saying they are but it’s like McCartney shows. Short songs, no extended jams. I am tempted if I can find a reasonably priced ticket to roll my Schoeps.

Surely you’d agree that a 3 hour 15 minute show is epic regardless of the number of songs played.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 22, 2023 16:29

VoodooLounge13
daspyknows
doitywoik
drewmaster

Drew

Taylor's songs average 3-4 minutes each. Even if one were to go with 3 minutes, that's over 3 hours. Yes some are shorter, but then there was also the 10-minute song as well. I believe - if memory serves - there was a medley of a couple songs in the set, but please let's not downplay what this young lady is accomplishing. We may never see anything like this again, and she is quite possibly laying down the blueprint and foundation for the modern music industry, which she has helped to mold and change already several times over since her arrival. Her fanbase is 2nd to none.

Not downplaying the show or tour but counting the number of songs really doesn't matter to me. Back in the day one of my favorite Grateful Dead sets was 5 songs plus drums. Would a Stones show be better with more songs dropping a couple of the long ones where they jam out? Its personal preference and the actual performance.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 23, 2023 23:21

StonedRambler

Stadiums? Maybe but Bad Bunny, Beyonce, etc play stadiums too. SZA is probably next.

I notice it's like this at most shows where the fan base is younger whether it's 500 or 50,000. They aren't spending an insane amount of money (in teenager dollars) to talk to their friend about laundry or whatever or beer run every other song.

But then I have no problem saying over and over again that classic rock fans are the absolute worst people to be surrounded by at a concert.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home